KRK KNS-6400 Review - Impressive $99 Giant Killer
Dec 7, 2011 at 7:02 PM Post #196 of 235
Well, the SR-225i seems to have more forward mids than the SR-325is, but I'm not 100% sure on this yet. That doesn't make sense. I wouldn't call the SR-225i's treble tame, but maybe compared to a few of the other Grados. The mids might be more bothersome for some than the treble, but hard to say.

Strangely enough the treble on the Q701 doesn't bother me, but on the K702 it does. Not sure why or how this is possible. I sold the K702 several times due to the treble. I never was able to live with it.

Dec 7, 2011 at 7:11 PM Post #198 of 235

Quote:
Ok last question is about sibilance on the sr225. Is there much of it? If not I might just pull the trigger on this one

Not that I've heard. If it's in the actual recording it doesn't make it any worse than it already is.
It's amazing how much of my music has that in the recording itself. Some of my really warm headphones seem to hide it better.

Dec 7, 2011 at 7:46 PM Post #199 of 235
tdockweiler didn't lead me astray with the DJ 100s, so I got my KRK KNS 6400s today. Gotta say, I'm actually rather surprised by the quantity of bass. I expected the most bass shy headphones ever, but the bass was present, but unemphasized. With a bit of equalization, the KRKs were definitely rumbling decently for electronic music. I will admit, the bass impact is not the same as it is on my Grados or Superluxes, but there is a definite bass presence. The clarity is excellent.

I tried doing some bass frequency sweeps to figure out if I could verify the graphs with what I was hearing. I took a bunch of the Youtube bass sweeps that showed the frequency they were on, closed my eyes, and opened them when I felt there was a kind of bass drop off. It basically verified to me that there was a drop off in the ~50hz region that comes very slightly back at around 40hz and then starts to drop off again at 30hz. 

I'm pretty pleased so far.

Dec 7, 2011 at 8:01 PM Post #200 of 235

Quote:
tdockweiler didn't lead me astray with the DJ 100s, so I got my KRK KNS 6400s today. Gotta say, I'm actually rather surprised by the quantity of bass. I expected the most bass shy headphones ever, but the bass was present, but unemphasized. With a bit of equalization, the KRKs were definitely rumbling decently for electronic music. I will admit, the bass impact is not the same as it is on my Grados or Superluxes, but there is a definite bass presence. The clarity is excellent.

I tried doing some bass frequency sweeps to figure out if I could verify the graphs with what I was hearing. I took a bunch of the Youtube bass sweeps that showed the frequency they were on, closed my eyes, and opened them when I felt there was a kind of bass drop off. It basically verified to me that there was a drop off in the ~50hz region that comes very slightly back at around 40hz and then starts to drop off again at 30hz. 

I'm pretty pleased so far.

Glad you like them! I still use them, but not as much as I should. I really need to stop buying so many headphones! I only have one head after all.
If you listen to them for a few days and find them to be keepers, the KNS-8400 memory foam pads fit and are a nice upgrade. I think they're $30, but felt they were worth it. Kind of expensive though. They were once $20 but were always out of stock it seems like.

Dec 8, 2011 at 2:07 PM Post #201 of 235
The bass is more accurate on the KRK 6400 than on the Grados.  People complain about the DT1350's bass, too, but it's more accurate than the boomy stuff most headphones produce.  If you look at the Headroom graphs, the 6400's frequency response is similar to the DT880 600, but with less of a treble peak, more extended extreme highs, and a slight dip in the 60-70hz range, if I remember.  And of course, it's closed.  The impulse response is not as exaggerated and the bass square wave is better.  It's a very good sounding headphone when amped properly... remembering this is a 32ohm headphone that needs an output impedance of 3 ohms or less.  It's sounding nice from the E7 right now being fed the Emu 0204 and I'm not missing the ESP 950 as much compared to when using the T1350 or modded HD25.  The KRK is very pleasant like the Koss, though not as pristine, delicate, or grit-free.  It's also less dry than the DT1350 and seems a little better balanced overall.  I only think the ESP 950 and the ER4S exceed the KRK 6400 when looking at their overall performance.  ESP is the most delicate of the three and the most refined, but lacks bass tightness for some reason.  ER4S is very neutral with exceptionally tight bass, but not the most delicate or refined in comparison to the ESP.  The KRK isn't really super delicate, super neutral, super refined, super distortion free (like the ER4S, ESP, or DT1350), or perfectly tight in the bass, but it's extended, surprisingly neutral, not too dry or liquid, has above average bass accuracy (even compared to the DT990 and DT880... ignore volume, I mean quality), and isn't too bright or hard usually.  ESP is warmer, smoother, more open, and more delicate without question.  Sent it back due to hums, though.  For the price the KRK goes, it's highly under rated, in my opinion.  Its closed sonics is probably its biggest handicap.

Dec 8, 2011 at 5:39 PM Post #203 of 235
Bass-quality wise, the 8400 were much better. More accurate to the note. The 6400, while not boomy or agressive, were monotonic in comparison. Melodic instruments in general with the 8400 were more tuneful: easy to distinguish notes. Actually best I've heard at this price point. Only qualm I have is that they don't isolate as good as they could... Also, though the bass is very articulate and goes well with jazz and the kind, there are times when transients are not the most refined.. Still, best I've heard in this price range. 
Listened to Nucleus mainly during the time I compared them and with so much "action" going on, it was easy to tell that the 8400 was the better headphone. Not sound wise necessarily, which may be a matter of taste, but in distinguishing musical information definitely. 

Dec 9, 2011 at 4:13 AM Post #205 of 235
Ah, I had both. The FA003 and 8400 that is. Both were excellent, but in the end I found the 8400 a bit better in discerning musical information and they were more portable. Could live with both really. 

Dec 12, 2011 at 6:03 AM Post #206 of 235
I do like how comfortable the upgraded pads for the 6400 are, and the added bass is nice... but it seemed to have lost quite a bit of crispness and upper end extension. Is it just me or has anyone else noticed this?

Dec 12, 2011 at 10:20 AM Post #207 of 235

Quote:
I do like how comfortable the upgraded pads for the 6400 are, and the added bass is nice... but it seemed to have lost quite a bit of crispness and upper end extension. Is it just me or has anyone else noticed this?

I haven't noticed this at all when upgrading the pads. Of course I was never able to compare two pairs of the 6400 side by side.
If anything changed, there was perhaps a tiny bit of extra bass with the 8400 pads.

Dec 12, 2011 at 9:33 PM Post #208 of 235
hey tdockweiler,

i am looking at a pair of dt770/600ohm with black dragon cable upgrade and leather pads on the for sale forums and have seen in another thread that you have recently aquired a pair of these and are happy with them. how would you rate them vs the 8400. i went and had another listed to the 8400 v 6400 v fa003 today and love the 8400 most out of those so it will be the way i will go but if the dt770/600 are a big step up then i might splurge on them.

Dec 13, 2011 at 3:20 AM Post #209 of 235
The DT770 are rather monotonic, muffled and colored in comparison. Haven't done an a/b but the small time I had with them, they weren't that enjoyable. At least with acoustic or instrumental music.

Dec 14, 2011 at 4:27 AM Post #210 of 235
I posted a review for these guys now that I've used them for a bit more. Really enjoying the KRK KNS 6400s, we're still in the honeymoon phase, but they're one of my favorite headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back