Koss Pro DJ 100 - The Budget King
Jun 24, 2013 at 9:02 PM Post #1,906 of 2,344
Quote:
The DJ100 I have hasn't impressed me yet with it's (crystal clear) sound clarity like it usually does but I think it needs maybe a week of use or at least a few days. Based on my old pairs the DJ100 seems to get clearer and clearer after the first few days.
The headband is still pretty stiff and the comfort is so-so at the moment. Sounds hard to believe, but somehow these pads get more comfortable with use. My KRK KNS-6400 was like that.

I have been surprised how much I have been enjoying the TB's through my clip zip (rb'd) and C&C BH. At times I have hallucinated that the sound is somewhat distant or veiled, but then that impression goes away and I will just end up finding that I am simply really enjoying my music with them. So, I think that we are bonding quite well!

Quote:
I think i'm going to order more M50 pads ASAP. The imaging and soundstage isn't as good as I remember, but still not bad. Probably not a huge difference. I think it's just the stock pads maybe holding some things back very slightly.

If you don't mind, let me know where you are getting them from, because I'd love to try them.

Thanks!

Jun 24, 2013 at 9:21 PM Post #1,907 of 2,344
The Tonys are passing the Donald Fagen " The Nightfly" test with flying colors.

Tyll is right about the papery highs. Sometimes crash cymbals are a bit electronic sounding.

It's really only a minor thing when considered with how pleasing the overall sound signature is.

I burned em' last night and today with looping pink noise, and it does seem to have helped with low bass definition, and over all separation and soundstage.
Keepers.
Cool thing is, Tuesday Morning has a 45 day return policy if I get all weird about these phones for some reason.
Win/ Win.

Jun 26, 2013 at 11:49 PM Post #1,909 of 2,344
Tried these some more with Fallout 3 last night. I think these headphones are almost meant for that game! Sounds amazing for Fallout 3. Ended up comparing all my headphones for use in that game. Really couldn't come up with a winner since they were all about equally as good. OK, due to preferences an open headphone I usually use but it's mostly for it's soundstage and comfort.

The thing I noticed the most about the DJ100 is that with this game it's very full sounding. Everything was just so lifelike and I felt like I was right there. You got the same feeling with the HD-650, but strangely my DJ100 sounded a bit fuller in the mids but it could just be due to it being closed. When you're out walking around with your metal Power Armor you can actually feel it. I don't get that as much on the Q701, but it's there on the HD-650. I think at one point it was right at the edges of sounding almost dark, but there still must be some slight treble peak somewhere. I think it tries to be smooth sounding yet still have good treble. Those rumbling sounds in the subways are not very present on the Q701. A little more on the HD-650, but barely. They nearly go missing on the K400. They're the most audible/present on the DJ100 and KRK KNS-8400 than any other headphone I own. I think on the DT-770 Pro 80 it gave my ears a nice massage so it must be low bass. I don't believe that one has a huge mid-bass hump and it's mostly emphasized low bass.

I immediately switched to the KRK KNS-6400 after the DJ100 and it seemed like someone went and sucked all the warmth out of the game. Weapons were a lot more annoying (Assault rifles were ear piercing) and something just didn't feel right. I think the KRK KNS-6400 has good low-bass, but does not emphasis the mid/upper bass at all. I think there might even be a dip in the mid-bass.

Basically to my ears the HD-650 sounded like an open DJ100. HD-650 has a little less bass, not quite as full sounding and a larger soundstage. I think the DJ100 sounds a bit more clear/detailed though. That's probably just due to being closed. I've always found closed headphones to usually sound clearer.

I usually use my Q701 for gaming but last night I ended up using the K400 all night. I really can't decide if I prefer the Anniversary K702 pads for gaming or the stock Q701.

I think one thing I love the most about the DJ100 is that despite how full and warm it can be (stock), it never loses sound clarity. To my ears when you make the K702/Q701 even warmer it just sounds muffled. Maybe that's why I'm not a fan of the Anniversary. I think the lower mids are too forward on the Anniversary.

What's also kind of weird is that the Annie doesn't really have enough treble for me, but the DJ100 and HD-650 does. Can't explain that one. The male vocals in Arefu sounded harsh and annoying on the Anniversary. Not sure why, but could be the game's fault.

It's weird saying my DJ100 is warmer/fuller than my HD-650(!). My HD-650 is pretty smooth and has no lack of treble at all. It's the closest i've come to an open DJ100. I actually kind of think of my DJ100 as a mix of a Grado SR-225i and maybe an HD-650 (only if I use my M50 pads). I wonder if there is anything else out there like that that's open?

EDIT:

BTW the DJ100 is especially good with the E17 so far. I find that flat but with a very small touch of warmth. Barely audible. It's nice for the Q701 and K400 too as a DAC. I think the E17 might put some emphasis on low mids but I don't know how that's possible since it's measures flat. Male vocals do seem a bit more peaky than they should be. Weird.

Going to test my Clip+ and Fuze with the E17 and DJ100 tomorrow. I think the Clip+ is kind of warm but only compared to my Ipod Touch 2G or say the ODAC. People say "double amping" it will add all sorts of distortion but it always sounds fine to me. I actually prefer my DJ100 going from a headphone jack on a player to a portable amp. I'm not a fan of the Fuze Line Out and I don't know why it sounds so bad.

Jun 28, 2013 at 3:33 AM Post #1,910 of 2,344
Did anyone have to deal with the warranty service regarding these? I think the cable near the jack is somewhat screwed as if I try to touch it the sound is goes wrong ways round.

Anyways, I'm wondering if anyone has dealt with a similar problem and what are they going to do?

Jun 29, 2013 at 7:15 AM Post #1,911 of 2,344
Amazon just made me an offer I couldn't refuse, and I snagged a pair of 100's just now for 39.99.
I own KSC75's and they are ridiculously detailed for 15 bucks, and now it seems I may be getting another steal.

Hi everyone, I wanted to get this DJ100 which is on sale in amazon for only:
[size=10.666666984558105px]
Items:
SGD 53.62​
Shipping & handling:
SGD 16.05​

[/size]  
coz its worth SGD119 here in Singapore(usual price at ebay for Singapore is around SGD110-150, I would like to know if it is worth to buy it just to add in my collection. I owned an M50, Grado SR60i, Portapro, Superlux 668B and right now I only have the Ultrasone HFI580 and KSC75, I actually like both but since the DJ100 is on sale, I'm planning on buying it.

Is it worth buying? I'm thinking of other options like the CAL or the Sony V6/7506 or the PX100ii?

my source is Fuze V2 with an E11

Jun 29, 2013 at 5:38 PM Post #1,913 of 2,344
I've been using them for the last few days with just the E17. Not sure why but the E17 straight from the computer sounds way better than with my Clip+, Fuze or Ipod Touch to E17. I think it seems clearer and with a bigger soundstage and less closed in. Much smoother. The E17 really doesn't seem too colored at all, just a tiny touch of warmth. The E10 has the same chipset and I wasn't a fan of what. The E17 sounds much more neutral.

Clip+ to E17 was warmth overdose really (which is like double amping anyway). It was kind of nice but a bit too much warmth for me. I was surprised the Ipod Touch 2G and LOD cable to E17 wasn't better than the E17 alone from the PC.

I think the DJ100 from portable sources kind of sounds a tad more congested (not really congested at all really) compared to using a DAC from a computer.

I do clearly remember that on the first day the bass was a bit more present than it should be. Maybe after use it is just getting clearer and smoother sounding. Who knows...

BTW I found an old Denon 2910 today at a thrift store for $10 (50% off day!). Going to try that with my DJ100. I remember when it came out it was like $500. Has HDMI and a Burr Brown DAC just like the HRT MSII.

Anyway I added the Fiio E17 to my first post on suggested sources. I'm really surprised how much I'm impressed with this E17. I usually end up using it on my PC and also on my Xbox 360. I actually use with my my HD-650 on the Xbox
confused_face_2.gif
Seems pretty OK to me.

That new Fiio portable player looks interested. I wonder what the power output is on it. My old Ipod 3G (one with monochrome screen) seems to drive the DJ100 the best.

Jun 30, 2013 at 9:22 PM Post #1,915 of 2,344
Quote:

Hi everyone, I wanted to get this DJ100 which is on sale in amazon for only:
[size=10.666666984558105px]
Items:
SGD 53.62​
Shipping & handling:
SGD 16.05​

[/size]  
coz its worth SGD119 here in Singapore(usual price at ebay for Singapore is around SGD110-150, I would like to know if it is worth to buy it just to add in my collection. I owned an M50, Grado SR60i, Portapro, Superlux 668B and right now I only have the Ultrasone HFI580 and KSC75, I actually like both but since the DJ100 is on sale, I'm planning on buying it.

Is it worth buying? I'm thinking of other options like the CAL or the Sony V6/7506 or the PX100ii?

my source is Fuze V2 with an E11

I got mine from Amazon too:
Item(s) Subtotal: SGD 53.03
Shipping & Handling: SGD 0

Jun 30, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #1,916 of 2,344
By the way, I see you guys using the M50 ear pads but why not the PRO700 ear pads that is round?

PRO700 ear pad on the left, M50 on the right. I have spare 840 ear pads, guess they would fix?

Jun 30, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #1,917 of 2,344
Quote:
By the way, I see you guys using the M50 ear pads but why not the PRO700 ear pads that is round?

PRO700 ear pad on the left, M50 on the right. I have spare 840 ear pads, guess they would fix?

I actually think the Pro700 pads are possibly a little worse than stock. I tried them for a week but didn't like them that much.
They're not very deep at all and my ears touched the sides too much.

SRH-840 pads fit but all the bass went out the window. It made the DJ100 sound very thin and harsh. I think it's just that there was too much room between your ears and the driver.

SRH-940 pads fit also but sound just as bad unfortunately.

I really want some M50 velour pads (not the DT-250 or V6 velours)!

Jul 1, 2013 at 3:25 PM Post #1,919 of 2,344
Yeah, I find that even adding very small amounts of rolled tissue to the stock pads adds way too much reverb to the mids. It's like it gets loose to the outer edge of the cup and bounces off the aluminum. It looks to me, without owning them, that the m50 pads open op the ear space, but the not the airspace to the edges of the driver, which seems to be the bugaboo here IMO .
I find the stock pads meh, and comfort is blah after a while.
Are the M50 pads worth it for comfort and punch?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back