Koss Portapro Thread
Feb 4, 2010 at 3:38 PM Post #181 of 1,313
Quote:

Originally Posted by nonsupremous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What would we expect to hear different out of the portapro with the 414 pads?

I have PP with HD414 pads reversed, see my avatar. Better balanced FR with more even bass due to mid bass removal, much more clarity, bigger soundstage. Pretty significant refinement totally, partially due to proper dampening on both sides. Sound sig takes a huge step towards Grado. I will show big picture soon.

Feb 4, 2010 at 6:05 PM Post #183 of 1,313
If anyone is looking for some shops in t.0 for porta pros here's some:
-steves audio
-Mount pleasant audio (416-482-2920)
-Golden Electronics

Feb 4, 2010 at 9:26 PM Post #185 of 1,313
Avoid fakes. they sometimes appear on ebay!
Great phones. Have two pairs (one mine as back up & one my girlfriend's) of Porta Pro 2 - head-fiers know about them :) They really shine with amp - become much more controlled & clean.
Thanx for Senn Pad mod, Kstalex. Will give it a try.

Feb 4, 2010 at 11:52 PM Post #186 of 1,313
I just got some porta pro's and man.... they put a smile to my face. I mean these headphones sound kick ass! i can hear the smooth bass as well as the mids and tops it's pretty crisp too! They are also very comfortable and there freakin' portable!Everything i can ask for a portable pair of headphones! All i gotta say is thank you head fi! if it wasn't for this site, i would of never found out about these headphones! I am also getting a CMoy kit and can't wait build and solder it!
biggrin.gif
dt880smile.png
dt880smile.png

Feb 6, 2010 at 2:14 PM Post #189 of 1,313
Owned a PortaPro back in the early 90's, but they got lost many years ago.
Today I ordered two pairs. A regular one and a all black one, plus a package of six spare earpads. Putting me down $95 incl. VAT and shipping.

Remains to be seen what I should use them for.

Feb 6, 2010 at 4:37 PM Post #190 of 1,313
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Owned a PortaPro back in the early 90's, but they got lost many years ago.
Today I ordered two pairs. A regular one and a all black one, plus a package of six spare earpads. Putting me down $95 incl. VAT and shipping.

Remains to be seen what I should use them for.

95 dollars for 2 pairs plus all the pads plus shipping is a steal. You should be ashamed of yourself!!!!
wink.gif

Feb 8, 2010 at 12:24 PM Post #191 of 1,313
Well, although I didn't get any comments for my question, I decided to buy them anyway - at least I could use them at home if it's really unbearable to use them outside - because Amazon just lowered their price from 23.50 GBP to 18.60 GBP (free shipping), so I'll take the chance.
biggrin.gif

Feb 21, 2010 at 3:31 AM Post #192 of 1,313
FIRST POST! Just got the all-black PP from Best Buy here. I think they sound really good, but I do find the bass a bit overpowering (depending on music). I'm thinking about doing the Kramer mod + new pads. I'm torn between the PX200 and HD414 pads, and then I see the Grado bowls...aaaargh.

Question, as I write this listening to NIN Lights in the Sky off of The Slip, my wife looks at me and tells me she hates my new cans because she can't read while sitting next to me because she can hear what I'm listening to. So...which of the pads above will solve this? I think the PX200 might be the best for keeping my music to myself, but I would like to get everybody else's thoughts.

Feb 21, 2010 at 12:16 PM Post #193 of 1,313
Quote:

Just got the all-black PP from Best Buy here.

I bought these, wonderful deal, but right as the year changed I tracked down a pair of 25th anniversary editions, and I loved the way they were packaged. I like the chrome accents, and I proudly display them and their box at work where I use them.

I have a little hanger where I put the phones right above the box, behind my little music server, an old external drive and an E-MU 0202 USB. The drive, I lost the cover to, so had to make a label that clearly states it is my music drive. Before, I was accused of "hacking" a few times. These are legendary, and the 25th ed. phones are definitely a little better than the normal ones, probably better drivers as they don't seem to "wrinkle". They don't let down for their purpose, but even the cheap best buy pair is more than enough to impress mos
t people. The other day a Bose fanatic came by and I let him plug the 25ths into his iphone for a listen. He could not believe that something that was basically a foam earpad headphone right out of the 80s trounced his hundreds of dollars in Bose headphones, everything except isolation, really, but even he agreed, for that clarity, it is worth losing the isolation aspect for 98% of the time.

The standard PortaPro will get a little weird with bass because the diaphram touches the grille. I can hear this. The 25ths don't do it, but they have larger drivers that look like larger diameter drivers made for mounting to the gimbal of the PP.

Anyway, When I rediscovered these, it was fun, because it was a long time since I even gave a 2nd look to a foam earpad headphone like on an 80s walkman clone. I wish II knew about these back then, but I always picked up the sony sports band, basically earbuds with a band. It would wear out and I would get another. The Senn HD555s were the first phones that showed me there was hifi in this format. That was 10+ years ago, and to think I could have had very close to that 10 years before that for only 30-40, or like, 18 dollars for the best buy black versions. You can fix the
tizzyness with a mod to the grille. just be careful. The black ones won't ever perform like the 25ths or "normal" ones, but one can get close if you fix what causes the wrinkling. The black pair impressed Mr. Bose at work, he could not tell the difference. I could, but then I am not used to nothing but bose.

At least he does agree, if you can afford it, sony makes fairly good active noise cancellors. Still, he easily shells out the cost for the Bose OTE, I keep thinking why... i have like... well 6-7 really good sets that cost less and are placed in the audiophile catagory with the right setups. If he wants bass and comfort, I keep pimping the DT770s, or Shure 440s, and even Senn HD555s, if open is ok. Hell, My modded Aurvana Lives sound better than stock DT770s, AGK HD240s, and the Shure 440s, well, they are a lot like the Shures, once the Shures are EQed in. The 770s still have a wider headstage, but damn those Aurvanas are some good deals speaking of. Porta Pro normal/25ths for ultra light earpads and Aurvanas for closed cans, then SR60s for open over the ears.
I am an appreciator, if you can get the 25th anniversary set get them.

Feb 21, 2010 at 3:45 PM Post #194 of 1,313
I already have the standard PP, and I'm thinking about getting the Best Buy black PP. How does its durability--particularly its cloth cord--compare?

I really like how it looks; I think I'd feeling less self-conscious wearing them over standard blue.

Feb 21, 2010 at 4:22 PM Post #195 of 1,313
Quote:

Originally Posted by yashu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought these, wonderful deal, but right as the year changed I tracked down a pair of 25th anniversary editions, and I loved the way they were packaged. I like the chrome accents, and I proudly display them and their box at work where I use them.

At least he does agree, if you can afford it, sony makes fairly good active noise cancellors. Still, he easily shells out the cost for the Bose OTE, I keep thinking why... i have like... well 6-7 really good sets that cost less and are placed in the audiophile catagory with the right setups. If he wants bass and comfort, I keep pimping the DT770s, or Shure 440s, and even Senn HD555s, if open is ok. Hell, My modded Aurvana Lives sound better than stock DT770s, AGK HD240s, and the Shure 440s, well, they are a lot like the Shures, once the Shures are EQed in. The 770s still have a wider headstage, but damn those Aurvanas are some good deals speaking of. Porta Pro normal/25ths for ultra light earpads and Aurvanas for closed cans, then SR60s for open over the ears.
I am an appreciator, if you can get the 25th anniversary set get them.

Amen. Very nice post. I LOVE the PortaPro as well. What an awesome l'il 'phone.
bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back