Koss Portapro Thread
Mar 30, 2014 at 8:45 PM Post #526 of 1,312
  Am I the only one who thinks these make great running/biking/longboarding headphones, lol.

The portapros are awesome for almost any outdoor pursuit. They stay on firmly when i'm sprinting and let me hear traffic when out walking or cycling, Plus they're such great value and easily replaced so i'm not scared to throw them around and abuse them lol.

May 17, 2014 at 3:03 AM Post #527 of 1,312
I can't get over how good this headphone sounds. The Porta Pros are also a great summer headphone seeing how portable and lightweight that they are. Plus being on ear helps during the hot sweaty days. 

May 22, 2014 at 10:39 PM Post #529 of 1,312
Freakin sweet!! K-Mart had them for $25 and i picked up a pair to give to my dad (When i spotted him with some crappy skullcandy portables) and threw those away!
basshead.gif

A few months ago I passed through there and they had the KSC75 for like $7, which still isn't as good as the office depot people finding them for $2-5, but still pretty awesome when you consider what people usually use on the low-end.

May 24, 2014 at 4:05 AM Post #530 of 1,312
Modded my portapros again today. I cut some small circles out of a thin piece of foam and stuck them under the stock foam earpads. This pushes the driver slightly further away from my ear which helps reduce the boomy bass and brings the highs out a bit more. I'm going to experiment with different thicknesses to try and find my ideal balance.

Update: Actually ditched that idea as the extra bits of foam underneath made the pads a little uncomfortable. Grabbed some different sized foam pads at the local electronic store today to try out. I found the Daichi HEP50 50mm pads fit very nicely and add just the right amount space between the drivers and my ears to bring a little bit of sparkle out a tame the bass a bit. The slightly larger pads also bump the comfort levels up a notch which is always a good thing. Now to try out some different driver cover mods to see if i can make things sound even better!

Jun 18, 2014 at 3:54 AM Post #531 of 1,312
I just have to say, these things can take a beating. My girlfriend finally gave these back to me (now if she could only give me back my sr60i's...) and they are in pretty damn good condition. She is usually pretty hard on her stuff but with the exception of the ear pads, everything, including the KTC control, work perfectly. I'm actually pretty shocked they aren't broken. Listening to some music on my iPhone 5s with these right now and they sound great. 

Jun 18, 2014 at 4:32 AM Post #532 of 1,312
  I just have to say, these things can take a beating. My girlfriend finally gave these back to me (now if she could only give me back my sr60i's...) and they are in pretty damn good condition. She is usually pretty hard on her stuff but with the exception of the ear pads, everything, including the KTC control, work perfectly. I'm actually pretty shocked they aren't broken. Listening to some music on my iPhone 5s with these right now and they sound great. 

Yeh a lot of people claim they're quite fragile but i dont find that to be so. Mine take regular abuse inside my bag, the cord has been wound and unwound many times, i've pulled the drivers apart many times and they still work perfectly. Far more durable than many other headphones i've had in the past.

Jun 18, 2014 at 4:39 AM Post #533 of 1,312
The cord frayed at the splitter and I returned them to Koss after registering them on the warranty page. Enclosed a check for $9 US and a brand new pair showed up in the mail in a plain box and a plastic bag about ten days later. These are my "outdoor" headphones--the Martins don't leave the house. The Koss PortaPro are so comfortable that I frequently fall asleep wearing them. Sound quality is good though certainly not up to the level of a Grado or Ultrasone.

They are far more durable than the Skullcandy models. The Koss warranty is definitely a plus!

Jun 18, 2014 at 7:19 AM Post #534 of 1,312
  The cord frayed at the splitter and I returned them to Koss after registering them on the warranty page. Enclosed a check for $9 US and a brand new pair showed up in the mail in a plain box and a plastic bag about ten days later. These are my "outdoor" headphones--the Martins don't leave the house. The Koss PortaPro are so comfortable that I frequently fall asleep wearing them. Sound quality is good though certainly not up to the level of a Grado or Ultrasone.

They are far more durable than the Skullcandy models. The Koss warranty is definitely a plus!

Oh yeh i've taken many a nap with my portapros on. I use them when listening to audiobooks in bed, so so comfortable and they dont get pushed off my ears when my head sinks into the pillow like most other cans do.

Jun 18, 2014 at 8:46 AM Post #535 of 1,312
They are very durable.I used them in my backpack and just stuffed them in there for over a year. My parents broke the cable from standing up and walking away from the computer while wearing them. Sent them in for warranty about 8 months ago. This other pair survived me hitting the pavement while longboarding.

Jun 20, 2014 at 9:44 AM Post #537 of 1,312
I was thinking of getting these for outside use, but now that I started editing tracks a lot more, neutrality became more important, and I got used to it. Still, I would have gotten PortaPros anyway, if not for the cable on my KSC75 breaking in less than a year. That was the last time I let (°_°)phones break on me because of the cable. From now on, it is either removable, or thick & sturdy cable.

Having said that, I could get PortaPros later (after I get something else first).

Jun 30, 2014 at 3:03 PM Post #538 of 1,312
Bought these classics today. Gotta love them. Red hot version for 27 euro. 35 euro is normal price for black or white version. Anyway, these performs great metal/rock/pop genres, which I listen mostly. I have tried find song which would sound muddy in mids, but couldn't yet found any. These gems are just pain to use, but when got into head, everything is fine. :D

Aug 24, 2014 at 11:52 PM Post #539 of 1,312
I scored a set on clearance.  No wonder you guys love these.  And despite being cheap and open back, deep bass all the way to 20Hz, much better midrange and treble balance than KSC75, sweet!
I wish one of those eBay sellers made 45mm velours for KSC75 and PortaPro, that should bring out the clarity that the upper registers lack.  The Grado pad mod looks cool, but the use of cardboard is... questionable.  Maybe I'll get lucky and find something better made of wood or ABS plastic at the local hardware store later to try that out.

Aug 24, 2014 at 11:59 PM Post #540 of 1,312
...There were red Porta Pro?  Does anyone know if these are legit?  I was only aware of 3 color patterns, the standard, the white, and the black anniversary edition.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Koss-Porta-Pro-Adjustable-Headphones-New-Stereo-Folding-Brand-New-/231313759324?pt=Bluetooth_Wireless_Products&var=&hash=item35db5fdc5c

Edit:  yep, apparently I was just utterly ignorant of their existence...  if I do end up buying a pair again for some great ultraportable goodness, I might have to get this color.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back