Koss Pro DJ 100 - The Budget King
Jan 26, 2013 at 12:00 PM Post #1,441 of 2,344
Am I on crack?  
size]

I have bought, then returned the Koss Tony Bennett SE headphones twice now.  I've tried to find a merit with the headphones that I could appreciate.  I do realize many people do love these headphones, and certainly, Koss has been in the game long enough to make great headphones.  I'm just not sure what it was with the headphones that never thrilled me too much.

Maybe, I'm one of the outcasts when it comes to these headphones.  Not sure.  But, for $50.00, the quality, the case that one gets with them when they buy them from Tuesday Morning is an astonishing bargain.

Jan 26, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #1,442 of 2,344
Quote:
Am I on crack?  
size]

I have bought, then returned the Koss Tony Bennett SE headphones twice now.  I've tried to find a merit with the headphones that I could appreciate.  I do realize many people do love these headphones, and certainly, Koss has been in the game long enough to make great headphones.  I'm just not sure what it was with the headphones that never thrilled me too much.

Maybe, I'm one of the outcasts when it comes to these headphones.  Not sure.  But, for $50.00, the quality, the case that one gets with them when they buy them from Tuesday Morning is an astonishing bargain.

Put the pipe down
wink_face.gif
   I was like that at first, I thought they sounded good.  Now I've been rocking them constant.  They need some small Eq and a Amp is needed.  They really need some power behind them.  They do ok on the headphone out but a neutral amp and they really come alive.  IMO these are right behind Grado's when it come to rock and metal, And that's saying A LOT.....For such a cheap set they really have some speed behind them, And that crunch of the guitars is quite good.

Tony Iommi would agree
smile.gif

My set up:

Itouch 3rd gen-No Eq
Accudio Pro-with the Pioneer SE-MJ591 setting-SB8/B6/V0/S0/T3
Matrix M-Stage w/LT1364
Koss=
biggrin.gif

Jan 26, 2013 at 12:49 PM Post #1,443 of 2,344
Quote:
I hear crackling when I watch movies... When people speak any idea why? Maybe I need to burn them in? When I replay it the crackling goes away

I would just return it. If you can't, Koss has a lifetime warranty.

Jan 30, 2013 at 8:34 AM Post #1,445 of 2,344
I hear crackling when I watch movies... When people speak any idea why? Maybe I need to burn them in? When I replay it the crackling goes away

I am pretty shure it could have been hair touching the driver at higher volumes. Ha
Great 2 know they replaced it.

Jan 30, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #1,446 of 2,344
Very detailed review on these. Great job. I bought these for $40 on a slickdeal and also picked up the m50 pads off the suggestion of a good amazon review. They sound and feel so much better. Heavier, though. Great starter headphone

Jan 30, 2013 at 10:00 PM Post #1,448 of 2,344
heya, tdockweiler..

I just love the Pro DJ100  sleek, simple looks and am a sucker for aluminum 
size]
, but after several weeks of reading this forum, it was your review that convinced me I've got to get a pair of Pro DJ100. I'm new at this and this will be my first ever headphones, so I have a few questions. I can't get these where I live (thailand), and will have to order from amazon which will ship to my friend's in the states then she'll ship them to me. As you can see if I ended up with a defective pair then I'm screwed, so quality wise are these hit and miss? Another question is I sorta have my heart set on a PA2V2 amp and wondering if it's suitable for the 100?

I'm sure the answer may lies in this 90 some page thread, so apologies in advance for not having the time to go through it all. 

thanks

Jan 30, 2013 at 10:14 PM Post #1,449 of 2,344
I used the DJ100 with the PA2V2 and an iPhone 4 for a very short time. I remember liking the sound, but ideally I wanted the DJ100 as a portable and wasn't happy with the size of an iPhone strapped to the PA2V2. Also the PA2V2 did not work well at all with the iPhone because of EMI. The plastic enclosure did not resist noise at all. The PA2V2 was able to drive them plenty well and had a bit of a warm signature so I thought it sounded good. The DJ100 just didn't sound good or get loud enough from just my iPhone 4 so I ended up returning the Dj100. It would probably work great with my E17 now though. 

They are mostly metal, so durability should be pretty good. 
Quote:
heya, tdockweiler..

size]
, but after several weeks of reading this forum, it was your review that convinced me I've got to get a pair of Pro DJ100. I'm new at this and this will be my first ever headphones, so I have a few questions. I can't get these where I live (thailand), and will have to order from amazon which will ship to my friend's in the states then she'll ship them to me. As you can see if I ended up with a defective pair then I'm screwed, so quality wise are these hit and miss? Another question is I sorta have my heart set on a PA2V2 amp and wondering if it's suitable for the 100?

I'm sure the answer may lies in this 90 some page thread, so apologies in advance for not having the time to go through it all. 

thanks

Jan 30, 2013 at 10:47 PM Post #1,451 of 2,344
Quote:
heya, tdockweiler..

size]

thanks

Awhile back someone on here had a defect and it supposedly sounded awful. He returned it and it was fine. I think there was another guy who had one broken out of the box. In the 3 years they've been out, these are only the issues i've heard of.
I've had about seven pairs (it's nuts, I know) and none of them have ever died. I usually killed them myself with mods. Ooops.

I blew up one driver when I opened the cup and accidentally cut the wire. I didn't realize this until I wasted several hours wondering why my recable didn't work.

My Tony Bennett headphone also had a defect. The cable caused sound to be louder in the left channel. Getting a new cable fixed this.

I think the Koss lifetime warranty applies to outside the USA too.

Honestly I think these are built like a tank. That aluminum is actually very thick inside.

It's a bad idea to mention this, but a few of my pairs needed burn in. Anyone can feel free to ignore that comment
biggrin.gif

I haven't burned in a headphone in about...forever.

Oh yeah.. I think someone recently had a pair that was crackling.

PA2V2 should be ok, but i've never heard it. I'm thinking of getting a Jdslabs CMOY for mine.

Another thing I should point out is that some pairs are a bit creaky and clamp a bit out of the box, but it goes away within a few days.

Jan 30, 2013 at 11:09 PM Post #1,452 of 2,344
Awhile back someone on here had a defect and it supposedly sounded awful. He returned it and it was fine. I think there was another guy who had one broken out of the box. In the 3 years they've been out, these are only the issues i've heard of.
I've had about seven pairs (it's nuts, I know) and none of them have ever died. I usually killed them myself with mods. Ooops.

I blew up one driver when I opened the cup and accidentally cut the wire. I didn't realize this until I wasted several hours wondering why my recable didn't work.

My Tony Bennett headphone also had a defect. The cable caused sound to be louder in the left channel. Getting a new cable fixed this.

I think the Koss lifetime warranty applies to outside the USA too.

Honestly I think these are built like a tank. That aluminum is actually very thick inside.

It's a bad idea to mention this, but a few of my pairs needed burn in. Anyone can feel free to ignore that comment :D

I haven't burned in a headphone in about...forever.

Oh yeah.. I think someone recently had a pair that was crackling.

PA2V2 should be ok, but i've never heard it. I'm thinking of getting a Jdslabs CMOY for mine.

Another thing I should point out is that some pairs are a bit creaky and clamp a bit out of the box, but it goes away within a few days.
yea its fixed now.... It went away after a while... Idk what happened but it's all good now

Jan 30, 2013 at 11:27 PM Post #1,453 of 2,344
Quote:
Thanks, jasonb. Ordered. I don't have an iPhone and will only be using it with my pc, but a Samsung Galaxy S is on the list. 
size]

Cheers, guys. Perhaps we need a dedicated thread for the 100s? 
size]

I could always rename the title to "Koss Pro DJ100 Appreciation Thread"
biggrin.gif

I just noticed for the first time it takes me like an hour to scroll through my review..ugh..oh well.

I also just added a stupid comparison to the HD-650. Mine is much different than most HD-650s.

I also added the Schiit Magni to the list as a good amp for it. Fiio E9 is just as good for it too.

I think I still divide my time between the Q701, HD-650 and DJ100. Hard to believe considering the DJ100 is only $55!

Tomorrow I want to compare the DJ100 with the Clip+ with no external amp and then connected to the Magni.

I don't want to use the Fuze Line Out method since that line out is so much worse than it's headphone out.

DJ100 with stock pads is almost too bassy/warm with the Clip+. With M50 pads it's OK!

Jan 31, 2013 at 7:56 AM Post #1,454 of 2,344
Quote:
Has anyone ever posted pics of them with the M50 pads? I would think tdock probably has but I can't remember, just curious...

Perfect Fit!!!

Jan 31, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #1,455 of 2,344
Quote:
Another question is I sorta have my heart set on a PA2V2 amp and wondering if it's suitable for the 100?

This is the combo i 'm using, and it works great. While perhaps not as loud as it could be, (read, not earsplitting loud) it's good for most the time. There has been a few times where i've wanted just a liiiiittle bit more, and i'm not much of a "loud freak" to start with.

Quote:
Also the PA2V2 did not work well at all with the iPhone because of EMI.

Indeed, this is the main issue i run in to as i'm using it in conjunction with a phone. I don't really need to have them that close to one and other even, it just picks up the noise and isn't much fun when it does that. Gary has confirmed that the PCB is hotglued in to the casing so i've been meaning to pull it out, and layer in some aluminum foil, and protective plastic, to see if the issue goes away.
B!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back