Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jun 6, 2018 at 4:35 PM Post #33,121 of 63,836
honestly that's the only area the zs10 wins in. All the rest go to the it01.
I don't think my opinion is far outside the mainstream if at all. That's literally the one area the zs10 is better than the it01 in, and I feel in general is where the it01 is a little bit average.
Overall, the it01 is a better pair of IEMs.
Keep in mind I'm also comparing the zs10 with a balanced cable versus the it01 balanced as well, so that in itself may open up the staging a bit. If you're willing to put a lot of time and EQ testing into the zs10 they're very good, but are a little rough around the edges to start IMO. You can order the it01, open them and put them directly in your ears and they sound very good to start.
So, You are:
1) using balanced cables to compare them.
but...
2) what source gear are You comparing with?
3) what amping You use?
4) what tips do You use and what size?
5) what music You mainly use to compare them?

I am:
1) using single ended cable with neutrik hq 90`jack (cable measures 0.2Ohm for R/L/G)
2) using HW & FW modified DX50 @ FLAC-only, <0.5 Ohm output impedance
3) using HW modified DX50 amping @ high gain ( 3.1V / 80mA juice per channel)
4) using Auvio S size wide bore tips
5) using mainly progressive rock with great masterings like Steven Wilson, Porcupine tree, Gazpacho, TOOL; Seven Impale, Dream Theater, The Mars Volta etc.

IT01 has best low-mids I`ve heard in IEM so far (even comparable with Asura 2.0 earbud, which has very good mids) with no bleed between mid-bass/bass/low-mids.

Jun 6, 2018 at 4:51 PM Post #33,122 of 63,836
using mainly progressive rock with great masterings like Steven Wilson, Porcupine tree, Gazpacho, TOOL; Seven Impale, Dream Theater, The Mars Volta etc.
I like you. DT has to be one of my all-time favorites. Watching them perform DSOTM was something out of this world.

Jun 6, 2018 at 5:02 PM Post #33,123 of 63,836
I am looking forward to your thoughts on the ED16. I love mine. To me, it is a gem. It is smaller than I thought it would be. ...and better...so much better..
Better than WHAT dear Wilson, better than WHAT? :p

I do not have the ES4. I do have the TRN V20.

Here are the KZs that I own (copied from my profile):
KZ ATR
KZ ED9
KZ ED16 - black
KZ ZS6 - green
KZ ZS10 - red
KZ ZSR - translucent green
KZ ZST - carbon

I did listen to my husband' ES4 for a few minutes a couple of weeks ago because it arrived as he was leaving for work. Unfortunately I was unable to enjoy it as it was out of phase. He has since fixed it but I have not felt like trying it again. Too busy enjoying my music with my own gear.

I will listen to the V20 and the ED16 together one day next week but I can't promise that I will be able to answer your question to your satisfaction.

@MDH12AX7
Edited to say I confused the ES4 and the ZSA when I said the ES4 that had listened to was out of phase. It was the ZSA that was out of phase. My husband received both recently...among other things...hard to keep track. I don't think I have even listened to the ES4. Do I need to? I was under the impression that they were very bright? How do you compare the ES4 and TRN V20? Just a general impression.

Edited again... I see you already did compare them in the Hidden Gems thread:)
The ES4 isn’t bright at all. In fact, it’s like the ZSR with a tighter bass and less highs.

And in fact: the ES4 sounds very similar to the KZ ZSA I’ve just gotten. I will thoroughly compare them from now on.

Though I can already say I love the metallic finish and the comfort of the ZSA. They’re really small. Snug in your ear. I haven’t gotten a KZ before that was this comfy right away.

Jun 6, 2018 at 5:04 PM Post #33,124 of 63,836
Jun 6, 2018 at 5:06 PM Post #33,125 of 63,836
What do you think of this? I want to purchase something a bit more high than the KZ's but don't want to spend a fortune.

What kind of sound are you looking for? The Tin Audio T2 is killer for the price.

Jun 6, 2018 at 5:13 PM Post #33,126 of 63,836
What about **** 6in1? If i look for sub bass and overall fun signature (Tin audio or those ****?). I'm looking for review of this earphones but there is no such thing in internet. Audiobudget reviewed them but i'm not totally convinced by his reviews.

Jun 6, 2018 at 5:15 PM Post #33,128 of 63,836
What about **** 6in1? If i look for sub bass and overall fun signature (Tin audio or those ****?). I'm looking for review of this earphones but there is no such thing in internet. Audiobudget reviewed them but i'm not totally convinced by his reviews.

I own those as well and they are ok but they need to be amped to appreciate them.

Jun 6, 2018 at 5:15 PM Post #33,129 of 63,836
Better than WHAT dear Wilson, better than WHAT? :p

Better than I expected.

The ES4 isn’t bright at all. In fact, it’s like the ZSR with a tighter bass and less highs.

Might have to get an ES4 in green.... but do I NEED it?

What do you think of this? I want to purchase something a bit more high than the KZ's but don't want to spend a fortune.

I love the hotfi but can't go into detail at this time because I have been listening to too many other things this week... a couple of headphones, a couple of buds, a couple of new iems... I need to quit.

Jun 6, 2018 at 5:27 PM Post #33,131 of 63,836
I already own the Tin Audio T2 and I am quite happy with it. I just want a kick ass multi ba unit that doesn't cost the earth to buy. I also like the behind the ear cable fitment which the T2 hasn't got.

While they’re not multi-BA, here’s 2 options for you:

1. @Otto Motor raves about the Etymotic HF5. I have never personally heard it, so you could PM him for more details.

2. I also sorely regret getting rid of my mint condition Shure E4c. They were awesome with silicone tips. You can probably pick up a used pair dirt cheap, as it’s quite a few years old now.

For multi-BA, I have the Magaosi K5, which is amazing 5xBA (but might be more than your budget). Its 3xBA little brother (Magaosi X3) is supposed to be awesome as well.

The impression thread has blown up with people raving about the NiceHck HK6. It’s a bit pricey though.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2018 at 5:34 PM Post #33,132 of 63,836
I own those as well and they are ok but they need to be amped to appreciate them.

I mostly use my earphones with xDuoo XQ-23, it powers some large over ear headphones so those earphones shouldn't be a problem. So duel between Tin Audio T2 vs **** 6in1, i need good bass (with depth) and not recessed (they can be slightly) mids without a lot of sybilance.

Jun 6, 2018 at 5:45 PM Post #33,133 of 63,836
@TheVortex NiceHck HK6. Sorted

I would've thought you'd recommend the Hisenior B5+. 100 bux for a supposedly Knowles 5BA IEM is quite nice. Its quite a nice price progression from the Hisenior B5+ ($100), Toneking TK2 ($150) and NiceHCK HK6($200). There's also the Hifiboy OSV3 ($160) that's been reviewed quite highly.

My experience with these smaller batches DIY stuff have been very good in terms of price-performance ratio, if not in QC. Wonder if the 10BA KZ can soon be added to the list of consideration. A competently tuned multi-BA can sound amazingly natural even without the presence of a DD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back