Koss Pro DJ 100 - The Budget King
Jun 18, 2014 at 5:15 AM Post #2,221 of 2,344
I know there was a post about "converting" these to get rid of the coiled wire.
My pair has developed a bad weiring issue on the plug end. I expect it's due to cable weight and from being plugged in, which is a bad habit on my end... Anyway, replacing the cable with a jack should be pretty straight through, but i was hoping to not have to explore any difficulties on my own, but rather draw on past experiences made...

But i cant find any? I KNOW i've seen some... Anyone has a quick and dirty link?
B!

Jun 18, 2014 at 12:34 PM Post #2,222 of 2,344
Hi Everyone!  Thank you for this amazing thread.  I was at the Koss factory outlet store last month getting warranty replacements for my SportaPro's and PortaPro's when I stumbled upon these Pro DJ headphones and picked up a pair.  I thought I had gotten an amazing deal and now that I look online, I see that I paid the going rate - regardless I like mine a great deal.  

Now for the weird part - I think I got some sort of FrankenPhones as mine have a hard wired cord and they are labeled PRODJ200.  Prior to me buying these and then researching them, I knew nothing about them.  It would appear that Koss cobbled together some spare parts to create a few pair like the ones that I have.  I believe the guy at Koss said they were 100's, yet mine say otherwise.  

In reading this thread, I'd really prefer the TBSE or actual 200's so for the removable cord (which I'd upgrade - I'm a cable kinda guy with my big stereo) and the carrying/storage case.  As such, I'm on the hunt for a great bargain.  I see that I can get either the TBSE or 200's on Amazon for just under $70, but I'm holding out for under $50.  Has anyone bought them super cheap lately?  I say people talk about Tuesday Morning have the TBSE's but I have not yet looked at my local store.

Jun 18, 2014 at 4:18 PM Post #2,224 of 2,344
  The TBSE where recently discontinued, so I am not sure if the warranty will apply. I am thinking about the 200s.

Warranty does apply. I asked them this question personally. 

Jun 20, 2014 at 11:56 AM Post #2,227 of 2,344
Jun 20, 2014 at 3:01 PM Post #2,229 of 2,344
Jun 20, 2014 at 4:25 PM Post #2,231 of 2,344

M50 pads might help. I don't have them because i don't use my TBSE's too much. I wish Koss would have better stock pads.

Thanks for the suggestion. Any other earpads than can work without affecting quality?

Not sure. Maybe someone else will comment with details.

Jun 20, 2014 at 8:51 PM Post #2,232 of 2,344
Any other earpads than can work without affecting quality?

Any change will change how a headphone sounds.

tdock has some thoughts about different pads in his first post of the thread. I have a pair of SRH1540 pads on mine right now; I posted some thoughts about them a page or two back and those have not changed in the past week with them. Beyerdynamic makes velour pads that fit Sony MDR-7000 series (oval V6 style) but I think the bass is too exaggerated with these. I never tried the stock Sony 7605 pads; I gave up after a few minutes failing to get them attached.

What matters at the end is whether or not you like a change vis-a-vis price and other changes like fit and isolation and comfort. We can tell you what we've tried and what we like and don't like but only you can decide what you prefer.

Jun 20, 2014 at 10:31 PM Post #2,233 of 2,344
  Hey guys, anyone with large ears find these uncomfortable and do they fit as over or on?

I found them VERY uncomfortable, even painful after half an hour / hour of use. M50 pads solved it. Stock pads are "On ear" where as M50 are "over ear" for me.

Quote:
  Thanks for the suggestion. Any other earpads than can work without affecting quality?

As far as i can tell from this thread, the M50 pads are easily the best pads for this headphone. I'm very pleased with my set. I have to admit to not having tested anything but the stock, and M50 pads.
B!

Jun 23, 2014 at 4:55 PM Post #2,235 of 2,344
Hi! Long time lurker, first time poster!

I recently got the ProDJ200s and I must say that I really like them! Full disclosure, I haven't heard many headphones in the $50+ range. My previous headphones were the Koss UR55 (which was my gateway headphone), JVC HA-M55X (which I use when I want my head kicked in by bass) and Sennheiser PX360 (which I only picked up because they were 80% off on clearance and I wanted to hear a midrange Senn).

So I realize that this could sound like someone who never tasted sugar before raving about how great necco wafers taste, but here are my impressions with the sound of this headphone. First off, I was not initially impressed when I plugged them into my Galaxy S3 mini. I was kinda surprised, not because I didn't know about the effect of amps/DACs or concepts such as burn in but rather I was expecting it to be easily driven due to the impedence/sensitivity specifications. One thing that was severely lacking on this initial test was bass, as the first song I pulled up was the bass heavy "Bangarang" by Skrillex. Disappointed yet hopeful, I plugged these cans into my Alienware laptop. The results were much better this time around. Though most of the sound was forward with some rather rough edges, the clarity and detail were bar none in my limited experience. While my UR55s introduced me to the details so often overlooked by inferior headphones, these gave those small details amazing clarity and texture. You could clearly tell that what used to be a squeak was now a fretboard slide. or that that guitar medley was clearly recorded by an acoustic rather than a acoustic/electric hybrid through an amp. Percussion now had an impact, feeling as if the drumsticks were banging against your eardrums.

Bass, which had been a weak point before, was now a strength. Controlled and tight, with very high velocity, it too had a great impactful feeling to it. Even though out of all my phones these had the least bass quantity, they have the absolute best bass quality and are by no means lacking. On my first day there was just a slight amount of bass bleed leaking into the mids and treble but it made those parts of the spectrum feel warm and pleasing to the ear. All in all these cans were pleasing to listen to and quite neutral sounding with a slight emphasis on the mids (though this could just be a bit of a shock to hear such balanced mids after listening to cans with more of a U or V shaped sound signature).

After burn in the roughness is now gone and it feels less warm but, as a result, more detailed. Though I don't have a trained ear by any means, I can tell a difference between my low bitrate MP3s and lossless audio with these headphones, as well as which of my CDs were not recorded well. Though it could be differences in recording quality compared to other genres, I find there are 2 genres that don't seem to get espoused upon when talking about this line of headphones that sound really good. The first is smooth jazz/R&B where groups like Sade and Simply Red really seem to shine with a great emphasis on vocals and instruments and a smooth, impactful bass line keeping the rhythm. The other genre is country, which I must admit isn't exactly one of my favorite genres but having tried listening to it on a whim with these cans, it sounds really good.

I found that Metal, a genre most reviewers of these fine headphones generally tell people to shy away from, isn't really all that bad. The bass quality is great for blastbeats and the clarity makes the vocals of subgenres such as death metal much easier to distinguish. Though the forwardness of the mids may make listening to the shrieking vocals of subgenres such as black metal a bit fatiguing. 

As far as soundstage goes, I can't really comment. Without hearing different headphones and having experts tell me which ones have better/worse soundstage than others, I can't really determine what sonic quality to be listening for though suffice to say I find that with higher quality recordings it's easier to feel immersed in the music and sounds as if different instruments are coming from all over the place.

So even though the sound quality doesn't really have much of a "WOW" factor, its a quality that you grow to appreciate over time. Based on the rather neutral sound of these cans as well as the monster detail and clarity, I would hazard a guess that these are the closest to audiophile quality that I own. I'm currently in the process of getting a portable amp, or an amp/DAC combo to see if I can really make these babys shine. If anyone can recommend an affordable (<$150) amp or DAC that would really bring out the best in these headphones, it would be appreciated.

As far as construction goes these seem fairly sturdy and are quite comfortable (though I probably have a smaller head/ears than their target demographic). The stock earpads are comfortable to me and provide a great seal so I don't foresee doing the M50 mod just yet.

So yeah, sorry for rambling and sorry if I'm raving about these in the manner of an ignorant person who has never experienced anything better. I just really like them even with my severely limited experience..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back