Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
May 3, 2019 at 4:12 PM Post #43,711 of 63,966
May 3, 2019 at 4:57 PM Post #43,712 of 63,966
C16 too clinical sounding...great detail, but for someone with my sound signature preferences, a tad boring...

May 3, 2019 at 5:27 PM Post #43,714 of 63,966
So I’ve spent a few days with the ZS10 Pro, and KZ did a really good job with these. I like it a lot.

These have almost an identical signature to the ZS7. In fact, my ZS10 Pro crossover circuit boards actually say “ZS7” on them! Also, my FR measurements are identical between the 2, with 1 exception: treble.

The ZS7 had a very safe and tame treble, which I believe KZ did because of the ZS6 backlash. However, the ZS7 are a bit too dialed down and distant for me. As much as I love the ZS7, I always wished it had some more treble energy. Well, the ZS10 Pro is just that.

The bass is very deep and punchy. Soundstage is good. I am going to see if it can opened up even further with modding, so stay tuned on that.

There’s a midrange peak at 2k and again at 4k, which give vocals a nice warmth and forwardness. Mids are more forward, which makes vocals come alive. Lead singers sound like they’re properly in front of the band, not the other way around.

Now, I know some people dislike those upper mid/lower treble bumps, but that’s a matter of personal preference. I for one prefer those upper mid/lower treble bumps.

So now into treble. There’s good clarity and air. Plenty of treble energy, but not sharp or aggressive. It’s just the perfect amount IMO.

Bang up job KZ!

So bottom line is if you totally hate the ZS7, then you won’t like the ZS10 Pro. It’s basically the same, plus extra treble. However, if you like the ZS7, but wished it had more treble, then you’ll definitely like these.

If you don’t own either, then I would go with how sensitive you are to treble. If you are ultra sensitive, then go with the ZS7. If you like treble and clarity, go with the ZS10 Pro.
You really can’t go wrong with either, unless you hate phones with upper mid/lower treble emphasis.

I liked the ZS10 Pro so much I bought a 2nd pair. I’ve been enjoying them more than the CCA C16, which says a lot. I’m still tip rolling and playing with the C16, so I reserve the right to change that opinion. But right now the ZS10 Pro has shot to the top of my favorite KZ IEM list.

Full disclosure, I am using both ZS7 and ZS10 Pro with Auvio tips, upgraded cables, and amp. I also relocated the ZS10 Pro crossover circuit board to the ‘side pocket’ of the shell, exactly like I did with the ZSN.

Anyways, YMMV.

I'm totally agree with your analyse. I add two more difference. After try with one at the left and one at the right.
Clearly very very similar

Zs10 pro have better soundstage. More wider
Better separation, Clearly
I listen this upper mid-range which is appreciate. Zs7 have slightly more sub bass.
I try With a YouTube vidéo 20/20khz and same thing that your graph.

Need a comparison with c10 which have similar difference except soundstage. But i don't have with me, I go on holiday and c10 is not with me, I prefer zs7.

It's impressive because with the same hardware ( zs10/c10/zs10 pro) we have very big difference and with kz zs7 which is different we have similar sound

May 3, 2019 at 5:41 PM Post #43,715 of 63,966
I found zs10Pro to have less subbass, but bigger soundstage, imaging, better clarity and layering. More laid back and airy treble, but less energetic. Clearer and more fwd mids.

I'm totally agree with your analyse. I add two more difference. After try with one at the left and one at the right.
Clearly very very similar

Zs10 pro have better soundstage. More wider
Better separation, Clearly
I listen this upper mid-range which is appreciate. Zs7 have slightly more sub bass.
I try With a YouTube vidéo 20/20khz and same thing that your graph.

Need a comparison with c10 which have similar difference except soundstage. But i don't have with me, I go on holiday and c10 is not with me, I prefer zs7.

It's impressive because with the same hardware ( zs10/c10/zs10 pro) we have very big difference and with kz zs7 which is different we have similar sound

May 3, 2019 at 5:52 PM Post #43,716 of 63,966
May 3, 2019 at 6:10 PM Post #43,717 of 63,966
May 3, 2019 at 6:13 PM Post #43,718 of 63,966
I felt the ZS10 Pro may have a bit of emptiness in the middle (mids), but I was coming from the ZS7. Now, it seems to be better. I even used the ZS7 on one side while having the ZS10 Pro on the other side with my balanced cable and they have a slight difference but otherwise, mids are fine. Vocals are definitely not as forward as with the ZS7, and I had to get used to listening to tracks that I listened already with the ZS7.

May 3, 2019 at 6:35 PM Post #43,719 of 63,966
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/kz-zs10-pro-build-to-rival-everything-sound-to-rival-nothing.905995/

This person says his zs10 pro is almost unlistenable with recessed mids and bad imaging. Wonder if he received a defective unit.

Well, his/her opinion is just as valid as the next person’s.

Perhaps his/her pair has some wiring issue (like out of phase drivers like @mbwilson111 mentioned). Or it’s paired with a poor source. Or some QC problem (one of my 2 sets has glue drips that’s actually blocking 1 of the BAs).

Maybe he/she just doesn’t like the sound signature.

Regardless, the fact that he mentioned EarPods and other earphones bundled with phones as examples of good gear really makes me go hmmm

F847DBB3-C3AA-41A4-8E3D-8CE983648452.gif

Last edited:
May 3, 2019 at 8:15 PM Post #43,720 of 63,966
Have the newer KZ Bluetooth cables started shipping yet? <-< I've apparently reached a satisfactory enough middle ground with the BT20's pinch that I'm now being sporadically annoyed by the battery case creak-rubbing against my glasses and am thus still not entirely certain I'm keeping them forever and ever amen (or at least until I lose/replace my CCA C10s and thus potentially swap cable connector types) but Murphy's Law says if I buy a TRN BT10/BT3 before reviews come in it's gonna' be the KZ ZSN/CCA C10 situation all over again but in a less useful/backup/cheap-ish fashion. :p

May 3, 2019 at 8:16 PM Post #43,721 of 63,966
May 3, 2019 at 11:58 PM Post #43,722 of 63,966
Banned things can’t be openly discussed on the forums, nor reviewed on HeadFi. Do you see me discussing or reviewing the banned stuff? Nope.

The Admins are very clear about the banned products, and they have never told me they couldn’t be listed in our profiles. If they do, then I’ll happily comply and remove the info.

There’s a lot of stuff in my profile. I’m not ‘advertising’ anything. I’m here for the same reason as everyone else - to share and discuss audio.

And why on earth would you think I’m an employee of HeadFi? I own my own company and am my own boss. I am no one’s employee.

I aggregated the banned info in my signature because the board doesn’t have any sticky posts. It was to help and inform people, which your attack isn’t helpful or informative.

Is there any reason you’re trying to start trouble?
I think you are over thinking my post. I mentioned a brand that I didnt know was banned on Headfi. I then was told to look at your profile to find which brands were banned which I couldn't find. I then noticed the brand I was told was not to be discussed by me or anyone else listed on your profile and I found that amusing since its banned on Headfi. I never attacked you or anyone else. I was just mentioning what I had found. Common sense says to me if something is banned it shouldn't be talked about in any way.

Last edited:
May 4, 2019 at 12:38 AM Post #43,724 of 63,966
To cool down the hype : KZ5v2 was more or less the same as the KZ6 because soundstage was slightly diminished (I like soundstage!)
Sme prefer the KZ6 to the KZ7 due to highs, and KZ ZS10 pro seems to have worked on it.

For the most part, these seem lIke marginal upgrades. I will wait and see the AS16 reviews but so far, I'm happy with the **** as my companion and don't regret not buying the KZ7. Wait and see! :)

May 4, 2019 at 12:40 AM Post #43,725 of 63,966
I think you are over thinking my post. I mentioned a brand that I didnt know was banned on Headfi. I then was told to look at your profile to find which brands were banned which I couldn't find. I then noticed the brand I was told was not to be discussed by me or anyone else listed on your profile and I found that amusing since its banned on Headfi. I never attacked you or anyone else. I was just mentioning what I had found. Common sense says to me if something is banned it shouldn't be talked about in any way.
I kinda agree but I think therein lies the problem with outright banning of the discussions of certain companies and brands. I have seen many of these banned brands and companies on Amazon, ebay and Ali. Many headfiers shop on these platforms and will come across these brands and companies in their search to find gear. As members of the community, it's only natural that they will reach out to other headfi members and ask questions about a possible new purchase. To be told that "we can't talk about or mention this brand/company here", is a bit heavy handed, imho. Why not just say, " I/we don't recommend you buy from this brand/company"...and here's why we feel this way. Then, allow the member to make their own decision. I'm not a big fan of any organization that imposes their moral values on everyone else. Banning people, companies, brands, models, etc from discussions because a few headfonious supremus didn't like how they did business, doesn't go towards answering the question of "how does the banned brand model A compare with the non-banned brand model B? The banned brand may have better build and sound quality, but because the overlords decided to ban it, no one will ever have the opportunity to even compare or discuss it on this site. I feel a better approach would be to allow people to talk about these brands, and then insert a link to a thread that warns against the supposed wrongdoings of the brand/company in question. That way, people can still discuss their gear or ask for recommendations without fear of being banned themselves. Personally, I think it's a kinder and more inclusive approach.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back