LCD-X and XC Update
May 21, 2022 at 5:32 PM Post #1,816 of 2,740
I am looking for some recommendations on Bluetooth dongle which goes well with 2021 LCD XC I tried with BTR 5 but sound bit bright also volume pot was limited since I was using 3.5mm and not 2.5mm balanced out on BTR 5.
I am looking at ifi go blu or shanking or quedelex.

Please share which one gives the most juice and bass.

Thanks
What's your budget?

May 22, 2022 at 4:50 AM Post #1,820 of 2,740
I am looking for some recommendations on Bluetooth dongle which goes well with 2021 LCD XC I tried with BTR 5 but sound was bit bright also volume pot was limited since I was using 3.5mm and not 2.5mm balanced out on BTR 5 I have only 4.4mm cables.

I am looking at ifi go blu or shanling or quedelex or even Ifi Gryphon.

Please share your experience and advice which one gives the most juice and bass.

Thanks
It may be worth waiting for the Fiio BTR7 if you’re otherwise pleased with Fiio? It will offer 4.4mm as well so no need to buy new cables.

May 23, 2022 at 7:10 AM Post #1,821 of 2,740
The LCD-X 2021 offers very high quality drivers. Regardless of the low impedance, this headphone scales incredibly well when being paired with better quality amps and DACs. The usual "techtubers" on youtube should be completely ignored with their endless claims that this headphone can be properly driven with a cell phone or other weak source devices. This is simply not reality. These people are full of crap. Keep in mind that they are given most of their gear for free. Don't expect to see a genuine recommendation at the end of the video. They are simply just there to sell a product that they have been given for free or paid to promote. This headphone should be paired with decent quality components to get the best out of it. When the LCD-X is paired with a proper amplifier and a good DAC, the improvements in dynamics, resolution, imaging and articulation are detected right away. Instrument definition, treble resolution, bass tightness, decay, and soundstage are also immediately noticed.

May 23, 2022 at 8:50 AM Post #1,822 of 2,740
The LCD-X 2021 offers very high quality drivers. Regardless of the low impedance, this headphone scales incredibly well when being paired with better quality amps and DACs. The usual "techtubers" on youtube should be completely ignored with their endless claims that this headphone can be properly driven with a cell phone or other weak source devices. This is simply not reality. These people are full of crap. Keep in mind that they are given most of their gear for free. Don't expect to see a genuine recommendation at the end of the video. They are simply just there to sell a product that they have been given for free or paid to promote. This headphone should be paired with decent quality components to get the best out of it. When the LCD-X is paired with a proper amplifier and a good DAC, the improvements in dynamics, resolution, imaging and articulation are detected right away. Instrument definition, treble resolution, bass tightness, decay, and soundstage are also immediately noticed.
I agree with everything you say concerning these headphones scaling with better equipment. Indeed, my perspective is that any headphone worth it’s plastic (aluminum) will scale with better source and amp, same as home speakers. While the low impedance may allow an iPhone to produce a certain level of loudness - a high end transducer should also allow you to hear the QUALITY of the upstream components. Amp and sources count for as much if not more than the headphones themselves, unless you’re dealing with an extremely colored set of cans (think beats), which pretty much sound the same all the time. This is basic knowledge for putting together a musically satisfying two channel system, but seems to be too often lost in headphone world.

In addition, and I know I’m treading on thin ice around here daring to suggest that aftermarket cables can affect the sound, but here goes: Although the oem cable is fine, it can be improved upon, especially in the areas of apparent bass response, soundstage and overall transparency. I’m NOT suggesting those things are missing with the oem cable, and will magically appear with aftermarket cable, I am simply stating my opinion that they can be improved upon with the right aftermarket cable. If you don’t believe me, don’t do it. I’m not proselytizing, and I do NOT suggest spending a fortune on headphone cables, I am merely offering what I hope will be a useful observation to some. And I haven’t tried them all, so it’s up to you to decide what is snake oil and what works. Something like mogami or canare, terminated well would do the trick. No need to buy $500 magic beans.

Ymmv.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
May 23, 2022 at 8:54 AM Post #1,823 of 2,740
I agree with everything you say concerning these headphones scaling with better equipment. Indeed, my perspective is that any headphone worth it’s plastic (aluminum) will scale with better source and amp, same as home speakers. While the low impedance may allow an iPhone to produce a certain level of loudness - a high end transducer should also allow you to hear the QUALITY of the upstream components. Amp and sources count for as much if not more than the headphones themselves, unless you’re dealing with an extremely colored set of cans (think beats), which pretty much sound the same all the time. This is basic knowledge for putting together a musically satisfying two channel system, but seems to be too often lost in headphone world.

In addition, and I know I’m treading on thin ice around here daring to suggest that aftermarket cables can affect the sound, but her goes: Although the oem cable is fine, it can be improved upon, especially in the areas of apparent bass response, soundstage and overall transparency. I’m NOT suggesting those things are missing with the oem cable, and will magically appear with aftermarket cable, I am simply stating my opinion that they can be improved upon with the right aftermarket cable. If you don’t believe me, don’t do it. I’m not proselytizing, and I do NOT suggest spending a fortune on headphone cables, I am merely offering what I hope will be a useful observation to some. And I haven’t tried them all, so it’s up to you to decide what is snake oil and what works. Something like mogami or canare, terminated well would do the trick. No need to buy $500 magic beans.

Ymmv.

Enjoy!
I got the Forzaworks 8 wire balanced copper cable Noir HPC mk2 for the X and it really sounds great. The stock cable is great quality, but I am only interested in balanced connection.

Last edited:
May 23, 2022 at 2:29 PM Post #1,824 of 2,740
My aftermarket cable makes LCD-X sound better because of the balanced termination.
Look, ergonomics, different termination plug, or length, are the only reasonable factors to go aftermarket route.

May 23, 2022 at 4:07 PM Post #1,825 of 2,740
What are your source components, I have used LCD XC with Hugo 2 and Burson Soloist 3XP with good results

May 24, 2022 at 10:36 AM Post #1,827 of 2,740
Can anyone who has (or had) the 2020 Sundara revision make a comparison with the 2021 LCD-X?

I really love the Sundara, I don't like to eq very much since I use it often to listen to live music blu rays on a dedicated player connected to my dac (K9 Pro AKM), and I actually find it pretty satisfying on the punch quality and bass presence region.

I love the balanced FR of the Sundara, sometimes it's maybe a bit bright, but I look into details and layering so I guess it's a price to pay.
I know the LCD-X is a darker hp, but how much is it in comparison? How better is the bass (especially for stuff like kick drums)? What about instrument separation?

I'm aware I should probably look toward an Arya v3, but that would completely replace the Sundara (and I'm not sure it would be much better on the bass/punch region) plus I think having a different and darker hp could be more interesting.

I listen mostly to modern rock/prog metal (Toto, Opeth, Riverside, Plini, Steven Wilson, Haken, Porcupine Tree, etc) so maybe a darker signature might be appropriate? I think I'm a bit treble sensitive (couldn't stand the Focal elegia).

Do you think they would complement each other well? Will it be too dark without EQ for someone who enjoy the Sundara FR?

May 24, 2022 at 12:32 PM Post #1,828 of 2,740
Can anyone who has (or had) the 2020 Sundara revision make a comparison with the 2021 LCD-X?

I really love the Sundara, I don't like to eq very much since I use it often to listen to live music blu rays on a dedicated player connected to my dac (K9 Pro AKM), and I actually find it pretty satisfying on the punch quality and bass presence region.

I love the balanced FR of the Sundara, sometimes it's maybe a bit bright, but I look into details and layering so I guess it's a price to pay.
I know the LCD-X is a darker hp, but how much is it in comparison? How better is the bass (especially for stuff like kick drums)? What about instrument separation?

I'm aware I should probably look toward an Arya v3, but that would completely replace the Sundara (and I'm not sure it would be much better on the bass/punch region) plus I think having a different and darker hp could be more interesting.

I listen mostly to modern rock/prog metal (Toto, Opeth, Riverside, Plini, Steven Wilson, Haken, Porcupine Tree, etc) so maybe a darker signature might be appropriate? I think I'm a bit treble sensitive (couldn't stand the Focal elegia).

Do you think they would complement each other well? Will it be too dark without EQ for someone who enjoy the Sundara FR?
LCD-X 2021 are really good just out of the box. They don't need EQ. Also I don't like dark headphones, VC were way too dark for me and I had to sell them just for that, but I never felt that LCD-X were dark. They are just perfect in everything. If you have a speaker AMP also consider HE6se V2, they are twice cheaper and have crazy good low end.

Last edited:
May 24, 2022 at 12:52 PM Post #1,829 of 2,740
LCD-X 2021 are really good just out of the box. They don't need EQ. Also I don't like dark headphones, VC were way too dark for me and I had to seel them just for that, but I never felt that LCD-X are dark. They are just perfect in everything. If you have a speaker AMP also consider HE6se V2, they are twice cheaper and have crazy good low end.
I fully agree with comments regarding HE6SE v2 they are amazing value, I prefer them over Arya if driven well.

May 24, 2022 at 2:49 PM Post #1,830 of 2,740
LCD-X 2021 are really good just out of the box. They don't need EQ. Also I don't like dark headphones, VC were way too dark for me and I had to seel them just for that, but I never felt that LCD-X are dark. They are just perfect in everything. If you have a speaker AMP also consider HE6se V2, they are twice cheaper and have crazy good low end.
Yes I Agree. I like my X with no EQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back