Koss Pro DJ 100 - The Budget King
Oct 24, 2014 at 11:29 PM Post #2,253 of 2,344
  I got these and some Superlux HD668B's and honestly the HD668B's sounded better IMO. 

I've had those too once. The hard part is finding them at a good price without paying too much on shipping.
The HD-668B's I had were more V-shaped and focused less on the mid-range. I bet the DJ100 has flatter and more extended low bass though. The HD-668B seemed to have more treble and be a little thinner/tinny sounding.

It all depends on preference though. HD-668B is pretty good though if you like it's signature. It's one headphone that didn't match my preferences but I still suggest it sometimes.

It also works with Beyerdynamic DDT-880 pads and those of the K240 Studio (velours too).

Oct 25, 2014 at 3:12 AM Post #2,254 of 2,344

I've had those too once. The hard part is finding them at a good price without paying too much on shipping.
The HD-668B's I had were more V-shaped and focused less on the mid-range. I bet the DJ100 has flatter and more extended low bass though. The HD-668B seemed to have more treble and be a little thinner/tinny sounding.

It all depends on preference though. HD-668B is pretty good though if you like it's signature. It's one headphone that didn't match my preferences but I still suggest it sometimes.

It also works with Beyerdynamic DDT-880 pads and those of the K240 Studio (velours too).

The Hd-668B are $25 lower on Amazon with free shipping. 

The ProDJ's sound very bass heavy to me. The highs are really dark and aren't very crisp to me. It seems kind of unbalanced

Nov 13, 2014 at 11:33 PM Post #2,255 of 2,344
I finally got the Auray deluxe velour pads, and noticed that the cover is slightly thicker than the stock pads. Is this the reason that the bass might sound a bit muffled? After listening to these pads for about a few days, I feel like I had to up the volume compared to stock pads to get the same experience. Below is my comparison between stock and the Auray velour pads.

Pros:
Better comfort - fuzzy is just great
Wider soundstage

Cons:
Sound leakage? Bass sounds lacking.

@tdockweiler
Do you have pictures of the Auray deluxe velour mod? I don't see any corners that you described for cutting holes into the pad. You described, top, bottom, and the two sides but where and how far away from the center?

Nov 16, 2014 at 6:24 PM Post #2,256 of 2,344
Thread still alive? I'm here because I remember tdockweiler saying the DJ100 is better than KNS 8400, so it really piques my interest now.
the DJ100 is 45€ here and the DJ200 is 67€, no TBSE because I'm too late for it. I'm more into DJ200 because of the detachable cable. Have already read the DJ200 thread, seems like it sounds almost the same as DJ100, so it should be no problem.

Now my situation is, I have a KRK KNS 8400 now, and yes it's because of reading Mr. tdockweiler's posts again 
biggrin.gif

I'm really loving my 8400, moreover after I modded it for the bass, and it's already confirmed by my friend that the bass got better.
I love hearing to details, clear female vocals, and decent amount of bass. 
So, I am sorry to ask this again, but I want an updated answer : how does the DJ100/200 compare to modded KNS 8400?
If I recall correctly, the DJ100 is picky about source/amp, 'rite? I'm using a FiiO X3, is it a good pair with this headphones?
As I said, I don't like too much bass, I listen to instrumental, jazz, piano/violin instrumental, and some J-Pops. The KRK serves actually really well IMO, especially for instrumental. However, I am now wondering how the DJ100 performs for the same genre.

I might not be able to sleep if this really is better than my KRK 
tongue.gif

Nov 17, 2014 at 7:22 PM Post #2,257 of 2,344
Thread still alive? I'm here because I remember tdockweiler saying the DJ100 is better than KNS 8400, so it really piques my interest now.

Now my situation is, I have a KRK KNS 8400 now, and yes it's because of reading Mr. tdockweiler's posts again 
biggrin.gif

I'm really loving my 8400, moreover after I modded it for the bass, and it's already confirmed by my friend that the bass got better.

So, I am sorry to ask this again, but I want an updated answer : how does the DJ100/200 compare to modded KNS 8400?

If I recall correctly, the DJ100 is picky about source/amp, 'rite? I'm using a FiiO X3, is it a good pair with this headphones?

As I said, I don't like too much bass, I listen to instrumental, jazz, piano/violin instrumental, and some J-Pops. The KRK serves actually really well IMO, especially for instrumental. However, I am now wondering how the DJ100 performs for the same genre.

tongue.gif

I can attest to the DJ100 working well with the above stated genres, although I must say that this headphone performs well in almost any other genre except for maybe heavy bassheads. No midbass-hump. The bass is clean and not overbearing, with stock pads or other pads (deluxe auray velour pads, m50 pads). I notice with these headphones, they need more power/volume/amp for more headrocking, but still fun if there is no amp nearby.

I listened to my DJ100 with the new pads for about a week now and I can say that the bass might be better than stock pads, but I'm still waiting on tdock's reply about his mods for the velour pads. I might message him later about it. Even without the mod, I can say that the bass is very pleasant.

As evidenced by tdockweiler's review, vocals are great on this headphone. Out of box, music still sounds good with stock pads. Comfort level with the stock pads really depend on how much you break in the stock pads. Listening experience is also heavily reliant on how it was produced in the studio...but anything at or above mp3 320kbps should suffice.

Almost any genre sounds great out of this headphone. Here are a few of my favorites.

Sources (flac):
Alternative - Bleachers, Blink 182, All American Rejects, Third Eye Blind
K-Pop - Koyote, Clazziquai Project
J-Pop - M-Flo, Perfume, FLOW,
J-Rock/Folk - Spitz, Bump of Chicken, SPYAIR, ASIAN KUNG-FU GENERATION
Ska - The Planet Smashers, Mighty MIghty Bosstones, Less Than Jake
Jazz - Parov Stelar
Instrumentals - Twelve Girls Band
Vocaloid - Reolch, monaca-factory, livetune, IA THE WORLD
Touhou circles- CYTOKINE, ZYTOKINE, IRON ATTACK!, ALiCE'S EMOTiON, ShibayanRecords

Equipment:
DJ100 (Auray Deluxe Velour Pads), Headroom Total Airhead, Sansa Clip Zip.

I've noticed that listening to music via tablet/smartphone may cause annoying static noise, so I don't recommend it unless you have a good cable. This could be with any headphone though.

Nov 18, 2014 at 6:39 AM Post #2,258 of 2,344

I can attest to the DJ100 working well with the above stated genres, although I must say that this headphone performs well in almost any other genre except for maybe heavy bassheads. No midbass-hump. The bass is clean and not overbearing, with stock pads or other pads (deluxe auray velour pads, m50 pads). I notice with these headphones, they need more power/volume/amp for more headrocking, but still fun if there is no amp nearby.

I listened to my DJ100 with the new pads for about a week now and I can say that the bass might be better than stock pads, but I'm still waiting on tdock's reply about his mods for the velour pads. I might message him later about it. Even without the mod, I can say that the bass is very pleasant.

As evidenced by tdockweiler's review, vocals are great on this headphone. Out of box, music still sounds good with stock pads. Comfort level with the stock pads really depend on how much you break in the stock pads. Listening experience is also heavily reliant on how it was produced in the studio...but anything at or above mp3 320kbps should suffice.

Almost any genre sounds great out of this headphone. Here are a few of my favorites.

Sources (flac):
Alternative - Bleachers, Blink 182, All American Rejects, Third Eye Blind
K-Pop - Koyote, Clazziquai Project
J-Pop - M-Flo, Perfume, FLOW,
J-Rock/Folk - Spitz, Bump of Chicken, SPYAIR, ASIAN KUNG-FU GENERATION
Ska - The Planet Smashers, Mighty MIghty Bosstones, Less Than Jake
Jazz - Parov Stelar
Instrumentals - Twelve Girls Band
Vocaloid - Reolch, monaca-factory, livetune, IA THE WORLD
Touhou circles- CYTOKINE, ZYTOKINE, IRON ATTACK!, ALiCE'S EMOTiON, ShibayanRecords

Equipment:
DJ100 (Auray Deluxe Velour Pads), Headroom Total Airhead, Sansa Clip Zip.

I've noticed that listening to music via tablet/smartphone may cause annoying static noise, so I don't recommend it unless you have a good cable. This could be with any headphone though.

Someone's alive, I'm moved into tears now

Thanks for the thoughts, M50 pads are cheap here, but I like velour pads more. Thing is, they don't have that velour pads you mentioned, which makes me need to think again if Beyer's velour pads would compatible with them or not (or maybe other german brands pads)

>I notice with these headphones, they need more power/volume/amp

I'll assume X3 alone is enough for it. Well, I'm going to buy E12 in the future, but if the headphones turns out come first then it's still no problem.

I'm also still waiting for tdock to reply here, since he's the only one I know who had modded KRK 8400, and hopefully he still has a memory of it so he could compare it again.
Sorry for asking too much, have you compared this headphones with others that you have? For reference. If possible, with HD598 since I use it often at my friend's house 
biggrin.gif

I still can wait before buying DJ200 since I need to be careful on my purchase.

Nov 18, 2014 at 12:34 PM Post #2,259 of 2,344
Someone's alive, I'm moved into tears now

Thanks for the thoughts, M50 pads are cheap here, but I like velour pads more. Thing is, they don't have that velour pads you mentioned, which makes me need to think again if Beyer's velour pads would compatible with them or not (or maybe other german brands pads)

>I notice with these headphones, they need more power/volume/amp

I'll assume X3 alone is enough for it. Well, I'm going to buy E12 in the future, but if the headphones turns out come first then it's still no problem.

I'm also still waiting for tdock to reply here, since he's the only one I know who had modded KRK 8400, and hopefully he still has a memory of it so he could compare it again.
Sorry for asking too much, have you compared this headphones with others that you have? For reference. If possible, with HD598 since I use it often at my friend's house
biggrin.gif

I still can wait before buying DJ200 since I need to be careful on my purchase.

Not sure if you live in the usa, but I got my auray deluxe velour pads from amazon for about $13.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0081SO0RM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These headphones I have and tested.
Panasonic RP-HTX7
-Punchy bass
-Fully encloses your ears without hurting them - unless you have big ears
-Reasonable length cord without being too long
-Light

Brainwavz Delta Wave IEM Earphones
-Great sound isolation - comes with pair of comply ear tips
-Sound almost as good as DJ100
-Does not need amp or volume boost
-Good for running

All of these headphones I can wear for hours without feeling uncomfortable (headband and ear pads combined).

I keep hearing about HD598 but have never tried them. I also read somewhere on the net (amazon) that DJ200 sounds superior than the DJ100 even if they might have the same hardware. I might buy the DJ200 down the road just for the detachable cables and case. I am also considering a dedicated amp and DAC (Schiit stack) to see if I can tap more potential out of these headphones.

Nov 18, 2014 at 3:41 PM Post #2,260 of 2,344

Not sure if you live in the usa, but I got my auray deluxe velour pads from amazon for about $13.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0081SO0RM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These headphones I have and tested.
Panasonic RP-HTX7
-Punchy bass
-Fully encloses your ears without hurting them - unless you have big ears
-Reasonable length cord without being too long
-Light

Brainwavz Delta Wave IEM Earphones
-Great sound isolation - comes with pair of comply ear tips
-Sound almost as good as DJ100
-Does not need amp or volume boost
-Good for running

All of these headphones I can wear for hours without feeling uncomfortable (headband and ear pads combined).

I keep hearing about HD598 but have never tried them. I also read somewhere on the net (amazon) that DJ200 sounds superior than the DJ100 even if they might have the same hardware. I might buy the DJ200 down the road just for the detachable cables and case. I am also considering a dedicated amp and DAC (Schiit stack) to see if I can tap more potential out of these headphones.

Deutschland I am.
Unfortunately, could not find the velour on local amazon, but the usual M50 pads are available.
Most velour pads here are the Beyer's and kinda expensive.

I could just get the DJ200 here, 63€ isn't really bad, but I want to make sure I won't have to return them. Though I'll probably still go wait until Cyber Monday to see what they have for deals.
One thing that's bugging me is the amping... I am still unsure how good it will be when paired with portable amp etc
I do want it for portable use to change mood once in a time. I guess we need tdock again here

Nov 18, 2014 at 11:05 PM Post #2,261 of 2,344
Sound leakage? Bass sounds lacking.

@tdockweiler
Do you have pictures of the Auray deluxe velour mod? I don't see any corners that you described for cutting holes into the pad. You described, top, bottom, and the two sides but where and how far away from the center?

It's been so long that I barely remember how many holes I put in them, how large or how many.
I'm pretty sure I just put 2 in the top (left and right) and 2 more in the bottom. I posted this somewhere so try to do a search for the old name of the pads. They were previously called "Pearstone" pads.

When you put the Auray pads on the DJ100 it will sort of be in an oval shape.

I had to poke the holes on the insides of the pad in the black area. I don't really suggest this since it will ruin them or make it hard to reverse.

Using 4 holes I think got it close to the M50 pad sound. I believe they were the size of maybe a round eraser head.

EDIT:
Found my old post about the Pearstone/Auray Mod. I'm not sure it's worth it due to ruining some decent pads.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/571216/koss-pro-dj-100-the-budget-king/1620#post_9229621

BTW I notice you have the Total Airhead. One of the most underrated amps there is! I actually think it sounds better for the Q701 than the O2! It's even more portable.
It also manages to drive my K400 and HD-650. It's neutral, but NOT cold/thin like the O2 can often sound. It's tone is similar to my Micro Amp. It really doesn't have one. Maybe an ultra tiny hint of warmth. Less so than even an E17! Good with the DJ100 too.

I upgraded to the Micro Amp due to that thing.

Nov 18, 2014 at 11:22 PM Post #2,262 of 2,344
the DJ100 is 45€ here and the DJ200 is 67€, no TBSE because I'm too late for it. I'm more into DJ200 because of the detachable cable. Have already read the DJ200 thread, seems like it sounds almost the same as DJ100, so it should be no problem.

biggrin.gif

tongue.gif

Not sure if you'll still read this but I don't often check here as much as before. Less money these days and I don't want to get tempted.

To me the DJ100 and KRK KNS-8400 are probably comparable. I personally prefer the DJ100 by far. If the DJ100 did not exist I'd probably use the KRKs.

The major difference to me is that the DJ100 has smoother treble. It's a little more polite and not harsh at all. It's somewhat forgiving for those very bright/harsh Jpop recordings. I can't say it "fixes" them, but just makes them a bit more listenable.

The bass extension is probably about the same. I was listening to low bass rumbling sounds on both headphones with gaming and it's very similar. Both of them had more present bass than the Q701, HD-650, K601 etc, but no surprise there. Neither have a mid-bass hump to me at all. It's pretty flat.

I've found the DJ100 much more full sounding, more realistic and more neutral sounding. KRK KNS-8400 can often sounds tinny/harsh with some music, but yet totally different with other music. They're both pretty accurate but I find the DJ100 more fun to listen to. Both pretty accurate, but I think the DJ100 has the edge when it comes to how neutral it is. Actually more like "smooth sounding". 8400 could measure flatter but actually sound harsher/brighter!

The DJ100 really does need M50 pads to be at it's best. Without those it sounds a bit more warm and more closed in.

Oh and despite the 8400 being closed, it's soundstage with the right music is pretty good. It even has angled drivers!

The DJ100 really does need a good amp/dac to be at it's best. It's sounds much less cramped with it's soundstage when I use it with my Modi.

I honestly rarely suggest it for use without an external amp but I know many people still like it.

I now use the Tony Bennett version. I think it perhaps has a TINY bit more treble than the DJ100 but no way to know for sure. I've used it with M50 pads since I got it.

DJ100 is fairly picky about amps. I hated it with the E10, Asgard 2 and Vali, but is great with the Total Airhead, O2 and my Micro Amp. Fine with the E17 too. Strangely I prefer to "double amp" it when I use a portable player. I actually don't think it sounds worse and actually better than using a line out from some devices. Weird! Fiio X3 might be perfect but I haven't heard it.

The differences between amped and not-amped actually can vary between bitrates and recordings! For some music it might sound great, but for others not so much. When a DJ100 is under-amped the bass can be a little more sloppy or everything is too closed in sounding.

Nov 19, 2014 at 6:47 AM Post #2,263 of 2,344
Not sure if you'll still read this but I don't often check here as much as before. Less money these days and I don't want to get tempted.

To me the DJ100 and KRK KNS-8400 are probably comparable. I personally prefer the DJ100 by far. If the DJ100 did not exist I'd probably use the KRKs.

The major difference to me is that the DJ100 has smoother treble. It's a little more polite and not harsh at all. It's somewhat forgiving for those very bright/harsh Jpop recordings. I can't say it "fixes" them, but just makes them a bit more listenable.

The bass extension is probably about the same. I was listening to low bass rumbling sounds on both headphones with gaming and it's very similar. Both of them had more present bass than the Q701, HD-650, K601 etc, but no surprise there. Neither have a mid-bass hump to me at all. It's pretty flat.

I've found the DJ100 much more full sounding, more realistic and more neutral sounding. KRK KNS-8400 can often sounds tinny/harsh with some music, but yet totally different with other music. They're both pretty accurate but I find the DJ100 more fun to listen to. Both pretty accurate, but I think the DJ100 has the edge when it comes to how neutral it is. Actually more like "smooth sounding". 8400 could measure flatter but actually sound harsher/brighter!

The DJ100 really does need M50 pads to be at it's best. Without those it sounds a bit more warm and more closed in.

Oh and despite the 8400 being closed, it's soundstage with the right music is pretty good. It even has angled drivers!

The DJ100 really does need a good amp/dac to be at it's best. It's sounds much less cramped with it's soundstage when I use it with my Modi.

I honestly rarely suggest it for use without an external amp but I know many people still like it.

I now use the Tony Bennett version. I think it perhaps has a TINY bit more treble than the DJ100 but no way to know for sure. I've used it with M50 pads since I got it.

DJ100 is fairly picky about amps. I hated it with the E10, Asgard 2 and Vali, but is great with the Total Airhead, O2 and my Micro Amp. Fine with the E17 too. Strangely I prefer to "double amp" it when I use a portable player. I actually don't think it sounds worse and actually better than using a line out from some devices. Weird! Fiio X3 might be perfect but I haven't heard it.

The differences between amped and not-amped actually can vary between bitrates and recordings! For some music it might sound great, but for others not so much. When a DJ100 is under-amped the bass can be a little more sloppy or everything is too closed in sounding.

Glad to see you're still around.
Well, you're right about KRK's treble, I felt it too. When the vocal is high pitched, it could really be piercing to the ears, whereas I didn't feel it when using HD598.

Btw if it's fine with E17, it should be better with X3 since X3 uses E17 amp but better.

Anyway, thanks for the info tdock.
I might pull the trigger on DJ200 next week if there isn't any better deal during Cyber Monday, and if required I might have to get an E12 as well. But slowly.
I have the modded KRK 8400, so trying this cans could be promising or disappointing, but don't know yet.

Dec 15, 2014 at 5:33 AM Post #2,265 of 2,344
Now what...?

I just turned in my Pro DJ 100 for a faulty cord. Store clerk told me i most likely will be getting a refund since they don't sell a comparable model anymore. Is anyone still offering deals on the Tony Bennet? (And offers international shipping, at that)
Getting the TB should remove the cord issue i've been having, just replace the cord... I guess the same is true for the Pro DJ 200 but for what ever reason it's 2x the price of what the 100 used to cost over here.

Sort of sucks, at least i managed to get some warranty on these, since they were a gift, getting hold the receipt wasn't that easy. But my girl is good, she held on to it. Just took a while to find it.
B!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back