Koss Pro DJ 100 - The Budget King
May 7, 2012 at 11:09 PM Post #436 of 2,344
Quote:
I just got back from my Northeast trip... Is it bad that I keep on listening to these badboys rather than my Grado's? I'm getting the D2000's on Thursday though and I might give these cans to my boyfriend... Unless someone can convince me.

Also, I'm using them now with M50 pads over my Xonar DG sound card. I love the improvement. Bass is sufficient, the highs are more tolerable now than when I got them. God I love these cans. Now I don't know if I love my bf more to give him these.

Depends on what Grado. I prefer these to the SR-80, but DJ100 and SR-225 is a fairly even match..maybe. I really like the 225i and prefer it to even the 325is.

Why not just keep the DJ100? Once you get the D2000 you might miss the mids of the DJ100. The D2000 is a nice headphone, but not my kind of signature.

May 7, 2012 at 11:44 PM Post #437 of 2,344
The SR125i's but I'm not sure maybe it's just cuz I haven't been using it so I don't really know. Also you know, the padding really does make a lot of difference though it kinda needs getting used to. It's somehow wider in soundstage? I've used the stock pads for my entire trip and I just got them yesterday when I got back home.

I'll think about keeping them but I'd have to give him something because I feel like I've been hoarding headphones w/o giving him a gift lately. I'm quite excited with the D2000's though.

By the way, I was wondering if this is the appropriate place to ask but I just recently acquired a really old turntable and a Sansui 1000A amp for really cheap and I'm thinking of restoring it. Is there any practical advice that you can give me in terms of starting out? I don't think I'm going to start restoring for a while because I want to learn the basics first like soldering but where do I go after I've learned how to solder?

May 8, 2012 at 3:31 AM Post #438 of 2,344
Quote:
I just got back from my Northeast trip... Is it bad that I keep on listening to these badboys rather than my Grado's? I'm getting the D2000's on Thursday though and I might give these cans to my boyfriend... Unless someone can convince me.

Also, I'm using them now with M50 pads over my Xonar DG sound card. I love the improvement. Bass is sufficient, the highs are more tolerable now than when I got them. God I love these cans. Now I don't know if I love my bf more to give him these.

They're now only $48.89 shipped through Amazon.  You can buy a second pair later.

May 9, 2012 at 6:27 PM Post #439 of 2,344
Hello, I have had my headphones for about a week now and I am loving them. They have excellent mids, I love to listen to house music with these. I also found that in some of The Notorious BIG songs, his voice came off a lot more smooth with these phones than my IEMs (Soundmagic PL21, if you are wondering what IEMs I am comparing them to). The E5 with the LOD cable is working fine for me. Sounds better than straight out of the iPhone or my iPad at least. I haven't done much testing with the 3.5mm cable, but I don't have very trained ears, so the difference might not have been too noticeable for me. I will probably do more testing with it soon. I also recently ordered some M50 pads, are they worth the $20? It's just that I am 15 and that leaves me with about $10 in my bank account, haha. I need to know whether I should cancel my order or just get them. I could always try them out and try returning them if I don't like them. Just want some opinions. I tried stuffing the pads with tissues, but that put some pressure on my right temple and without them I have troubles getting an even fit on my ears, always feels like one side is leaning. If you have opinions or advice on this please share.

May 9, 2012 at 6:43 PM Post #440 of 2,344
Quote:
Hello, I have had my headphones for about a week now and I am loving them. They have excellent mids, I love to listen to house music with these. I also found that in some of The Notorious BIG songs, his voice came off a lot more smooth with these phones than my IEMs (Soundmagic PL21, if you are wondering what IEMs I am comparing them to). The E5 with the LOD cable is working fine for me. Sounds better than straight out of the iPhone or my iPad at least. I haven't done much testing with the 3.5mm cable, but I don't have very trained ears, so the difference might not have been too noticeable for me. I will probably do more testing with it soon. I also recently ordered some M50 pads, are they worth the $20? It's just that I am 15 and that leaves me with about $10 in my bank account, haha. I need to know whether I should cancel my order or just get them. I could always try them out and try returning them if I don't like them. Just want some opinions. I tried stuffing the pads with tissues, but that put some pressure on my right temple and without them I have troubles getting an even fit on my ears, always feels like one side is leaning. If you have opinions or advice on this please share.

It might bring your account down, but YES. I would say this improved the sound of these more than a recable, or anything else for that matter.

May 9, 2012 at 6:55 PM Post #441 of 2,344
Quote:

Work with the fit a bit on the tissues/napkins/whatever filling. I personally rolled them up and then cut them when they were the same length as the inside of the pad. This let them be consistent on both sides and even.

May 9, 2012 at 6:57 PM Post #442 of 2,344
Quote:

It might bring your account down, but YES. I would say this improved the sound of these more than a recable, or anything else for that matter.

I'd say they're worth every penny. Even for just the extra comfort. The impression of a larger soundstage is just a nice bonus. I'd say the sound is more balanced sounding with them. More balanced, but still have those forward mids.

Even if you think you don't have trained ears, still try the 3.55mm cable to E5 if you can. Of course if you don't have one around, don't bother. 

I think recabling my DJ100 was a waste of time. A cable that's too thick can actually hurt the sound believe it or not. It seems like you got all this extra resonance in the cup. I'm not kidding! I don't know why or how this is possible.

I use the Tony Bennett version now (just for removable cable) and plan on drilling a hole into my DJ100 to make it open. Similar to that recent D2000 open mod.

I've done it before by installing the DJ100 driver in an HD-497 shell, but it was often too treble happy. The reason is due to the pad design.

Maybe Koss will try to figure out how to make an open DJ100 but with another name for it. Maybe the Pro4AAAAAAAAAAT

May 9, 2012 at 7:07 PM Post #443 of 2,344
Quote:

I do have some money outside of my account, so I can still get food with friends and stuff, so I will get the M50 pads. I actually am going to be taking a small electronics class where I learn to solder, so I was thinking about doing a recabling some day. Not a top priority however.
Quote:

I'd say they're worth every penny. Even for just the extra comfort. The impression of a larger soundstage is just a nice bonus. I'd say the sound is more balanced sounding with them. More balanced, but still have those forward mids.

Even if you think you don't have trained ears, still try the 3.55mm cable to E5 if you can. Of course if you don't have one around, don't bother.

The larger soundstage sounds nice. I really enjoy the mids, so keeping those is a plus for me. It takes me about 10 minutes to get the headphones on my head right with these pads (though I had those problems with a pair of headphones I had last year, but I just think those were too big for my head in general).

I have one lying around, so I'll play around with it. Thank you

May 9, 2012 at 7:21 PM Post #444 of 2,344
I went to RC Willey they other day, and they had six headphones on display. I believe most were new versions of Monster headphones, because I didn't recognize any of them. But then, I saw the Tony Bennett version of the DJ100 (whatever it's called).

Strange. Very out of place if you ask me!
rolleyes.gif

EDIT: And in other news. The DJ100 is $50 on Amazon. Not sure if that was already discussed or not.

May 9, 2012 at 7:36 PM Post #445 of 2,344
Quote:
I went to RC Willey they other day, and they had six headphones on display. I believe most were new versions of Monster headphones, because I didn't recognize any of them. But then, I saw the Tony Bennett version of the DJ100 (whatever it's called).

Strange. Very out of place if you ask me!
rolleyes.gif

EDIT: And in other news. The DJ100 is $50 on Amazon. Not sure if that was already discussed or not.

The only store that has the DJ100 here is Best Buy and the location that has them is an hour away. I remember when I had the UR-55 I drove all that way to pick up the DJ100. It's a weird coincidence that the headphone turned out to be my favorites of all time.

I've yet to even hear a Monster headphone. They can't possibly sound as bad as people say. I haven't even forced myself to try out the demos at Best Buy yet. I imagine the Tony Bennett sounds better than the Beats, but then again some people buy headphones just for massive amounts of bass. Nothing wrong with that.

The most bizarre thing ever for me is when people say the DJ100 lacks bass. Maybe they're coming from something bass heavy. That's my only idea.

IMO the Tony Bennett headphone is the best headphone deal there is. $75 for what you get is a steal. I still haven't downloaded the free album. I bet it sounds good with the TB. Don't even know when or if the code expires.

One of these days i'm going to buy those expensive HDJ-2000 leather pads and see if they fit and sound good. They're $40 though, but i've heard the HDJ-2000 is a very comfortable headphone.

May 13, 2012 at 12:02 AM Post #446 of 2,344
Is it true that the DJ100 is best with an amp? If it's straight out of a player it's not that good?

May 13, 2012 at 1:02 AM Post #447 of 2,344
Definitely best with an amp. I think it should OK with most portable devices, but not on all of them.
The Ipod Touch and Sansa Clip are pretty good with the DJ100. Despite it's size, the Clip can drive some fairly power hungry headphones quite well!

The DJ100 sound is much smoother and it has better controlled bass with an amp. With the Fiio E11 even the soundstage gets larger.
If any frequency sticks out too much and annoys you, it can be due to lack of amping..sometimes. This is what i've experienced sometimes.

I think the only source it sounds bad with is my portable CD player and Cowon iaudio 7. Not sure why.

For amps, even an E5 will help. I'm currently using mine with the E11 with a Sansa Fuze and headphone jack (don't like how the LOD sounds).
My favorite portable amp is the Total Airhead for them, but it costs a lot more than the E11, but can even drive my Q701 and HD-600 fairly well.

Can't say the same about the E11 when using a LOD.

BTW I kind of think the DJ100 sounds a little like the Sextett LP
confused_face_2.gif
DJ100 does a few things better though. Treble on both is very smooth, but DJ100 might have a bit more. Upper mids on my Sextett actually seem more forward, but it has a Mogami cable. DJ100 has much better sub-bass for sure, but maybe less mid-bass. Both have similar addicting mids. DJ100 seems a little clearer though.

And with a good DAC like the HRT MSII there's even more improvements...yeah really. I was basically thinking there was no way to improve the DJ100 any more until I tried it with my HRT. Getting a $150 DAC for a $60 headphone is a bit overkill, but not to me! At least not for the DJ100.

Quote:
Is it true that the DJ100 is best with an amp? If it's straight out of a player it's not that good?

May 13, 2012 at 1:41 AM Post #448 of 2,344
Agreed with the above. Even the E5 adds more than the straight headphone jack. I'll upgrade to an E11 one day, or an E7 if I can find a good priced one in the FS section. For right now, I need to get a used iPod classic with a ton of space, 8GB just ain't doing it for me. Also, I am getting some interference with my phone and the amp or something, but when it's in airplane mode, this does not occur. So having something that won't mess up the amp will be great.

I recieved my M50 pads today, loving them way more than the stock. I can wear them longer and most things sound better. I have noticed that I get screeching from guitars and other parts of the mids of that nature, but I think that is just the nature of the recording or mp3. I don't experience this with all tracks.

Main difference I noticed between the LOD and 3.5mm cable: More precise bass with the 3.5mm. Sounded much more crisp than with the LOD.  Now my more preferred method. I may do some more testing with both.

May 13, 2012 at 2:39 AM Post #449 of 2,344
I am so glad to have found this discussion. I love my Tony Bennets. I bought them on EBay a few weeks ago for $40 (lucky)  plus shipping. They are truly amazing. I use a Bravo Audio Ocean tube amp and love the warmth of the sound and the separation. I also have a PA2V2, an early one #1077. The sound stage is a little tighter with the PA2V2 and the sound is more up front in your head that with the Bravo Ocean, if this makes any sense.   I just re-entered the world of headphones after a six to seven year absence. I had plans to buy more expensive headphones but I may be spoiled. I too share the enthusiasm for these.  I have lost much sleep since they arrived, staying up late and listening. I guess I will eventually try the M50 earpads. I am also interested in any cable upgrade recommendations. I am also considering Fiio E9/E17 and maybe Schiit, since it is coming to Canada shortly.

May 13, 2012 at 4:06 PM Post #450 of 2,344
Hrm I'm getting the E7 so I hope it's good enough. I only use my SGSII for it, and my Xonar DG... The E7 would probably be enough right? I hope so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back