LCD-X and XC Update
May 12, 2022 at 12:49 AM Post #1,787 of 2,721
I’m sad they couldn’t make these LCD-X 2021 slam like the LCD-2f. They have bass don’t get me wrong but they just aren’t as tactile in the sub-bass. Idk if I need to drive them with a better source or just sell them and go back to the LCD-2f.

May 13, 2022 at 12:10 PM Post #1,788 of 2,721
I’m sure I’ve read either in this thread or in the classified that the pads are the main reason for the tonality change. One user said he couldn’t hear a difference between them when both had the new open cell foam pads on.
So this begs the question (and forgive me if it’s already been asked and answered): Would a 2021 rev. LCD-X with the old-style memory foam pads or, say, a pair of Dekoni sheepskins, sound like the old LCD-X?

May 15, 2022 at 11:12 AM Post #1,789 of 2,721
So this begs the question (and forgive me if it’s already been asked and answered): Would a 2021 rev. LCD-X with the old-style memory foam pads or, say, a pair of Dekoni sheepskins, sound like the old LCD-X?
Bump. I know it’s bad form respond to your own post, but this is a serious question. After a few more days with the 2021 Audeze, while I don’t completely agree with @Giru, I do kinda see (hear) his point - the new ones are probably ‘better’ in every measurable, technical sense, but they don’t quite raise goosebumps the way the old ones did. The new ones sound great and I’m not unhappy, but you could put the old ones on the head of a totally skeptical neophyte and they’d immediately and completely understand how a pair of headphones could be worth $1,500. I’m not sure the 2021 revisions, good as they are, would have that same effect. So I would like to know if anyone has put the old style pads, or maybe a pair of Dekoni sheepskins, on the 2021 version and got some of the old swagger and mojo back, or if it’s more than just the pad change as some have suggested.

Thanks.

Last edited:
May 15, 2022 at 3:54 PM Post #1,790 of 2,721
Bump. I know it’s bad form respond to your own post, but this is a serious question. After a few more days with the 2021 Audeze, while I don’t completely agree with @Giru, I do kinda see (hear) his point - the new ones are probably ‘better’ in every measurable, technical sense, but they don’t quite raise goosebumps the way the old ones did. The new ones sound great and I’m not unhappy, but you could put the old ones on the head of a totally skeptical neophyte and they’d immediately and completely understand how a pair of headphones could be worth $1,500. I’m not sure the 2021 revisions, good as they are, would have that same effect. So I would like to know if anyone has put the old style pads, or maybe a pair of Dekoni sheepskins, on the 2021 version and got some of the old swagger and mojo back, or if it’s more than just the pad change as some have suggested.

Thanks.
I'd really like to know this too.
Infact I'm thinking of asking my friends to loan me both units so that I can compare them myself. Unfortunately the guy with the older X is out of town till July😔

May 15, 2022 at 5:17 PM Post #1,791 of 2,721
I'd really like to know this too.
Infact I'm thinking of asking my friends to loan me both units so that I can compare them myself. Unfortunately the guy with the older X is out of town till July😔

Thanks.
"Bump"

May 15, 2022 at 6:12 PM Post #1,792 of 2,721

Thanks.
I'm listening to my X 21 version and I adore it and get goosebumps. Keep it real.

May 16, 2022 at 2:42 AM Post #1,793 of 2,721
The new ones sound great and I’m not unhappy, but you could put the old ones on the head of a totally skeptical neophyte and they’d immediately and completely understand how a pair of headphones could be worth $1,500
I started out a couple months ago, complete noob, and my first hi-fi headphone was this new LCD-X '21. I immediately felt like this was special and got goosebumps. Also still infatuated with listening to everything I've ever loved on the new headphones.

In my second month I got a GS-X Mini Amp and the synergy is outstanding with the LCD-X '21. I was running them on a Burson Soloist 3XP which lends a little more warmth and rich bass-- still a good combo but the two don't compliment each other as well. I tried Audeze plugins and EQ settings, parametric eq settings, and I didn't like them much, BUT now I'm running the oratory phase .wav EQ files in roon's convolutional EQ, and it's the best EQ implmentation I've ever heard. Altogether, I get the "magic" from LCDX21 + GS-X Mini + Oratory Phase .wav Convolutional EQ

Last edited:
May 16, 2022 at 8:02 AM Post #1,794 of 2,721
I started out a couple months ago, complete noob, and my first hi-fi headphone was this new LCD-X '21. I immediately felt like this was special and got goosebumps. Also still infatuated with listening to everything I've ever loved on the new headphones.

In my second month I got a GS-X Mini Amp and the synergy is outstanding with the LCD-X '21. I was running them on a Burson Soloist 3XP which lends a little more warmth and rich bass-- still a good combo but the two don't compliment each other as well. I tried Audeze plugins and EQ settings, parametric eq settings, and I didn't like them much, BUT now I'm running the oratory phase .wav EQ files in roon's convolutional EQ, and it's the best EQ implmentation I've ever heard. Altogether, I get the "magic" from LCDX21 + GS-X Mini + Oratory Phase .wav Convolutional EQ
I can also vouch for the GSX mini+ X '21 synergy.

May 16, 2022 at 9:31 AM Post #1,795 of 2,721

Can you give me a link for the oratory phase file?

May 16, 2022 at 9:47 AM Post #1,796 of 2,721
I'm listening to my X 21 version and I adore it and get goosebumps. Keep it real.
I am, and I love mine too. See the middle of my post #1789 “..the new ones are great and I’m not unhappy…” But, having had both, I am acknowledging that the change may not be 100% positive and I am asking a very specific question - will the old pads make the new ones sound more like the old ones (it’s a minor tuning question, not a personal judgment, so ‘get real’) - which no one has directly answered. So, as usual, lots of opinions but no one has actually done the work (now THAT sounds like a personal judgment 🥸). I will try to get my hands on an old set of pads or maybe Dekonis with memory foam and figure it out for myself if I can do it without destroying the new pads. And, I’ll share since it seems I’m not the only one who’s interested to know.

Relax and enjoy!

Neil

May 16, 2022 at 10:01 AM Post #1,798 of 2,721
I am, and I love mine too. See the middle of my post #1789 “..the new ones are great and I’m not unhappy…” But, having had both, I am acknowledging that the change may not be 100% positive and I am asking a very specific question - will the old pads make the new ones sound more like the old ones (it’s a minor tuning question, not a personal judgment, so ‘get real’) - which no one has directly answered. So, as usual, lots of opinions but no one has actually done the work (now THAT sounds like a personal judgment 🥸). I will try to get my hands on an old set of pads or maybe Dekonis with memory foam and figure it out for myself if I can do it without destroying the new pads. And, I’ll share since it seems I’m not the only one who’s interested to know.

Relax and enjoy!

Neil
Sorry, I was drunk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back