KRK KNS-6400 Review - Impressive $99 Giant Killer
Oct 11, 2011 at 4:17 PM Post #181 of 235
Can anyone help me out here? I really want to buy a 1.5M cable for my KRK6400 that isn't straight (like the one that come with the box) but I live in Sweden and I have been looking for a store that sells the cable but no luck so far. The only stores I can find are American and they don't ship international orders!

Oct 11, 2011 at 5:43 PM Post #182 of 235

Quote:
What if the vibration is on the recording and the headphone is not able to produce it ie. is not fast enough? What is ideal exactly? I don't think a headphone should stay "ringing" for a sense of false realism. 

These are very detailed and I find the tone with many instruments is spot on. They don't sugarcoat anything, but notes are easy to follow and they lack coloration that would make a headphone boring in the long term. Musicality in its finest. By that I mean, that it's accurate enough but not harsh, like many studio gear that's meant to pinpoint flaws in recordings. That said, the treble is still a bit too hot.

Not sure if it's my head or not, but I've been listening to the 8400 for two or three hours today and I think the bass response is much more articulate than what it used to be. I go back to recordings I tried when it wasn't quite spot on and more stuff is not distinguishable. Could this be burn-in or that my listening habits have just adjusted? Maybe should take this particular piece of conversation to the 8400 thread 
normal_smile%20.gif

Edit: I have to add that I can't go back to the K272HD anymore. A triumph :) 

If it's not fast enough, then of course it won't sound real either. There's a balance somewhere in between and the ideal is when your ears tell you that you're listening to a real instrument without any medium in between. Like listening in a live atmosphere. Decay is only a small part, like I said tone is more important. A poor recording may also play a part in the tonality but for the sake of argument let's assume we're listening to excellent recordings.

But if you're saying that they don't sugarcoat and lack coloration, that's exactly what I'm looking for. Maybe in your own words. I'll just need to try them myself and see if we're listening to the same thing 
smily_headphones1.gif
 Thanks for your impressions.

Oct 18, 2011 at 11:07 AM Post #184 of 235

The 6400 sounds amazing from an Emu 0204 feeding a Fiio E6 in mode 3 from the 2V rear mini jack.  Never heard the A700.  The KRK's frequency response is very similar to the Beyerdynamic DT880 600, but with a slight dip in the mid-bass and the sibilance peak (that some find bright on the Beyer) deemphasized.  Otherwise they overlap very closely.  DT880 is underdamped.  KRK is overdamped slightly, but gives you very interesting low end.  People complain about the DT1350's lack of kick, too, but that doesn't mean it's inaccurate.  Both go very low, but obviously the DT1350 has louder bass (with proper seal) and even deeper, flatter bass.  The 50hz waveform is weird looking, but never drops below the 0 line on the KRK.  Perhaps it's a mode or some reflection boosting the bass back a split second later?  If so, it's pretty well timed resonance in there.  I can hear "deeper" into the sound on the DT1350, ER4S, and modded HD25, but my ears don't hurt as much with the KRK.  Still not as comfortable as SportaPros, but it does some things sonically the Koss definitely can't.  And while they do have a mild grime to the midrange, it's lessened with the E6 which also has superior bass to the E7, by the way.  The headband pad is the most bothersome aspect and I just have to adjust it forward and back to difference spots.  The 8400's memory foam for the headband might be worth trying.

Oh and the DT1350 and the 6400 use similar very microphonic cables, but the KRK's is thicker, longer, and removeable.
Quote:
was about to purchase the 6400 but then i started to check out the ath A700. how do you guys think these two compare?

Oct 18, 2011 at 2:48 PM Post #185 of 235
Yeah, I quite dislike the cable on my 8400s. Might try the coiled accessory one...

Dec 7, 2011 at 5:32 PM Post #186 of 235
I had a listen to the kns8400 the other day and came away very impressed! Would you suggest that the 6400 is a big step down in sound as they are $50 cheaper here in Melbourne. I found t,he treble a little leaky at times on the 8400 - will this smooth our with burn in, the ones I heard were fresh out of the box. Otherwise I was amazed at the detail that the 8400 gave me straight out of my iPhone. I listened to the q701 through a Lehmann amp and these sounded pretty close from memory. Which way should I go? 6400 or 8400? Thanks in advance

Dec 7, 2011 at 5:41 PM Post #187 of 235

I don't think it's a step down at all, but it seems most people who've tried both prefer the 8400. I compared both and with my music I prefer the 6400 just because it's mids felt a bit more forward sounding. At least with vocals. I don't run a studio though. I'm using the 6400 with the 8400's memory foam pads. 8400 is probably technically better, but it just comes down to preferences. 8400 may be a bit clear sounding, but it'd take specific music to hear any difference. For me it took some acoustic guitar music with a large soundstage. It's like comparing the HD-600 to the HD-650 when it comes to this, but even less of a difference. Maybe it's a bigger difference for some.

On my first pair of 8400's the treble was like icicles in the ears. It was a lot better after burn-in. My 2nd pair didn't seem to have this issue. My first pair was a pair I bought at Guitar Center before most stores had them.

Quote:
I had a listen to the kns8400 the other day and came away very impressed! Would you suggest that the 6400 is a big step down in sound as they are $50 cheaper here in Melbourne. I found t,he treble a little leaky at times on the 8400 - will this smooth our with burn in, the ones I heard were fresh out of the box. Otherwise I was amazed at the detail that the 8400 gave me straight out of my iPhone. I listened to the q701 through a Lehmann amp and these sounded pretty close from memory. Which way should I go? 6400 or 8400? Thanks in advance

Dec 7, 2011 at 5:59 PM Post #189 of 235
The 8400 is closer to the HD600 than the HD650.  It compares very favorably to my modded FA-003's (which I liked more than the HD600).  You can see my reviews on the 8400 (on this thread or the 8400 thread.. can't remember which one).. the 8400's were quite bright fatiguing out of the box.. now.. they're much smoother & very articulate.

And I'm not heaping praise on them cause I've got a pair up for sale either (again, see my previous reviews on them).. they're superb phones, regardless.  BTW, mine are a more recent version of the 8400.. so the irregularities people heard from (early) production versions isn't what I'm hearing.  The 8400 are quite smooth, bass is perfect for a monitor-type phone, and freakishly detailed to my ears.

Dec 7, 2011 at 5:59 PM Post #190 of 235

Quote:
Thanks, with the hd600and hd650 analogy, I am more of a hd600 person. Which of the two would fall into that side of the fence? 8400 probably I suppose

Sorry, I only meant it's like comparing the sound clarity or clearness of sound between the HD-600/650. To me, the differences for me between the 6400 and 8400 is like comparing the K601 to the K702. The K702 like the 8400 is technically better, but I still prefer the 6400/K601.

Honestly, the HD-600/650 is as far away from the KRK sound as you can get. The KRK KNS-6400 isn't even that warm sounding. They're closer to maybe an AKG or Beyer. More like the AKGs. I think some people who like the K702 might like the KRK KNS-8400.

I don't think you can go wrong with either of them. If you like the 8400 you should like the 6400. It seems some people seem to think the 8400 is warmer and much more musical. I wish I had more time with my 2nd 8400. It's mids were most definitely neutral and kind of too relaxed for me. Both are detail monsters. There seems to be a little bit less treble on the 6400 it seems.

Dec 7, 2011 at 6:15 PM Post #191 of 235
Thanks for your replies! I think maybe the 8400 might be for me if you think the treble will smooth out a little more over time. One last curve ball - I am also eyeing off a sr225 on eBay which I can get for the same price as the 8400 more or less. What do you reckon - is this an upgrade or a side grade. I am a little afraid of the grado highs and think I may be better off with the 8400 in this regard. Which one would be better with my fav genres. Folk, acoustic, blues, classical, etc.

Dec 7, 2011 at 6:22 PM Post #192 of 235

Quote:
Thanks for your replies! I think maybe the 8400 might be for me if you think the treble will smooth out a little more over time. One last curve ball - I am also eyeing off a sr225 on eBay which I can get for the same price as the 8400 more or less. What do you reckon - is this an upgrade or a side grade. I am a little afraid of the grado highs and think I may be better off with the 8400 in this regard. Which one would be better with my fav genres. Folk, acoustic, blues, classical, etc.

Well, the SR-225i's treble or forward mids don't bother me at all. It makes the 8400 look like a snore fest. The 8400 is just more neutral sounding and not as fun to many.
It's really hard to compare them since they're so different. If I had to pick between the SR-225i and the KRK KNS-6400, I might take the SR-225i. Just a bit more fun to listen to, but not as comfortable.
Now if I was in a studio or preferred the neutral sound, no way I'd take the SR-225i. I do love my forward mids.

Dec 7, 2011 at 6:28 PM Post #193 of 235
No it's just for home use. I have the hd600 and dt250/80 and am looking for something with more detailed sound to complement them. Do you think the sr225 top end is no brighter than the 8400? I was scared of the grado highs as I have had the sr80 before and found them too shrill. I do love my forward mids as well and am looking for something that will exploit this more than my current phones as a different sound

Cheers

Dec 7, 2011 at 6:43 PM Post #194 of 235

Quote:
No it's just for home use. I have the hd600 and dt250/80 and am looking for something with more detailed sound to complement them. Do you think the sr225 top end is no brighter than the 8400? I was scared of the grado highs as I have had the sr80 before and found them too shrill. I do love my forward mids as well and am looking for something that will exploit this more than my current phones as a different sound
Cheers

The treble on the SR-80 bothers me, but it doesn't on the SR-225i. It of course depends on the recording. Even on a very brightly recorded song, the 225i doesn't bother me much. I just got in the 325is and it's a bit more bothersome on these tracks, but not too badly.

I'd say the KNS-8400 has more treble than the SR-225i, but not the SR-325is.

You could also look into the DT-880. That's a nice alternative to the HD-600. I think someone earlier said the KRK KNS-6400 sounded similar to the DT-880. I don't think it's that cold and analytical, but pretty close.

Q701 is also nice
biggrin.gif

Dec 7, 2011 at 6:57 PM Post #195 of 235
So is it true that the sr225 is the tamest of all grados. If you think that the treble and mids are no more piercing than the 8400 or q701 maybe I think it might be time to give grado another go. I love the intimate sound of them but find they make my ears ring for days afterwards. I have heard the sr60, sr80 and rs2.
Thanks, you are really helping me here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back