Koss Portapro Thread
Feb 23, 2010 at 3:12 AM Post #211 of 1,312
I also noticed the 103 dB SPL/1mW on the Best Buy PPs...I still bought them, but I would like to know why they are rated differently than the "normal" and the 25th. I called Koss and got the machine, left message, nothing. At least they sound great! Having never heard another pair of PPs I have no basis for comparison. Still love them.

May 25, 2010 at 8:01 PM Post #212 of 1,312
I also bought the ones at B-Buy... all black, cloth sheathing on the cable, ect. for $30, they sound like the originals, only the sliding of the band is different because of the black coating that eventually wears off.

Jun 8, 2010 at 10:37 PM Post #213 of 1,312
These headphones are simply amazing for the price. I was one of those people who just buy whatever headphone that you first pick up at the store without testing the sound. Oh boy do I feel better now that I have these bad boys.

Now I'm just wondering what pads are better to add on these. PX200's, HD414s, or Grado Bowls.
happy_face1.gif

Jun 11, 2010 at 1:46 AM Post #214 of 1,312
My new 25th Anniv. Edition PortaPros came in the mail about 3 weeks ago. At first I thought the sound was a bit too high on the mids, as I liked listening to the "V" equalizer setting. However, after a few listening sessions, I warmed up to the sound (I always listen to a flat equalizer when I first try out new cans).

I like them more than my Senn HD238 now. Comparing back and forth, to me it sounds like the HD238s are too muddled in the mids, as some sounds are muffled by the upper-bass compared to the PortaPros. Now, I actually adjust my EQ to make the HD238s sound warmer. lol...  Seems I've been bit by the warm bug.

I know it isn't the best in clarity, but its sound signature is really enjoyable, and I even love how it isn't as clear as higher-end cans. (if you get what I mean). It just sounds good to me all around, including its faults/limitations. I'll be upgrading my equipment from time to time, but I will never part with these.

Also, I have no idea why people think they look bad. They look great! Maybe it's just the 25th Anniversary Edition colour, but the build, however I actually like. It's like no other headphones I've tried. It 'seems' flimsy, but I'm actually more scared to break my HD238 plastic frame than these. They feel like they would bend, fold, stretch and take all the abuse but never break. That said, I take care of them like they're babies.

Jun 11, 2010 at 2:05 AM Post #215 of 1,312
A really nice little pair of headphones. They don't compare to my now favorite, the Sennheiser HD 203, but for when I don't want to be seen with big ole Sennys, and for when I want to run or do hard work outside (basically anything that will create large amount of sweat...), the Porta Pros are great. Like someone else has said, I don't mind sweating all over them. The driver is safe from sweat, plus the foam pads dry out pretty quickly. Plus them being open is ok, as sometimes I need to be able to hear my environment when running or walking, and overall the volume of the Porta Pros easily overcomes distractions.

I wouldn't want to sweat in my sennheisers.

Jun 11, 2010 at 3:21 AM Post #216 of 1,312
Speaking of how they sound when on the go:
Being open cans, they do let lots of sound in. In my experience however, it seems like Koss has calculated how much bass to boost in order for music to still have the same impact, and "fullness" even when you can hear the outside world. It's almost like hearing the music overlapping all the outside sounds, instead of being drowned out or being "treble-ized" (bass loss due to outside lower frequency sounds interfering with the music's own low frequencies). That said, 50-150hz bass still isn't really audible, but you still get some sense of it since the upper bass has been boosted so much to the point of practically being substitutes for it.

To my ears, the PortaPros excel in busy environments BECAUSE they are bassy. I really think they were designed with environmental noise taken into account.

So, I'm pretty happy with them without needing to block out the world. I never really had to make my music louder to hear it in a busy subway.

Jun 15, 2010 at 6:06 PM Post #217 of 1,312
Well, my porta pros died today. The cable is giving out, and the ear cups will cut out. I AM going to get them repaired by sending them into Koss, but I just had to go and get a new pair. I hope these last longer! I only had them about 8 months.

Jun 15, 2010 at 6:40 PM Post #218 of 1,312
I don't think for 20 notes that anyone can argue with anything regarding the Koss PortaPro seeing as how they are both more comfortable and sound just as good as something that costs twice that price (speaking about the Sennheiser HD212 Pro) and for me the Koss PortaPro headphones are the defacto headphone when it comes to cheap and portable which actually sounds good and doesn't make you look too much of a douche. Win Win. 

But I'm replacing my current pair since I use mine at home, going for high end because I miss my over ears! :frowning2:   No complaints about the Koss and I won't hear any either - head fi or not, and especially not at the price they go for! 

How anyone can say anything negative at this price is beyond me....

Aug 12, 2010 at 5:10 PM Post #221 of 1,312
Though I have cleared the $150 mark for my own purchases, I still enjoy listening to my PortaPro... It made some of the $300 and above 'phones at CanJam 2010 sound quite weak in the bass dept!

Aug 12, 2010 at 5:12 PM Post #222 of 1,312
My Portapros share time with my customized TF10s when I'm on the go. They would be full tme, but sadly, there is no isolation when my environment demands it.

Aug 12, 2010 at 5:19 PM Post #223 of 1,312

Quote:
..., but sadly, there is no isolation when my environment demands it.

Yeah, would use them on my commute but the whole train would share my music with me! So I got the £110 ATH-M50, alot more money but better for the train....but for some reason they are just not as fun as the little Portapros.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back