La Figaro 339
May 3, 2018 at 1:04 AM Post #4,111 of 6,903
I occasionally chat with the owner/circuit designer at La Figaro and can provide some information regarding recent comments...

Any oddities you find in packaging are likely due to customs opening/inspecting the package and/or mishandling during shipment. La Figaro packs them a certain way and then they are sent to a 3rd party logistics company that is responsible for importing internationally. I'm pretty certain the massdrop orders are brokered by shenzhen audio so those might get handled differently.

I don't know that the website referring to variants of the amp as "bright" vs "warm" is accurate. I don't know anyone that has heard the so called "bright" version (6J4P, 6SJ7, 5693, 6Ж4С) and referred to it as bright. If you ask the circuit designer, he thinks the 6C5, 6J5, 6J5G, 6J5GT, L63 version is better and that's his preference. From what I gather, that version is more expensive to build (electrically and probably supplying tubes) so maybe it's easier to ship the 6J4P version internationally. The 6C5, 6J5, 6J5G, 6J5GT, L63 version is basically the 6SN7 version of the amp (a well regarded tube that people are familiar with in tube audio). A 6C5/6J5 is one half of a 6SN7. Since this is a dual mono design, it uses two 6C5/6J5 (so while that tube may seem obscure, it's really not).

This amp has been in production for a long time (even dating back to the DV337 which was designed by the same person who did the 339). The designer very much has a continuous improvement approach and not a one-off, flavor of the month approach. The differences between the versions are minor so I wouldn't fret too much about it. However, the most recent iteration is not shown on their website, but I'll attach a picture below. The difference being the vishay film capacitors (two green capacitors). You should be able to tell if your model has them without removing the bottom panel.

Hi,you know how is the procedure of shipping for the LF amps bought by non US people?
They first ship to US-massdrop or direct from China?
Thanks!

May 3, 2018 at 1:30 AM Post #4,112 of 6,903
I read the thread twice and took notes of best combos of tubes and impressions but right now seems a little chaos,need to clarify them.
For example my 1st set of notes:
''
RCA6AS7 G + EF80 SYLVANIA .
2399/5998/6080WA Thomson, Chatham/6AS7G Chatham/RCA
RCA 6AS7G/TS EF86 mesh
Mazda Thorn EF86 and Svetlana 6H13C
Bendix6080/TF EF86 mesh
Mullard EF86 and GEC 6as7g
Mullard EF86 and RCA 6as7g and felt no need to roll in my GEC 6as7g or even Bendix 6080wb. Using Yggy as input and HD800
339 GEC 6AS7 UK L63 is the best match
almost exclusively use the EF86 adapter with two Telefunken EF86's (mesh plates). I have a lot of 6SJ7's and EF80's, but they don't see a lot of use. For power tubes I typically use an RCA, Chatham or Sylvania 6AS7G.
BEST:GEC 6AS7G,Bendix 6080WB Graphite Plates
. For EF86 tubes try: valvo / mullard / amperex meshplates, telefunken, even the Russian
Svetlana Winged C EF86/6267 best bang for the buck
7236 power tubes and Sylvania 6SJ7WTG
Mullard EF80 are the one I use all the time, in combination with some Chatham 6AS7G-Lieven
RCA 6AS7G and the Tung-sol 6SJWGT-dark Liu''

The second set @until then impressions:
''
Favorite combinations thus far, in no particular order (because dependent on mood and music), include:

GE 6AS7GA -- RCA or JAN Philips 6SJ7WGT

RCA 6AS7G -- Telefunken EF86 or RCA 6SJ7WGT

Bendix 6080WB -- RCA 6SJ7WGT

Tung-Sol 7236 - RCA5693

Svetlana Winged "C" - Sveltana EF86

LF339 really sings with Mazda Thorn EF86 and Svetlana 6H13C
Mullard EF86 and GEC 6as7g.-Until then,the best''

Third,@Liu impressions of LF compared with EC ZDS with different tube combos:
''
has been back and forth between ZDS and 339 all night. Utopia, HD600, HD650. Yggy via Lynx 16e card as source. Both very good in different ways, but it is totally dependent on tubes, and I am purposely using a darker set in both. 339 remains more dreamy (and thus more immersive) with my transducers, yet powerful and spacious. ZDS slightly more transparent and resolving; slams hard yet more refined. Huge caveat due to tubes used, as I need Bendix, 7236, or GE 6AS7GA for a more neutral set. Tungsol 6SU7GTY RBP as driver in ZDS--if I really wanted to play hard, it would be Mullard ECC35 (but equally so different tubes in 339).

339 is very close to ZDS. And it wins on pure enjoyment level most of the time. I have come to truly appreciate the suggestions upon entering this thread for the RCA 6AS7G/TS EF86 mesh combo.''

Anyway i want to thank everybody who posted in this thread and helped one way or another.I'm sure i am gonna love this amp.
Sorry for the long post.

Last edited:
May 3, 2018 at 11:25 AM Post #4,115 of 6,903
When I turned my amp on yesterday afternoon to warm up, there was a white light, sort of flashing, coming from the right Power tube. I powered the right side off for a minute or so and turned it back on and everything worked fine. The same thing happened this morning. Is that what a tube arcing looks like? Should I be concerned about the amp; any issue to look out for with the limited details I provided? These are the stock Chinese Power tubes btw, so I guess it is time to try a different set.

May 3, 2018 at 1:21 PM Post #4,116 of 6,903
When I turned my amp on yesterday afternoon to warm up, there was a white light, sort of flashing, coming from the right Power tube. I powered the right side off for a minute or so and turned it back on and everything worked fine. The same thing happened this morning. Is that what a tube arcing looks like? Should I be concerned about the amp; any issue to look out for with the limited details I provided? These are the stock Chinese Power tubes btw, so I guess it is time to try a different set.

Yes, you should be concerned with that tube, and stay away from it.

I had this happened twice last year, once happened during my listening of music and it was a terrible experience because it hurt my ears. One tube completely failed after that, the other one seems still to be working, but I decided not to use it because I do not want to put my ears in danger anymore.

May 5, 2018 at 6:08 AM Post #4,118 of 6,903
My very first post here, be gentle :). Last week I got my long expected LF339, coming with the default Chinese tubes, the warm version. I have it connected to a Chord Hugo dac (source is Macbook or iPhone, Tidal HIFI) and my primary use of headphone is HD800 - but also using HD650 and Beyerdynamic DT1770 Pro. I have already spent a lot of time listening, of course, and pleasantly surprised by its musicality and it's warm and crispy sound via HD800. Of course it has more authority when comparing the sound straight out of the Hugo which is also a very good match with HD800. But there are many opinions here, I know, it's all a matter of taste. But now you know where I stand :). I listen mostly to acoustic, vocal music, well-recorded.

I have not used my HD650 much since I've got my HD800. I've tried them on LF339 as so many people enjoy that combination. I have to be honest that I prefer the sound of HD800 with all the micro details and the bigger soundstage etc. Missing sometimes the unique intimacy of the HD650 but I am almost sure I can tube-roll that and get that extra dimension to my HD800. Right now I just enjoy this new impressive sound landscape. Yes, I miss a bit more full-bodied sound signature, a bit more punch - without loosing the very fine middle tones. I know I need to change the tubes soon. I have looked at these as my power tubes, Mullard-6080-6AS-rebranded-Philips - anyone that know these tubes, and the sound? I am not either which drivers I should use. I have read this thread, and I am a bit surprised that there are not that many HD800 combinations out there.

May 5, 2018 at 12:34 PM Post #4,119 of 6,903
I have looked at these as my power tubes, Mullard-6080-6AS-rebranded-Philips - anyone that know these tubes, and the sound? I am not either which drivers I should use. I have read this thread, and I am a bit surprised that there are not that many HD800 combinations out there.

I do not have that kind of 6080 tube, but I do not think this Mullard-6080-6AS-rebranded-Philips are anything very special. Of course Mullard means something, but there are many 6080 tubes at much more affordable price and they might also sounds as good as a "Mullard".

May 5, 2018 at 1:57 PM Post #4,120 of 6,903
Somebody tested 2 or 4 6BL7 tubes on the La Figaro,maybe @Until Then?I'm curious since many think are superior to 6AS7 type of tubes

Last edited:
May 5, 2018 at 5:55 PM Post #4,121 of 6,903
I just confirmed that the current drop on massdrop is the unit with green capacitors
I occasionally chat with the owner/circuit designer at La Figaro and can provide some information regarding recent comments...

Any oddities you find in packaging are likely due to customs opening/inspecting the package and/or mishandling during shipment. La Figaro packs them a certain way and then they are sent to a 3rd party logistics company that is responsible for importing internationally. I'm pretty certain the massdrop orders are brokered by shenzhen audio so those might get handled differently.

I don't know that the website referring to variants of the amp as "bright" vs "warm" is accurate. I don't know anyone that has heard the so called "bright" version (6J4P, 6SJ7, 5693, 6Ж4С) and referred to it as bright. If you ask the circuit designer, he thinks the 6C5, 6J5, 6J5G, 6J5GT, L63 version is better and that's his preference. From what I gather, that version is more expensive to build (electrically and probably supplying tubes) so maybe it's easier to ship the 6J4P version internationally. The 6C5, 6J5, 6J5G, 6J5GT, L63 version is basically the 6SN7 version of the amp (a well regarded tube that people are familiar with in tube audio). A 6C5/6J5 is one half of a 6SN7. Since this is a dual mono design, it uses two 6C5/6J5 (so while that tube may seem obscure, it's really not).

This amp has been in production for a long time (even dating back to the DV337 which was designed by the same person who did the 339). The designer very much has a continuous improvement approach and not a one-off, flavor of the month approach. The differences between the versions are minor so I wouldn't fret too much about it. However, the most recent iteration is not shown on their website, but I'll attach a picture below. The difference being the vishay film capacitors (two green capacitors). You should be able to tell if your model has them without removing the bottom panel.

I just confirmed with a guy on massdrop sho just received his 339 that he has the green capacitors.

May 5, 2018 at 9:27 PM Post #4,123 of 6,903
I always liked the Chatham 6AS7G (copper rods) and the EF86 (mullard, telefunken, amperex). I get why people like the Bendix 6080WB with graphite plates, but I always found them overrated for my tastes. I'll get some better clarification from the designer on the 6J4P vs 6C5 version differences. If you dig in this thread deep enough, you might be able to find some impressions of people who modded their 6J4P version to use the 6C5/L63 (telecaster or wall-e, pretty sure one of those two did it). That was many years ago now though.

@Liu Junyuan Thanks! I'm afraid not all of my posts are that useful :)

May 6, 2018 at 2:55 PM Post #4,124 of 6,903
I do not have that kind of 6080 tube, but I do not think this Mullard-6080-6AS-rebranded-Philips are anything very special. Of course Mullard means something, but there are many 6080 tubes at much more affordable price and they might also sounds as good as a "Mullard".

Thanks for having a look @wwmf. I'll try them out and make a little review. Unfortunately, I do not have much to compare with yet but one must start somewhere and the only way to get into the game is to try things out. But that's the fun (and somtimes expensive) part of the game as well. :)

May 6, 2018 at 3:03 PM Post #4,125 of 6,903
I always liked the Chatham 6AS7G (copper rods) and the EF86 (mullard, telefunken, amperex). I get why people like the Bendix 6080WB with graphite plates, but I always found them overrated for my tastes. I'll get some better clarification from the designer on the 6J4P vs 6C5 version differences. If you dig in this thread deep enough, you might be able to find some impressions of people who modded their 6J4P version to use the 6C5/L63 (telecaster or wall-e, pretty sure one of those two did it). That was many years ago now though.

@Liu Junyuan Thanks! I'm afraid not all of my posts are that useful :)

Is it important that the Chatham 6AS7G is the copper rod version? Lieven suggested me to buy the Chatham or the black plate Rca. Not sure what the latter exactly refers to. I've ordered the Mullard 6080 one to test it out. Will also look into the thread as you mentioned about the modded 6J4) version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back