Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Oct 3, 2018 at 1:11 AM Post #36,752 of 63,916
...since as you note neither foams nor stock silicons tame that unruly treble--anyone have suggestions?
no tips help.... been punishing my ZS4 with power and tried different tips - still BA highs are untamed, harsh, sibilant and "tsss tsss tsss" same thing with all the cymbals. Pity, as I find ZS4 DD sound pretty good, especially the well controlled bass.

Oct 3, 2018 at 2:17 AM Post #36,753 of 63,916
Actually I am one of the few that likes the rubbery grippy cable of the ZS6.. Not sure why.. probably because is one of the only cables that provides a good microphone quality (the remote calling microphone, not talking about micorphonics).
Man.. why the hell all the cables with microphones are so bad.. I would really like to have a nice call with my girlfriend listening to her voice trough the beauty and details of the zs6 or v80s.. but no chance.. she can never properly listen to me..

I always ask the same every time

Oct 3, 2018 at 3:01 AM Post #36,754 of 63,916
Hi everyone.

I’ve had KZ ZSAs for a while now. I’ve noticed that the right earpiece now misses some treble (not even that much, but noticeable when wearing both). Do you guys think that my balanced armature is not working? And if this is the case, how do I reach it after opening the shell? Just desolder the DD and brutally extract it?

Oct 3, 2018 at 5:05 AM Post #36,755 of 63,916
9938812_l.jpg

ZS4 has new and different driver than ZS3. Not sure but I think this is the first green-shelled KZ driver. Also it has 2 tiny resistors on DD PCB.
To me it seems BA is installed parallel with DD (dd is first in array).

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2018 at 7:40 AM Post #36,756 of 63,916
no tips help.... been punishing my ZS4 with power and tried different tips - still BA highs are untamed, harsh, sibilant and "tsss tsss tsss" same thing with all the cymbals. Pity, as I find ZS4 DD sound pretty good, especially the well controlled bass.
per mellowship the fake comply foams seem to work the best, tho they slightly veil the treble--gotta keep rolling, since i sense there's a good iem in there. i'm anxious to see what slater comes up with when he dissembles them.

Oct 3, 2018 at 8:04 AM Post #36,757 of 63,916
per mellowship the fake comply foams seem to work the best, tho they slightly veil the treble--gotta keep rolling, since i sense there's a good iem in there. i'm anxious to see what slater comes up with when he dissembles them.
Maybe changing resistor values would help but then You would need low-power soldering station to not damage DD pcb layer and overheat driver.
But like I said, that BA seems (to my ears) to have "dissected" fr from DD and just covering BA hole with foam etc. won`t help to fix it. It tames "tss tss" sibilance but doesn`t make it more coherent and smooth transition.

But in KZ context.... I`m probably ruined by IT01 (modded) sound compared to KZs - it is just sooo coherent and best dynamic-details in highs (best natural cymbal and crash sounds) I`ve heard from IEM. To picturize it by words, IT01 highs = TsZsSscSsss vs. ZS4 "tss tss tss" (which is all that BA is capable of, no matter what high-sound instrument).

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2018 at 8:28 AM Post #36,758 of 63,916

Maybe the QKZ version (VK3) will work out better, as it has a 10mm dynamic with no BA.

Oct 3, 2018 at 8:38 AM Post #36,759 of 63,916
But like I said, that BA seems (to my ears) to have "dissected" fr from DD and just covering BA hole with foam etc. won`t help to fix it. It tames "tss tss" sibilance but doesn`t make it more coherent and smooth transition.

I agree on this. A BA foam mod would only tame sibilance. It would not correct transition between drivers.

Oct 3, 2018 at 12:47 PM Post #36,760 of 63,916
Zs6 arrived at me.
Connected immediately to my dap.
I have to say: they seem quite good, but sibilance is really killing my ears with stocks tips

Do you think zs6 is tip sensitive?

I'm gonna try foam tips at home but for now i can't appreciate the detail as the piercing highs are destroying everything.
At least i can say some impression about the bass: very good bass, sub-bass is good and it's there when needed, not overwhelming.
Mids are ok and soundstage is wow.
Gonna test more asap.

Oct 3, 2018 at 1:59 PM Post #36,761 of 63,916
Was doing some research for the USB-C DAC cables when I realized why would I buy a KZ specific USB-C brand specific cable when you can just get a 3.5mm jack for a couple bucks more and just switch out the headphones when you want to? If you buy the KZ cable, you would have to switch the ear phones every time as opposed to just switching a cable which is faster.

https://store.google.com/product/usb_c_headphone_adapter
$12 (updated version for the pixel 3)

vs

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/201...rade-Wire-0-75mm-For-Android/32885121196.html
$9

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2018 at 2:58 PM Post #36,762 of 63,916
Zs6 arrived at me.
I have to say: they seem quite good, but sibilance is really killing my ears with stocks tips

I'm gonna try foam tips at home but for now i can't appreciate the detail as the piercing highs are destroying everything.
At least i can say some impression about the bass: very good bass, sub-bass is good and it's there when needed, not overwhelming.
Gonna test more asap.
I think they're very tip-sensitive. Best two tips I've found for my ears are Auvio wide-bores and Complys. No sibilance issues with either in my experience

Oct 3, 2018 at 4:48 PM Post #36,764 of 63,916
So after some time spent with my ZS10 I can now give some more thoughts.

Firstly after not being completely happy with the fit of the large Spinfits I Switched to the tips from my urbanfun and what a result it was, much better isolation and sound wise...........

Firstly bass....well it's simply gorgeous,
Deep bass, and sub bass are some of the best I've heard, terrific clarity and so easy to pick out certain lines and notes, all wrapped in warmth.

Mids are slightly up front with a lovely warm tone and you can feel the singer placed definitely centre stage, very pleasurable indeed

And then the treble.
Oodles of clarity which extends really far but with no sibilance at all, and perfectly rolled off at the right place.

From my experience I'd call them an upside down little U shape, while being very warm and airy, which brings me to soundstage.
Which is big and wide, easy to pick out instrument placement with plenty of atmosphere thrown in.
Plus I love the way that they wrap your music up in a nice warm comfortable blanket with very liquid esq mids.

So in summary they are easily the best KZ I've heard, and I've heard an few!
Very happy with them indeed, extremely happy indeed.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2018 at 6:03 PM Post #36,765 of 63,916
Zs6 arrived at me.

Gonna test more asap.

I immediately moved to wide bore Tenmarks and added a EQ to downplay the highs. After a month or so, I started reducing my EQ. I guess harshness is very track and brain dependant. After a while, your brain equalizes :D
Comfort was the most terrible issue that I got used to after several weeks.
In between all of this, I was listening to the IT01s and soundstage is the only thing that kept me giving the KZ5 another chance. In the end, I'm glad I did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back