Koss Portapro Thread
Nov 17, 2014 at 5:23 PM Post #571 of 1,312
Can someone please explain in a simple way as to how the portapros, and bassy headphones like this are good for commuting. I have to explain it easily for someone who does not simply understand.

Nov 17, 2014 at 5:35 PM Post #572 of 1,312
  Can someone please explain in a simple way as to how the portapros, and bassy headphones like this are good for commuting. I have to explain it easily for someone who does not simply understand.

Quite simply the bass helps to drown out other low frequency noises like vehicle engines. Although the portapro itself does not seal that well there are many other closed back headphones that can reduce background noise by blocking a lot of it from entering your ears, much like a pair of ear muffs.

Nov 17, 2014 at 5:36 PM Post #573 of 1,312

Normally more bass helps drown out external noise. But the portapros have so little isolation that they don't block out external noise enough for me unless I blast the volume (which isn't something I want to do).

Edit: yeah, like chailee80 says lol!

Nov 17, 2014 at 5:44 PM Post #574 of 1,312

I had considered that, but they looked different enough to not be able to swap the band and I didn't want it to turn into an engineering clusterf^ck just to satisfy my curiosity. Plus it seems a bit crazy to spend $40 on a headband.

I also did the mod where the inner grilles are drilled out to open up the sound. That made a pretty subtle difference. I swapped those  modded grilles into my KSC75s and they sound pretty much the same.

I briefly tried the Portapros with the modded grilles and no pads to get an idea of their true "naked" potential. It still wasn't where I needed the top end to be.

Even though I don't like the KSC75 as clips, I'm starting to consider that it may be that very reason why I think they sound pretty good. Lightly resting on my ears instead of clamped to my skull. I tried the portapros on the lightest setting  with the band bent slightly to be pretty loose and the sound was better, but there comes a point where they're too loose to be practical.

I think its worth it if you're after something fairly cheap yet comfortable and great sounding. The ksc75 drivers have a much better top end but lacked bass when clipped onto my ears. Putting them in the headband presses them against my head more which increases the bass and still manages to maintain a fairly good top end.
I do remember reading on this forum that the sportapro uses the same driver as the ksc75, i'm not 100% sure if its true but it might be worth looking into as that would solve all your issues.

Nov 17, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #575 of 1,312
Having a pretty intense battle here on Youtube. I couldn't help myself. Check out the comments if you dare.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8v7f9JuZESM

Nov 17, 2014 at 8:56 PM Post #576 of 1,312
Having a pretty intense battle here on Youtube. I couldn't help myself. Check out the comments if you dare.

Sadly, I dared lol! Rather pointless argument since neither of you is going to convince the other.

As far/as/I am concerned, I prefer wearing less isolating iems when biking so that I can hear when a car is revving up it's engine to take me out. But in environments like the gym or on a bus where I want to hear as little external noise as possible, I need gear that isolates well (and the portapros dont come close to doing that for me).

Nov 17, 2014 at 9:03 PM Post #577 of 1,312

Sadly, I dared lol! Rather pointless argument since neither of you is going to convince the other.

As far/as/I am concerned, I prefer wearing less isolating iems when biking so that I can hear when a car is revving up it's engine to take me out. But in environments like the gym or on a bus where I want to hear as little external noise as possible, I need gear that isolates well (and the portapros dont come close to doing that for me).

I know I stopped. He just continued.

Nov 19, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #578 of 1,312

I have a pair of KSC75s that I really like the sound of, but I don't really like the clips. Does the Sportapro use the same driver as the KSC75? There seems to be some conflicting info on this. I have an email in to Koss, we'll see how they respond.

I received a response back from Koss today. From what they say, the KTXPRO1 uses the same drivers as the KSC75s do. The KTXPRO1 has a volume control which isn't ideal, but for $15 I'm going to get a pair off Amazon anyway.

There was no mention of the Sportapro, so that may add  to the rumors that they use the same drivers as the PortaPro.

Nov 19, 2014 at 9:51 PM Post #579 of 1,312

I received a response back from Koss today. From what they say, the KTXPRO1 uses the same drivers as the KSC75s do. The KTXPRO1 has a volume control which isn't ideal, but for $15 I'm going to get a pair off Amazon anyway.

There was no mention of the Sportapro, so that may add  to the rumors that they use the same drivers as the PortaPro.

Yeh i've just been checking the sportapro out on the koss website and they do not mention anything about titanium coated drivers like they do for the ktxpro1 and ksc75. However the driver specs are slightly different for the ktxpro1 and ksc75. The ktxpro1 has the same driver specs as the sportapro and the ksc75 has the same driver specs as the portapro lol so i'm a little confused still.

Nov 20, 2014 at 12:06 AM Post #580 of 1,312

Yeh i've just been checking the sportapro out on the koss website and they do not mention anything about titanium coated drivers like they do for the ktxpro1 and ksc75. However the driver specs are slightly different for the ktxpro1 and ksc75. The ktxpro1 has the same driver specs as the sportapro and the ksc75 has the same driver specs as the portapro lol so i'm a little confused still.

75's and ktxpro1's have the same driver.

ksc35 porta pro and sporta pro all have the same driver.

It's that simple.

Nov 20, 2014 at 12:26 PM Post #581 of 1,312

75's and ktxpro1's have the same driver.

ksc35 porta pro and sporta pro all have the same driver.

It's that simple.

It is known. And yet this confusion is constantly discussed. SMH....

And while we are at it, all the headbands, clips, etc. are all compatible with each other along with the PE headband (and similar UK version) and Yuin G1A clips from head-direct.

Nov 20, 2014 at 1:49 PM Post #582 of 1,312

It is known. And yet this confusion is constantly discussed. SMH....

And while we are at it, all the headbands, clips, etc. are all compatible with each other along with the PE headband (and similar UK version) and Yuin G1A clips from head-direct.

As well as the ancient Koss headphones headbands. The little portable jobs that came with orange ear cushions and very thin steel band with plastic L shaped fittments for the drivers. They are a snap in as well for all drivers. Usually can be found for nothing at Goodwill and other shops.

Nov 23, 2014 at 12:11 AM Post #583 of 1,312
Just an FYI. I was at KMART a couple weeks ago and they had 3 PortaPros in sealed factory packaging on closeout go $25. I bought one for the countless hours I spend in doctors appointments, hospitals & chemo sessions. They seem to be a good compromise between sound & portability.

Nov 23, 2014 at 4:40 PM Post #585 of 1,312

I received my pair of KTXPRO1 yesterday. These may use the ksc-75 drivers, but they look and feel like a $2.99 piece of plastic crap. They're not very comfortable, and Koss would have been smart to use an existing headband design to keep costs down instead of what they did.

They dont sound bad, but I'm convinced now that the magic of the KSC-75 lies in the loose fitting on the listeners ears. These PRO1s clamp more and sound a lot less airy and more muffled. Also, the earpads aren't easilly replaceable/modifiable because they are attached differently than the Portapros or KSC-75s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back