Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Oct 3, 2018 at 6:13 PM Post #36,766 of 63,916
I think they're very tip-sensitive. Best two tips I've found for my ears are Auvio wide-bores and Complys. No sibilance issues with either in my experience

I immediately moved to wide bore Tenmarks and added a EQ to downplay the highs. After a month or so, I started reducing my EQ. I guess harshness is very track and brain dependant. After a while, your brain equalizes :D
Comfort was the most terrible issue that I got used to after several weeks.
In between all of this, I was listening to the IT01s and soundstage is the only thing that kept me giving the KZ5 another chance. In the end, I'm glad I did.

Thanks for your words.
I tamed down the treble this evening putting cheap foam tips bought from aliexpress.
Treble went down hard and it's now a bit more pleasant, but i feel i miss now the detail i had.
So i'm gonna try some tip rolling tomorrow as i have like 20 different tips from many other headphones.
Atm i wanna try without EQing as my DAP is cheap and only has pre-set EQs.

Oct 3, 2018 at 6:16 PM Post #36,767 of 63,916
So after some time spent with my ZS10 I can now give some more thoughts.

Firstly after not being completely happy with the fit of the large Spinfits I Switched to the tips from my urbanfun and what a result it was, much better isolation and sound wise...........

Firstly bass....well it's are simply gorgeous,
Deep bass, and sub bass are some of the best I've heard, terrific clarity and so easy to pick out certain lines and notes, all wrapped in warmth.

Mids are slightly up front with a lovely warm tone and you can feel the singer placed definitely centre stage, very pleasurable indeed

And then the treble.
Oodles of clarity which extends really far but with no sibilance at all, and perfectly rolled off at the right place.

From my experience I'd call them an upside down little U shape, while being very warm and airy, which brings me to soundstage.
Which is big and wide, easy to pick out instrument placement with plenty of atmosphere thrown in.
Plus I love the way that they wrap your music up in a nice warm comfortable blanket with very liquid esq mids.

So in summary they are easily the best KZ I've heard, and I've heard an few!
Very happy with them indeed, extremely happy indeed.
Unlike orhwrs, I also loved the ZS10. I use Comply tips with all my iems. I've tried different silicone tips, Symbio hybrids. I just DON'T like the audio presentation provided by silicone, so it's foam all the way. Comply foam maintains the best audio properties IMO. Other foam tips definitely provide a muddy signature. Anyway, ZS10 was my favorite until I purchased the AS10. mid forward but in a pleasant way. The ZS10 are more relaxing. AS10 is a pleasant step up. They are both awesome for different reasons.

Oct 3, 2018 at 6:18 PM Post #36,768 of 63,916
Thanks for your words.
I tamed down the treble this evening putting cheap foam tips bought from aliexpress.
Treble went down hard and it's now a bit more pleasant, but i feel i miss now the detail i had.
So i'm gonna try some tip rolling tomorrow as i have like 20 different tips from many other headphones.
Comply foam tips do a much better job of not totally degrading the audio. Not all foam is created equal. FYI, the smartcore one size fits most tips are only $9.99 on Amazon, so half the price of most of the Comply tips

Oct 3, 2018 at 6:22 PM Post #36,769 of 63,916
Zs6 arrived at me.
Connected immediately to my dap.
I have to say: they seem quite good, but sibilance is really killing my ears with stocks tips

Do you think zs6 is tip sensitive?

I'm gonna try foam tips at home but for now i can't appreciate the detail as the piercing highs are destroying everything.
At least i can say some impression about the bass: very good bass, sub-bass is good and it's there when needed, not overwhelming.
Mids are ok and soundstage is wow.
Gonna test more asap.

Thanks for your words.

HERE (zs6 tip rolling section) you can find FR graphs of zs6 when using different tips. foam was the most effective to tame 8 & 10kHz peaks, without altering the rest of frequencies. but cheap foams (no silicon tube inside) are useless in this regard.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2018 at 6:35 PM Post #36,770 of 63,916
My BA10s arrived Monday and have been comparing them to the AS10s and TFZ Queen. It's been tough, mostly enjoyable, but somewhat frustrating. I used both silicone and foam tips. The AS10 sounds good (a bit high on the treble but no sibilance) but seal well and feel comfortable. Great bass and mids. I don't really like the plastic build though. They look okay but feel kinda cheap. The BA10 is definitely well made and sounds a bit more refined than the AS10 but very similar. The shape of the iem is okay. As many have stated and speculated, the Bender/Ironman shape is awkward. It's not horribly uncomfortable but you definitely feel like you need to reset them to seal almost every time you move. The ZS6 does this to me as well so I might work for some. I tried foam and silicone tips for medium and large sizes. I did order some double flange and spin fits but I really question if the treble will be too high with silicone. So far it has been so I'm not sure what to expect. I'd say go for AS10 if you're worried about fitting. They aren't much different soundwise. And finally, the TFZ Queen sounds really full being a single dynamic driver. It can get muddy on some songs and the soundstage cannot compete with the multiple dd/ba in some iems like KZ's flagships. Still, it does sound really awesome in most situations and the fit and build quality is excellent! Once you insert them, you don't have to readjust the seal for several hours. I've never used more comfortable iems. TFZ seems to have some really great stuff. Might be worth investigating who are looking for a step up from KZ but don't want to pay several hundred dollars for the adventure. And yes, you can compare it to ibasso but don't have to deal with the fragile mmcx connections and plastic iem housing. I should be getting the Fiio FH5 this Friday which is supposed to be in another league but we'll see. I am reluctant of some other iems (including Fiio due to the mmcx connections) because of past experiences with them being rather fragile. I'll fill y'all in if the spin fits or double flanged tips help with the sound or seal of the BA10, AS10, or even my ZS6 as well. They should be here by the weekend as well. Hope this might help some get some perspective on KZ's latest and greatest!

Oct 3, 2018 at 6:38 PM Post #36,772 of 63,916
Unlike orhwrs, I also loved the ZS10. I use Comply tips with all my iems. I've tried different silicone tips, Symbio hybrids. I just DON'T like the audio presentation provided by silicone, so it's foam all the way. Comply foam maintains the best audio properties IMO. Other foam tips definitely provide a muddy signature. Anyway, ZS10 was my favorite until I purchased the AS10. mid forward but in a pleasant way. The ZS10 are more relaxing. AS10 is a pleasant step up. They are both awesome for different reasons.

Absolutely. AS10 is on my bucket list as we speak.
I'm the opposite and don't use foam as they aren't really cost effective and take too long to get in the ear when you're out and about.
But either way yes the ZS10 are awesome.

Oct 3, 2018 at 11:14 PM Post #36,773 of 63,916
Ive just ordered the as10 with the new 8 core trn cable.. really excited to pair those together!

Im hoping someone here can recommend a really large size wide bore silicon tip. The whirlwind size large are still smaller than I'd like. I have big ears I think, even the ZS10 fit nicely in my ear haha

Oct 4, 2018 at 12:20 AM Post #36,776 of 63,916
Has anyone tried the pizen Bluetooth cable or should I wait for the trn bt3 0.75 version to come back in stock? I dont like the dangling button and microphone on the trn bt10 version

I think it's the same thing as the TRN BT3. I have both the bt3 and bt10 and the dangling parts on bt10 can be annoying. I just tuck them into my shirt so no big deal. If you grab the TRN BT3, just make sure it's the aptx version if needed. There is no visual way to tell them apart from the older version except the packaging or when connected to your device. I believe the newer one is BT 4.2 as well verses 4.1

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2018 at 1:42 AM Post #36,777 of 63,916
Comply foam tips do a much better job of not totally degrading the audio. Not all foam is created equal. FYI, the smartcore one size fits most tips are only $9.99 on Amazon, so half the price of most of the Comply tips

HERE (zs6 tip rolling section) you can find FR graphs of zs6 when using different tips. foam was the most effective to tame 8 & 10kHz peaks, without altering the rest of frequencies. but cheap foams (no silicon tube inside) are useless in this regard.

this kind of affordable ali foam tips work ok, @nxnje

Woah guys, you're great.
Didn't think tip rolling stuff had already been discussed and measured.
I love you all
Bless

Oct 4, 2018 at 4:05 AM Post #36,778 of 63,916
Hope this might help some get some perspective on KZ's latest and greatest!

This was really helpful, thanks! I'm looking forward to your comparison of the KZ lineup to your incoming Fiio.

I own the KZ ZS5 and a bunch of older forum favourites (Vsonic GR07 CCE, Hifiman RE0, Sony MH1c, Xiaomi Piston 2 etc) and think the ZS5 sounds excellent for the money. I now am looking for something that will be a step up from the GR07 CCE, which is still the best budget IEM I've had for my taste in music (extreme metal). I'm torn between either another budget IEM (KZ AS10, BA10) or the new Fiio. :)

Oct 4, 2018 at 4:11 AM Post #36,779 of 63,916
Absolutely. AS10 is on my bucket list as we speak.
I'm the opposite and don't use foam as they aren't really cost effective and take too long to get in the ear when you're out and about.
But either way yes the ZS10 are awesome.
That's interesting. I actually never have to squish foams. I can just put them in, so I don't have to wait. I also don't have the issue of the tips breaking down fast eirhei. I guess I'm just lucky on that front. I don't like deep inswrioin, so I buy the Comply round foam tips and simply put them in enough to get a little seal.

Oct 4, 2018 at 4:11 AM Post #36,780 of 63,916
This was really helpful, thanks! I'm looking forward to your comparison of the KZ lineup to your incoming Fiio.

I own the KZ ZS5 and a bunch of older forum favourites (Vsonic GR07 CCE, Hifiman RE0, Sony MH1c, Xiaomi Piston 2 etc) and think the ZS5 sounds excellent for the money. I now am looking for something that will be a step up from the GR07 CCE, which is still the best budget IEM I've had for my taste in music (extreme metal). I'm torn between either another budget IEM (KZ AS10, BA10) or the new Fiio. :)
Then think of rather TFZ (king, King Pro, Ex.King), FiiO or IT01 ...money better placed as SQ, BQ, QC are superior to KZs latest offerings imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back