LCD-X and XC Update
Apr 24, 2022 at 1:51 PM Post #1,756 of 2,740
So I have the chance to pick up a used 2020 (not 2021, older sr. nr.) version for about, uh, 1/3rd of the price of the new one. I'm sure the new ones are a fair bit better and I'd probably like the weight reduction but I'm not sure if it's, you know, three times better. Would I be alright opting for the older model or is it really worth waiting for a deal on the newer one? I'm mainly after good bass response and deep, guttural sub-bass.

Another question: are there any established Amp/DAC pairings I should consider for either version?
I know the new XC is significantly brighter than the OG plus ROON has great EQ presets for it. The Jotunheim 2 and Bifrost 2 are awesome.

Apr 25, 2022 at 10:16 AM Post #1,759 of 2,740
Hello boys and girls,

I have a question to the LCD-X 2021 (leather pads) users.

Did You notice increase in spundstage dimension after some time of use? Did the midrange, specific vocals, tame a little bit after a while? Or nothing changed?

I would be grateful for Your help coz I am really want to buy them but this is really my only concern.

Thank You! 🙂

Apr 25, 2022 at 3:59 PM Post #1,760 of 2,740
Hello boys and girls,

Did You notice increase in spundstage dimension after some time of use? Did the midrange, specific vocals, tame a little bit after a while? Or nothing changed?

I would be grateful for Your help coz I am really want to buy them but this is really my only concern.

Thank You! 🙂
Hmm. I've had the LCD-X 2021 leather pads version for almost six months now. Listening to them everyday I've not noticed much if any change in soundstage or the taming of the mid-range (though I don't think it needs taming). Keep in mind that I've been listening to them everyday so I may not have noticed changes over time as well as if I listened to them in more spread out increments. But I've read that the X's are burnt in prior to shipping out.

Blessings,
-J

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2022 at 5:25 PM Post #1,761 of 2,740
Hmm. I've had the LCD-X 2021 leather pads version for almost six months now. Listening to them everyday I've not noticed much if any change in soundstage or the taming of the mid-range (though I don't think it needs taming). Keep in mind that I've listening to them everyday so I may not have noticed changes over time as well as if I listened to in more spread out increments. But I've read that the X's are burnt in prior to shipping out.

Blessings,
-J

Thank You. It is a good thing. Maybe I just used to a deeper soundstage with less forward midrange. Don't get me wrong, I think LCD-X are great Cans and midrange is cristal clear. Maybe I just need to spend more time with them.

Apr 25, 2022 at 5:49 PM Post #1,762 of 2,740
Hello boys and girls,

Thank You! 🙂
My LCD-X 2021 sound identical to the day I got them.

Apr 26, 2022 at 4:07 AM Post #1,763 of 2,740
So I have the chance to pick up a used 2020 LCD-X (not 2021, older sr. nr.) version for about, uh, 1/3rd of the price of the new one. I'm sure the new ones are a fair bit better and I'd probably like the weight reduction but I'm not sure if it's, you know, three times better. Would I be alright opting for the older model or is it really worth waiting for a deal on the newer one? I'm mainly after good bass response and deep, guttural sub-bass.

Another question: are there any established Amp/DAC pairings I should consider for either version?
A third of the original price you say??
If the condition is good, etc.; get it eyes closed.
The older unit has deeper bass anyway.

Apr 27, 2022 at 10:15 PM Post #1,765 of 2,740
I think people have been sleeping on the 2021 XC's. They're sweet for the price as Movie/Music headphones, but would recommend others for all day use, because they may give you back/neck pain if you're sensitive to that sort of thing as I was. I didn't really enjoy them until I tuned them with EQ, which they took well to, then they were really enjoyable and sounded much more natural to me.

May 8, 2022 at 6:09 PM Post #1,766 of 2,740
I’ve owned both, and the older ones do have more obvious bass, but that’s it, and it’s exaggerated by the fact that they are comparatively lacking in other areas. They are inferior to the 2021 revision in virtually EVERY category, and the newer version is hardly bass shy. It is simply better balanced overall, so the bass doesn’t stand out as much. Among other things, the new version is more transparent, more present, actually has detailed and delightful treble that was completely missing from the old version, and on an on. Don’t misunderstand me - I LOVED the older LCD-X, it is a FANTASTIC set of cans, but they are voiced like an old Koetsu cartridge - slow, dark and sexy. Musically engaging? Sure. Accurate to the source? Not even a little. The new ones are better the old in virtually every way - they’re still on the dark and sexy side of neutral, but less so. They do not sound slow or closed in and they fill in a lot of midrange and treble that was noticeably absent before. I personally think the 2021 revision was a grand slam home run.

And for you guys who complain that Audeze give you neck and back pain, maybe it’s because I’m a 6’1” 250 lb galoot but, come on, really? I could wear these for a week. They are cushiony and enveloping and extremely comfortable. They feel great on my head (even with eyeglasses) and imho outclass everything but maybe the Sennheiser hd700 for pure wearing pleasure. (The hd700 had other problems, obviously, but for comfort they may be the all time best.) Slipping into a pair of Audeze headphones is a delicious, sensual experience. You guys make it sound like they hurt. They don’t. Especially the new revision, which is also a bit lighter.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
May 8, 2022 at 6:27 PM Post #1,767 of 2,740
While I think the 2021s are very good in all the ways stated, and I never heard the pre-2021, many have pined for the loss of some ‘special sauce’ in the new version and at this price you can’t go wrong, especially if you are willing to EQ (and there is very solid guidance here or at the headphones.com community site or you could write to @Resolve there and im sure he’d help). If in the end you decide not to keep them you will almost certainly be able to sell them on classified section of the Forum, possibly even making a small profit. I’d say ‘go for it’.

May 8, 2022 at 6:36 PM Post #1,768 of 2,740
And for you guys who complain that Audeze give you neck and back pain, maybe it’s because I’m a 6’1” 250 lb galoot but, come on, really? I could wear these for a week. They are cushiony and enveloping and extremely comfortable. They feel great on my head (even with eyeglasses) and imho outclass everything but maybe the Sennheiser hd700 for pure wearing pleasure. (The hd700 had other problems, obviously, but for comfort they may be the all time best.) Slipping into a pair of Audeze headphones is a delicious, sensual experience. You guys make it sound like they hurt. They don’t. Especially the new revision, which is also a bit lighter.

Enjoy!
That made me chuckle. Im 5'6 and 150lbs or so. They've never bothered me either and unless its a medical condition I think theres a lot of exaggeration when it comes to discomfort. Ive actually been wearing the Diana Phi for 2hrs straight as I type this which is another controversial fit. I don't get it.

The XCs are on the clamp-y side but someone else mentioned wearing motorcycle helmets and how many bikers do that for hours. Ive never worn a bike helmet, Ill admit.
Comfort is subjective but I agree with you. :darthsmile:

May 8, 2022 at 7:55 PM Post #1,769 of 2,740
That made me chuckle. Im 5'6 and 150lbs or so. They've never bothered me either and unless its a medical condition I think theres a lot of exaggeration when it comes to discomfort. Ive actually been wearing the Diana Phi for 2hrs straight as I type this which is another controversial fit. I don't get it.

The XCs are on the clamp-y side but someone else mentioned wearing motorcycle helmets and how many bikers do that for hours. Ive never worn a bike helmet, Ill admit.
Comfort is subjective but I agree with you. :darthsmile:
I think my X is comfy to wear.

May 9, 2022 at 2:50 PM Post #1,770 of 2,740
I’ve owned both, and the older ones do have more obvious bass, but that’s it, and it’s exaggerated by the fact that they are comparatively lacking in other areas. They are inferior to the 2021 revision in virtually EVERY category, and the newer version is hardly bass shy. It is simply better balanced overall, so the bass doesn’t stand out as much. Among other things, the new version is more transparent, more present, actually has detailed and delightful treble that was completely missing from the old version, and on an on. Don’t misunderstand me - I LOVED the older LCD-X, it is a FANTASTIC set of cans, but they are voiced like an old Koetsu cartridge - slow, dark and sexy. Musically engaging? Sure. Accurate to the source? Not even a little. The new ones are better the old in virtually every way - they’re still on the dark and sexy side of neutral, but less so. They do not sound slow or closed in and they fill in a lot of midrange and treble that was noticeably absent before. I personally think the 2021 revision was a grand slam home run.

Enjoy!
Hmmmm. I had a different experience.

The newer version does sound more flat but that's about it. The older sounded more capable in almost every department. Especially detail and dynamics. It was more punchy, transients handled well, amazing lusture in the treble and great viscerality in the bass. (Absolutely disagree that the older lacks in the treble BTW. AAMOF, the original is a bit bright overall. Especially compared to its more expensive brothers from the audeze lineup). The new version lacks all of this. It is defintely not bad but not as "magical" as the older model.

Infact having owned the LCD-4, I think the LCD-X (Older) was a better tuning IMO. It's tight and dynamic as opposed to the lcd-4 which is a bit syrupy and charming (with marginally more detail ofcourse).

Anyway, as I've said before; this debate is moot as the older driver has been discontinued. The new LCD-X is a great all rounder headphone if you're in the market for a decent pair of cans.

PS: Completely agree on the comfort btw. Never found any audeze to be uncomfortable. I guess people just blow the weight thing out of proportion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back