LCD-X and XC Update
Oct 19, 2021 at 11:16 AM Post #1,156 of 2,744
I had some help from a friend last night regarding EQ. He just walked me through some steps since I just don't care to EQ headphones. Prefer the standard tuning when using headphones but I understand why someone would want to. Went with the Oratory1990 EQ(I think to Harman Curve) and my goodness. Not sure if I care to continue going down this rabbit hole in the hobby after this experience with the X. Gonna have to start selling the rest of my collection. I think I might keep my Hemps cause... they sound so different. Had such a hard time taking off the cans last night. Really tired today from the lack of sleep. Figured I would share my revelation that I am sure many of you have already experienced. So glad I got this now. Got them off of craigslist for $600(for the premium package since it has the mini adapter and the nice case) and the seller said he only used them twice. Assuming because he is more of a speaker audiophile. I am truly thankful and enjoying this experience.

Oct 21, 2021 at 5:43 AM Post #1,157 of 2,744
Well, after a few weeks with this headphone, I have to say that this really will be the final headphone buy for me. I just don't see any need to look further. Once this puppy is equalized, the sound quality is just tonally correct. The way that this headphone renders instruments is very similar to a quality loudspeaker. Imaging, detail retrieval, musicality, instrument definition, bass dynamics and tightness, vocal presentation, soundstaging, and treble resolution are just excellent. Distortion is incredibly low, and literally inaudible. I just can't find any faults with this headphone. If I had to pick something, it would be that it does require EQ to sound correct. The drivers are very high quality though, so the user can pick any settings they wish to achieve the desired sound they want. The weight is no issue for me. I may be in the minority, but I can wear this headphone for hours without any problem. The comfort is just excellent. The pads are large and very comfortable, and my ears fit inside without touching the fazors. The build quality is stellar. I will say that I think many EQs out there are just flat out not correct sounding. I played with this headphone over multiple evenings for the last few weeks. The EQ I made just brings out the best in this headphone. Just keep in mind that the LCD-X 2021 (which is what mine also is) still has slight driver variance. If you try this EQ, you may need to adjust it a tad for your particular unit. I am just going to end up selling my DT 1990 now, as it is just not at the same level sonically. I am very impressed with this headphone, and I highly recommend it.

Pre-Amp = -5

20Hz = +1.5 Q 4.32
25Hz = +1.5 Q 4.32
30Hz = +1 Q 4.32
70Hz = +0.5 Q 4.32
80Hz = +0.5 Q 4.32
400Hz = +0.5 Q 4.32
500Hz = +0.5 Q 4.32
700Hz = -1 Q 4.32
1kHz = +0.5 Q 4.32
1.9kHz = +1 Q 4.32
3kHz = +0.5 Q 4.32
3.5kHz = +2.5 Q 4.32
4kHz = +1.5 Q 4.32
8.2kHz = +1 Q 4.32
11kHz = -0.5 Q 4.32
12kHz = -2.5 Q 4.32

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2021 at 9:19 AM Post #1,158 of 2,744
Well, after a few weeks with this headphone, I have to say that this really will be the final headphone buy for me. I just don't see any need to look further.
I am happy for you. Just know that the urge “to look further” can strike any Head-Fier at any time without warning and without regard to finances…😄🤔😒🤩💸😄

Oct 21, 2021 at 9:48 AM Post #1,159 of 2,744
I am happy for you. Just know that the urge “to look further” can strike any Head-Fier at any time without warning and without regard to finances…😄🤔😒🤩💸😄
Thought I would be happy with my LCD-X forever… now saving for an LCD-5 mainly because it doesn’t require any EQ

Oct 21, 2021 at 9:51 AM Post #1,160 of 2,744
Thought I would be happy with my LCD-X forever… now saving for an LCD-5 mainly because it doesn’t require any EQ
Diamonds, not headphones, are forever…

Oct 21, 2021 at 10:45 AM Post #1,161 of 2,744
Well, after a few weeks with this headphone, I have to say that this really will be the final headphone buy for me. I just don't see any need to look further. Once this puppy is equalized, the sound quality is just tonally correct. The way that this headphone renders instruments is very similar to a quality loudspeaker. Imaging, detail retrieval, musicality, instrument definition, bass dynamics and tightness, vocal presentation, soundstaging, and treble resolution are just excellent. Distortion is incredibly low, and literally inaudible. I just can't find any faults with this headphone. If I had to pick something, it would be that it does require EQ to sound correct. The drivers are very high quality though, so the user can pick any settings they wish to achieve the desired sound they want. The weight is no issue for me. I may be in the minority, but I can wear this headphone for hours without any problem. The comfort is just excellent. The pads are large and very comfortable, and my ears fit inside without touching the fazors. The build quality is stellar. I will say that I think many EQs out there are just flat out not correct sounding. I played with this headphone over multiple evenings for the last few weeks. The EQ I made just brings out the best in this headphone. Just keep in mind that the LCD-X 2021 (which is what mine also is) still has slight driver variance. If you try this EQ, you may need to adjust it a tad for your particular unit. I am just going to end up selling my DT 1990 now, as it is just not at the same level sonically. I am very impressed with this headphone, and I highly recommend it.

Pre-Amp = -5

21Hz = +2 Q 4.32
30Hz = +1 Q 4.32
70Hz = +0.5 Q 4.32
80Hz = +0.5 Q 4.32
100Hz = +0.5 Q 4.32
350Hz = +0.5 Q 4.32
400Hz = +1 Q 4.32
500Hz = +1 Q 4.32
750Hz = -1 Q 4.32
1kHz = +0.5 Q 4.32
1.85kHz = +1 Q 4.32
3.5kHz = +3 Q 4.32
4kHz = +2 Q 4.32
4.5kHz = +0.5 Q 4.32
5kHz = +0.5 Q 4.32
8.2kHz = +1 Q 4.32
12.2kHz = -2.5 Q 4.32
What software you used to listen to the headphones?
Where this eq is from?

Oct 21, 2021 at 3:58 PM Post #1,163 of 2,744
In general, having owned both the older XC's and the updated Carbon Fiber, I do absolutely prefer the adjustments in the new tuning. All of our ears are different, and our brains all burn things in over time, but (even weight change aside...though distribution has always been pretty incredible) there is just virtually no fatigue with the new update. Still, I avoid "end game" talk just because there are guilty pleasure listening sessions that just require something else.

Oct 21, 2021 at 6:37 PM Post #1,164 of 2,744
I just got my 2021 XC's in this week and I am impressed so far. Need more time to evaluate how I feel about them in more detail. They sure are stunning though!

XC.jpg

Oct 21, 2021 at 10:57 PM Post #1,168 of 2,744
Actually, I’d love your evaluation of their cable. I’ve been considering.
Its great for the price, it doesn't hold it's shape at all, and I have no issues with microphonics. The only minor complaint I have with it is that it feels pretty thin, interestingly enough its thinner on the Focal cable than on the Audeze one. Not sure why this is considering both have the same termination on the amp end...

Oct 24, 2021 at 12:50 PM Post #1,170 of 2,744
Mine arriving next week ill check

Users who are viewing this thread

Back