Koss Pro DJ 100 - The Budget King
Apr 7, 2013 at 9:08 PM Post #1,801 of 2,344
Quote:
I recently be a fan of Koss, and having tried the portapro and ksc75, I think koss' sound signature is really lovable. 
then I see this! do you think I should return my portapro and buy this instead?
I'll use them on the go with my ipod nano gen 5 & at home with Fiio E6. 

The DJ100 is closer to the KSC75 sound compared to the Porta Pro since it has a titanium driver also.
You can demo the DJ200 (should be the same as the DJ100) at any Best Buy in the pro audio department.
That's what I would suggest.
The Porta Pro, UR-55 or KSC75 might be better for portable use unless you can use your Fiio E6.

The Porta Pro (based on memory) has less treble and more of a mid-bass hump. Probably worse low-bass extension but I'm not sure about that.

It really depends on preferences. The DJ100 should be more neutral than the Porta Pro.

Apr 7, 2013 at 9:18 PM Post #1,802 of 2,344
Quote:

The DJ100 is closer to the KSC75 sound compared to the Porta Pro since it has a titanium driver also.
You can demo the DJ200 (should be the same as the DJ100) at any Best Buy in the pro audio department.
That's what I would suggest.
The Porta Pro, UR-55 or KSC75 might be better for portable use unless you can use your Fiio E6.

The Porta Pro (based on memory) has less treble and more of a mid-bass hump. Probably worse low-bass extension but I'm not sure about that.

It really depends on preferences. The DJ100 should be more neutral than the Porta Pro.

I find the ksc75 little overbright and really don't fit on the go use. on the other hand, the portapro is a little muddy and mid recessed. In these 2, I prefer the tightness of the bass of ksc75 and the less harsh sound of the portapro, which bring me to this one!
If the ProDJ got a little more bass than the ksc75 and clearer than the Portapro, I'll call it a go :wink:
EDIT: I also like the airiness of the ksc75. the portapro just seems a little bit dull when playing some fast upbeat. but I don't know, something of these 2 headphone keep pulling me toward them everytime I want to listen to music lol! must be the sound signature or something! :wink:

Apr 7, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #1,803 of 2,344
Quote:
I find the ksc75 little overbright and really don't fit on the go use. on the other hand, the portapro is a little muddy and mid recessed. In these 2, I prefer the tightness of the bass of ksc75 and the less harsh sound of the portapro, which bring me to this one!
If the ProDJ got a little more bass than the ksc75 and clearer than the Portapro, I'll call it a go :wink:
EDIT: I also like the airiness of the ksc75. the portapro just seems a little bit dull when playing some fast upbeat. but I don't know, something of these 2 headphone keep pulling me toward them everytime I want to listen to music lol! must be the sound signature or something! :wink:

The best Supra-aural Koss is IMO the KSC35/SportaPro (they share the exact same driver). Less aggressive treble and more extended/tight bass compared to KSC75, but still retains a great sense of clarity unlike PortaPros.

Apr 7, 2013 at 9:48 PM Post #1,804 of 2,344
The best Supra-aural Koss is IMO the KSC35/SportaPro (they share the exact same driver). Less aggressive treble and more extended/tight bass compared to KSC75, but still retains a great sense of clarity unlike PortaPros.

I see a lot of people compare the sportapro with the portapro and said the portapro is better. So I don't know, maybe I'll demo a pair

Apr 8, 2013 at 12:48 PM Post #1,806 of 2,344
Quote:
I recently be a fan of Koss, and having tried the portapro and ksc75, I think koss' sound signature is really lovable. 
then I see this! do you think I should return my portapro and buy this instead?
I'll use them on the go with my ipod nano gen 5 & at home with Fiio E6. 

They are very different in my opinion.

Apr 8, 2013 at 5:06 PM Post #1,807 of 2,344
Quote:
I can go one better.

Disassembled and labelled:

Widen that hole for a 3.5mm female jack.

Solder dem wires.

Finished connections.

Put the jack in place and secure with epoxy glue.

Admire your new DJ100 with removable cables.

What is the jack called? I searched up female 3.5mm jack and I got these male -> female and female to female jacks (none of them had a place to solder the wires at). Any good cheap ones you recommend from ebay? And how hard do you think this is for someone with no headphone internals or or soldering proficiency? 

Apr 16, 2013 at 5:44 PM Post #1,808 of 2,344
i just got my m50 pads today and i gotta say i was really disappointed. when i tried the m50 pads with TBSE, to me it sounded almost like the stock pads except with slightly more bass. To be completely honest i actually liked having the stock pads with tissue paper stuffed inside, to me it sounded more full and fun. 20 dollars not very well spent -.-

Apr 16, 2013 at 6:53 PM Post #1,809 of 2,344
Brown Santa just brought me two Superlux headphones:
- HD-661 (closed portable) ($ 29,00 brand new)
- HD-662F ("F" is for flat response) (closed studio monitoring) ($ 29,00 brand new)

And well...I'm speechless... I'm seriously blown away!
HD-661 is already my fav portable.
This headphone is the real BUDGET KING.
Don't get me wrong but side by side DJ 100 sounds like complete garbage. Really.
If you are a vocals lover and looking for a 1st row mid-centric phone this is the way to go.
The PRaT, clarity and articulation and also top notch.
SQ is awesomeness, price/SQ ratio is craziness pure ($ 29,00 !!!).
The relative lack of sub-bass is the only shortcoming, but they are not burned in yet and it is far from a deal breaker (its a relative lack).

Same for the 662 F, which has an outstanding SQ. It sounds like a closed Q701 or something.
Why the heck spend hundreds of bucks for hyped shizzle. Keep your hard earned money.

Apr 16, 2013 at 7:19 PM Post #1,810 of 2,344
Quote:
Don't get me wrong but side by side DJ 100 sounds like complete garbage. Really.
If you are a vocals lover and looking for a 1st row mid-centric phone this is the way to go.
The relative lack of sub-bass is the only shortcoming, but they are not burned in yet and it is far from a deal breaker (its a relative lack).

Same for the 662 F, which has an outstanding SQ. It sounds like a closed Q701 or something.
Why the heck spend hundreds of bucks for hyped shizzle. Keep your hard earned money.

It's good you found a headphone you like. It took me maybe a dozen pairs to find my favorite. This bolded area is kind of annoying to me because there is no such thing as a "Best Headphone" or "Budget King" for everyone. Nobody will ever like the same headphone or ever agree on what's good. It's just my opinion and that's it. I don't expect everyone to agree with me on how good it is or even how it sounds. I haven't found a closed headphone under $300 I like more than the DJ100, so that for me is my"budget king". I hope to eventually find something I like better that's closed. Not even the SRH-940 and K550 could do it. I still need to try the A900X.

Now instead of bashing the DJ100 you should go review your new headphones. The sign of a really good headphone is one that someone keeps for years and years. For me it's been the Q701 and DJ100. I'm sure i'll have this HD-650 for years.

BTW I had the Superlux HD-668B. It's sort of V-shaped in it's sound signature. I didn't like it but can understand how someone could. For me it was quite unmusical. Supposedly it sounds like a DT-990, but I don't remember that headphone much. From what i've read the HD-662B might be similar to the K240 Studio.

If anyone is curious I went from the SRH-840 to M50 and then from the K240 Studio to the DJ100. I'd probably own the SRH-940 too if it wasn't so dang expensive. The KRKs I also like but they're kind of a bit trebly. It's hard to believe but I once went 3-4 years with just one IEM. That was the Triple Fi 10. It's been so long that I don't even remember the sound signature of them! I need to try the SRH-840 again. I'd have kept that for more than a year but it was so dang awkward to wear and uncomfortable.

Apr 17, 2013 at 1:30 AM Post #1,811 of 2,344
"BTW I had the Superlux HD-668B. It's sort of V-shaped in it's sound signature. I didn't like it but can understand how someone could. For me it was quite unmusical. Supposedly it sounds like a DT-990, but I don't remember that headphone much. From what i've read the HD-662B might be similar to the K240 Studio."
668 B is a completely different sounding headphone.
And btw, "B" stands for Bass ("F" for flat as in 662 F, which is similar to 701 and 940).
661 and 662 are everything but V shaped. 661 is rather mid centric (vocals are amazing), 662 F is flat (the F is no marketing BS).
Sorry, I didn't want to bash the DJ 100. I own it and it is a honnest can. For some reason, it is IMO way over-rated and I dont get it. In particular, I find the DJ 100's vocals both recessed and veiled. Not $ 100,00 worth.

Apr 17, 2013 at 2:21 AM Post #1,814 of 2,344
Brown Santa just brought me two Superlux headphones:
- HD-661 (closed portable) ($ 29,00 brand new)
- HD-662F ("F" is for flat response) (closed studio monitoring) ($ 29,00 brand new)

And well...I'm speechless... I'm seriously blown away!

I too ordered the 661 and also the 681 EVO. While I wait till they both arrive, I picked up the PRODJ100 because I don't think I can survive w/o a headphones for even a day.

So far I'm liking these PRODJ100 in terms of sounds, comfort, build, and isolation. I have no complaints since I got them for $49 at B&H. We'll see how my superlux compares when I get them in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back