LCD-X and XC Update
Feb 15, 2022 at 8:02 AM Post #1,636 of 2,740
I own both. Very different headphones. Both are excellent headphones, but they will not scratch the same itch. The XC has a good deal more speed and clarity, giving it a advantage in resolution and detail. The Atticus is much more analog sounding. The bass on the Atticus has bigger impact, more presence, and longer decay, but less extension into sub-bass. Overall, the tone is lusher and fuller, but more blurred together, especially in the mid range. The Atticus is a bit peakier in the treble, the XC has better presence past 10k. Both have pretty average soundstage. The XC has more precise and layered imaging, but the Atticus still does well with left/right positioning.
@mRaaghava

I have both headphones, too; however, my LCD-XC is the 2019 version, right before the (wood) cups were changed to its current incarnation.

My impressions of both headphones are similar to @phthora's. The LCD-XC has better balance and linearity in its sound. It eschews excessive bloom and warmth for a cleaner profile, with very good extension into the sub-bass region. There is adequate slam in the mid-bass, but its impact isn't quite as palpable as that on the Atticus. The LCD-XC is also a tad better resolving, but this can be easily ascribed to its leaner tone.

On the other hand, the Atticus is certainly warmer and fuller in its signature, offering a verdant, emotive experience. The lower register is a star performer on the Atticus, with tangible slam and presence. IMO, the Atticus is slightly more engaging, thanks to that grand mid-bass shelf.

Ultimately, if you're looking for a balanced sound with decent technicalities, go for the LCD-XC. If you want something that's more colored, with well-textured bass, try the Atticus.

Feb 16, 2022 at 11:48 AM Post #1,637 of 2,740
I’m hoping I can get some advice. I have several dynamics (DT770, Emu Teak, Fidelio X2HR) and want to give planars a shot. I listen primarily to bass heavy music (hip hop, movie scores, and EDM). However, I also like classical and pop/rock.

I’m looking at a planar under $1,500 that I can drive with my iDSD Black Label (1.5W @ 64ohm). I’m using this dac/amp as a semi-portable option for my office and work from home. I keep my office door closed at work, so open back is fine.

I’m debating between LCD-X, LCD-2C, and LCD-2. It seems like LCD-X is the most versatile, particularly because I’ll be using a PC/tablet for EQ, or sometimes by Qudelix 5k (iDSD accept analog input).

I want planars because I want sub bass rumble, but I also want some impact. I have Teaks for pure impact. Essentially, I want the open soundstage, but the ability to make my brain rumble, for lack of a better term.

I’d likely wear them 4-8 hours a day, so comfort is paramount.

Feb 20, 2022 at 11:18 AM Post #1,639 of 2,740
Has anyone had their “vintage” drivers updated to the latest LCD-X drivers?

Do they update the mesh behind the grill?

How do you find the sound compares before and after?
Hello Mike, :D

I have pictures in my post #933 in page 63

I got both the grilles with different materials
The fur felt that came with my 2018 LCD-X
:)
and the new 2020 updated Foam Disc with Mesh cover grilles

When I sent my 2018 unit back to Audeze for the drivers update to 2021 version,
they will only update the drivers and not change the grilles.

But they do give the options to change as well with small additional charges,
and they will return the old grilles to you as well.
so its optional and i took the offer.

Sound wise, I personally prefered the 2018 old fur felt materials grilles,
To my ears only,
My impression :)
I heard a better midrange extension to treble region frequencies with it, vocals feels more extended.
where the new 2020 grilles felt earlier rolled off, i'm guessing is the effect of the Foam Disc damping taming the higher frequency earlier.

The old grilles materials also sound very slightly more Open sounding than the new grilles to me
Not sure is it because the new grilles are more densely filled up, with extra Mesh layer blocking the opening of the grille windows and causes more closed up sound
the new grilles also sound harsher and fatigue to me, very slight but noticeable if you're very familiar with your previous unit sound. Just guessing whether is it the whistling effect by the Mesh tiny holes...
feels like some boosted tiring treble frequencies at treble region
makes vocals less sweet or less smooth to me.

Aesthetic the new grilles looks better :)
But I chose sound over aesthetic
So I am using my 2021 Drivers with 2018 Fur Felt Grilles

Below are my measured FR Graph reference both to 85dB at 1kHz
Hope to be able to roughly show you the differences/effects between the two grilles materials with 2021 X drivers,
Hope it helps :D

I think these two different material on these grilles, mostly affects the Frequencies around the region of 1kHz to 6kHz,
tiny but noticeable, the 5kHz which reflects the Mids to Treble Extension I mentioned.

Attachments

• LCD-X 2021 Fur Felt vs FoamDisc Mesh.jpg
    LCD-X 2021 Fur Felt vs FoamDisc Mesh.jpg
    715.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 20, 2022 at 2:06 PM Post #1,641 of 2,740
I’m hoping I can get some advice. I have several dynamics (DT770, Emu Teak, Fidelio X2HR) and want to give planars a shot. I listen primarily to bass heavy music (hip hop, movie scores, and EDM). However, I also like classical and pop/rock.

I’m looking at a planar under $1,500 that I can drive with my iDSD Black Label (1.5W @ 64ohm). I’m using this dac/amp as a semi-portable option for my office and work from home. I keep my office door closed at work, so open back is fine.

I’m debating between LCD-X, LCD-2C, and LCD-2. It seems like LCD-X is the most versatile, particularly because I’ll be using a PC/tablet for EQ, or sometimes by Qudelix 5k (iDSD accept analog input).

I want planars because I want sub bass rumble, but I also want some impact. I have Teaks for pure impact. Essentially, I want the open soundstage, but the ability to make my brain rumble, for lack of a better term.

I’d likely wear them 4-8 hours a day, so comfort is paramount.
both can rumble with the bass switch, not bass canon but a nice hit and great lows, the LCD-2 is going to have a bigger soundstage especially as far as vocals, unless you want very intimate vocals go for the 2F or probably 2C is good as well, I think there was a 2 Classic for like $500 or less on the classifieds here...

Also the iFi Black Label is a great is a great pre-amp if you go for tubes, I run these to the WA7 which as a tube generally rolls sub bass and upper mids but the iFi brings it all back with a tiny boost while being able to enjoy tube smoothness! If you get the X you might want to consider getting more serious gear, I own the 2022 LCD-3 and it's a very close approximation of good sound from the black label but it scales insanely well with with my Oppo HA-a and even more with my HDV 820! It just keeps going!

Feb 21, 2022 at 5:50 PM Post #1,644 of 2,740
Lcd x is great. Only rhing is the snap or the super fast driver sound on fist impact. Very lively cans. Love em!
@oidua Hey man, I just realized your chat handle is "audio" spelled backwards! Groovy!

I wish I could give every man, woman, and child an LCD-X. World peace and the end of hunger and disease would abound! :laughing:

Feb 25, 2022 at 1:14 AM Post #1,645 of 2,740
Anyone have a few recommended amps for the LCD-X ‘21? Looking for good synergy — detailed but smooth.
I’ve been running my newly acquired LCD-X 2021 from a JDS-Labs Element II and an iFi Zen DAC. The X is excellent with both units. The bass boost on the Zen is really nice for when you need a little extra rumble.

Feb 25, 2022 at 1:22 AM Post #1,646 of 2,740
I just sent mine back because they were too hot to wear, but they ran well off a Qudelix 5K and iDSD Black Label. Amps shouldn’t affect details or “smoothness”. The Qudelix has a good EQ setup.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2022 at 5:37 PM Post #1,648 of 2,740
I've had my LCD-X '21 for a couple of months now and really enjoying them in the bass range. How can I get overall more soundstage and instrument separation throughout the frequencies?

Feb 27, 2022 at 5:43 PM Post #1,649 of 2,740
I've had my LCD-X '21 for a couple of months now and really enjoying them in the bass range. How can I get overall more soundstage and instrument separation throughout the frequencies?
How does your Arya compare to your LCD-X (and elex)?

Feb 27, 2022 at 5:53 PM Post #1,650 of 2,740
I've found that some EQs increase the sense of soundstage so you might want to go down that rabbit hole and experiment with your own EQs or those of others.

If you want to get drastic you can take out the faux felt pad in the ear cups. It just takes a screwdriver and a bit of courage. I found that the soundstage increased but at the expense of image separation, but it definitely "aired out" the sound.

If you experiment with EQ do check out mine on page 108!

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back