Koss Pro DJ 100 - The Budget King
May 13, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #451 of 2,344
Quote:
Hrm I'm getting the E7 so I hope it's good enough. I only use my SGSII for it, and my Xonar DG... The E7 would probably be enough right? I hope so.

Should be more than enough I think. There is also the E11 (or E5) if you don't need the DAC/
With the E7 on your PC of course you would completely bypass your soundcard since it has a built in amp and DAC.

May 13, 2012 at 8:27 PM Post #455 of 2,344
Quote:

Should be more than enough I think. There is also the E11 (or E5) if you don't need the DAC/
With the E7 on your PC of course you would completely bypass your soundcard since it has a built in amp and DAC.

Lol haha thanks for pointing that out, I just did a facepalm. But I originally wanted the e17 for portability and since the e7 is available and I'm getting it pretty cheap, then I'll just get that. Will post impressions when I get them :) thanks for the input.

May 13, 2012 at 9:40 PM Post #456 of 2,344
Hmm, I've been having these for a week now. I've bought DJ100 + E7 as recommended and I'm really happy with them, though it did take around 3-4 days for them to burn in as I wasn't happy at all with the sound quality at first (but as I expected the burn in did help).. But now.. I just can't wait to go back home from uni in summer to test them against Senns HD 598. Also waiting for M50 pads to see what's so different about em. :rolleyes:

Thanks for this thread tdockweiler, helped me to decide on what to buy! First I was thinking about ATH M50s, but the price of £130 wasn't in my range and I knew I needed an amp, because my laptop's sound card is pretty useless as well as I am using these headphones with my phone which would appreciate an amp. Then this little set is around £100 so I thought why not and I'm really happy with my purchase. So far I've rediscovered most of my tracks in a whole different way and before buying these I had Senns HD 485. I could say that they're as much comfortable as HD 485s are which were super comfy on me. Can't really compare them as they're totally different, but to my taste DJ 100s are just what I needed.

One more thing is that I can't understand how can anyone complain about bass on these.. It's awesome!

May 13, 2012 at 10:24 PM Post #457 of 2,344
Quote:
Hmm, I've been having these for a week now. I've bought DJ100 + E7 as recommended and I'm really happy with them, though it did take around 3-4 days for them to burn in as I wasn't happy at all with the sound quality at first (but as I expected the burn in did help)..
One more thing is that I can't understand how can anyone complain about bass on these.. It's awesome!

Yes they do take a bit longer to burn in then i expected. After taking a break from them for a week to use my Koss Pro 4AAT i came back to them last week. The previous burn in and perhaps rest period has made them even more detailed then my treble favorite Koss Pro 4AA.

I cant believe how crystal clear sparkling the treble has become while having plenty of impactful balanced bass when it comes to things like shotgun blasts and grenade explosions in shoot em ups. Running around in ankle deep water in SKYRIM and THE HAUNTED HELLS REACH is like actually being there the sound is so realistic. Am still picking up more improvements in sound every day i use them. Wind effects in SKYRIM can be pretty unnerving as it will get a sharp (non-annoying) quality almost making me feel the sudden uptick in wind speed and its bone chilling cold across my characters exposed skin.  

They are definitely my Koss favorite now. Dont know if i'll be able to give them up for another week to give my KRK KNS 8400 some play time as i do my weekly headphone rotation. Will be interesting to see what they sound like with DIABLO III when it comes out tuesday.

They also sound great with prog rock with groups like CATHEDRAL which strangely seems to improve the sound of the Koss Pro DJ 100 every time i listen to the group for an hour or more. Might be the style of music loosening things up quicker then the other stuff am listening to.

May 13, 2012 at 11:29 PM Post #458 of 2,344
Quote:
tdockweiler:

I do not know if you will like this track.

It is Sakura in vocal-orchestral form conducted by a Japanse conductor (Eiji Oue) with the Minnesota Orchestra.  The track was produced by Reference Recordings in an album called "The RR Sound".  I do not know if this album is still in circulation but here I upload the track in Apple Lossless format.  Amazing. 

"https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B5hCop7mAb9QdGxvbmxTX05JQ3M"

Once you listen to it, I will delete this track.

Thanks for the link loubapache. Thats an incredible version of Trois Gymnopedie 1. I've never heard it played anything like that before. Would sound great in some forest scene deep in the woods in a movie about Napoleon or vampires for the more goth oriented. My favorite version is the one by Gary Numan he did way back in the 1980s-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Baz3rWsjE0o

Thanks for the courteous reply and Mr loubapache and sorry for taking so long to reply.

Oops just noticed i quoted the wrong reply. Ye gads wheres my mental wiring today.

May 14, 2012 at 6:22 AM Post #461 of 2,344
Yes they do take a bit longer to burn in then i expected. After taking a break from them for a week to use my Koss Pro 4AAT i came back to them last week. The previous burn in and perhaps rest period has made them even more detailed then my treble favorite Koss Pro 4AA.

I cant believe how crystal clear sparkling the treble has become while having plenty of impactful balanced bass when it comes to things like shotgun blasts and grenade explosions in shoot em ups. Running around in ankle deep water in SKYRIM and THE HAUNTED HELLS REACH is like actually being there the sound is so realistic. Am still picking up more improvements in sound every day i use them. Wind effects in SKYRIM can be pretty unnerving as it will get a sharp (non-annoying) quality almost making me feel the sudden uptick in wind speed and its bone chilling cold across my characters exposed skin.  

They are definitely my Koss favorite now. Dont know if i'll be able to give them up for another week to give my KRK KNS 8400 some play time as i do my weekly headphone rotation. Will be interesting to see what they sound like with DIABLO III when it comes out tuesday.

They also sound great with prog rock with groups like CATHEDRAL which strangely seems to improve the sound of the Koss Pro DJ 100 every time i listen to the group for an hour or more. Might be the style of music loosening things up quicker then the other stuff am listening to.

Yea, improvement on daily basis, that's how it feels. It's as if the headphones themselves adjust to the sound type you're listening to or might be my imagination. Still, I love them.

May 14, 2012 at 9:30 AM Post #462 of 2,344
It's interesting that some recent pairs need burn-in. My last pair didn't at all, but my previous versions did.
I think based on memory, some of the pairs I had were a bit muffled out of the box. The common symptom of no burn on the DJ100 in is this weird lack of treble and a muffled sound. Crystal clear when burned in and it has the proper source and amp.
People say this stuff about no headphone can sound bad out of the box and great after burn-in, but most likely they've never experienced one of those headphones with the titanium driver or one that actually sounded bad!
Even the Koss Pro4AA series is known for needing lots of burn-in too i've heard.

I posted this in my review, but I once had a DJ100 that needed 3-5 days of burn-in to sound identical to my first. I had both of them side by side. This was actually only 5 nights of music/pink noise shoved in a drawer for 8 hours.
I guess that's a total of only 40 hours! I've never had a pair that needed more than that. I usually use really obnoxious music with the volume cranked up past regular listening volume. Not too high though.

I've had one pair that actually made me think it was defective. I even complained about it in some of my posts. I always suggest that if a pair is ever muffled or not clear to burn them in. Even for those that don't believe in burn in it's best to give them a week before judging them.

My Tony Bennett pair sounded perfect out of the box and I imagine most every DJ100/TB might sound fine out of the box, but who knows.

BTW does anyone else find the sound quality out of the Sansa Fuze LOD not as good as the headphone out? I did more A/B tests on this and the headphone jack is still clearly better sounding to me. I don't know if it's just that the DJ100 likes the extra power from the amp (since the DAC bypasses it) or what.

Sansa Clip and Fuze with headphone out to amp sound pretty similar in sound IMO. If I use the LOD cable on the Fuze, the mids are a little thinner. Very strange.

Also..did you know that external Ipod docks (the small white ones) have a DAC in them? I wonder why? I wonder what the point of having a DAC inside the dock is.

For those that have an iphone or Ipod Touch, try the DJ100 with the E5/E6 without a LOD cable. The sound is pretty impressive. The mids on the E5 are a little more forward sounding than with the E11. The E11 has a little better sub-bass it seems like.

Right now my setup is the Sansa Fuze to the E11 or Total Airhead using the headphone out. Airhead is way better than the E11, but I think the E11 has a larger soundstage. One of these days I might upgrade my Airhead to the DAC version (Total Bithead).

May 14, 2012 at 10:11 AM Post #463 of 2,344
got my m50 pad for dj100 today,
yes much more comfortable ^^

but the sound still sounds unclear to me =/

the vocal is ok, but everything else doesnt got the smooth sounding to the vocal

it feels like iam listening to 128 kbps mp3 files with flac files =/

is it just all my music file is crappy or is it my fiio e10 ?

May 14, 2012 at 10:24 AM Post #464 of 2,344
Quote:

the vocal is ok, but everything else doesnt got the smooth sounding to the vocal

Yeah if it's unclear it's probably an issue with the amp or source. Have you tried it with another source such as a Clip or Ipod Touch? DJ100 should be crystal clear with good music unless something is wrong.
Maybe the E10 is too dark for the DJ100, but highly unlikely. I don't think anyone else has tried it.

Maybe even try it straight out of your computer soundcard. Some soundcards aren't as bad as people say.

May 14, 2012 at 10:24 AM Post #465 of 2,344

Try playing with EQ or using different music players, I'm using AIMP. Anyways, there are some tracks with these headphones that are a bit unclear to me which sound better on my Senns HD 485, but to be honest that might be because Senns feel so airy compared to DJ 100s (open/closed headphones can't be much compared I guess).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back