Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jan 11, 2020 at 9:12 PM Post #49,306 of 63,966
In the last few days I have been enjoying the new version of ZS10 again. For me, it is the most neutral KZ, even if it does sound little odd.
(It sounds different from the original ZS10.)

There's a new ZS10 (non pro)? Other than sound, is there anything else that's different?

I sold away my ZS10 (non pro) cause it was too V shaped and the fit was uncomfortable, with a bad midbass bleed. But if there's a new tuning, I wouldn't mind checking it out.

Jan 12, 2020 at 2:42 AM Post #49,307 of 63,966
There's a new ZS10 (non pro)? Other than sound, is there anything else that's different?

I sold away my ZS10 (non pro) cause it was too V shaped and the fit was uncomfortable, with a bad midbass bleed. But if there's a new tuning, I wouldn't mind checking it out.

Hello folks,
I bought a new zs10 (blue one looks better with a silver cable) and find out, that there are two visible differences compared to the old one.
- different look of bass driver
- different placement of ba drivers and two of them are placed closer to the nozzle.

10314601_thumb.jpg

10314597_thumb.jpg

There can be more differences, this is my quick comparrison against web photos - I don't have the old zs10 for couple of weeks...
And I have a feeling, that the new one sounds more balanced. Treble peak is in a better place and the bass is better quality.

Tuning of this new ZS10 is rather U-shaped, than V-Shaped. Bass is more under control and Treble peak is at higher frequency. ZS10 still sounds best at higher volume.

EDIT: And the comparison of ZS10, AS10, BQEYZ K1
LOWS: K1 >= ZS10 > AS10
MIDS: K1 > AS10 > ZS10
HEIGHS: K1 > ZS10 > AS10
SOUNDSTAGE: K1 > ZS10 > AS10
IMAGING: K1 > AS10 > ZS10
~K1 beats almost all my KZ iems, maybe except AS12. It is also very balanced~

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2020 at 1:04 PM Post #49,308 of 63,966
In my case zs10 sound like L-shape: big bass and a bit mid+high.
:)

Jan 12, 2020 at 4:14 PM Post #49,309 of 63,966
Tuning of this new ZS10 is rather U-shaped, than V-Shaped. Bass is more under control and Treble peak is at higher frequency. ZS10 still sounds best at higher volume.

EDIT: And the comparison of ZS10, AS10, BQEYZ K1
LOWS: K1 >= ZS10 > AS10
MIDS: K1 > AS10 > ZS10
HEIGHS: K1 > ZS10 > AS10
SOUNDSTAGE: K1 > ZS10 > AS10
IMAGING: K1 > AS10 > ZS10
~K1 beats almost all my KZ iems, maybe except AS12. It is also very balanced~

wow so you really like the BQEYZ K1. Dang. That’s cool.
Let me ask you a question please.
I just received the BQEYZ BQ3. And I like the sound signature of them.
Slightly V shaped but not too much.
They are very nice for EDM and Jazz.
Are the K1 similar to the BQ3 ?
Also I have the KB100. How do those sound in comparison to the K1?
Thank you.

Jan 13, 2020 at 12:21 AM Post #49,310 of 63,966
What does removing grill from the nozzle do to sound on zs7, before I try it? I'm thinking it could make the sound more coherent by clearing the sound path and preventing reflections... I don't really worry about stuff getting in there either because my earwax does not form chunks and stays wet.

Jan 13, 2020 at 2:10 AM Post #49,311 of 63,966
What does removing grill from the nozzle do to sound on zs7, before I try it? I'm thinking it could make the sound more coherent by clearing the sound path and preventing reflections... I don't really worry about stuff getting in there either because my earwax does not form chunks and stays wet.

I dont have ZS7 but be careful of shrilling and shouty from high mids area, also there are a lot things can go inside the shell that way, better to keep your grill on. KZs dont put dampers behind the grill usually so sonically they wont change much but you are risking your ZS7 that way.

Jan 13, 2020 at 2:12 AM Post #49,312 of 63,966
I dont have ZS7 but be careful of shrilling and shouty from high mids area, also there are a lot things can go inside the shell that way, better to keep your grill on. KZs dont put dampers behind the grill usually so sonically they wont change much but you are risking your ZS7 that way.
Got gifted this pair so I won't be too unhappy if it dies. They make a good beater pair of iems but it's hard to get over the bad timbre compared to my etys. Once you look past that they have surprisingly good resolution tho.

Jan 13, 2020 at 3:33 AM Post #49,313 of 63,966
Got gifted this pair so I won't be too unhappy if it dies. They make a good beater pair of iems but it's hard to get over the bad timbre compared to my etys. Once you look past that they have surprisingly good resolution tho.

Kz timbre are infamous, name it metallic, steely, yeah there is nothing we cant change much for timbre, do put 3m micropore stripe on nozzle grill maybe help a bit. As fas as i remember KZ7 timbre from what i heard isnt as bad as zs10 pro, but yeah, newer generation have better timbre, like ZSX. Get BLon BL 03 if you want they have great timbre for budget price, or bqeyz kb100 or something else. There are plenty of good iem under $50 currently

Jan 13, 2020 at 3:39 AM Post #49,314 of 63,966
Kz timbre are infamous, name it metallic, steely, yeah there is nothing we cant change much for timbre, do put 3m micropore stripe on nozzle grill maybe help a bit. As fas as i remember KZ7 timbre from what i heard isnt as bad as zs10 pro, but yeah, newer generation have better timbre, like ZSX. Get BLon BL 03 if you want they have great timbre for budget price, or bqeyz kb100 or something else. There are plenty of good iem under $50 currently
I think there is actually a small improvement from removing the filter. It's subtle but nice. The actual drivers don't seem to open directly into the nozzle so there isn't as much risk of getting something in them.

Jan 13, 2020 at 2:34 PM Post #49,315 of 63,966
ahhh. I thought those looked like ZSXs. But I don’t remember my ZSX’s having a 12 on the face plate.
Is that a 12 ?
Man I must be getting old. If my ZSX have a 12 on the front and I didn’t even notice. Hahahahaha
Dang now I need to check because I might be going senile. Lololol
There's a "12 Hybrid" on each of the ZSX earphones. I kind of wish there wasn't. It'd look much nicer without text on the faceplate. I want to try removing it with a little bit of acetone, but I don't want to wreck the finish or accidentaly melt some of the plastic housing either.

Jan 13, 2020 at 6:08 PM Post #49,316 of 63,966
I still love the ZS7

Here here Mr. Panda:beerchug: KZ has come a long way since my beloved ED9's but to this day they are still some of the best bang for your buck IMHO of any Chi-Fi iem going. This trio makes heavy rotation these days and all can challenge like iem's as much as 3 times there cost:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

EcstaKZ.JPG

Jan 13, 2020 at 9:35 PM Post #49,318 of 63,966
Anyone still using zs6? I want to ask, how to thighten my female port of dual pin on zs6? Mine was loose , it will loose signal when I move the iem on my ear. I always use 0.75pin for mine. Thx :D

You can just splay the pins of the cable very slightly.

Or you could tin the pins of the cable with a very thin and even coating of solder.

But splaying the pins of the cable is the easiest method.

Jan 13, 2020 at 9:50 PM Post #49,319 of 63,966
You can just splay the pins of the cable very slightly.

Or you could tin the pins of the cable with a very thin and even coating of solder.

But splaying the pins of the cable is the easiest method.
Ah I see , but actually I want to sell mine for upgrade. I already thighten my female zs6 port using pinset, it grip my cable well , but still loose signal sometimes? Maybe the female port isn't the main issue?

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2020 at 9:59 PM Post #49,320 of 63,966
Ah I see , but actually I want to sell mine for upgrade. I already thighten my female zs6 port, it grip my cable well , but still loose signal sometimes? Maybe the female port isn't the main issue?

If it’s gripping it well, then the problem could be something else. It could be that the cable is going bad. You can try a different cable to see if it fixes the problem.

Or it could be that something doesn’t have good connection inside the shell (once you remove the back cover). This is less likely though, and if this was the case it would have acted funny (cutting out) right out of the box from the factory.

It could be something else, like a driver going bad. Which can happen if you dropped the ZS6 against a hard surface like concrete, tile floor, granite countertop, hard table top, etc.

If it was me, I would start with changing the cable. It’s the fastest, simplest, and easiest thing to try.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back