Koss Pro DJ 100 - The Budget King
Mar 2, 2014 at 8:07 AM Post #2,011 of 2,344
I found the Tony Benett ones at Tuesday Morning yesterday. On their clearance section so I got them for 39.99. The cans and cable and case were all there, but it was missing the paperwork and the music. That was disappointing.

Just from playing a a few games yesterday afternoon (Shadowrun Returns & Diablo 3) they don't sound any different, to me, than the pro dj 100s. I had thought they were the dj 200s but I don't see anything on the box or them to indicate which version they are. I like them and I think I will let my brother use my other 100s sometimes. And I'll probably try to get those M50 pads at some point too. Darn head-fi.

I think I mentioned this in my original post, but I'm using the Schiit Magni/Modi with my built in realtek hd audio on my computer. Aside from making my ears hurt after wearing them for a while I really like the dj100s. They remind me of an old pair of closed over the ear KOSS headphones I had (and got rid of sadly) years and years ago, before I knew koss had the limited lifetime warranty and would have replaced the pads for me, or that I could have done it.

Google Images tells me they were the td/60s, once I saw the blue tag on the cup and the metal band I remembered.

Mar 7, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #2,012 of 2,344
Where can I get genuine M50 pads for cheap in AUS?

Mar 8, 2014 at 6:40 PM Post #2,014 of 2,344
Just got this HP from amazon for under $50. It sounds pretty good out of the box, better than expected. One complaint is the ear pad is a firm and small. My top ear tip is getting pressed and it is a little bit disturbing (also, my daily Hp is Mad Dog with the alpha pad so yeah you know how comfy alpha pad is). I swapped the pad with my Sony MDR-1RBT (which I bought for portable use, but it sounded so bad after listening to Mad Dog), now the Koss is comfy and provide better isolation than the stock pad.
-Koss KSC-75: another budget king HP which sounds absolutely awesome for under $15 and I have been using KSC75 for quite some time as my daily HP and this ProDJ100 for me is like a closed version of KSC75. Of course being closed HP, the soundstage will suffer. 
- Sony MDR-1RBT: the koss absolutely stomp all over the sony. The mid is definitely the deal breaker on the sony, it sounds nasal and thin with no solid feeling whatsoever while the koss is solid and a lot more forward, can be a little it too much sometimes depending on the recording. 
- Sony MA900: sounds about the same, the koss has more forward mids, better bass impact mostly due to closed HP, definitely lose in soundstage against MA900. Both are solid HPs.
- Mad Dog: no comparison. The Mad Dog is better in almost everything except portability and weight. 
Again, Koss produce an outstanding HP with this kind of price is unbelievable.

Mar 8, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #2,015 of 2,344
What's a good upgrade from these. Something that is similarly portable and rugged but with better sound. Something we'll balanced with a slight warm tinge and a good sound stage. < $200.

Yo,

I personally like the Philips Fidelio L1 a ton more than these. More bass, better control, better imaging, just everything IMO.

Mar 8, 2014 at 10:58 PM Post #2,016 of 2,344
Can anyone recommend a nice cable for the Tony Bennett version?  

I really like these headphones and have a new pair of DJ100 in storage just in case it goes out of production.  They are very good for classical music and especially vocals.  The other day I was listening a test CD for audio equipment and one of the track was 'Alison Krauss - Jacob's Dream'  I was blown away especially around 1:28 "Oh mommy and daddy . . ".  Here is a youtube version and the sound is not bad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuUXcrRaQa8

I recently got a pair of the ATH-ANC7B and the cables came with the headphones are too thin and the coiled one from my Tony Bennett version fits like a glove.

Apparently Koss does not sell the cable by itself so I am trying to buy a similar one.  I will also consider straight ones but really like the coiled one.

TIA,

Mar 9, 2014 at 1:07 AM Post #2,017 of 2,344
  Just got this HP from amazon for under $50. It sounds pretty good out of the box, better than expected. One complaint is the ear pad is a firm and small. My top ear tip is getting pressed and it is a little bit disturbing (also, my daily Hp is Mad Dog with the alpha pad so yeah you know how comfy alpha pad is). I swapped the pad with my Sony MDR-1RBT (which I bought for portable use, but it sounded so bad after listening to Mad Dog), now the Koss is comfy and provide better isolation than the stock pad.
-Koss KSC-75: another budget king HP which sounds absolutely awesome for under $15 and I have been using KSC75 for quite some time as my daily HP and this ProDJ100 for me is like a closed version of KSC75. Of course being closed HP, the soundstage will suffer. 
- Sony MDR-1RBT: the koss absolutely stomp all over the sony. The mid is definitely the deal breaker on the sony, it sounds nasal and thin with no solid feeling whatsoever while the koss is solid and a lot more forward, can be a little it too much sometimes depending on the recording. 
- Sony MA900: sounds about the same, the koss has more forward mids, better bass impact mostly due to closed HP, definitely lose in soundstage against MA900. Both are solid HPs.
- Mad Dog: no comparison. The Mad Dog is better in almost everything except portability and weight. 
Again, Koss produce an outstanding HP with this kind of price is unbelievable.

Wow I'm surprised it compares well to the MDR-1R and MA900. I've tried a lot of different budget mostly under 100 dollars headphones and I keep going back to my Koss DJ100s. It's just so well rounded and definitely underrated. 

Mar 9, 2014 at 1:11 PM Post #2,018 of 2,344
  Can anyone recommend a nice cable for the Tony Bennett version?  

I really like these headphones and have a new pair of DJ100 in storage just in case it goes out of production.  They are very good for classical music and especially vocals.  The other day I was listening a test CD for audio equipment and one of the track was 'Alison Krauss - Jacob's Dream'  I was blown away especially around 1:28 "Oh mommy and daddy . . ".  Here is a youtube version and the sound is not bad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuUXcrRaQa8

I recently got a pair of the ATH-ANC7B and the cables came with the headphones are too thin and the coiled one from my Tony Bennett version fits like a glove.

Apparently Koss does not sell the cable by itself so I am trying to buy a similar one.  I will also consider straight ones but really like the coiled one.

TIA,

Alison Krauss won best engineered album of the year, they will sound good through anything haha.

Mar 12, 2014 at 3:16 PM Post #2,020 of 2,344

Mar 12, 2014 at 3:30 PM Post #2,022 of 2,344
Thank you. 

Mar 12, 2014 at 8:53 PM Post #2,024 of 2,344
^ They sound sooooo good.

Mar 20, 2014 at 2:09 PM Post #2,025 of 2,344
DJ100 in white just released.
http://www.koss.com/en/products/headphones/full_size_headphones/PRODJ100w__PRODJ100w_Full_SIze_Headphones

Users who are viewing this thread

Back