Koss Pro DJ 100 - The Budget King
Jun 11, 2012 at 10:55 PM Post #571 of 2,344
OK my pair finally showed up today and I had a chance to play with the SRH pads I had available. Unfortunately they all change the sound a bit to much. The 940 has the list affect to the sound but still reduces the bass but at least it doesn't spike the treble to much. The 1840 pads really cause the treble to peak alot more while also reducing the bass. I will likely going with the M50 pads for comfort.

Jun 12, 2012 at 2:58 PM Post #572 of 2,344
Quote:
OK my pair finally showed up today and I had a chance to play with the SRH pads I had available. Unfortunately they all change the sound a bit to much. The 940 has the list affect to the sound but still reduces the bass but at least it doesn't spike the treble to much. The 1840 pads really cause the treble to peak alot more while also reducing the bass. I will likely going with the M50 pads for comfort.

Dear Dweaver, after burn-in, can you please compare the DJ100's sound signature to the Vsonic GR-07's from your memory (I think you don't own GR-07 anymore)?

Jun 12, 2012 at 10:19 PM Post #573 of 2,344
Back on topic, I will give some impressions in a couple days and from memory give my thoughts on the PRODJ100 as compared to the GR07. I can say already they are not the same sonically but do have some things in common.

Jun 13, 2012 at 12:05 AM Post #574 of 2,344
Mine arrived today. 

My first impressions are rather good. Firstly, who said these don't have bass? There's more sub bass rumble in these things than the likes of SHR750DJ. I know that much for a start, all these comments and reviews I'd read about them being very bass light is not the case for me.  These pump out a very fair amount of sub bass, even unamped. this is coming from someone that's owned Atrio M5 and Hippo VB.

So far, I've found using an E11 on high power / low gain / EQ 1-2  / L9 LOD with rockboxed ipod mini, this so far suits them well I can however feel they want more power still.... I also had very pleasant results straight from my Cowon S9. I need more time with them, for the money I'm already stocked at this purchase...

Jun 13, 2012 at 2:45 AM Post #576 of 2,344
Quote:
Mine arrived today. 

My first impressions are rather good. Firstly, who said these don't have bass? There's more sub bass rumble in these things than the likes of SHR750DJ. I know that much for a start, all these comments and reviews I'd read about them being very bass light is not the case for me.  These pump out a very fair amount of sub bass, even unamped. this is coming from someone that's owned Atrio M5 and Hippo VB.

So far, I've found using an E11 on high power / low gain / EQ 1-2  / L9 LOD with rockboxed ipod mini, this so far suits them well I can however feel they want more power still.... I also had very pleasant results straight from my Cowon S9. I need more time with them, for the money I'm already stocked at this purchase...

If you get a chance try using a 3.55mm cable from your Ipod Mini straight to your E11. I use my Sansa Fuze without LOD cable and it sounds better with the headphone out. It could be that A) The headphone out just sounds better to me or B) The DJ100 likes the extra power from the internal amp of the fuze. Generally they always say not using a LOD is a big no-no, but with the DJ100 it sounds best when I DON'T use one.

Maybe others can eventually test this out some more.

It seems like when I use the headphone out the mids are much fuller sounding and the signature is even more smooth. It's a bit weird.

I always felt they had very good sub-bass, but no massive mid-bass hump. I hate mid-bass humps that stick out too much. Kind of annoying. It's very accurate bass though and pretty accurate to each recording. It's funny to think it's my most bassy headphone. My HD-580 does have more mid-bass though. Well, I guess my K240 Studio does also..

BTW for the person asking about the E6 from an Ipod Touch 4G. Haven't tried the 4G version or the E5, but the E5 + Ipod Touch 2G is a near perfect match. Once again the DJ100 sounds best even with the Ipod Touch when NOT using the LOD. Don't ask me why!

My favorite portable source for the DJ100 is the Ipod Classic 3G. This thing is so old that it's only 15GB and monochrome. Sounds better than my 2G Touch and both are supposed to have a Wolfson DAC.

I want to find a good portable CD player than can drive the DJ100 very well. I think someone around here had an old Sony that did quite well. My Panasonic from 2002 doesn't seem to do a very good job..still sounds OK though.

Jun 13, 2012 at 3:12 AM Post #577 of 2,344
Thanks for the pointers. I'm using them from my laptop with USB sound blaster card atm / VLC media player, these things are performing pretty damn well! I feel they will suit an E10  because this soundcard behaves very similar, in how clean it sounds, but without separation or soundstage E10 has. (I just sold mine).

I cannot help feel the E11 makes my headphones sound a little dark after trying several sources, I lose some clarity and cleanness in the mids and highs. this was very obvious when I used the E10 line out to feed it testing them both quickly in between, finding E10 a much cleaner, brighter amp in comparison. Bass boosting is E11's best feature I feel., but from this laptop now the DJ100 are soaking it up greatly and I'm considering purchasing another E10.

I'll try the headphone out of the ipod soon, but right now I'm pretty happy with them like this. 

If you don't mind explaining again, what will I expect from using the M50 pads? I'm thinking about buying some. 

Jun 13, 2012 at 3:16 AM Post #578 of 2,344
PM me if anyone wants to buy M50 pads that I used for only a week in pristine condition. I decided to go with the Pearstone itchy velour pads.

Jun 13, 2012 at 8:03 AM Post #579 of 2,344
My addiction for this headphone is growing strongly. I have spent the last three hours with them glued to my head, they have a sound that I really enjoy. From my understanding mine had 30 hours burn in on them, and everything is really clear. No spikey treble or harshness it's all presenting really well. About two hours into my listening session I repurchased an E10 because I feel these deserve that little extra, my only nother concern was storing them because I really want to protect these from dust and knocks. Then I came across this mega cool cheap storage case on ebay for only $7.50! Now that little problem is also solved.

I'm really enjoying these as they are, I tried some Sony MDRV700 ear pads which fit by the way, but it really messed up the sound and everything become far to bright, plus those pads are hard, they hurt my ears. Two seconds after changing back wholah, awesomeness back again. It has been a very enjoyable afternoon.

Jun 13, 2012 at 10:37 AM Post #580 of 2,344
Quote:
If you don't mind explaining again, what will I expect from using the M50 pads? I'm thinking about buying some. 

Better comfort, impression of a larger soundstage and a little more treble (but not much). Everything is a little more balanced sounding IMO. Maybe like 1% less forward mids since your ears are going to be a little further from the driver.
They seem like a perfect match for the DJ100 despite them being oval and not round. If you find the stock pads comfortable maybe they won't be worth the $20.

I felt the improvements were worth it. Oh yeah..there might be a little more bass, but I haven't confirmed this.

Jun 14, 2012 at 3:33 AM Post #583 of 2,344
Quote:
Wow, didn't understand why both Tony Bennet and DJ100 has different FR, aren't they supposed to be the same headphone?

You don't say, eh? This is something Headroom measurements puzzle me about. Try comparing the Koss Porta Pro, Sporta Pro, and the KSC 75.
Word (at head-fi) is that the Sportas have more bass, and the KSC 75s more treble than the Porta Pros. Headroom measurements show different results; the Sporta Pros have less bass, and the different in treble is minor on the KSC 75s... compared to the Porta Pros.

My humble guess is that they only measure their headphones in one position, glossing over the variability in sound caused by positional changes. The Tony Bennett headphones are said to be fairly position-dependent, and the on ears are, well, on ears. This may explain the differences in the FR curve(s), but I could be wrong. I really doubt that Headroom would gloss over such important details.

Might want to check this Innerfidelity article out:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/koss-tony-bennett-special-edition-tbse1-headphone

Jun 14, 2012 at 12:06 PM Post #584 of 2,344
Quote:
Wow, didn't understand why both Tony Bennet and DJ100 has different FR, aren't they supposed to be the same headphone?

I have both and they use the same driver AFAIK. Look identical to me. Same configuration inside the cups except in the way the holes are drilled in the back of them.
The ones on the TB go straight to the metal and on the DJ100 they don't.

To my ears they sound the same basically. And this is coming from someone who thinks the Q701 is much different than the K702.

Most likely the differences are just some weird variation due to seal. I think in Tyll's review he said he had problems getting a good seal.

Maybe someday someone can take a frequency graph with M50 pads.

Not sure why they have such a huge dip at 8k(?). The graphs of these headphones are always weird. They sound like they have slightly forward upper mids to me, but don't seem to show up in graphs.

normal_smile%20.gif
(sorry, bored again)

Jun 15, 2012 at 5:07 AM Post #585 of 2,344
My Fiio E10 arrived today.

For the two minutes I listened before finding out I'd received a faulty E10 with a dodgey volume pot DJ100 sounded  great. As I predicted they suit the brighter sounding  E10 much more to my tastes over E11, they seem to agree with a cable powered amp rather than a battery. They seemed to really appraciate the dedicated power source. I was just getting into it before I realized the E10 was a dud and is now being replaced. All in all those two minutes we spend together were very inviting and I must say a tease. Using the bass boost switch they really started pumping. The bass firmed right up feeling solid, there was some pretty decent ear massaging going on while the cans were shaking. They handled full volume without any distortion (yes it was loud)

Looking forward to my replacement E10! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back