LCD-X and XC Update
Jun 22, 2022 at 12:03 PM Post #1,981 of 2,740
Any links? I want to buy a nice one that does not break the bank, sub-$200. Also, how does it take for the Audeze LCD-X to break in?
I am at 200 hours on mine...plan to go to 400 hours for burn in. This was recommended by the Stax booth at Canjam

Jun 22, 2022 at 12:06 PM Post #1,982 of 2,740
This headphone does not sound correct without EQ. If you are running it with stock tuning, you probably won't be completely happy with the sound characteristics.
Rubbish

Jun 22, 2022 at 11:45 PM Post #1,987 of 2,740
Jun 25, 2022 at 9:19 AM Post #1,988 of 2,740
I burn my headphones in, I have over 200 hours on mine and I notice the sound is smoother and the soundstage opens up a little bit.
I have been into audio for thirty years, had put over 500 hours on all of the headphones I've had, and had not experienced a "smoother sound" or "soundstage opening up a bit".

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2022 at 9:34 AM Post #1,989 of 2,740
I put you on ignore. Sick of your ****in bull.
I agree. And it's just in about every single post. He doesn't seem well versed in electrical engineering, or acoustics, and often presents his opinion, presented as fact. I do agree with most of his equipment choices, except for the last three; to the point where I had researched them thoroughly.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2022 at 12:19 PM Post #1,990 of 2,740
Just expressing my opinion guys.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2022 at 12:36 PM Post #1,992 of 2,740
I am considering between LCD-x and Utopia. If I buy Lcd-x, I can buy one more headphone. Is Utopia worth it?
I currently own the LCD-X 2021 and the Focal Clear Mg. I have heard the Utopia in Carrollton, Texas, and that one had the best imaging and the best resolution I've ever heard from any headphone, only equaled by something like a HiFiMan HE-1000 or a Susvara. A beryllium driver will do this for you. Each track was presented with a scalpel like precision. The Clears are a better value for me, as I won't have a strong use case for headphones once I get back into a single family house. I find that you get diminishing returns over $2000: you have to spend a lot more money to get a clearly superior product. The Utopia is a "technical" headphone: its precision is not always pleasant to listen to, for some, as the notes are so sharply defined: some feel that a more warmed over, rounded, tube amp like presentation, is closer to what music is supposed to sound like. The Audeze headphones I've heard, definitely sounded more rounded, in comparison to the Utopia. There's new products that have come out over the past year at the Utopia's price point.

Focal signature:
- lively
- balanced
- good dynamics
- small soundstage due to 40 mm driver
- a smack-you-in-the-forehead concentrated power punch of music due to metal drivers and that small soundstage that can be fatiguing at times
- better all arounder
- I like them best for female vocals and simple tracks

Audeze signature except for LCD-5 and CRBN:
- laid back, warmed over signature that some like for "cutting the glare"
- recessed upper midrange that can be corrected through EQ
- the dark signature still remains once you EQ to make it match the Harman curve
- average soundstage smaller than HD800S or Arya but larger than Focal due to 106 mm driver
- I feel that the Clear images better than the LCD-X, despite its soundstage (better placement within it)
- I feel that the dynamic driver offers better dynamics than the planar, in my case, noticing it the most with drums and loud rock guitar tracks
- I prefer these for complex wall-of-sound tracks, classic rock and EDM (making the most use of the planar bass)

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2022 at 9:59 PM Post #1,994 of 2,740
LCD-X 2021 EQ Revision (06-28-22)
For more punch and slam

For those of you interested the EQ profile I posted in February it has under gone several silent revisions. The latest can be found below in the 19 band iteration.

And so for deep, tight bass that sounds more resolving and moves quickly out of the way of the honestly crafted mids and meticulously shaped highs, that accentuates the LCD-X’s "punch and slam" effect with kick drums and snares.

Posted EQ Graph Update 062822.jpg

As you can see from the overlay-ed, inverted chart of Oratory1990's Harman Compensated FR (yes PEACE can do that!) I have stuck with a lot of his mids calculations, at times even more religiously than he did. My curve (green) deviates most from his (red) in the bass and the highs, adding a couple shots of bass slam and sparkling highs that makes vocalists more realistic and up close and personal. 80Hz is exaggerated in order target kick drums and make them cut through the mix. The dip after 40Hz is there to give sub, sub bass some slam to bass guitars.

Posted EQ Graph Update 062822B.jpg

Pre Amp: -14.35 (Be sure to enter this value to avoid clipping)

Pre Amp: -14.35 (Be sure to enter this value to avoid clipping)

Band 1: Freq 40 Gain 3.45 Q 0.69 Filter Low Shelf
Band 2: Freq 40 Gain 0.83 Q 4 Filter Low Shelf
Band 3: Freq 80 Gain 5.12 Q 1.67 Filter Peak
Band 4: Freq 90 Gain 9.9 Q 0.65 Filter Low Shelf
Band 5: Freq 120 Gain 2.2 Q 1.41 Filter Peak
Band 6: Freq 220 Gain -3.5 Q 2.2 Filter Peak
Band 7: Freq 325 Gain 3.75 Q 1.2 Filter Peak
Band 8: Freq 450 Gain -1 Q 2.7 Filter Peak
Band 9: Freq 810 Gain -2.2 Q 2.41 Filter Peak
Band 10: Freq 1235 Gain -1 Q 2.4 Filter High Shelf
Band 11: Freq 1500 Gain 8.4 Q 0.71 Filter High Shelf
Band 12: Freq 1910 Gain 1.25 Q 5 Filter Peak
Band 13: Freq 2800 Gain -3.5 Q 2 Filter Peak
Band 14: Freq 3400 Gain 3 Q 2.1 Filter Peak
Band 15: Freq 5780 Gain -4.4 Q 4.8 Filter Peak
Band 16: Freq 7350 Gain -2 Q 7 Filter Peak
Band 17: Freq 10000 Gain -1.05 Q 0.9 Filter Peak
Band 18: Freq 13000 Gain 1.85 Q 2 Filter High Shelf
Band 19: Freq 19000 Gain 0.8 Q 0.8 Filter Peak

To increase or decrease bass, adjust gain to Band 4 to taste.
To increase or decrease treble, adjust gain to Band 17 to taste.

Here’s two original tracks of mine to try this profile out with that I mastered with the LCD-X 2021 that really pushes these cans to do things previously not thought possible by me:

Jonne Haven - “Big Bad World”

Jonne Haven - “Humble Me” (Norah Jones Cover)

It's been said already, but I must add that I've been working on EQing the LCD-X 2021 everyday for over 7 months now and I find that it responds to EQ settings superbly and with the greatest of resolution. Even the smallest of changes are reported, with minute detail and without distortion, the best of any headphone I have EQ'd.

Blessings,
-J

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2022 at 5:33 PM Post #1,995 of 2,740
Just expressing my opinion guys.
I think it's the manner in which you're expressing your opinions that is raising a few eyebrows.

I'm curious as to your particular usage of EQ being somone who is not initially inclined to use it. You say you employ a modest bass shelf and it sounds good. I'm curious as to what a modest shelf is considered to be and where yours is placed. Would you mind posting your setting?

Blessings,
-J

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back