Koss Pro DJ 100 - The Budget King
Mar 12, 2013 at 12:33 AM Post #1,666 of 2,344
These headphones sounds very good without any mods. The only reason I got new pads is because I prefer the comfort of velour pads, but ended up getting a bit of extra bonus in terms of sound. If the stock pads were a bit softer, I'd stick with these headphones until they break or have extra cash to upgrade to newer cans.

Quote:
In any case, if most of the reviews are to be trusted, the DJ100's are decent in their own right. I don't plan to spend almost as much as the headphones cost in mods when I get mine, but I think I'll still have a decent pair of headphones that I won't be afraid to stash in my backpack and carry around.

Mar 12, 2013 at 1:37 AM Post #1,667 of 2,344
Quote:
After about 20 hours of listening, i can finally see why this headphone is tdock's favourite.
Before reading about my impression, you guys must know i am still pretty unfamiliar and a newbie to headfi but i will try my best to describe my impression
My impression of the TBSE
Build Quality:
For 65 dollars, these are really something. The build quality on these are almost the same as something that should be in the sub 200 price range. I really loved the metal housing making it feel sturdy and durable. The headphone's build quality is quite good but there is only one thing that is really annoying to me, that one thing would be the squeaky ear cups. When i got home from the store i just noticed that when i try and adjust the ear cup angles, the hinges would squeak and it has been quite annoying, but I'm sure that was just bad luck. One thing i wish that would be on these headphones would be having better finishes around the edges as they are slightly rough, giving a slightly cheaper feeling to the headphone. Overall for 65 dollars these headphones have really great build quality to them.
Isolation/Comfort:
The isolation on TBSE (stock pads) are sub-par for me. These isolate slightly less than the m50s, but for me personally these should be enough isolation to satisfy me. As for comfort, these i really enjoy wearing. The clamping force is perfect for my head size, The padding is soft and feels great, and the amazing light weight on these headphones makes it barely noticeable after long period of listening. An issue that might occur for people with large heads would be the headbands, i have relatively average size head and i had to set the headband 2 clicks for each side from the maximum extension. If people have larger heads, the headbands could be a problem.
Sound Quality:
First thing when i first started listening, i thought the bass was very slightly underpowered and mids were definitely forward and very slightly bloated. As hours past by, i grew further in love with these headphones. About 10 hours after purchase the mids is slowly receding and the bass is starting to come out, the treble was also very smooth which is great for long periods of listening, but i personally would like a slightly more aggressive treble. When i tried the pads with stuffed tissue paper, the bass and mid sounded perfect to me, the treble was slightly better but still smooth which i didn't really enjoy.
Some Questions:
If i were to get an amp or dac with the m50 pads, would the treble, detail, and soundstage improve? If so which amp or dac under 100 would be the best?

@tdocks
you said e11 is ok with dj100 but what about other options like the C&C BH and e12, would they improve the treble response? And are there other sub 100 dollar alternatives?

E11 is OK or maybe you can also try the Fiio e7. I think maybe I didn't give the E7 a fair chance when I had it. One thing I'd suggest try is to try a different source if you can. Of course don't go and buy one.

I would say that M50 pads would give you an impressive of more treble, but it will never have the treble of say a DT-990 or K702
normal_smile .gif
Some people have actually complained that the DJ100 had too much treble, which is kind of weird to me. Sorry I got confused if you had the M50 pads already or not. If you do, I don't think anything would give you more treble. Maybe your source is dark or has rolled off treble? My Ipod Touch 2G seems to be my most treble happy source. My Clip+ seems almost warm in comparison. Both measure flat too I guess.

For those that have other headphones, I really like the Magni or Fiio E9 with the DJ100. It's probably not worth it for just the DJ100. Actually I think it is, but only for those that REALLY, REALLY love the DJ100. It would be wrong to suggest anyone go out and buy a $100 amp for them!

BTW if anyone is curious the Schiit Modi is perfect for the DJ100/TBSE as a DAC. I actually prefer it to my ODAC and it's $50 cheaper. Both are perfect for the DJ100 though.

Forgot to mention that if you get creaking with the DJ100 it goes away in a few days. Every pair I've purchased had a lot of clamping force and creaking right out of the box. It goes away. My DJ100 has very little clamping force at all now.

Mar 12, 2013 at 11:39 AM Post #1,668 of 2,344
E11 is OK or maybe you can also try the Fiio e7. I think maybe I didn't give the E7 a fair chance when I had it. One thing I'd suggest try is to try a different source if you can. Of course don't go and buy one.

I would say that M50 pads would give you an impressive of more treble, but it will never have the treble of say a DT-990 or K702
normal_smile%20.gif
 Some people have actually complained that the DJ100 had too much treble, which is kind of weird to me. Sorry I got confused if you had the M50 pads already or not. If you do, I don't think anything would give you more treble. Maybe your source is dark or has rolled off treble? My Ipod Touch 2G seems to be my most treble happy source. My Clip+ seems almost warm in comparison. Both measure flat too I guess.

For those that have other headphones, I really like the Magni or Fiio E9 with the DJ100. It's probably not worth it for just the DJ100. Actually I think it is, but only for those that REALLY, REALLY love the DJ100. It would be wrong to suggest anyone go out and buy a $100 amp for them!

BTW if anyone is curious the Schiit Modi is perfect for the DJ100/TBSE as a DAC. I actually prefer it to my ODAC and it's $50 cheaper. Both are perfect for the DJ100 though.

Forgot to mention that if you get creaking with the DJ100 it goes away in a few days. Every pair I've purchased had a lot of clamping force and creaking right out of the box. It goes away. My DJ100 has very little clamping force at all now.

Thank you for the feedback :)

Mar 12, 2013 at 1:17 PM Post #1,669 of 2,344
So for some reason the jack is a little messed up and if it bends a little in one direction the sound cuts out or gets weird. As the coiled wire is above ground, every time I move it swings the cable around a bit and the sound gets silent, then normal, then weird, then normal etc. Any way to fix that easily? This could be perhaps due to me moving 3 meters away from my pc when I watch movies and the headphone cable just got stretched. Here's a pic of how I watched the movies in case it helps. (red arrow is where the problem is)

Mar 12, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #1,670 of 2,344
Get a longer/straight cable (if you have the TBSE w/a removable one) or an extension so it doesn't put as much stress on the jack?

That jack's gonna give out eventually if you keep tugging in it... Is it on the PC itself or what? Could always upgrade to a USB DAC like an E17 and sidestep the issue altogether.

Mar 12, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #1,671 of 2,344
Quote:
Get a longer/straight cable (if you have the TBSE w/a removable one) or an extension so it doesn't put as much stress on the jack?

That jack's gonna give out eventually if you keep tugging in it... Is it on the PC itself or what? Could always upgrade to a USB DAC like an E17 and sidestep the issue altogether.

Unfortunately mine doesn't have a removable cable and I'm planning to get a soundcard so a usb dac is not possible. Any cheap way to solve it (<$5)?

Mar 12, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #1,672 of 2,344
Won't you plug them into the back if you get a sound card? Sometimes the card's amp isn't used for front jacks... Anyway, it's not very hard or expensive to add a new pair of front panel jacks if you have an empty 3.5/5.25" bay (or are handy with a Dremel). An extension run from the rear jack would be the cheapest solution, I doubt it'll change the sound in any way unless you're big into the whole cable scene.

Mar 14, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #1,673 of 2,344
I just picked up a used pair of these off the forums. They sound a little thin to me, but I'm comparing them to much more expensive headphones that they shouldn't match up against. For the price, I'm quite impressed, and the build is much better than I would have hoped for. They seem very durable, and the headband adjustment has a better tactile quality than many more expensive cans. I have to commend them for offering such a solid product, not giving in to the bass-above-everything trend, and supplying a lifetime warranty with a lower end product. Great beater cans...

Mar 15, 2013 at 10:05 AM Post #1,674 of 2,344
Quote:
I just picked up a used pair of these off the forums. They sound a little thin to me, but I'm comparing them to much more expensive headphones that they shouldn't match up against. For the price, I'm quite impressed, and the build is much better than I would have hoped for. They seem very durable, and the headband adjustment has a better tactile quality than many more expensive cans. I have to commend them for offering such a solid product, not giving in to the bass-above-everything trend, and supplying a lifetime warranty with a lower end product. Great beater cans...

Not sure what your using as a source, but they're definitely a lot thinner sounding from SOME portables and my Ipod Touch 2G. The Clip+ does add some warmth though, but I only like that now with M50 pads. It seems like the more power you give them the fuller sounding they get.

The DJ100/TBSE with Pearstone pads is nearly as full sounding as my HD-650! This is even with a transparent amp/dac like the Magni/Micro Amp and ODAC/Modi.

Mar 17, 2013 at 5:37 AM Post #1,675 of 2,344
Quote:
Not sure what your using as a source, but they're definitely a lot thinner sounding from SOME portables and my Ipod Touch 2G. The Clip+ does add some warmth though, but I only like that now with M50 pads. It seems like the more power you give them the fuller sounding they get.

The DJ100/TBSE with Pearstone pads is nearly as full sounding as my HD-650! This is even with a transparent amp/dac like the Magni/Micro Amp and ODAC/Modi.

Very nice, I can only assume that the TBSE must b using the dj 200 driver as that what it sounds like ur talkinga bout! 

Mar 17, 2013 at 11:26 AM Post #1,676 of 2,344
Quote:
Very nice, I can only assume that the TBSE must b using the dj 200 driver as that what it sounds like ur talkinga bout! 

I can pretty much guarantee the DJ100, TBSE and DJ200 all use the same drivers.
I think the only reason some of them may sound different is that older DJ100s had no holes drilled straight down to the aluminum in the cups.
This is my idea why some think the TBSE has a bit more treble than the DJ100. I didn't really notice much difference but I did not do an A/B comparison.

Since the newer Dj100s have the holes drilled deeper, they should sound identical to the TBSE/DJ200.

Mar 17, 2013 at 11:30 AM Post #1,677 of 2,344
Quote:
I can pretty much guarantee the DJ100, TBSE and DJ200 all use the same drivers.
I think the only reason some of them may sound different is that older DJ100s had no holes drilled straight down to the aluminum in the cups.
This is my idea why some think the TBSE has a bit more treble than the DJ100. I didn't really notice much difference but I did not do an A/B comparison.

Since the newer Dj100s have the holes drilled deeper, they should sound identical to the TBSE/DJ200.

I hope, although I'm skeptical. I demo'd a pair at best buy, bought a pair at best buy, bought a pair at office depot and they all sounded HORRIBLE e.e

I'd jump on the TBSE at $50 but alas I already spent way to much on my w1000x combo

Mar 23, 2013 at 1:49 PM Post #1,678 of 2,344
[size=medium]Hello, this is my first post (and sorry for my english).[/size]
[size=medium]When reading this thread, I first thought these cans were another under-rated “hidden beauty”, like the amazing Beyer DT-250. So I pulled the trigger last week.[/size]

[size=medium]Right out of the box, the DJ 100 is a joke. The ear pads are a nightmare and the sound is terrible. I was about to drop them directly in the garbage can. I was so annoyed that I not even bothered sending them back or selling them. But since I’m a proud owner of a Q701, I knew they deserved a second chance and gave them the break-in they needed. [/size]

[size=medium]After one week, the sound got better, but the difference wasn’t spectacular. So I decided to replace the pads. I was blown away, the improvement was huge. With a better seal and more air between the ears and the drivers, the muffled treble and the lower mids opened up: speed, air, clarity, details and punch… wow! And suddenly an impressing soundstage. It is definitely true that the M50 pads are mandatory.[/size]

[size=medium]I cannot believe the guys at Koss aren’t aware of this issue, so why the heck does this phone come with cheap, uncomfortable pads that totally ruin the sound? To lower the price? For me, that is nothing less than a commercial harakiri. Oh well…[/size]

[size=medium]That being said, the Dj 100 are far from perfect and IMO they are a bit over-hyped. The V shaped sound is fun and engaging, but not natural, and the bass is almost boomy… The fit is too loose (I can do standing back-flips with my DT-250 on). The headband is always screwed and makes me look like a retard. Plus, the SQ depends way to much on the positioning of the pads.[/size]

[size=medium]But the biggest surprise were the mids. Like tdockweiler, I think that the magic of the music is in the mids, but IMO the Dj 100’s mids are awful. In fact, I ordered these cans because of the supposed crystal clear vocals… and couldn’t believe they sounded that bad, at best average. My reference phones for vocals are Q701 (with more than 1000 hours), Grado sr60i, Beyer DT-250 and my old Senn HD-540 Reference. They play in another league here.[/size]
[size=medium]Who knows, maybe a bad batch? I suspect Koss has a poor quality check, and inconsistent manufacturing processes. Or are theses fakes? You can check the picture, but I doubt it.[/size]

[size=medium]In the end, the KDJ 100 is a weird headphone. I’m not sure the guys at Koss knew what kind of headphone they wanted. I don’t understand which direction this phone is going with that sound. Is the Dj100 a kind of botched project?[/size]
[size=medium]Anyway, I do like them and they are worth the price, no question. The design is nice and the built quality very good. The soundstage great. But the mids..? Well no...[/size]
[size=medium]I listen a lot to acoustic guitar, female vocals, folk, folk-rock, singer/songwriter,… and the dj 100 is definitely not the headphone for those genres. IMO, it is good for rap, hip-hop, pop and electric rock. For example, Curren$y’s “Pilot Talk” sounds amazing.[/size]

[size=medium]Btw, this is my gear: ODAC+O2 :: ClipZip+Fiio E06 :: Behringer UCA-222.[/size]
[size=medium]Surprisingly, they sounded the best out of the Behringer, which is supposed to be the worst match given its high impedance output.[/size]

[size=medium]Finally, it has been said that the DJ 100 isn’t a DJ headphones. In fact, it is. With the M50 pads, the V shaped sound is engaging and PRaTfull. The seal is above average. And the sub-bass, which is non-existant, is the last thing a DJ needs, because it’s coming from the outside of the cans, directly from the dancefloor’s speakers, hitting you in the stomach.[/size]

Mar 23, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #1,679 of 2,344
Quote:
[size=medium]Hello, this is my first post (and sorry for my english).[/size]
[size=medium]When reading this thread, I first thought these cans were another under-rated “hidden beauty”, like the amazing Beyer DT-250. So I pulled the trigger last week.[/size]

[size=medium]Right out of the box, the DJ 100 is a joke. The ear pads are a nightmare and the sound is terrible. I was about to drop them directly in the garbage can. I was so annoyed that I not even bothered sending them back or selling them. But since I’m a proud owner of a Q701, I knew they deserved a second chance and gave them the break-in they needed. [/size]

Seriously, you should return that thing immediately. If you can't, Koss has a lifetime warranty. The first red flag for me is when you said V-Shaped. The DJ100/TBSE is almost a compete opposite of V-shaped. Most people say it's mid-centric and not a bassy headphone. I actually say it's sound signature is similar to my HD-650, but with forward upper mids and more treble. Less muffled sounding. It shouldn't sound that dramatically different than a Q701. More bass, more warmth and less treble. That's basically it! Both have forward upper mids.

There is also good sub-bass, but it's not pronounced. It actually has more volume in the low bass than my Q701, HD-650 and HD-598. No surprise there. The level of mid-bass is about the same as my HD-650 (which doesn't really have any mid-bass hump).

The DJ100 has smooth treble, but if the DJ100 ever sounds too muffled it's either from a warm source (Clip+), not enough burn in (some might not need any) or a defect.

If the DJ100 ever sounds cave-like in the upper mids or they sound recessed, it's broken. I've had about 7-8 DJ100s (weird, I know) and they all sounded the same mostly when properly broken in.

If mine sounded V-Shaped they'd go into the dumpster immediately
normal_smile .gif

It should sound crystal clear with your ODAC and O2 if it was 100% OK. I have the Magni/Modi and had the ODAC and it pretty much sounds more like a flat studio monitor with slight mid emphasis. IMO the DJ100 is actually clearer than even my Q701! Yet it's much warmer too and has less treble. The upper mids of the Q701 are actually more forward than those of the DJ100 though I think.

Anyway, never had a V-shaped DJ100, but I'd hate to hear that..maybe someday i'll get to hear one!

Oh and I think the pads could be better but I think they're not that good due to costs. The DJ100 is $55USD in the USA. I wish they made a version with better pads like a foam backing. The pads just are not deep enough. They do get more comfortable after a week of use.

EDIT: Could be quite a few random bad pairs going out. I've heard from a few others that have said some had cave like upper mids. One even said his had "cardboard" mids, whatever that sounds like
confused_face_2.gif

I have however heard a pair that sounded like garbage out of the box, but I won't go there. That's like out of 7 pairs. The Titanium driver is said to be stiff and needs some use before being at it's best.

Mar 23, 2013 at 3:57 PM Post #1,680 of 2,344

Users who are viewing this thread

Back