Koss Portapro Thread
Aug 4, 2016 at 2:53 PM Post #827 of 1,312
  Looks like I'm going for the Black Gold.

Me too!

Those are so sexy ... can't believe they don't just change the color permanently cause I hate that black/blue original scheme ...

These both look yummy ..

Aug 4, 2016 at 3:27 PM Post #830 of 1,312
  One more picture I took of my Headband Mod PortaPro and Rockboxed xDuoo X3:

The blue drivers match the blue display lettering:

--

Some of my favorite headphones and my favorite DAP :D

My X3 is not rockboxed though because I have probably a dozen Rockboxed Sansa, iPod and Archos, didn't need another one....

I didn't get that headband yet because I managed to lose my Portapros, but i will find them when cleaning up my house, haha....

But yeah, I have my email sent into Koss, and I'll get those black golds as soon as they come out, and gonna hit them with that sweet sweet Sommer Peacock MKII cable.

For those who haven't seen how crazy a recabled PortaPro can get, go up a couple posts to my link to Jahn's Crazy Dog Walking Rig - He had some PortaPro recabled by Enigma Audio which I purchased from him (he parted it out eventually, didn't sell the whole rig at once). I had some stock PortaPros at the time and could not believe the difference in sound quality. Simple recabling, no re tuning, no driver modding, no nothing. Just a new silver braided cable.

Those modded PortaPros were my only headphones for nearly 2 years. In fact I missed the whole time period where Blox was making those killer earbuds because I was too busy jammin away on my silver cable PortaPros...

I very much look forward to doing the same to my Black Gold PortaPros when they show up here. I have no doubts whatsoever it will make them truly shine.

Aug 5, 2016 at 8:44 PM Post #831 of 1,312
I'm a new Porta Pro user and I'm very impressed. I didn't know such sound was possible for so little money. So nice and open, very enjoyable and easy to listen to, not to mention amazing lookers. I use them with the HD 414 pads and the middle comfort zone setting and they're oh so comfortable and light, easily an all day can. I'm using them as computer cans and so far used them for anime, movies and YouTube. Also used them on a digital piano, they work great there too. They sound surprisingly natural and realistic even though they have a dark signature. Sound stage is wide and deep, and the bass is there even with the Senn pads. You there on the fence, Koss yourselves.

Aug 6, 2016 at 10:07 AM Post #833 of 1,312
The Portapros have a fun signature, and a healthy bass that doesn't muddy the overall sound too much. It punches way over its class, but I'm not sure I'd say it has aspirations at hi-fi - they have a signature profile of their own. 

For those impressed by the Portapros and looking for something a bit more neutral (a great complementary pair with the portapro), I'd highly recommend the Koss KSC75. They have a detailed, airy sound but lack the porta pro's bass.

They are cheaper than the Portapros (no retro factor I guess), and they absolutely have 'hi fi' cans in their gun sights:

(credit to http://www.head-fi.org/t/532696/ksc75-and-why-everyone-should-own-it-at-least-once-in-their-life#post_7183706

Aug 6, 2016 at 10:55 AM Post #834 of 1,312
The Portapros have a fun signature, and a healthy bass that doesn't muddy the overall sound too much. It punches way over its class, but I'm not sure I'd say it has aspirations at hi-fi - they have a signature profile of their own. 

For those impressed by the Portapros and looking for something a bit more neutral (a great complementary pair with the portapro), I'd highly recommend the Koss KSC75. They have a detailed, airy sound but lack the porta pro's bass.

They are cheaper than the Portapros (no retro factor I guess), and they absolutely have 'hi fi' cans in their gun sights:

(credit to http://www.head-fi.org/t/532696/ksc75-and-why-everyone-should-own-it-at-least-once-in-their-life#post_7183706

The 650's are my favorite headphone of all time, but I prefer the Portapros over the ksc75's while out and about. I think the more fun sound signature is more interesting when you're doing other things. That being said, the 75's for how cheap they are, are mind blowingly good...

Aug 6, 2016 at 11:11 AM Post #835 of 1,312

Adjustment of the PortaPro bass and to get more transparency and air is easy. One you take a little pressure off the ear of the pads, on the old style by flexing the headband near the ear pieces or doing the same on the new style headband as I find the adjustment mechanism to be poorly done, and to get some ear foam pads that have the center quarter sized section taken out or like I used to to, just cut it out. Works great. More air, better bass and a headphone the will compete with many that cost a few hundred and some that cost more. I would say that most phones up to 500 dollars do not sound as good. 

Aug 12, 2016 at 6:12 PM Post #837 of 1,312
  Does anyone know if the Ear Zonk Grado Comfies are the same as the official Grado Comfies? Any differences in comfort or material?

Not exactly the same material but not enough to change the sound character. It just felt slightly different to the touch but after a while of using the Ear Zonks they felt more like the Grados. I guess they just need more breaking in.

Aug 12, 2016 at 6:17 PM Post #838 of 1,312

Not exactly the same material but not enough to change the sound character. It just felt slightly different to the touch but after a while of using the Ear Zonks they felt more like the Grados. I guess they just need more breaking in.

The Zonks were half the price (5 bucks) vs the Grado which were $10. I just went for the Zonks because I figured there's not enough of a difference to spend $5. Someone else said use 200 grain sandpaper and it'll soften it up too. I guess I can always mess with them when I get them too.

Aug 12, 2016 at 6:20 PM Post #839 of 1,312

The Zonks were half the price (5 bucks) vs the Grado which were $10. I just went for the Zonks because I figured there's not enough of a difference to spend $5. Someone else said use 200 grain sandpaper and it'll soften it up too. I guess I can always mess with them when I get them too.

I have heard the sandpaper suggestion, but I didn't follow it. I got Zonks for my Grados and PortaPros and didn't have complaints about any of them
. they did soften up with time though.

Aug 15, 2016 at 6:42 PM Post #840 of 1,312
  Quote:

Originally Posted by nonsupremous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What would we expect to hear different out of the portapro with the 414 pads?

I have PP with HD414 pads reversed, see my avatar. Better balanced FR with more even bass due to mid bass removal, much more clarity, bigger soundstage. Pretty significant refinement totally, partially due to proper dampening on both sides. Sound sig takes a huge step towards Grado. I will show big picture soon.

Can someone explain what they mean by "reversed" 414 pads? Are they turned inside out or something?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back