LCD-X and XC Update
Feb 4, 2022 at 1:23 PM Post #1,591 of 2,740
Keep tinkering with my EQ for the LCD-X 2021, it's implemented on the "RME Adi-2 Dac", hence it's limited to a few settings:

Low shelf 65Hz, +4,5 dB of Q 0,8
Peak 230Hz, -1,0 dB of Q 0,7
Peak 950Hz, -1,0 dB of Q 0,5
Peak 3500Hz, +2,0 dB of Q 2,0
Peak 11.700Hz, -3.0 dB of Q 3,0

For the RME users I would like to add, I like it also with „Crossfeed“ level 1 (a bit)
in combination with „width“ 0.95.

Critical feedback for further optimization is welcome 🙏
Audeze has on hand the frequency response curve for your specific headphones, and will send it to you on request. I had printed mine off, and adjusted it to make it look like the Harman curve.

4000 Hz or so, I had raised 4 to 4.5 db most of them need more than 2 db.

I had low shelved at 1700 Hz by 1.5 db, to flatten out the curve to 2000 Hz, while leaving the factory provided gentle bass rise in place. You are doing a similar thing with your 230 Hz and 950 Hz cuts. My bass doesn't drop until 38 Hz and I had put a low shelf there.

-1 db is inaudible to me. Your Q values are rather broad; there's tools where you can see what you are doing graphically

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2022 at 5:52 PM Post #1,592 of 2,740
I recently acquired a new LCD-X and love how it sounds with my Woo WA6-SE amp.

The EQ settings seem intriguing. I had previously used a MiniDSP NanoDIGI initially, then BruteFIR via Volumio integration to EQ my old Audeze Sine headphones as per the settings recommended here - https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/7bxpvu/public_service_announcement_eq_settings_for_all/.

Somehow I enjoyed the change via the NanoDIGI but there was something about the BruteFIR DSP implementation that had me going back to no EQ, which I found less fatiguing.

I wonder if it could also be related to a greatly upgraded front end that I added in the interim - better DAC, transport and clocking…

Cheers,

Chris

Feb 5, 2022 at 2:08 AM Post #1,593 of 2,740
thanks , that is good advice and I will do that from now on.
Actually, the HP are brand new so I think they came with a long leather strap from the factory.
I contacted Audeze support and they kindly offered me a replacement strap which should be shorter than the one I have.
The leather band finally arrived, and I can confirm that mine was longer by a almost a centimeter. I have now installed the new one and comfort increased substantially!

Attachments

• 58D86CBC-24FE-4944-BE56-EE30D98E67D4.jpeg
    58D86CBC-24FE-4944-BE56-EE30D98E67D4.jpeg
    309.3 KB · Views: 0
Feb 5, 2022 at 3:12 AM Post #1,594 of 2,740
I bought a new set of Audeze pads from a local Audeze dealer. But I`m a bit in doubt that the pads I got are the new updated open cell foam type. When I picked them up I had him double check that these were the new updated pads via the article numbers. He said they got them from Audeze last year. It really seems that they do have memory foam. They do have the felt ring that go against the cups.

I made a GIF and took photos comparing them to Dekoni`s elite leather pads (which do have memory foam). Can anyone verify one way or another from looking at the GIF and photos? gif, photo 1, photo 2

Thanks!

Feb 5, 2022 at 10:35 AM Post #1,595 of 2,740
It's very exciting to see so many satisfied owners of the 2021 LCD-X's, and as someone with the launch LCD-2C's I've been very tempted to upgrade.

I currently use Oratory1990's EQ for my 2C's, and listen to mostly Metal & Rock / Electronic & Synthwave. I value the deep sub-bass frequencies versus physical slam if I had to pick, however I've felt I've been able to achieve a nice balance of both with the 2C's with the EQ. Based on reports here, especially once EQ'ed, the X's will be a tier above for everything? I'm a drummer so I do enjoy the physical slam as well, especially tight kick pedal bass drum sounds.

I also listen to my 2C's at the shortest possible headband sizing, so I wonder if I may need Audeze to send me their shorter headband if I pull the trigger (or possibly even have it already installed before shipping?). Seems like it's a simple replacement process at home though.

Feb 5, 2022 at 11:52 AM Post #1,598 of 2,740
The Chord Mojo 2 with "UHD DSP" is shipping now. I'm looking forward to see which Mojo 2 DSP settings work best with the 2021 LCD-X cans.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2022 at 8:26 PM Post #1,599 of 2,740
Unfortunately I can't replicate this EQ, but it looks good.

Your tip about a low shelf around the area 1.7KHz is useful, it saves me a filter that I could use elsewhere.
The RME screen shows the influence of the EQ-settings.

With my EQ, the biggest errors in the frequency response of the LCD-X have been removed, and the spatial representation has become more realistic:

Peak 20Hz, +6,0dB of Q 0,5
Low shelf 1.900Hz, -1,5 dB of Q 2,0
Peak 4.000Hz, +2,5 dB of Q 2,5
Peak 5.600Hz, -2,0 dB of Q 3,0
Peak 11.700Hz, -3.0 dB of Q 3,0

Constructive feedback is welcome 🙏
Your last one's a bit low. There's no content in the music at 20 Hz. The lowest note of a bass guitar is 41 Hz. The lowest note of a church pipe organ, is 28 Hz. Most people only have a lot of content at 60 Hz or below if they play something that has a lot of synth tracks (most applicable to EDM). I had first tested Audeze headphones, using one of the discs I had grown up with, U2's The Joshua Tree. The first song and the last song, in particular, have Daniel Lanois playing a synthesizer. My standard bass test over the years had been the first few bars of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon (but that one is less applicable to headphones, and more applicable to me trying to room EQ my subwoofer). What I'm trying to say is, my next step would be testing music that has a lot of content below 100 Hz, in evaluating my own EQ under 150 Hz.

I have a trough at 4.1 kHz and I use Q=4.

Pinna compensation region is deliberately engineered that way. I too have a peak at 5.6 kHz, but not one I feel I need to EQ.

I can't hear much above 13 kHz anymore, so I don't EQ that region. I have a hump at 10.7 kHz that I had dropped by 5 db, Q was 6.

I hadn't liked Oratory1990's EQ, or Amir's. In reference to the former, I think it's better to use fewer and more gradual filters, than trying to fix sharp spikes. It's evident that Audeze feels this way; their FR curves are highly smoothed.

Grover Neville at Audeze who had worked at Inner Fidelity after Tyll had left, has videos on YouTube. In one of them, he had said with DSP parametric EQ, it's better to drop, not raise, or else the word size keeps getting bigger. He's very knowledgeable.

I have Reveal+ and it sounds about the same as my EQ, but with a lesser soundstage as I enhance that in JRiver. Reveal+ can't correct for your specific headphone, but in my case my custom curve corrections, hadn't made it sound any better. The subtle differences, hadn't turned out to be audible.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2022 at 1:46 AM Post #1,600 of 2,740
I hadn't liked Oratory1990's EQ, or Amir's. In reference to the former, I think it's better to use fewer and more gradual filters, than trying to fix sharp spikes. It's evident that Audeze feels this way; their FR curves are highly smoothed.

Grover Neville at Audeze who had worked at Inner Fidelity after Tyll had left, has videos on YouTube. In one of them, he had said with DSP parametric EQ, it's better to drop, not raise, or else the word size keeps getting bigger. He's very knowledgeable..
👍

I agree, an EQ according to the motto "a lot helps a lot", looks good on paper, shows what is possible, but bends the character of the headphones and doesn't have to sound good.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2022 at 7:09 AM Post #1,602 of 2,740
I am rather curious if anyone here has compared an LCD-X 2021 with the latest LCD-3. I think this would make for an excellent comparison.
Oh oh, that's me! *Raises hand*.

I recently been doing so much research to put together my first own high end kit.

I ended up thinking lcd-x 2021 would be the one given how much I loved bass as #1 priority, my main listening is EDM but I listen to a bit of everything. I gave it an audition at home with a well powered amp.

I find overall it was just too forward for me. It felt too fatiguing and in your face. The macrodynamics where nice, great bass viscerality, but I found the soundstage too cluttered and claustrophobic. Real 'between the ears' soundstage. It felt more like reference gear for analytical studio work then a musical headphone for enjoyment (although I'm sure many people will get a lot of enjoyment from them, just not for me).

I ended up settling on the lcd-3. It is just much more euphonic to me. Wider soundstage that wasn't so cluttered. Better detail resolution, more air. A very creamy midrange that was very pleasant. Overall a more laid back sound signature. I feel lcd-3 is much more suited to late night listening than lcd-x. I feel lcd-3 better for listening while your focus is also on other things like browsing the web. I feel lcd-x demanded your attention while lcd-3 allows you to focus deep if you want but doesn't necessarily demand it at all times at reasonable listening levels.

For me, lcd-3 is a euphonic, slightly laid back, meaty warm comforting sound. Hyper realistic well bodied vocals combined with a hard full bass and non fatiguing treble. Lcd-3 for me sparks joy/emotion more than lcd-x.

So in terms of bass. Lcd-x does have a bit more of that viscerality I was searching for. But LCD-3 is no slouch here either. I feel lcd-3 has slightly (slightly) less impact, but just as much quantity. I feel the LCD-X is more sharp/well defined on its bass edges while lcd-3 is just oh so slightly blunted here. I feel the sacrifices I made with the bass are well worth it for the rest of the lcd-3 benefits when I take into account the whole. What good is incredible apex bass if I'm not enjoying the rest of the sound?

My ideal headphone (from what I've heard) would be lcd-x bass with lcd-3 everything else. But we can't have everything can we lol.

Currently waiting for my gear to arrive:
2022 LCD-3, Schiit Bifrost 2 and Burson Soloist 3x. I think it should be a great combination based on the extensive research I've done, but we will have to wait and see won't we! 😃

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2022 at 9:06 AM Post #1,605 of 2,740
In my opinion, Audeze still makes one hell of a great headphone. I'm still using my LCD-XC Classic (Woodies) from years ago, and they are exquisite performers. Last night I decided to drive them using a pair of Nelson Pass ACA "First Watt" Mono-blocks. These Class A Mono-blocks are being fed by the RME ADI 2 DAC. I have the right XLR cable from the RME ADI 2 DAC going to one amp, and the left XLR out going to the other. The XC is connected directly to the speaker taps of each amp, or another way to think of it is, each ear cup (left & right) has a dedicated amplifier. They sound perfect.

Attachments

• AE852B96-C5D8-4CAD-9FA9-0C30B62D8F39.jpeg
    AE852B96-C5D8-4CAD-9FA9-0C30B62D8F39.jpeg
    351.6 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back