Koss Portapro Thread
Feb 13, 2006 at 7:52 PM Post #61 of 1,312
Have to bump this old thread. Just acquired a mint from another member. He bypassed R11 for a more dynamic sound, and runningt at 18V I have to say its an incredible synnergy.... Heres a pic...

Garrett

Feb 13, 2006 at 7:54 PM Post #62 of 1,312
Too cool for school - you have the SPORTAPros! Stealth Black, very nice!

Feb 13, 2006 at 9:35 PM Post #63 of 1,312
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
Too cool for school - you have the SPORTAPros! Stealth Black, very nice!

Yeah I almost offered them too you for your KSC35s... But HAD to back out. They sound soo good with this mint.

Garrett

Feb 13, 2006 at 9:38 PM Post #64 of 1,312
Rats! Well I'll make do with the goofier portapros, no worries!
tongue.gif

Feb 14, 2006 at 3:52 AM Post #66 of 1,312
Portapros look like "normal" portable headphones to me. Maybe my fashion sense is still back in the 80s (
tongue.gif
) but I seriously don't get what people find dorky about them. Is it the comfort zone pads on the temples that give that impression, or something else? They just look like ordinary headphones to me.

Feb 14, 2006 at 4:04 AM Post #67 of 1,312
Ditto, I really like the look. Some people do wonder what the comfort pads are for though.

I want to carve out some wood rings and discs to replace the metal ring and disc on the outside of the portapro. It would be purely cosmetic, but very cool. I wish I had the tools to do something like that.

Dec 29, 2006 at 6:19 AM Post #69 of 1,312
I think the KSC75's are loads better...

My PortaPro2's sounded like crap IMO. No offense to those who think they're great.

I doubt you'll find any pleather pads for the size of the PP's. Too small, no?

Dec 29, 2006 at 6:22 AM Post #70 of 1,312
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the KSC75's are loads better...

My PortaPro2's sounded like crap IMO. No offense to those who think they're great.

I doubt you'll find any pleather pads for the size of the PP's. Too small, no?

I'd agree with you..if I were a bass head. The KSC75s I just bought are muddy compared to my 414 PPs. Just my opinion.

I think your right about the pads, unfortunately. Though I think I've seen pleather pads that small before, I just can't remember where.

Dec 29, 2006 at 6:32 AM Post #72 of 1,312
Quote:

Originally Posted by EFN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PortaPro was my first serious buy since joining Head-Fi, remained faithful in entertaining me until I received my MS-1.

A classic in its own right. Long live PortaPro!!!

Funny, I've got some MS-1s coming also (I think? Alessandro isn;t very forthcoming)!

Dec 29, 2006 at 6:41 AM Post #73 of 1,312
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fr. John /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Funny, I've got some MS-1s coming also (I think? Alessandro isn;t very forthcoming)!

Ya, it's a disease most aquired from spending too much time in a joint called Head-Fi.org. KOSS -> Grado ailment can be found in many head-fiers nowadays
plainface.gif
biggrin.gif

Feb 11, 2008 at 5:23 AM Post #74 of 1,312
Thread resurrection!

A few years ago while hunting for headphones, the Portapros continually came up in my search. I found that Circuit City had Portapro2's and Sennheiser HD212s in stock.

The 212s went back two days later. They just sounded awful to me, and the headband broke when I took them out of the package.

The Portapros sounded great! Even without burn in they weren't too harsh sounding. After spending a day being broken in, they sounded even better.

After moving twice, the left driver gave out. I send them back to Koss plus shipping. I think 3 days later I got a new set of PORTAPROS! No the portapro2s. The Portapros sound even better, and have a comfort fitting setting that the portapro2s did not have.

I recently got Grado SR80s and I am constantly switching between the two. For comfort, the Koss edges out a bit. I have now modded the SR80s with the radioshack pad and reverse bowl, which adds to the comfort.

Sound wise, the Koss do not have the boost in treble, and aren't quite as fatiguing. The Grado's do have a bit more detail to them, which can something be distracting since I'm hearing things in songs I have never heard before.

The bass of Koss doesn't bother me too much. For some things its a bit overwhelming, but more bass isn't as fatiguing as headphones with more treble.

The biggest complaint I have with the portapros is the metal headband. I'm looking in to mods for it. I also haven't tried punching holes in the ear pads, which may bring out some more treble.

Due to both sets of cans, I am now planning on building a cmoy amp.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 11, 2008 at 5:58 AM Post #75 of 1,312
The PP's are awesome but they can do even better with mods. Much better.
Well, most portapro mods are a metter of taste but adding ear cushions puts them in a different league IMHO & I think it's a must mod for every PP owner.
The bass tightens and the soundstage goes wider. The treble extends too, due to the distance of the drivers from the ear.
I wish i could compare my pair with the Grado line.

Check out my sig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back