LCD-X and XC Update
Apr 23, 2021 at 12:39 PM Post #481 of 2,723
I think I heard somewhere that they are working on it... I know.. helpful right? I’ll edit this if I find it.
I heard from Audeze. The Audeze LCD-X Roon DSP preset for the new drivers has not been updated yet, but they are working on it just as you noted. Thanks.

Apr 23, 2021 at 5:58 PM Post #483 of 2,723
I heard from Audeze. The Audeze LCD-X Roon DSP preset for the new drivers has not been updated yet, but they are working on it just as you noted. Thanks.
So if they update the preset to work with the new drivers/pads. How will that effect the old set? I use the preset in roon and don't want to messed up.
Hope they leave this one there along with the new one.

Apr 23, 2021 at 6:00 PM Post #484 of 2,723
There are graphs on this forum... I’m wondering about the other LCDs... 2,3,4 all underwent pad revisions.
I believe the latest measurements one of the headphones guys did of the lcd2 is with the new pads. They match what I experienced with my lcd2 sample. Everything to my ears sounded good except for a recess in the upper mids which made female vocals sound congested, without eq it's a deal breaker.

I feel Chrono's review to be very accurate: https://www.headphones.com/blogs/news/lcd-2-review
and Resolves graphs are with the new pads I'm pretty sure. https://www.headphones.com/blogs/news/audeze-lcd-2-review

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2021 at 7:34 PM Post #485 of 2,723
So if they update the preset to work with the new drivers/pads. How will that effect the old set? I use the preset in roon and don't want to messed up.
Hope they leave this one there along with the new one.
Good point. Not sure. Roon could answer that in their community forum, I’m thinking.

Apr 23, 2021 at 8:59 PM Post #486 of 2,723
I believe the latest measurements one of the headphones guys did of the lcd2 is with the new pads. They match what I experienced with my lcd2 sample. Everything to my ears sounded good except for a recess in the upper mids which made female vocals sound congested, without eq it's a deal breaker.

I feel Chrono's review to be very accurate: https://www.headphones.com/blogs/news/lcd-2-review
and Resolves graphs are with the new pads I'm pretty sure. https://www.headphones.com/blogs/news/audeze-lcd-2-review
Are you sure? Resolve’s review went out in early November... the first sets of LCD-XC to be made with them were made November 9 with most being made around November 23rd. Resolve called the set in the video the “early 2020 version”.

@Resolve was the set you measured for your headphones.com review the one with the new pads?

Apr 23, 2021 at 10:28 PM Post #487 of 2,723
Are you sure? Resolve’s review went out in early November... the first sets of LCD-XC to be made with them were made November 9 with most being made around November 23rd. Resolve called the set in the video the “early 2020 version”.

@Resolve was the set you measured for your headphones.com review the one with the new pads?
The revised LCD-X's came out later, but I'm guessing the new pads were already out on the other models. The pictures look like they have the new pads.

Edit: unless those pics are marketing material and not the ones he reviewed? Would make sense why Chrono's eq adjustments work better than Resolves.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2021 at 1:03 AM Post #489 of 2,723
What is the non-leather better at than the leather?
Warmth. Better balance between midrange and treble. Less audible treble anomalies. Organic from top to bottom. But it could be perceived as less exciting or even boring in comparison to 2020 LCDX. Midrange recession is far less offensive. Bass is probably the least attractive quality of pleather pads. So these pads might not be for everyone. Difference between 2020 pleather and leather is substantial.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2021 at 4:57 AM Post #490 of 2,723
Warmth. Better balance between midrange and treble. Less audible treble anomalies. Organic from top to bottom. But it could be perceived as less exciting or even boring in comparison to 2020 LCDX. Midrange recession is far less offensive. Bass is probably the least attractive quality of pleather pads. So these pads might not be for everyone. Difference between 2020 pleather and leather is substantial.
So in terms of bass, is it an overall reduction? I fell the lcdx's bass with the leathers to be a touch to muddy. I wouldn't mind bass reduction if that meant better clarity down low.

Apr 24, 2021 at 7:05 AM Post #491 of 2,723
lcdx.jpg

Is it wrong that I like the focusrite better than the Schiit Magni? Less warm and not as clean as the the schiit but the scarlett feels open and wider. Schiit sounds flat. I need better sources. What's a budget amp that has a brighter signature that the schiit?

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2021 at 7:59 AM Post #492 of 2,723
So in terms of bass, is it an overall reduction? I fell the lcdx's bass with the leathers to be a touch to muddy. I wouldn't mind bass reduction if that meant better clarity down low.
I would say so. But I am not 100% sure how to define it? It doesn’t have slam and punch of leather. It’s just not as impactful as OG pads. There seems to be more “body” and fluidity between lower and upper bass (pleather). Which presentation is better will depend on personal preferences I guess? I like this (pleather) warmer, smoother bass response but I also wish there was a bit more slam at lower register (that of OG pads). Hope that makes sense...

Edit: I didn’t want to post long winded findings and speculations regarding new pads in this thread but if you want, you can read my “in depth” opinion/comparison on this page HERE, here and in few posts later as well.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2021 at 11:05 AM Post #493 of 2,723

Is it wrong that I like the focusrite better than the Schiit Magni? Less warm and not as clean as the the schiit but the scarlett feels open and wider. Schiit sounds flat. I need better sources. What's a budget amp that has a brighter signature that the schiit?
The JDS El Amp II may be a viable option. I’ve had it since May and it sounds great with my Auteur, Nighthawk and is also dead silent with my Solaris SE which is very impressive and adds to the versatility of the amp. Do note that I’m 57 and younger ears may hear hiss that I can’t at my age. Nevertheless, I would check out DMS’s review of the El Stack DAC/Amp on YouTube as I recall he mentions the amp being brighter in the treble but not in a harsh way so it may address what you’re looking for. Hope this is helpful. :)

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2021 at 11:32 AM Post #494 of 2,723
The JDS El Amp II may be a viable option. I’ve had it since May and it sounds great with my Auteur, Nighthawk and is also dead silent with my Solaris SE which is very impressive and adds to the versatility of the amp. Do note that I’m 57 and younger ears may hear hiss that I can’t at my age. Nevertheless, I would check out DMS’s review of the El Stack DAC/Amp on YouTube as I recall he mentions the amp being brighter in the treble but not in a harsh way so it may address what you’re looking for. Hope this is helpful. :)
I can confirm that EL AMP II actually is dead silent with sensitive IEMs. I love mine and I think it just sounds right. Not the most powerful or feature rich, but plenty for LCD-X

Users who are viewing this thread

Back