LCD-X and XC Update
Apr 20, 2021 at 1:59 PM Post #451 of 2,693
Apr 20, 2021 at 3:20 PM Post #454 of 2,693
Hi, I've also both 2021 X and XC here. Can you understand what I wrote above? That the XC has significantly more damping than the X? I feel it is overdamped, as if the diaphragm is stretched too much and can't vibrate as well/free.
Hi there! I’ve seen your text and am curious to test as well.

XC has not arrived yet... Ordered 2 weeks ago but have to wait some more.

I’ll let you know my thoughts:)

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Apr 20, 2021 at 3:25 PM Post #455 of 2,693
Apr 20, 2021 at 3:33 PM Post #457 of 2,693
"Dead" reference is regarding A90. Dead = dry, lifeless.
Hmmm...so what would be the opposite of that?
And thank you for answering my question.

My goal for my first dac/amp combo was to have something that didn’t color the music so I could hear the headphones. Took me a long time to decide on that dac/amp combo...so now I’ve spent $1300 and I’m I’m concerned about my choice.

Apr 20, 2021 at 4:59 PM Post #458 of 2,693
Hmmm...so what would be the opposite of that?
And thank you for answering my question.

My goal for my first dac/amp combo was to have something that didn’t color the music so I could hear the headphones. Took me a long time to decide on that dac/amp combo...so now I’ve spent $1300 and I’m I’m concerned about my choice.
Opposite would be lively, dynamic, engaging with a hint of color. Those are usually qualities that you will hear when ppl describe tube amps or well made class A designs. Not exclusively thought, but in most cases, that wouldn't be uncommon description. Topping (I own one as well) has distinct sound to it. Some would call it dry, analytical, artificially sterile. Mostly in comparison to class A or tube amps. But even in comparison to other SS amps, there's a bit of boredom associated with that sound signature. I'm pretty sure that Andrew from HeadphoneShow use that description in comparison to Rebel amp. If you like that sound, great. Nothing wrong with that. Nothing at all.

Apr 20, 2021 at 5:36 PM Post #459 of 2,693
@AudezeGrover , I was looking into purchasing the LCD-GX as it is much lighter than the rest of the LCD series. Has this series received these new earpads or any other mods? If yes, what was the impact on the sound signature?

All LCD line headphones have received the new earpads. For what it's worth I personally really like the new leather-free earpads.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Apr 20, 2021 at 8:33 PM Post #460 of 2,693
All LCD line headphones have received the new earpads. For what it's worth I personally really like the new leather-free earpads.
Can you post a pic of the leather free ear pads?

would be interested to know how these change the sound vs the leather.

Wonder if maybe you guys can send Resolve the vegan pads?

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2021 at 1:25 AM Post #461 of 2,693
Definition of Insanity ?

A.) Having to mod or EQ a $2000 - $6000 set of headphones to get them to "sound Good"..

B.) The $4 Cables that come with the Hifiman HE1000se or the Susvara.

C.) The $2 Box that is provided with the $6000 Susvara.
It's funny because speaker people spend a lot of effort treating their rooms and sometimes correcting with DSP. They do this mostly "in the dark". We have tons of people making measurements and research that has gone into target curves for headphones and all we need to do is "plug in the numbers" and fine tune by ear. We have it quite good... The questions that have been raised about HifiMan build quality are basically a meme at this point they also sound a little dry and edgy... not really my thing even for acoustic music.

The problem I had with Audeze before is that they were essentially "broken" in terms of FR. I don't think this is the case anymore. There is reason to believe that the other headphones in the Audeze LCD line measure even better than this LCD-X because they already had smoother FR graphs. We'll hopefully see if this is true in the future (plz measure them someone).

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2021 at 11:02 AM Post #462 of 2,693
wonder if anyone getting the latest X also has Ether 2 also, that would be a worthy comparison...!

Apr 21, 2021 at 11:28 AM Post #463 of 2,693
It's funny because speaker people spend a lot of effort treating their rooms and sometimes correcting with DSP. They do this mostly "in the dark". We have tons of people making measurements and research that has gone into target curves for headphones and all we need to do is "plug in the numbers" and fine tune by ear. We have it quite good... The questions that have been raised about HifiMan build quality are basically a meme at this point they also sound a little dry and edgy... not really my thing even for acoustic music.

The problem I had with Audeze before is that they were essentially "broken" in terms of FR. I don't think this is the case anymore. There is reason to believe that the other headphones in the Audeze LCD line measure even better than this LCD-X because they already had smoother FR graphs. We'll hopefully see if this is true in the future (plz measure them someone).
New LCD-X 2021 has been measured, and compares quite favorably to the old one (there is no reason to pick up old gen at all, unless you want a more bodacious and hard sound).

I can provide graphs if you want, but it's from another forum.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Apr 21, 2021 at 11:38 AM Post #464 of 2,693
New LCD-X 2021 has been measured, and compares quite favorably to the old one (there is no reason to pick up old gen at all, unless you want a more bodacious and hard sound).

I can provide graphs if you want, but it's from another forum.
There are graphs on this forum... I’m wondering about the other LCDs... 2,3,4 all underwent pad revisions.

Apr 21, 2021 at 12:05 PM Post #465 of 2,693

Hi Grover, could you please share pics of the LCD4 with the new pads if possible?

Also does this mean that the frequency response of the LCD4 has now changed significantly? It would be really nice if Audeze could send @Resolve a brand new unit to do an updated review.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back