Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Oct 2, 2018 at 2:03 PM Post #36,736 of 63,834
What tips have you tried?
stock starlines, and old grey starlines (these are on now). i don't want to use foam (some treble would be missed). i'm going to try others, thanks.
short wide tips might be the solution (purchased a new batch, in transit), but the result is shallow on my ears and the iems tend to slip out. they are not comfy anyway.
noticed they sound better at low volume (but i use to listen louder), and they are not forgiving with too compressed audio or bad recordings. trying them again now..

Oct 2, 2018 at 2:07 PM Post #36,737 of 63,834
stock starlines, and old grey starlines (these are on now). i don't want to use foam (some treble would be missed). i'm going to try others, thanks.
short wide tips might be the solution (purchased a new batch, in transit), but the result is shallow on my ears and the iems tend to slip out. they are not comfy anyway.
noticed they sound better at low volume (but i use to listen louder), and they are not forgiving with too compressed audio or bad recordings. trying them again now..

In similar situations I often end up using Spinfits.

Oct 2, 2018 at 2:18 PM Post #36,738 of 63,834
In similar situations I often end up using Spinfits.
thanks. i've got some spinfits, but my experience with them is bassier sound and loss of treble, so not a good solution for my bassy as10.
spiral dots (with or without foam added inside) use to be my end rolling tips, gonna try them

Oct 2, 2018 at 2:44 PM Post #36,739 of 63,834
tempted to try another as10, to check coherence with my unit, which is too midbassy. dunno if it is due to QC, given the reviews i've read/watch lately..

People using different tips, source, music can also explain it.

X using: small bore silicon tips, random smartphone (high output impedance), listening to mostly rap/hip-hop/pop
Y using: large bore silicon tips, FiiO X7 MKII (low output impedance), listening to mostly rock/metal/jazz
Z using: foam tips and a variation between X and Y

That's why most of the time is kind of useless to me reading impressions if you don't know the reviewer's musical taste, the source he is using and tips. I usually try to find my "twin-ear" which has most similarities with my own taste and gear. Otherwise, you need to take a huge amount of salt. But ofc, KZ's QC can be a variable too.

Also, it's kinda funny reading Campfire Andromeda's reviews. All people are aware of the changes of output impedance and what it can cause regarding on its SQ (in some cases it's a literal disaster), but when it's chi-fi multi-BA people throw it to any source and expect they will sound identical, lol.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2018 at 3:06 PM Post #36,740 of 63,834
Anyone interested in getting an AS10 or ZS6 cheap should listen up.

GearBest flash sale right now until they're gone.

AS10 @ $40
https://m.gearbest.com/earphones/pp_009119292742.html?wid=1433363

KZ Case @ $1
https://m.gearbest.com/headphone-accessories/pp_009510486007.html?wid=1433363

KZ ZS6 @ $35 (black only)
https://m.gearbest.com/earbud-headphones/pp_770863.html?wid=1101231

Better cable @ $7
https://m.gearbest.com/headphone-accessories/pp_009383076703.html?wid=1433363

Pick up KZ's best cheap on GearBest then order your TRN cables on AliExpress @ $10.49 a set. Wait for your stuff to arrive and your golden for less than $50 for an entire set-up (IEM, cable & case).

TRN cables @ $10.49
https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32931...&terminal_id=cbb64a9d5f47470389347423475ddb52

Damn you... 40$ poorer now...
This is a disease!

Oct 2, 2018 at 3:51 PM Post #36,742 of 63,834
Well after much deliberation and mind changes i finally have a pair of the ZS10 in the all red version.

Only just got in and unboxed them.
And I am currently listening to some Live Bowie.

So far and obviously very early days at the moment but so far these are real nice.
Using large Spinfits on the lipless nozzle......(don't like that mind), but aside from that I'm liking the sound.
Nice upfront vocals with a very warm and rounded sound.
More thoughts to follow.......

Oct 2, 2018 at 4:26 PM Post #36,743 of 63,834
guess it will work (both 0.75mm 2pins, i think), but haven't tried. anyway, why would yo do that? trn v80 stock cable is as bad or even worse than zs6's. the new cheap trn cable could be an affordable upgrade instead.

Didn't think v80 cable was so bad.
I thought zs6's one was way worse than it.

Oct 2, 2018 at 6:40 PM Post #36,744 of 63,834
Didn't think v80 cable was so bad.
I thought zs6's one was way worse than it.

Actually I am one of the few that likes the rubbery grippy cable of the ZS6.. Not sure why.. probably because is one of the only cables that provides a good microphone quality (the remote calling microphone, not talking about micorphonics).
Man.. why the hell all the cables with microphones are so bad.. I would really like to have a nice call with my girlfriend listening to her voice trough the beauty and details of the zs6 or v80s.. but no chance.. she can never properly listen to me..

Oct 2, 2018 at 6:43 PM Post #36,745 of 63,834
i actually hear the bass on the zs4 as a little more sculpted than that on the zs5, tho i'm otherwise in accord--i'm also struggling to find the correct tips, since as you note neither foams nor stock silicons tame that unruly treble--anyone have suggestions?

I'm currently experimenting with the foam ZST mod to the ZS4's BA. I think that will do the trick. I will post results when I'm done.

Oct 2, 2018 at 7:15 PM Post #36,748 of 63,834
I just did mock vent on zs3 to reduce bass by slipping paper between nozzles and tips, it did reduce the bass but the peaky 5k treble become more pronounced. Unless I eq'ed it I rather prefer the stock sound.

Oct 2, 2018 at 8:25 PM Post #36,749 of 63,834
I just did mock vent on zs3 to reduce bass by slipping paper between nozzles and tips, it did reduce the bass but the peaky 5k treble become more pronounced. Unless I eq'ed it I rather prefer the stock sound.

If you want to reduce bass, just drill a small hole (perpendicular) in the nozzle using a twist drill and a micro drill bit.

Just make sure none of the eartip covers the hole. Also make sure no plastic shavings falls down into the IEM. Also make sure you do it on the opposite side as the BA.

I would try a 0.2mm hole. If that is not enough, increment by 0.1mm (ie 0.3mm, then 0.4mm, then 0.5mm). I would not go larger than 0.5mm.

If you don't like the results, you can simply cover the hole using tape or a dab of epoxy.

Oct 2, 2018 at 10:29 PM Post #36,750 of 63,834
Quick question: both the ZS6 and ZS10 use .75 mm 2 pin, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back