LCD-X and XC Update
Apr 21, 2021 at 12:05 PM Post #466 of 2,721
There are graphs on this forum... I’m wondering about the other LCDs... 2,3,4 all underwent pad revisions.
I have repeatedly asked Audeze to release internal measurements of the other models. So far, nothing yet. I did have the pads replaced with the 2021 version on my 2018 LCD-2F that came with memory foam and leather from the factory. It helps, but I'm still EQing the thing. At least it sounds like there's no massive 6k peak and the upper mids are less recessed, but the air above 10k is quite excessive still. Seems like Grover prefers the pleather version but I doubt I will switch the pads a second time.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2021 at 12:11 PM Post #467 of 2,721
New LCD-X 2021 has been measured, and compares quite favorably to the old one (there is no reason to pick up old gen at all, unless you want a more bodacious and hard sound).

I can provide graphs if you want, but it's from another forum.
I’ll take other graphs to compliment the ones we already have here. Never hurts to see if they match up.

Apr 21, 2021 at 12:12 PM Post #468 of 2,721
I have repeatedly asked Audeze to release internal measurements of the other models. So far, nothing yet. I did have the pads replaced with the 2021 version on my 2018 LCD-2F that came with memory foam and leather from the factory. It helps, but I'm still EQing the thing. At least it sounds like there's no massive 6k peak and the upper mids are less recessed, but the air above 10k is quite excessive still. Seems like Grover prefers the pleather version but I doubt I will switch the pads a second time.
You should.

Apr 21, 2021 at 1:59 PM Post #469 of 2,721
My 2f with the new pads just sound a little darker than neutral with some added upper treble sparkle. Have been trying to solve this with just 2 high shelf filters: one to bring up the upper mids a bit and one to drop it back down (and a little lower) for the treble. It may need a bit more than that. I saw your EQ profile for the new pads as well (on twitter)... I'm going to give it a try tonight.

*Update* Metal's EQ works quite well for my set! I use less bass shelf and have been playing around with filters 5 and 6. I've also added a high shelf of 1.5 db from 1.5k and a high shelf of -1.5 from 10k

I wish they would release/update measurements as well - it would make this less of a guessing game. Honestly though, guilty pleasure I guess, I'm still liking them even without EQ. The comfort and build is definitely contributing to this. It really is essentially a "weighted blanket of rich musical experience" to just unwind and really get into a listening session. @AudezeGrover it would be really cool to see those updated measurements for the entire line or to at least have them available through support.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2021 at 3:05 PM Post #470 of 2,721
It's funny because speaker people spend a lot of effort treating their rooms and sometimes correcting with DSP. They do this mostly "in the dark". We have tons of people making measurements and research that has gone into target curves for headphones and all we need to do is "plug in the numbers" and fine tune by ear. We have it quite good... The questions that have been raised about HifiMan build quality are basically a meme at this point they also sound a little dry and edgy... not really my thing even for acoustic music.

The problem I had with Audeze before is that they were essentially "broken" in terms of FR. I don't think this is the case anymore. There is reason to believe that the other headphones in the Audeze LCD line measure even better than this LCD-X because they already had smoother FR graphs. We'll hopefully see if this is true in the future (plz measure them someone).
So where do I plug in the numbers?

I don't own an EQ...and no one seems to make them these days. I actually have looked...maybe I don’t know where to look...but they aren’t common in stacks I’ve shopped for.

They don’t seem to be built into much headphone gear. I don’t run my music off of a computer...so a software EQ is out.

I think it’s important to understand that people have different depths of knowledge when it comes to tech and different interest in getting deep into this.

I think we’re lucky that enough people care about sound quality to seek out sites like this one and are willing to spend a ton of money on gear and want to discuss it in a forum.

Asking them to figure out how to use an EQ to alter FR feels like something that is reserved for the most dedicated level of audiophile/HiFi heads. It’s a barrier to entry...it’s asking additional work of the user. It’s just bad for business if you ask me.

Again...I didn’t come here to derail the convo on the X...so back to our regularly scheduled program!

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2021 at 3:35 PM Post #471 of 2,721
So where do I plug in the numbers?

I don't own an EQ...and no one seems to make them these days. I actually have looked...maybe I don’t know where to look...but they aren’t common in stacks I’ve shopped for.

They don’t seem to be built into much headphone gear. I don’t run my music off of a computer...so a software EQ is out.

I think it’s important to understand that people have different depths of knowledge when it comes to tech and different interest in getting deep into this.

I think we’re lucky that enough people care about sound quality to seek out sites like this one and are willing to spend a ton of money on gear and want to discuss it in a forum.

Asking them to figure out how to use an EQ to alter FR feels like something that is reserved for the most dedicated level of audiophile/HiFi heads. It’s a barrier to entry...it’s asking additional work of the user. It’s just bad for business if you ask me.

Again...I didn’t come here to derail the convo on the X...so back to our regularly scheduled program!
I’m mainly talking about people who have digital setups. But... analogue EQs still exist although, one cannot “plug in the numbers” in the same way.

I don’t mean to speak for Audeze and I could be wrong but as far as I know the LCD Series seems to be designed for the “serious audiophile” crowd. They seem to be designed for people who are willing to “tinker” a bit to “dial in their preference” while providing excellent technical performance. They were designed when Audeze was still growing their following at the trade shows and are the “foundation” of their success in my opinion.

However, it seems Audeze is moving toward providing a consumer friendly FR from these new revisioons. I even find my new LCD-2 pleasant and mostly neutral out of the box.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2021 at 4:07 PM Post #472 of 2,721
I’m mainly talking about people who have digital setups. But... analogue EQs still exist although, one cannot “plug in the numbers” in the same way.

I don’t mean to speak for Audeze and I could be wrong but as far as I know the LCD Series seems to be designed for the “serious audiophile” crowd. They seem to be designed for people who are willing to “tinker” a bit to “dial in their preference” while providing excellent technical performance. They were designed when Audeze was still growing their following at the trade shows and are the “foundation” of their success in my opinion.

However, it seems Audeze is moving toward providing a consumer friendly FR from the beginning. I even find my new LCD-2 pleasant and mostly neutral out of the box.
Maybe I’m old school...when I started shopping to upgrade my head-fi...I expected to find a slew of hardware EQs like the ones I grew up with in my Dad’s set up many decades ago. Shame it’s not common anymore.

anyway...now I need new reviews on the entire LCD line to figure out which to buy...I do wish they would just publish charts...but with their old tuning that might not have been the best business move.

Apr 21, 2021 at 5:00 PM Post #473 of 2,721
Maybe I’m old school...when I started shopping to upgrade my head-fi...I expected to find a slew of hardware EQs like the ones I grew up with in my Dad’s set up many decades ago. Shame it’s not common anymore.

anyway...now I need new reviews on the entire LCD line to figure out which to buy...I do wish they would just publish charts...but with their old tuning that might not have been the best business move.
I think Schiit has some stuff (Hardware EQs) and possibly will be releasing more.

I also think they should publish charts... at least here if not on their blog.

Apr 21, 2021 at 6:46 PM Post #474 of 2,721
Got both my LCD-XCs back... I obviously can't A/B against the originals so I have to work from memory here. But I think soundstage and imaging are a bit improved. Bass was already very good but seems tighter and deeper. They retain the more neutral/brighter tuning of the X line. My Stellias are still the slam kings but these remain the best closed headphones under $2k -- SIGNIFICANTLY under $2k at that. Only the weight remains a factor, and I think that matters more than with opens, since one is more likely to be mobile or in motion with closeds... either travelling or in a work environment where you're frequently taking them on and off to talk with people. So that's a tradeoff everyone needs to evaluate for themselves.

Apr 22, 2021 at 7:37 AM Post #475 of 2,721
This solves my "wrong" impression of the 2021 lineup of XC (black line) X (grey line). I got these graphs from the great Audeze support and it helped me a lot to understand the differences and do some reasonable EQ. 2-4 dB Bass shelf at approx. 1kHz makes both cans sound much more similiar with the common differences (openess, sound stage, etc.) I'm impressed how significant/positive the change is and how much more I like the XC now.

Attachments

• Both.png
    Both.png
    52.1 KB · Views: 0
Apr 22, 2021 at 9:44 PM Post #476 of 2,721
Does anyone know if the Roon DSP preset for the LCD-X has been updated for the latest new drivers and ear pads? Roon, can you chime in too? Thanks.

Apr 22, 2021 at 11:51 PM Post #478 of 2,721
Does anyone know if the Roon DSP preset for the LCD-X has been updated for the latest new drivers and ear pads? Roon, can you chime in too? Thanks.
I think I heard somewhere that they are working on it... I know.. helpful right? I’ll edit this if I find it.

*update: I cannot find text but I think it may have been in one of Grover's live streams shortly after the pad update was announced.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2021 at 2:12 AM Post #479 of 2,721
I think I heard somewhere that they are working on it... I know.. helpful right? I’ll edit this if I find it.
I posted my question in the Roon Community Forum as well. I'll update when I hear as well. Thanks,

Apr 23, 2021 at 2:21 AM Post #480 of 2,721
I posted my question in the Roon Community Forum as well. I'll update when I hear as well. Thanks,
You’re doing The Lord’s work Brother. Let us 🙏🏻 for a divine intervention.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back