Koss Portapro Thread
Nov 2, 2010 at 1:55 AM Post #256 of 1,312
I sold all my portable phones(SM3, Westone 2, Shure SE535) but kept one phone: the Koss Portapro Anniversary Edition.  These are simply incredible headphones for the money that I think everyone should own.

Nov 12, 2010 at 9:36 PM Post #258 of 1,312
i just got a pair of the Koss UR40 which i guess is very similar to the portapro. i am really liking the sound of these. coupled with the PA2V2 and some crossfeed it's sounding pretty damn good. nice open sound with a good amount of bass and nice forward mids and a nice smooth but still sparkly top end. really killer cans for the price.

Nov 13, 2010 at 2:23 AM Post #259 of 1,312
I think my PPs are great. I also have a pair of SR 60s which are only a little better, but I find the comfort of the PortaPros overcome the small differince with the 60s. I just listen to the 60s when I plan on being immobile for more than an hour.
I also have KSC 35s, which are great on a bicycle, it's better than a car stereo and I can hear what's going on around me. Of course the same can be said for the portaPros, but I can't wear a hat with them.

Nov 13, 2010 at 12:09 PM Post #260 of 1,312
I aimed to reach or overcome Grado SQ, when developed my PortaGold mod (see my avatar?). As I wrote before, PortaPro reached SR225 level, keeping and even improving their original PP comfort. Just changing pads to HD414 reversed pads, you may improve both SQ and comfort.

Quote:
I think my PPs are great. I also have a pair of SR 60s which are only a little better, but I find the comfort of the PortaPros overcome the small differince with the 60s. I just listen to the 60s when I plan on being immobile for more than an hour.

Nov 13, 2010 at 2:39 PM Post #261 of 1,312
I have had my Porta's for about a year now and love them. I have always thought that they sounded a tad bit muffled though. I just Kramer modded them (using a dime instead of a quarter) and now they just sound perfect! I would never have guessed sound like this would come from cans that ran me about 32 bucks on amazon! :D

(Edit): I added some stockings under the pads. The highs were coming in to hot and I was getting fatigued quickly. I will post a picture or two.

Nov 17, 2010 at 5:53 PM Post #262 of 1,312
Here is what they look like close up. I think I might get some different colored stockings to make 'em look really cool.

Dec 4, 2010 at 3:48 PM Post #263 of 1,312
This is my 2nd post in over 4 years, quite a long time! Anyway, I lost my old Portapros and bought 2 new pairs. Seems like the newer Portapros have a thinner cable and a straight plug, so I did some research on the web and it seems like there are black and red Portapros as well.

So what are these? Fakes or originals?

Dec 4, 2010 at 3:51 PM Post #264 of 1,312
Those look original to me, but where did you buy them?

Dec 4, 2010 at 3:58 PM Post #265 of 1,312

Quote:
Those look original to me, but where did you buy them?

Oh mine are the standard blue and the 25th anniversary edition. I just found this photo on the web and have no idea where to buy it. I also like the red and black versions but I don't think they're avaliable in Singapore, the country I'm based in. 

Dec 4, 2010 at 4:09 PM Post #266 of 1,312
I don't know that you can still buy those colored versions, but I could check for you when I go back to Milwaukee in a couple weeks. It's been awhile since I've visited the ol' factory :)

Dec 4, 2010 at 4:21 PM Post #267 of 1,312
You mean the Portapro comes in many colors these days? Oh man I'm so out of touch! They seem rare, only saw a few pics of the black and red versions. That yellow one I posted is the only pic I saw online. Think I'm having a Portapro craze at the moment. They suddenly look nice to me. Thanks for checking if you happen to drop by Koss.

Dec 30, 2010 at 5:20 PM Post #268 of 1,312
Just got them today and must say, I love them!  I have UE SuperFi v2, UE 700, and MEE M9s; I use them for working out and by far the PortaPros are much better for that purpose.  Isolation is not as great, of course, but no more worries about the IEMs falling out of my ears or cutting out due to sweat.

Dec 30, 2010 at 8:36 PM Post #269 of 1,312
This was my first pair of headphones that were not ear buds and I was blown away by the sound.  After about a year I ended up busting a part of the head band and they sent me a brand new set, I was very pleased.
They still get use to this day when I'm at the computer, although the wife sometimes complains about the sound leakage 
basshead.gif

Jan 5, 2011 at 4:33 PM Post #270 of 1,312
So I got the mellow yellows!

My comfort zone mod. I prefer the light settings, so I jammed a piece of cable tie in place

My own variation of the kramer mod, 5 small holes only. I don't have a drill, so the holes are abit rough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back