Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jan 17, 2020 at 7:57 AM Post #49,336 of 63,840
thanks for the info. I would say I have average size ears. I usually use small or medium tips.
I Would like to use IEMs without having to mod them. I would hate to damage them while attempting to mod them.

I understand your concern on mods however my only Mod outside the Tripowin cable was putting on the nozzle sleeve for tip extension which is not really a technical Mod in my opinion. Good luck on whatever you decide:beerchug:

Jan 17, 2020 at 9:25 PM Post #49,337 of 63,840
Anyone having both ZS7 & C10 able to share the comparison between those two? I'm itching to get one of them while waiting for my to C16 arrive...

I have both, and have used them to a fair degree.

While they might share similar internals [I think the CA4 might use the same ones as the ZS7, I can't remember], they are tuned very differently.

Starting from the outside, C10 is partially transparent, and comes in decent colours. I think that the aquamarine colour is better than the standard blue colour for the C10. It has a nice, tasteful contoured metal backplate that goes well with the aquamarine. It's surprisingly tasteful and attractive, overall. A little bit, but comfort is supreme for me. Only the BA5 beats it.

ZS-7 is much more awkward in shape, with strange angles and formations. It's 'heavily inspired' by the Campfire Andromeda design, which I am not sure is the most ergonomic. For me, anyway, the housing is huge, and it protrudes. I don't like using it mobile. It is also hard for me to get a great fit with the stock tips, and I had to use huge foams. The ZS-7 comes in cool colours, I got deep blue, it's pretty slick. It's metal and basically feels premium even if the fit is less-than-ideal.

They both have standard boring CCA/KZ tangle cables that have fine sound but are otherwise generic.

Now to talk about the sound: C10 is warm, thick, analog, somewhat acoustic, and somewhat relaxed. The ZS-7 is colourful, supercharged, expansive, detailed, and V-shaped.

They are very different, despite being relatives. Let me elaborate:

CCA C10

C10 is a rare bird in KZ/CCA tunings. It is midcentric, instead of large V-shape. The general sound of the mids comes through very strong, and vocals are even stronger. In fact, vocals are elevated and distinctly clear. C10 is one of the clearest IEMs for vocals in all of cheap Chi-Fi.

C10 has respectable bass, although it is not a bass monster. But it delivers the slam sometimes, and might surprise you.

It doesn't have supercharged treble, there isn't as much sound at the extremes, and there are no piercing highs. It's kind of rolled-off. It's more of a thick, 'medium' sound.

KZ ZS-7

The ZS-7 is much more 'colourful' at the high and low-end. Kind of a bass and treble cannon. First off, it's V-shaped, so the mids actually are recessed. People argue about how V-shaped it is, but it definitely is to a degree. This means that not only are mids recessed, but so are many vocals. Fortunately, mids are still clear, so you can still hear them okay.

Meanwhile, the treble is up there, and maybe sugary. It feels like the highs are boosted, without being too piercing. I know the ZS-6 had some highs that some thought were too much, and the ZS-7 was supposed to tone it down a bit.

The lows are great. There's a lot of punch and weight behind them. I think the sub-bass is pretty boosted. So it's going to deliver you a supercharged sound overall. The strong treble and bass interact well, although at the cost of the mids.

People have said it's like 'technicolour for sound,' and that's what I use it for. Some of the albums I like just don't come across as exciting enough on my IEMs, so I use the ZS-7. You use it to 'colour' your music, I think.

And the soundstage is surprisingly effective. Not with every song, but things that are supposed to sound like they are in a big area often do.

So they're very different IMHO. It depends what you are looking-for. All-rounder for long-term relaxed listening and clear vocals? Then you want the C10. Some find the C10's sound to be boring, and it kind of is, especially if you are used to the adrenalized IEMs. But I think it renders things like vocals and acoustic instruments more pleasantly than typical KZs in the sub-50 range.

And if you're looking for something maybe 'larger than life' to bring out the 'colour' in some of your albums, you can turn to the ZS-7.

Jan 17, 2020 at 10:33 PM Post #49,338 of 63,840

While they might share similar internals [I think the CA4 might use the same ones as the ZS7, I can't remember], they are tuned very differently.

Starting from the outside, C10 is partially transparent, and comes in decent colours. I think that the aquamarine colour is better than the standard blue colour for the C10. It has a nice, tasteful contoured metal backplate that goes well with the aquamarine. It's surprisingly tasteful and attractive, overall. A little bit, but comfort is supreme for me. Only the BA5 beats it.

ZS-7 is much more awkward in shape, with strange angles and formations. It's 'heavily inspired' by the Campfire Andromeda design, which I am not sure is the most ergonomic. For me, anyway, the housing is huge, and it protrudes. I don't like using it mobile. It is also hard for me to get a great fit with the stock tips, and I had to use huge foams. The ZS-7 comes in cool colours, I got deep blue, it's pretty slick. It's metal and basically feels premium even if the fit is less-than-ideal.

They both have standard boring CCA/KZ tangle cables that have fine sound but are otherwise generic.

Now to talk about the sound: C10 is warm, thick, analog, somewhat acoustic, and somewhat relaxed. The ZS-7 is colourful, supercharged, expansive, detailed, and V-shaped.

CCA C10

C10 is a rare bird in KZ/CCA tunings. It is midcentric, instead of large V-shape. The general sound of the mids comes through very strong, and vocals are even stronger. In fact, vocals are elevated and distinctly clear. C10 is one of the clearest IEMs for vocals in all of cheap Chi-Fi.

C10 has respectable bass, although it is not a bass monster. But it delivers the slam sometimes, and might surprise you.

It doesn't have supercharged treble, there isn't as much sound at the extremes, and there are no piercing highs. It's kind of rolled-off. It's more of a thick, 'medium' sound.

KZ ZS-7

The ZS-7 is much more 'colourful' at the high and low-end. Kind of a bass and treble cannon. First off, it's V-shaped, so the mids actually are recessed. People argue about how V-shaped it is, but it definitely is to a degree. This means that not only are mids recessed, but so are many vocals. Fortunately, mids are still clear, so you can still hear them okay.

Meanwhile, the treble is up there, and maybe sugary. It feels like the highs are boosted, without being too piercing. I know the ZS-6 had some highs that some thought were too much, and the ZS-7 was supposed to tone it down a bit.

The lows are great. There's a lot of punch and weight behind them. I think the sub-bass is pretty boosted. So it's going to deliver you a supercharged sound overall. The strong treble and bass interact well, although at the cost of the mids.

People have said it's like 'technicolour for sound,' and that's what I use it for. Some of the albums I like just don't come across as exciting enough on my IEMs, so I use the ZS-7. You use it to 'colour' your music, I think.

And the soundstage is surprisingly effective. Not with every song, but things that are supposed to sound like they are in a big area often do.

So they're very different IMHO. It depends what you are looking-for. All-rounder for long-term relaxed listening and clear vocals? Then you want the C10. Some find the C10's sound to be boring, and it kind of is, especially if you are used to the adrenalized IEMs. But I think it renders things like vocals and acoustic instruments more pleasantly than typical KZs in the sub-50 range.

And if you're looking for something maybe 'larger than life' to bring out the 'colour' in some of your albums, you can turn to the ZS-7.

Wow surprised you responding to this. Actually I went for the ZS7 but due to sharp edges on the build I had to let it go. Ultimately the only KZ I still keep and enjoy is ZS10 due to its build and engaging sound on contrary to what majority say that is weirdly shaped, sounded unbalanced and bass bloated.

Jan 17, 2020 at 10:35 PM Post #49,339 of 63,840
Yeah, the ZS7 has nice sound, but questionable housings. Interesting that you prefer the ZS10, but I have seen some people championing it over the Pro. I have the Pro, and it is fine, one of my mobile IEMs now.

Jan 18, 2020 at 1:09 AM Post #49,340 of 63,840
VA

CCA C10

KZ ZS-7

CA4 and older C04 are two-driver hybrids. CA4 is in between ZSN and ZSN pro in time line and drivers.
C04 is the first CCA IEM with the drivers of KZ ZSA, larger housing and milder V tuning.

Jan 18, 2020 at 8:19 PM Post #49,342 of 63,840
Hello guys, it's been a long time since I came on this thread. Did KZ release anything better than a ZS5 v1 with a comfortable enough housing ?

Wow, you’ve missed a lot if the last time you checked in on KZ was the ZS5 v1!

Since then, KZ even formed a 2nd company, called CCA. And between them they’ve probably released ~20 models since the ZS5 v1.

Lots of good releases since the ZS5 v1, depending on what kinda sound or features you’re after. That includes multi-BA hybrids with even more drivers than the ZS5, all-BA models, a few dynamics, etc.

Besides all of post-ZS5 models, they retuned/revised some older models, like a 2nd version of the ZS6, 2nd version of the ZST, 2nd version of the ED9, etc. They’re working on an all-BA with 18 drivers (9 per side).

Although, I must say that the ZS5 v1 is still looked upon by many as a very sought after KZ because it’s so good (with a low resistance upgrade cable, and a source that’s a great impedance match).

I will also mention to be aware of a few trolls that hang around the board, that will be very vocal that ‘all KZs are garbage’ and whatnot. Just use your own brain and your own ears to make your own determination and you’ll be fine.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2020 at 8:24 PM Post #49,343 of 63,840
Actually, the best Starlines are the ones from the ZS4 and ZS3E. I’d buy a suitcase full of them if I could find them sold separately.

You can get these Starlines for $17 a pair on Amazon, and they throw in extremely isolating earphones for free!

Jan 19, 2020 at 4:23 AM Post #49,344 of 63,840

CCA C10

KZ ZS-7

Couldn't have said it better myself! BTW, the C10 has 2x50060 and 2x30095 BAs (like the ZS10 and ZS10 Pro), ZS7 has 1x29869, 1x31005 and 2x30095, the same as the BA10.

Jan 19, 2020 at 8:47 AM Post #49,345 of 63,840

Since then, KZ even formed a 2nd company, called CCA. And between them they’ve probably released ~20 models since the ZS5 v1.

Lots of good releases since the ZS5 v1, depending on what kinda sound or features you’re after. That includes multi-BA hybrids with even more drivers than the ZS5, all-BA models, a few dynamics, etc.

Besides all of post-ZS5 models, they retuned/revised some older models, like a 2nd version of the ZS6, 2nd version of the ZST, 2nd version of the ED9, etc. They’re working on an all-BA with 18 drivers (9 per side).

Although, I must say that the ZS5 v1 is still looked upon by many as a very sought after KZ because it’s so good (with a low resistance upgrade cable, and a source that’s a great impedance match).

I will also mention to be aware of a few trolls that hang around the board, that will be very vocal that ‘all KZs are garbage’ and whatnot. Just use your own brain and your own ears to make your own determination and you’ll be fine.

Thank you for that detailed post of what happened since !

I'll be sure to check into the offering of CCA, from what I can gather there and there, some of them might be a good fit for me.

I have indeed a lot to catch up, thanks again for being so helpful !

Jan 19, 2020 at 4:52 PM Post #49,346 of 63,840

Hello Slater, I think you are the person who can answer this. Which BAs are used in the BQEYZ BQ3? I've looked on line and can't find any reference to them, just "3BA".

Jan 19, 2020 at 5:39 PM Post #49,347 of 63,840
Hello guys, it's been a long time since I came on this thread. Did KZ release anything better than a ZS5 v1 with a comfortable enough housing ?

As i speak for myself. I find the ZSX kicking... Sometimes i even prefer them more than the Blon's. But don't shout it out loud... Because Blon fanboys everywhere...:grinning:.
Which it doesn't say the Blon's are bad.. Love them also.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2020 at 6:09 PM Post #49,348 of 63,840
Hello Slater, I think you are the person who can answer this. Which BAs are used in the BQEYZ BQ3? I've looked on line and can't find any reference to them, just "3BA".

Unfortunately, I have not been able to figure out anything about them yet.

I've discussed what I know a few times though, so maybe it will be some help in solving the mystery:

Jan 19, 2020 at 8:18 PM Post #49,349 of 63,840
As i speak for myself. I find the ZSX kicking... Sometimes i even prefer them more than the Blon's. But don't shout it out loud... Because Blon fanboys everywhere...:grinning:.
Which it doesn't says the Blon's are bad.. Love them also.
I think there is a significant number of opinions that ZSX, C12, V90 win on technicalities over Blon, while Blon may be more musical. Blon and one out of thise three may represent one of the best ~$60 spent on ChiFi.

I do enjoy my Blon. For me C12 is preferable to Blon, while Blon is close to C10, and then C12 & Blon goes very well for fun & relaxed listening respectively.

Jan 19, 2020 at 8:25 PM Post #49,350 of 63,840
I think there is a significant number of opinions that ZSX, C12, V90 win on technicalities over Blon, while Blon may be more musical. Blon and one out of thise three may represent one of the best ~$60 spent on ChiFi.

I do enjoy my Blon. For me C12 is preferable to Blon, while Blon is close to C10, and then C12 & Blon goes very well for fun & relaxed listening respectively.

I concur absolutely. Though I don't have the ZSX, my take on it is that if you can afford two of the IEMs mentioned buy C12 and Blon. If you can only afford one, buy the V90.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back