1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

La Figaro 339

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by cal8949, Jul 15, 2010.
First

Back
263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272
274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283
Next

Last
  1. Mizicke5273
    So which DACs synergize well with the 339 now a days? When I was originally looking into the 339 and did a bunch or reading and research, it was the HRT Music Streamer II and II+. I see the HRTs are no longer readily available new and wonder if there is something better. I'm thinking of upgrading from my Maverick Audio TubeMagic D2 DAC and so I'm starting to look around. Bifrost Multibit? Audio-GD? I am also considering getting a DAC that has Balanced Outputs, so I can try that out later down the road. Any recommendations to consider?

2. Liu Junyuan
    What's your budget?

3. Mizicke5273
    Well, I guess that depends. My TubeMagic D2 is just over 5 years old now; so would similarly priced DACs, with newer technology and hardware, be a noticeable upgrade? The D2 is the first and really only DAC I have used or have experience with. So I don't know what to expect with upgrading my DAC. With headphones and amps, I have an understanding of what to expect with an upgrade; different sound signature, more power, and etc. And I'm sure if I do decide to get something that has Balanced Outputs, the costs go up; but I also kind of future proof myself. So with all that said, would starting at $300 to $400 get me a noticeable upgrade that warrants buying a new DAC? If not, what price point should I be looking at for a noticeable upgrade? And what price point for Balanced Output?

I currently use USB In and Optical In. I'd like more than one Optical In, but I haven't seen many DACs with more than one. So would an Optical/Toslink Switcher work without issue?

4. MJS242
    They're both amps and have a similar price but outside of that they're different. You're asking the wrong question.

5. Mizicke5273
    Another question, since my 339 should be arriving next week, how does everyone deal with the power switches being on the rear of the unit? Where I'll be placing the 339, it may be a bit difficult turning on and off. If I follow the correct shutdown procedure, Turn volume to 0 -> Unplug Headphones, can I just power off the the power strip while leaving the 339's power switches in the On position? And then the reverse for powering it on. Would there be any risk to the amp?

6. wwmhf
    I do not know why you need to unplug headphones, but turning off the power strip while leaving the 339's power switched in the on position seems to be OK and this is what I am doing for my other devices.

7. Ultrainferno
    I personally wouldn't suggest it, but what are fuses for, right?

8. Mizicke5273
    I'm reading through the thread from the start and there were a few people that ruined their headphones when a tube arced and died. Which seems to be something that can happen when a tube goes, which is why it was recommended to not have headphones plugged in when powering it on. I believe unplugging the headphones before turning off is just a good way to not forget to unplug them before turning it on. I don't know if this is just for OTL tube amps or if hybrid and other kind of tube amps can also be susceptible..

9. Monsterzero
  10. bobbyblack
    I just joined the drop.At this time 5 units sold and allready 220 V variant is sold out.I think i was lucky.Somebody from Europe know how much is waiting time?

11. Mizicke5273
    Glad you got in on it. Mine should be arriving today......this afternoon is gona go slow me thinks; or at least it will probably feel like it.

12. bobbyblack
    Thanks,so i suppose the waiting time for yours was 2 months?(USA?).Anyway enjoy!

13. Mizicke5273
    It was originally supposed to have shipped April 10th, but was delayed until this past Friday, the 27th. I got the notice late Friday afternoon that it was shipping.

bobbyblack likes this.
  14. Mizicke5273
    Well, I got the 339 setup. Took longer than I thought it would; had to rearrange the desk a bit. It is bigger and heavier than I realized, so I had to re-think how I was putting it on my desk. I need to finish rearranging the desk tomorrow; just could not put off a listen any longer tonight. I am using the stock tubes to start, as I want to get a benchmark for the amp. So far, it is a very nice upgrade from my temp Vali 2.

bobbyblack and maximus69 like this.
  15. Liu Junyuan
    Haha, I remember getting the 339. It is actually quite heavy. If the stock tubes are the same as those that came with mine, the driver tubes need to be replaced ASAP. The power tubes are acceptable.

Last edited: May 1, 2018
    bobbyblack likes this.
First

Back
263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272
274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283
Next

Last