Koss Portapro Thread
Jan 5, 2011 at 7:50 PM Post #271 of 1,312

Quote:
So I got the mellow yellows!

My comfort zone mod. I prefer the light settings, so I jammed a piece of cable tie in place

My own variation of the kramer mod, 5 small holes only. I don't have a drill, so the holes are abit rough.

I'm so jealous of those mellows. I might have to find a pair. Where did you get yours from?

Jan 7, 2011 at 3:27 AM Post #272 of 1,312
[size=medium]I purchased some Koss Porta pro’s twenty years ago and still using the same set.[/size]
[size=medium]Portable player have moved on in huge leaps and bounds but the Koss, trundles along nicely.[/size]
[size=medium]Now coupled to a QA 350 and still sounding great. [/size]

Jan 7, 2011 at 10:12 AM Post #273 of 1,312
For guys working out with these headphones, are you guys swapping pads or anything?  My hair is sort of long; not long but long enough where sweat will drip onto the earphones, and would notice some "static" afterward while still jogging.  Not sure where it's coming from(loose cord?), but works fine later on.

Jan 27, 2011 at 4:46 PM Post #275 of 1,312
So, I bought a few pair of the HD414 pads and I threw them on the portapro's backwards. I also covered the drivers with panythose (works fantastic and is really easy to attach). Now, I'm really contemplating the kramer mod but i don't want them to sound much harsher or sacrifice much bass. Any suggestions on how to drill the holes? The vibe that i got was that if you drilled holes towards the outside it did more for the bass and the center holes added more treble. Anyone want to confirm this or give me their opinions?

Edit: I listened to the drivers with the grille completely off and I decided that the best sound would be somewhere in-between having a grill and not having it. The music sounded too aggressive with the grille and too neutral without it. Kramer it is :D

Jan 29, 2011 at 12:23 AM Post #276 of 1,312
I did the mod! I'm very happy with the sound. I really think they shine even more on bright songs now and they sound more neutral overall, while still retaining a fair amount of aggression.

Mar 8, 2011 at 11:49 PM Post #278 of 1,312

Quote:
KSC75 w/ 414 earpads
style yes yes?

Ahahahahaha...WIN. 
biggrin.gif

How do they sound?

Mar 9, 2011 at 6:26 PM Post #279 of 1,312
So, I was playing around with throwing the 414 pads on my other pair of portapro's (The black bestbuy version). I decided I liked the fit more because the headphone band is bent differently. So, I switched over the grille covers and covered them with some grey pantyhose this time :D. Oh, I also figured out a way to get the fit a bit better with the sennheiser pads by adding a small piece of plastic. I'll upload some pics.

added a small piece off of a zip tie as you can see. It makes the driver enclosure sit parallel with my ears. Results may vary, but I think it is an improvement in comfort. It keeps the driver from putting too much pressure on the top of my ears : )

For some reason i can only upload one pic at a time. I'll upload a few more to show you guys what I mean.

Mar 9, 2011 at 6:41 PM Post #281 of 1,312

See the difference compared to the picture of me wearing the other pair? This is what the adding the small plastic piece does. Try gluing with elmers glue at first to try it out temporarily.

cut down the part of the pad that I removed from the 414's and added it to the top. it doesn't so much that my hair doesn't do already but it helps keep the metal band off of my neck when I place them there.

Definitely prefer the grey to the skin colored pantyhose.

I dig em :D prolly the last time i'm going to mess around with my portapros. I've got this set for listening and my other set for more portable use/parts. The only thing I'd maybe add would be some temple padding, but I didn't like the pressure that it put on my temples on the default pro's. Color me completely happy in this simple set of modded headphones. 

Mar 9, 2011 at 6:44 PM Post #282 of 1,312

Quote:
Quote:
KSC75 w/ 414 earpads
style yes yes?

Oh man I need impressions on how these sound, would definitely do this if they still sounded decent.

All you are doing is moving the driver away from your ears about a quarter of an inch. It improves the sparkle of the highs and decreases how heavy the bass is. The bass is still there, just not as in your face. I also think it helps with the soundstage of the headphones :)

Mar 9, 2011 at 6:52 PM Post #283 of 1,312

Quote:
Ahahahahaha...WIN. 
biggrin.gif

How do they sound?

Quote:
All you are doing is moving the driver away from your ears about a quarter of an inch. It improves the sparkle of the highs and decreases how heavy the bass is. The bass is still there, just not as in your face. I also think it helps with the soundstage of the headphones :)

perfectly stated. also, the pads need to be quarter modded to sound the best otherwise they sound a bit too distant and muffled

Mar 9, 2011 at 7:06 PM Post #284 of 1,312

Quote:

perfectly stated. also, the pads need to be quarter modded to sound the best otherwise they sound a bit too distant and muffled

You can't not mod the pads? Unless you put them on the way that sennheiser intended them to be used. I can't see how you could put the pads on without completely removing the foam (a piece significantly larger than a quarter)

Mar 9, 2011 at 7:08 PM Post #285 of 1,312

Quote:
KSC75 w/ 414 earpads
style yes yes?

Yeah, you have the pads on backwards mate (well, actually you have them on properly which isn't what most people do with the 414 pads). Try cutting a hole the size of the driver, or a tad smaller and flipping the pads around. You should see more improvement. IF they will still fit on your ears. I haven't done this with the KSC75's only the Portapros.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back