LCD-X and XC Update
Jun 28, 2022 at 5:46 PM Post #1,996 of 2,723
I think it's the manner in which you're expressing your opinions that is raising a few eyebrows.

I'm curious as to your particular usage of EQ being somone who is not initially inclined to use it. You say you employ a modest bass shelf and it sounds good. I'm curious as to what a modest shelf is considered to be and where yours is placed. Would you mind posting your setting?

Blessings,
-J
After 2 hours i turned off the shelf and it sounded better. Just my opinion. But just to show im not trying to be a jerk...I will say that after switching to black dragon xlr and purchasing an Element H usb card with the IpowerX power supply, eq does suddenly work A LOT better for me, I am not turning it off but leaving it on (the eq). So...now suddenly eq sounds so much better with the lowered noise floor....:scream_cat: See, Im just trying to be honest and get the best sound...its not an ego thing. So to be clear, as of yesterday with the new gear, I AM using EQ productively for the first time in my life. Next purchase is the Denefrips BIC500 power conditioner with 3 Shunyata power cables, one for the bic500, one for the dac and one power cord for the amp. If I was rude I do apologize. I am at work and cant post pictures of eq but I will do so tonight.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2022 at 6:03 PM Post #1,997 of 2,723
After 2 hours i turned off the shelf and it sounded better. Just my opinion. But just to show im not trying to be a jerk...I will say that after switching to black dragon xlr and purchasing an Element H usb card with the IpowerX power supply, eq does suddenly work A LOT better for me, I am not turning it off but leaving it on (the eq). So...now suddenly eq sounds so much better with the lowered noise floor....:scream_cat: See, Im just trying to be honest and get the best sound...its not an ego thing. So to be clear, as of yesterday with the new gear, I AM using EQ productively for the first time in my life. Next purchase is the Denefrips BIC500 power conditioner with 3 Shunyata power cables, one for the bic500, one for the dac and one power cord for the amp. If I was rude I do apologize. I am at work and cant post pictures of eq but I will do so tonight.
@szore I just took a quick look at the Element H with the powerX. I find it interesting that an internal sound card is so quiet. Is the computer noise completely taken out of the equation or can you still kind of hear it? I've always opted for external sound interfaces to avoid computer noise so I guess technology has advanced enough to sufficiently quiet down internal cards? Is that so?

Oh and all is totally forgiven, as far as I'm concerned, if it even needs to be. Don't even worry about it! :v:

Jun 28, 2022 at 6:12 PM Post #1,998 of 2,723
@szore I just took a quick look at the Element H with the powerX. I find it interesting that an internal sound card is so quiet. Is the computer noise completely taken out of the equation or can you still kind of hear it? I've always opted for external sound interfaces to avoid computer noise so I guess technology has advanced enough to sufficiently quiet down internal cards? Is that so?

Oh and all is totally forgiven, as far as I'm concerned, if it even needs to be. Don't even worry about it! :v:
Good question. I was going to add each element and see what impact each had, but honestly I'm too tired to fiddle with it and really don't care, just want to hear good music. All I know is when I hooked everything up it sounded sublime....the sound is so much cleaner than before and when DSP is engaged, I get the 'sound modification' without the fatigue...it sounds like the fidelity of the track is preserved. Also that modest bass shelf was on my DAP. The DSP I am using for the desktop is on Roon and JRiver, and it is taken from Amir's Audio Science Review review of the X. I'll post the DSP tonight.

Jul 1, 2022 at 8:26 PM Post #1,999 of 2,723
What DAC and AMP are you currently running ? If you are listening to "techtubers" who claim that this headphone can be driven correctly on low end garbage, then look elsewhere for solutions. This headphone, regardless of its low impedance, scales incredibly well with better equipment. You are limiting its capabilities tremendously if you decide to pair it with trash gear.
What Amp are you using if I may ask?

edit* I'm not using a dedicated headphone amp, I plug my Focusrite Clarett into a Mackie mixing console to get my juice. I don't know how it compares with your average headphone amp though so I'm curious...hmm.
-J

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2022 at 7:51 PM Post #2,001 of 2,723
How much different is the XC?
Subjectively speaking I'd say they're like 1st cousins. They are both from the same elite family though.

XC has a "bolder" bass when EQd...less authentic to my ears than the X EQd the same.

XC has a more analytical sound and what I judge to be "truer" imaging though it has less soundstage width than the X. The X has more of a 3D effect going on. One reviewer said something like it sucks the center towards you. To me this is pleasant. YMMV.

XC tends to fall off my head more than the X...it's weird like that. You absolutely cannot take your vitamins and jerk your head back to swallow with the XCs on.

Both take to EQ excellently and both have that punch and slam unlike any other planar I've tried.

For tracking purposes I use the XC. For leisure and mixing/mastering I gravitate more towards the X.

Blessings,
-J

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2022 at 12:17 PM Post #2,002 of 2,723
Audeze LCD-X (2016) is going more strongly than ever! No EQ, great sound quality, and comfortable: with the ‘old’ headband, what weight 🤷🏻‍♂️?
E6E1033D-E9F1-4E06-8DFC-8BADAC2D09B4.jpeg

Jul 12, 2022 at 11:58 AM Post #2,005 of 2,723
Jul 19, 2022 at 6:43 PM Post #2,009 of 2,723
Jul 19, 2022 at 6:47 PM Post #2,010 of 2,723
How much different is the XC?

Impressions based off of 2021 LCD-X vs pre-21 LCD -XC on Chord Mojo 2

With EQ: LCD- XC is not as good with detail and micro-dynamics in my opinion (compared with X). It does well with macro dynamics and is capable of producing more bass rumble.

Without EQ the LCD-XC has a more enjoyable FR.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back