Koss Portapro Thread
Aug 13, 2010 at 11:29 PM Post #228 of 1,312
Koss PortaPro costs $134AUD in Australia
blink.gif

http://headphones.com.au/psingle?productID=59

Alas, got mine for $30AUD from overseas. Ahh yes...the wonders of a free market economy...

My PortaPros are currently being used by my dad. Better than sitting in my drawer.

Sep 12, 2010 at 8:46 AM Post #231 of 1,312
Hi, I`ve had my PortaPros long before HeadFi was even thaught of (bought them around the late 80`s i think) but they still amases me when i put them on. And they have never crap`d out on me. Begin to look a little worn though. Best bang for buck even when its around 60 bucks here in Norway.
beerchug.gif

Sep 13, 2010 at 10:55 PM Post #232 of 1,312
Those are fake, just as the ones are on dealextreme.com for $11.

Koss is an American company, and they know how to spell personal... on the picture of the box in your link, the knockoff artist spells it 'persinal'... also notice the awkward spacing in the line below it "for p rotective storage"

FAKE, DO NOT BUY!!

Quote:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260659623427&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Hi head-fiers,

What do you think about this portapro?? Are they genuine?? Is it worth to buy or any other site sell it cheap? pls reckon me...

Cheers,

yugiyao

Sep 14, 2010 at 7:14 AM Post #233 of 1,312
I had to pay $50 for them here in India.
frown.gif

But with all the fake headphones around I did not want to take the chance and got them from an authorized distributor.

Thankfully they are good value for money even at $50. Though surprisingly they need an amp to sound their best.

Sep 14, 2010 at 11:14 AM Post #234 of 1,312
I ordered a 25th anniversary edition box set of ebay.  I wonder how they'll compare to the PX100s.  Was thinking of purchasing a few of these box sets and just stowing them away for when they become vintage NOS.

Lets hope its difficult to counterfeit the Anniversary box with coin and all.  I got stung with fake Sony IEMS EX80s or whatever.  It sounded like 1cent ear buds.  Got a full refund - should I leave a negative feedback or stay out of it...because he refunded me before I kicked up a fuss.

Sep 14, 2010 at 12:05 PM Post #235 of 1,312
Sent in my pair that I got in March for a replacement, and just got a new pair back from them! My friend was using them, and one of the black clips on the headband broke off. They do honor their warranty!

Sep 14, 2010 at 12:07 PM Post #236 of 1,312
They sound pretty comparable - the Portapro has a bit more bass (possibly too much) and clarity, IMO. The PX100 is more convenient to put on and store for travel, though. When they were both about $30, it was a tossup with the edge given to the PX100, but now that the PX100 is ~$50, the Portapros are a better deal.

Quote:
I ordered a 25th anniversary edition box set of ebay.  I wonder how they'll compare to the PX100s.  Was thinking of purchasing a few of these box sets and just stowing them away for when they become vintage NOS.

Lets hope its difficult to counterfeit the Anniversary box with coin and all.  I got stung with fake Sony IEMS EX80s or whatever.  It sounded like 1cent ear buds.  Got a full refund - should I leave a negative feedback or stay out of it...because he refunded me before I kicked up a fuss.

Sep 16, 2010 at 7:00 AM Post #237 of 1,312
Just received my 25th anniversary box set.  Better than HD595 for me.  They're like cousins to the PX100 - technically they're exactly the same.  Tonally a little different.  The Portapro's have similar bass emphasis, maybe a bit more.  the biggest difference is the mid.  PX100s are lower mids prominent, the PPs move the mids more to center - so they're more center mid prominent and a tad less emphasis on the lower mids.  This translates to a perception of increased clarity, air and spaciousness at the expense of intimacy and romance.  Both have gorgeous, full bodied mids.

all in all, these cans are more similar than they are different, in both tonality and technicality.  I can certainly see how the portapros were never changed not once...whilst we're at the 2nd generation PX100IIs (I do not own)...indicating that Senhesser is either heavily into product refreshment/marketing strategies or they still feel they have chasing to do in this segment...which Koss has been comfortable that they had the formula right from day one.

To draw debate from the HD650/HD600 debate, the PX100s lean on the HD650 side of neutral whilst the Portapros on the HD600.  Nevertheless the way head-fi have been heading in the past few years with the skewing of "neutrality" to mean treble heavy - I think everyone should buy a pair of Portapros to be able to know what neutral ought to sound like - this was the interpretation of "neutral" in the days before measurements got involved.  Me personally, I can't get enough of intimacy and romance, hence I would probably reach PX100s as first preference...not that I'd be complaining if I'd have the Portapros - I'd be grateful for the extra "neutrality".

both are excellent and it comes down to subjective preferences.  I already own PX100s so these babies go into the nice box and are stored until they become NOS items, the PX100s will never be a classic the way Senheisser plays - whereas the portapros already are.  If my PX100s die on me, I' probably bu another set of portapros...I like these a lot - much more than HD595s.

Sep 16, 2010 at 10:24 AM Post #238 of 1,312
The graph of these two and some education:

After typing up the impressions, I checked the headroom graphs and was pleasantly surprised to find the graphs match my impressions.  Firstly for whatever reason, both these cans don't have the frightful amount of bass that the graph indicates, but there is sufficient bass, that's for sure!

The main factor for the PX100s having a fuller midrange and the PPs sounding more "neutral" is the subbass extension on the PX100s.  This matches my experimentation with EQ.  I theorise that the extra subbass competes for the limited bandwidth of our processing procedures and masks some of the upper mids and treble.  This is also aided by the minute differences in upper mid and treble response, but by and large the midrange is influenced by the difference in subbass quantities.

The other effect of this subbass extension is the illusion that the PPs bass is punchier and quicker whilst the PX100s bass is slow and uncontrolled.  This is not true, both cans are virtually identical in speed.  However even to me...as a mere mortal, the PP's sound to have a little more pace for faster paced music - even when I know this is a lie.

EDIT:  I was wrong.  The PPs do indeed have a quicker driver capable of quicker transients, hence the more "neutral" and less warmer presentation than the PX100s, the extended subbass of the PX100s may contribut to this, but IME quicker drivers change the sound at least just as dramatically,  and maybe more so.  Therefore it is actually safe to assume that the PPs are better at rendering transients and in purely technical terms, are still undisputed champion of its segment, for 25 years straight.

* I think these things are burning in as I compare...perhaps burn-in is a real issue with these cans?

Sep 23, 2010 at 10:53 PM Post #240 of 1,312
They really are that good, my one is boxed up awaiting the day they become NOS.  I want to buy a regular pair - but am afraid of immitations - I have already been caught out once with other cans...so I  may end up purchasing yet another 25th anniversary special for my own listening pleasure - because I don't think the 25th is feasible to be faked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back