Koss Pro DJ 100 - The Budget King
Jun 16, 2012 at 11:16 PM Post #586 of 2,344
Quote:

Well, the original price is $75 and even then I felt they were worth it. Now $150 for the original Tony Bennett version was a bit high and I'm so glad they reduced the price. $75 for the TB is an absolute steal IMO for those that need a case and detachable cable. I guess for those that don't need that stuff the DJ100 will be just fine.

I kind of have a love/hate thing with Jpop. I try to find stuff I like but it's rather difficult. I like Jpop that's mostly female vocals. For example. Utada Hikaru's Japanese releases are OK to my ears. I even like some Cantpop, but I need to find more of it. I would say the DJ100 is my favorite headphone ever for female vocals. K240 Sextett, KRK KNS-8400 and my Q701 are good too, but just not the same.

I imagine any decent soundcard can drive them well. Hopefully one with a high output impedance won't cause issues. The Clip+ will drive them quite well, but I suggest even a $20 E5 or something. My DJ100 improves with amping more than any other portable headphone i've tried. The biggest difference between using just a clip+ and a clip+ with E5 is that the bass will be better controlled, the sound clearer and the mids more forward (but still smooth and not fatiguing).

I've noticed that the DJ100 is a little less balanced sounding when used straight out of some portable players. Still sounds good. You'll still get more than enough volume, but this doesn't mean much. I'll be surprised if someone can't hear the difference between an unamped DJ100 and one with just an E5.

BTW when it comes to the Clip+, some music will sound absolutely perfect and my reaction is like.."No way these need an amp". It really depends on the songs. The difference is mostly noticeable in anything with lots of bass or acoustic music.

Comparing them to open headphones is a bit difficult and I try not to do this. I have to admit that i'd take them over the SRH-940, K550, D2000 and HD-600/650 any day. I actually did an old comparison of my KRK KNS-8400, M50, SRH-940 and DJ100 and the DJ100 came out on top. The SRH-940 was decent but I felt the DJ100 and KNS-8400 were much better. The K550 bored me to death when I had it. It's mids just didn't do it for me. Possibly the most un-engaging sound i've heard the entire year. Of course i'm one of those weird people who also find the HD-600 and D2000 to be snore-fests. Out of all those headphones you've mentioned, none of them sound similar to the DJ100 I think. Q701 has some similarities, but not doesn't sound like the DJ100. Closest match to the DJ100 i've heard is maybe the Sextett. It also might have some similarities to the Denon DN-HP700 or Beyerdynamic DJX-1 (which I loved).

Oh yeah.. the Grado SR-225is mids remind me of those on the DJ100 kind of. Both are very, very addicting. When I had the SR-225i I was wowed by that headphone due to how fun it was. Sounded good on every source I had!

These definitely are not overhyped. Look at the HTF-600 and old Kicker HP541 threads and then look at this one
normal_smile%20.gif
I think the HTF-600 thread has only about 10,000 replies. I'm glad that some overhyped headphone is actually decent. The first FOTM (kicker HP541) was horrid to my ears. I even tried it twice and wasted 4 hours modding it. Most muffled sounding headphone I ever heard, but I guess it's just not my signature. HTF-600 is quite good for $30. Not very balanced sounding at all though.

A lot of my favorites are not extremely popular around here. Stuff like the K601/501, DJ100, KRKs and even hidden gems like the Maxell DHP-II and Beyerdynamic DT-235. What makes me really sad is that no Beyerdynamic headphone under the DT-770 gets much attention at all. Same with the under-appreciated AKG K240 Studio. It also seems nobody on earth has used the M30 or M45 from Audio Technica.

It is funny though..i've had the DJ100 for nearly 2 years now I think and it still impresses me. Sometimes i feel like i'm on a one man mission to get people to try these
biggrin.gif
You know a headphone is good when you actually keep it for more than a year! I go through so many stupid headphones. K601 and my DJ100 i've owned the longest so far other than my old Triple Fi 10.

Your mission was a success with me - I really appreciate your recommendation of the DJ100s. I haven't used an amp with them - what would you recommend for a lower-tier amp/dac to pair with the DJ100? My portable is the J3, and I think it has enough power, but I'm sure my laptop doesn't. Thanks in advance!

Jun 17, 2012 at 8:52 PM Post #587 of 2,344
Quote:
Your mission was a success with me - I really appreciate your recommendation of the DJ100s. I haven't used an amp with them - what would you recommend for a lower-tier amp/dac to pair with the DJ100? My portable is the J3, and I think it has enough power, but I'm sure my laptop doesn't. Thanks in advance!

There's a few amp suggestions in the first post. My favorite is the US built $100 Total Airhead from Headroom. It's totally worth the money and uses AA batteries or an adapter. It can even drive the HD-600 and Q701 quite well!

Cheaper options are the Fiio E11 or Fiio E5. The E11 seems to give me a larger soundstage and better bass than the E5. Not a huge difference though.

The E9 for the DJ100 is also very good, but only if you use the LARGE jack. You can probably find one used for $110 or so. Strangely enough the 10 ohm output impedance doesn't mess with the DJ100.

BTW if you still have the Ipod Video, trying that with an E5/6 using the headphone out jack instead of the LOD. You'll be impressed I think.

Jun 18, 2012 at 6:00 PM Post #588 of 2,344
Listened to these until 3am again. Seems whenever I put them on for just a few minutes, it turns into an all night listening session. There's nothing at all in my collection that sounds bad with them (don't mean garbage tracks). I kept comparing them to my KRK KNS-6400 and 8400 and really do think the DJ100 is better. I hate to say it, but even the DJ100/TB seems more balanced sounding. Yet the graphs show this is not true. I'll trust my ears instead! There is a lot more treble on the KRKs as well, so some may prefer that. DJ100 has far better bass than either of them. Even better sub-bass.

My setup was Clip+ to Total Airhead. Found that I still prefer the Airhead to the E11, but that should be obvious. The TB/DJ100 is pretty dang accurate. On one song it sounded as if the singer was singing while being inside a thin cardboard box. I 'm thinking..."What the heck?" and checked on KRKs and it's the same. Other times songs sound like they have very recessed vocals, but it's just the recording. Other songs sound warm like Pearl Jam's "Low Light".

I was listening to some Cantopop from a random singer named Gigi Leung and the song was really harsh and there's a lot of sibilance. Almost unlistenable and I wonder how many people would blame the headphone when it's actually in the recording?

When comparing the DJ100/TB to the KRKs the treble on some treble happy songs was a bit more bearable on the DJ100, but not by much. If you have VERY treble happy songs that hurt your ears, they'll still be that way on the DJ100, but a tiny bit easier on the ears.

At times the KRK KNS-8400 sounds a bit more clear, but not by much. I think it's signature just has me fooled and it's just due to more treble or something else. Compared to the KRKs the DJ100 is MUCH fuller sounding, but not like a Sennheiser HD-600, but closer to the HD-598. I don't consider the DJ100 to be a very warm headphone at all. More so than the KRKs, but less so than the M50 or even the SRH-840. If you listen to some of the older Pearl Jam CDs, I get a bit confused. I guess it's how it's due to the equipment it's recorded on.

Now these aren't my favorite albums, but I love how these sound on the DJ100/TB:

Pirates of the Carribean: On Stranger Tides
http://www.amazon.com/Pirates-Of-The-Caribbean-Stranger/dp/B004ZJEY8G

In the Heart of the Moon
http://www.amazon.com/In-Heart-Moon/dp/B0011ZWNI0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1340055942&sr=8-2&keywords=ali+farka+toure

Best i've heard this was on the ATH-AD2000. Haven't heard it that good since. The HD-650 and very warm headphones seem to butcher track #4. Not sure why. Almost makes it muddy sounding.

Boards of Canada - Campfire Headphase
http://www.amazon.com/The-Campfire-Headphase/dp/B001DXDEQA/ref=sr_shvl_album_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1340056165&sr=301-3

Took me several listens to really appreciate this album. DJ100 is very good for ambient electronica. I also love Helios on the DJ100. You can get a free Helios album on their website in FLAC!

Yo-Yo Ma Simply Baroque

http://www.amazon.com/Simply-Baroque-Expanded-Edition/dp/B00138D1SQ/ref=sr_shvl_album_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1340056486&sr=301-1

This sounds like poop on my Q701 compared to the DJ100 and HD-580. No joke! Never thought it was possible.

(this CD really will show you how much an amp like the E11 can help with the soundstage. Crazy, I know).

Don't think I'll be needing to buy any more headphones. Perfectly happy now with my DJ100, HD-580 and Q701. DJ100 and my HD-580 seem to get the most use right now. Surprised I like the 580 so much and the HD-600 not so much...

Jun 18, 2012 at 7:03 PM Post #589 of 2,344
For those on Pearstone velour pads, wash those a couple of times.  The itchiness goes away, but not the stuffiness.

Jun 18, 2012 at 7:44 PM Post #590 of 2,344
Quote:
For those on Pearstone velour pads, wash those a couple of times.  The itchiness goes away, but not the stuffiness.

I should try that again. I made the stupid mistake of buying the Shure SRH-1840 pads thinking they were the same as the SRH-940 pads. Guess they're not!
I don't know if the 940 pads are the size of the 1840 pads, but it's worth another try.

IMO the 1840 pads totally kills the bass of the DJ100 in every way. Pretty amazing how pads alone can do this. I guess the 1840 pads are designed for an open headphone.
Based on memory the 1840 pads seemed softer than the 940 pads, but maybe not.

SRH-840 pads are terrible on the DJ100 unfortunately. Too hard and m50 pads have been the best so far.

HDJ-2000 pads are still on my list to try, but they're $40 and made out of real leather.

I've also heard ATH-Pro700 MKII pads fit the DJ100 but I don't know where to get them. I guess the parts department as Audio Technica is the only place.

Jun 19, 2012 at 12:48 AM Post #591 of 2,344
My replacment E10 arrived. Very happy with how it sounds. Bass boost off / high gain. it sounds really good with this combination, a pleasant amount of bass that doesn't go anywhere near the mid range or highs, I can hear most passages that I normally hear on my TF10 in songs. I think the E10 is an excellent match up with DJ100, I'm a bit of bass head put here's the EQ I'm using with them on VLC media player.

Jun 19, 2012 at 4:11 AM Post #592 of 2,344
tdockweiler: the bass with the Pearlstone velour pads plus stuffing lots of tissue paper to raise them up is insane with the FiiO E11 on eq +1. Blows everything up with eq +2. The key was stuffing lots of tissue paper that made a thick stiff wall and the bass came back thundering while everything mid and up got smoothed out the good way.

Jun 19, 2012 at 8:53 AM Post #593 of 2,344
Quote:
tdockweiler: the bass with the Pearlstone velour pads plus stuffing lots of tissue paper to raise them up is insane with the FiiO E11 on eq +1. Blows everything up with eq +2. The key was stuffing lots of tissue paper that made a thick stiff wall and the bass came back thundering while everything mid and up got smoothed out the good way.

what size are the pearstone pads? specifically the diameter of the ear hole?
the m50 pads sound great, but they are a bit small for my ears, and get a bit sweaty in the summer.

Jun 19, 2012 at 12:23 PM Post #594 of 2,344
Quote:
what size are the pearstone pads? specifically the diameter of the ear hole?
the m50 pads sound great, but they are a bit small for my ears, and get a bit sweaty in the summer.

They are the same size as the m50s and like I said, your ears will get sweaty.  Well, but at least the velour fabric absorbs the sweat :)  I think the stuffiness of these pads is what's keeping the bass.  Sound leakage is minimal with these compared to other velour pads I have.

Jun 19, 2012 at 9:38 PM Post #595 of 2,344
I've decided to sell my DJ100.

They're great for what they are however, after many hours of listening they sound a little dry in comparison to my other IEM / headphones. I was happy with them but when I reach for something else their limitations show straight away. I think they're good for entry level, though lack in clarity and separation which you'll never miss until you hear better. I'm simply not hearing all passages in tracks normally there. They did make me buy the E10 though which is being put to good use with my Turbines and other IEM's. I decided last night after listening to them for a few hours, then swapped to Monster Turbine IEM's which to be honest leave them for dead. I consider my Turbines the lowest quality iem's I primarily use. 

Anyway, was nice being a part of the DJ100 fan club while it lasted. 

Cheers!

Jun 19, 2012 at 10:29 PM Post #596 of 2,344
Quote:

They're great for what they are however, after many hours of listening they sound a little dry in comparison to my other IEM / headphones. I was happy with them but when I reach for something else their limitations show straight away. I think they're good for entry level, though lack in clarity and separation which you'll never miss until you hear better. I'm simply not hearing all passages in tracks normally there. They did make me buy the E10 though which is being put to good use with my Turbines and other IEM's. I decided last night after listening to them for a few hours, then swapped to Monster Turbine IEM's which to be honest leave them for dead. I consider my Turbines the lowest quality iem's I primarily use. 

Cheers!

This basically sums up part of why I ended up meh on the DJ100s. That, and the fact that I felt the sub-bass was presented weirdly. 

Jun 20, 2012 at 12:21 AM Post #597 of 2,344
Quote:

Cheers!

You either like them or you don't. No $55-$75 headphone is going to be perfect for everyone. For me they're a perfect match. You're now the 2nd person who described the DJ100 as being "a little dry". I actually think they sound WAY clearer than the HD-600, HD-598 and K601. No joke. I think the KRK KNS-8400 has a slight advantage there, but could be due to more treble or something fooling me. I've always found that with a nice amp and M50 pads the DJ100 is crystal clear for me. If it's ever muffled or doesn't sound clear it's due to my crappy recordings or bad amp synergy (one that's too dark). Listen to the Inception soundtrack for example. I sure hope you weren't judging it based on that EQ above
biggrin.gif
It seems most amps that play well with the M50 also play well with the DJ100. Not sure why. When I switch from my HD-580 or Q701 I don't feel like i'm missing out on much really. Just the differences between something open and closed.

BTW what's interesting for me is that I had used the Triple Fi 10 (you also have) for 3-4 years straight. I got sick of stuffing things in my ears so I ended up with the DJ100 after the SRH-840, K240, M50 and HFI-680. I saw the frequency graph for the TF10 and I was shocked that I would have liked something like that. It's graph made it seem like a bass monster, which it's really not.

I don't know if you were using M50 pads with your DJ100, but that really does improve sound clarity and the soundstage. The soundstage can be quite impressive with M50 pads and my HRT MSII. With the Buena Vista Social Club CD or any good acoustic music CD you actually feel as if you're listening to a semi-open or even open headphone. Instrument separation is a bit better on the KRK KNS-8400 though or any open headphone.

I'm all for people giving me suggestions for closed headphones under $150 that might top the DJ100 as MY favorite. I feel like I won't ever have any luck and i've tried several dozen. I felt the SR-225i might be able to do it, but that's open and has some issues. So far only the KRK KNS-8400 has come close. Not even the SRH-940 as topped my DJ100 as the King! I do feel the DJ100 kind of gives me a front row effect to the music (reduced a little with M50 pads) and that has some disadvantages for some. Just like with the 225i, I love it. DJ100 really excels for me with vocals and acoustic music. I don't listen to much bass heavy stuff or metal or even much rock. Just some Pearl Jam and that's about it.

BTW if you're really not hearing passages on the DJ100 that are supposed to be there, I don't believe you!
happy_face1.gif
Something must be wrong. If anyone can give me an example track to prove this to me i'll personally mail you a check for $10000000. The DJ100 can pick up things even my KRK and Q701 can't. This is with my Headroom Micro Amp and HRT MSII DAC though. Are you sure it's not really caused by the E10? I'm sure the E10 is perfect with the DJ100, but you shouldn't be missing out on any details. I find the DJ100 with the proper setup can be quite revealing. Not like the DT-880 though.

But if you don't like them, you don't like them..
normal_smile%20.gif

At times I keep trying to come up with complaints about the DJ100, but I really can't. This is rare for me. I love to criticize all my stupid headphones as much as possible. Sometimes I'm like...well, it could use some more treble..but then when I listen to them I'm all wrong. I do wish they really do some awesome straight out ANY player, but they really don't. Then the stock pads aren't that good and uncomfortable for some. Maybe Koss will release the ProDJ1000 with memory foam pads like on the KRK KNS-8400.

Other than the forward mids, the sub bass is actually the 2nd best thing I love about them. No weird sub-bass here. It's funny to think that my DJ100 has the best sub-bass out of all my headphones. I don't own any bass monsters though. It's weird even hearing sub-bass in some of my acoustic music CDs that doesn't even register on my HD-580 and Q701!

Jun 20, 2012 at 12:43 AM Post #598 of 2,344
I gave up on these guys a while back when I started listening to neutral headphones only. After a while, I needed some fun for my ears and gave these guys another shot by messing around with the pads. I have to say that something along the way of all the stuff I was trying it just became so much enjoyable that my coworkers told me to shut up as I started to sing out loud. Don't give up on these too easy and like the T50RP, I believe the pads are key to getting them to sound right.

Jun 20, 2012 at 1:58 AM Post #599 of 2,344
Since I was bored I added some quick comparisons to the HD-580, Sextett LP, SRH-840 and SRH-940.

I can't think of any headphone the DJ100 sounds like. It's a mix of several different headphones.

Maybe take the addicting mids of the Sextett and give it the frequency graph of the HD-580, but add better sub-bass extension. Maybe make it slightly less warm sounding (HD-580 is very slightly less warm than the HD-600 IMO).

Note: HD-580 doesn't sound like the HD-600 to me, but it's close. People who've only heard the HD-600 will think i'm nuts! HD-580 is much more fun and engaging than the HD-600. I like it a lot!

Somehow I imagine whoever designed the DJ100 must have been a fan of the HD-580, SR-225i and Sextett
normal_smile%20.gif

Jun 20, 2012 at 4:18 AM Post #600 of 2,344
I have the Creative Zen V Plus and was wondering if this could drive these headphones without an amp.  If not, then I'm considering buying this combo.

Koss Pro DJ100
Sansa Clip Zip
2x M50 Pads
FiiO E6 (any experience with this and the Clip Zip/Clip+ ?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back