Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jun 1, 2018 at 11:16 AM Post #32,941 of 63,836
do anyone here has ed16 yet?
I received ED16 yesterday and left them burning in with pink noise for a couple of hours. I'll compare them to KZ ZSR as they're the only IEM's I've got from KZ. First impression is that ED16 is smaller and less bulky than ZSR (flatter in shape and less width than ZSR) and it seems to adapt better to my ears. The nozzle is back to "normal size" (not oversized like ZSR) so I've had to switch to foam tips because I found the stock tips to be small compared to the big ZSR nozzle. Regarding sound quality, I find them better than ZSR in a couple of aspects: the bass isn't as prominent -or "dark"- as in ZSR which helps emphasize mids and brings a more balanced tuning, and the treble seems to have a bit more definition than ZSR, giving them a bigger, wider and especially more balanced soundstage which I find more appealing than ZSR. There's also a slight increase instrument separation. In fact, after listening & comparing thoroughly ZSR and ED16, I don't want to go back to ZSR, which I now find more muddy and less detailed, with too much emphasis on the low-end. (I'm not saying ZSR are bad, I have enjoyed them so much, but I find ED16 more balanced and enjoyable to listen).

I wish I could compare them to other KZ IEM's (especially to ES4 due to the positive feedback it's receiving) , but one spanish audiophile reviewer on Youtube says ED16 are the best sounding IEM's from KZ right after ZS10 (not far away from those)
18c58z.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2018 at 11:16 AM Post #32,942 of 63,836
i completely agree with slater on the edr1--you cannot overstate how impressive it is. the zsr/zs5 have bigger, more detailed presentations, but to my current thinking the edr1 has the most natural-sounding tonality of any of the kzs. the only limitation i've heard is that its lowend tends to wobble on lower-powered sources, tho it tightens considerably when amped.

Thanks all for the insight.
The EDR2 are the first non hybrid KZ I have tried, and I'm not disappointed at all for $6.
Playing them directly from my note 5, I don't hear overbearing bass, somewhat elevated, yes.

After reading impressions about the EDR1, they seem to be a worthwhile listen. Fact is, since I haven't jumped on the hot releases (except recently, the ES4, based on so many positive comments) My inner ear (or voice in my head) told me I should listen to some of the pre-hybrid offerings.

This week I did finally jump past my iPod phase, and ordered a Cayin N3.
I have a feeling that listening through my collection of Phones and iem all over again, things will sound much different.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2018 at 11:27 AM Post #32,943 of 63,836
I received ED16 yesterday and left them burning in with pink noise for a couple of hours. I'll compare them to KZ ZSR as they're the only IEM's I've got from KZ. First impression is that ED16 is smaller and less bulky than ZSR (flatter in shape and less width than ZSR) and it seems to adapt better to my ears. The nozzle is back to "normal size" (not oversized like ZSR) so I've had to switch to foam tips because I found the stock tips to be small compared to the big ZSR nozzle. Regarding sound quality, I find them better than ZSR in a couple of aspects: the bass isn't as prominent -or "dark"- as in ZSR which helps emphasize mids and brings a more balanced tuning, and the treble seems to have a bit more definition than ZSR, giving them a bigger, wider and especially more balanced soundstage which I find more appealing than ZSR. There's also a slight increase instrument separation. In fact, after listening & comparing thoroughly ZSR and ED16, I don't want to go back to ZSR, which I now find more muddy and less detailed, with too much emphasis on the low-end. (I'm not saying ZSR are bad, I have enjoyed them so much, but I find ED16 more balanced and enjoyable to listen).

I wish I could compare them to other KZ IEM's (especially to ES4 due to the positive feedback it's receiving) , but one spanish audiophile reviewer on Youtube says ED16 are the best sounding IEM's from KZ right after ZS10 (not far away from those)
18c58z.jpg

Thank you for sharing those impressions. Now I don't have to:) Always happy to hear that I am not too far off with my perceptions:) I hear the ED16 the way you described. I have not listened to the ZSR for awhile now so I am unable to comment on that part. Sometimes I do like "dark" though.

I do hate to start hype... do any of us need ALL of these models. It is a bit overwhelming.

Still want that purple one though when it is released... unless others say it is horrible.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2018 at 11:34 AM Post #32,944 of 63,836
Thank you for sharing those impressions. Now I don't have to:) Always happy to hear that I am not too far off with my perceptions:) I hear the ED16 the way you described. I have not listened to the ZSR for awhile now so I am unable to comment on that part. Sometimes I do like "dark" though.

I do hate to start hype thought... do any of us need ALL of these models. It is a bit overwhelming.

Still want that purple one though when it is released... unless others say it is horrible.
You're welcome. Sure, it's starting to be a bit overwhelming lately... too many releases in such a short time which can confuse people. I prefer quality over quantity, but it seems that KZ is delivering both quantity and quality lately, because both ES4 and now ED16 seem superior to previous models according to feedback from early adopters!

Haha I didn't know KZ is supposed to realease a purple one.. I'll leave it for my girlfriend :)

Jun 1, 2018 at 11:46 AM Post #32,945 of 63,836
I have to disagree just a little bit here. You can overstate how impressive it is haha Got mine a couple days ago. They sound great, very similar to Final E2000. Vocals are sweet. But somehow Beethoven' piano sonatas sound crowded and thick. Overall they're excellent value, unbeatable indeed for under $10. But didn't knock my socks off.

Sure, they aren't perfect when comparing them to more expensive IEMs (but neither are most IEMs).

For ~$4 shipped, I welcome anyone to name a better sounding IEM at the same price.

BTW, the sound cleans up nicely (the midrange specifically) when you remove the stock red nozzle (and either replace it with a stainless nozzle screen, or just leave it off altogether). Also replacing the rubbish stock tips for something better makes a difference (like Auvio wide bores or KZ Starlines).

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2018 at 11:50 AM Post #32,946 of 63,836
Old news, but I got in a new ED9 a couple days ago. I've had one of the original versions with the bio-diaphragm for years and took a brief listen to the current titanium driver model early last year before it was gifted to my cousin. Now that I've got my own and have had the opportunity to sit and compare to the original, damn is it good. ZS10 is better on a technical level, but with the balanced filters installed the ED9 is just so pleasant to listen too. Tight, deep bass, slightly recessed tonally correct mids with great timbre, and crisp, accurate treble that doesn't peak uncomfortably. The current driver is so much tighter and more controlled than the old one as well. None of the splashiness that turned me away. Glad I got them with a mic as these are going to be seeing a lot of use. What a bargain for 10 CAD.

I knew I wasn't on drugs when I said the ED9 looked like it had a titanium driver (at least my 2 pairs anyways). When the nozzles are removed, I can see the titanium drivers staring me right in the face plain as day.
Thanks for finally clearing up the mystery of bio-fiber vs titanium. I was unaware KZ even released 2 revisions of the ED9 with different drivers!

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2018 at 11:56 AM Post #32,947 of 63,836
...Received another iem today that I'm not allowed to mention that is better than them both!

I would strongly suggest people refrain from saying these kind of 'beat around the bush' comments folks! People have been getting permanently banned lately, as there seems to be a low moderator tolerance about this topic...

I would hate to see more good people banned :frowning2:

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2018 at 12:01 PM Post #32,948 of 63,836
Old news, but I got in a new ED9 a couple days ago. I've had one of the original versions with the bio-diaphragm for years and took a brief listen to the current titanium driver model early last year before it was gifted to my cousin. Now that I've got my own and have had the opportunity to sit and compare to the original, damn is it good. ZS10 is better on a technical level, but with the balanced filters installed the ED9 is just so pleasant to listen too. Tight, deep bass, slightly recessed tonally correct mids with great timbre, and crisp, accurate treble that doesn't peak uncomfortably. The current driver is so much tighter and more controlled than the old one as well. None of the splashiness that turned me away. Glad I got them with a mic as these are going to be seeing a lot of use. What a bargain for 10 CAD.

Wow, B9! "Old news" but I never knew that the more recent ED9 had an improved DD. Thanks for the update. I'll be putting in an order for a few.

Still enjoy my originals immensely, though.

19700208_013650.jpg

If KZ ever replaces the HDS3's to a titanium or graphene micro-driver I would be first in line to buy multiples......again! I believe that the HDS3 is the only IEM in KZ's stable that employs "rubidium" magnets.

From Wikipedia:
"Rubidium has also been considered for use in a thermoelectric generator using the magnetohydrodynamic principle, where hot rubidium ions are passed through a magnetic field. These conduct electricity and act like an armature of a generator thereby generating an electric current."

HTB1aioHKVXXXXX5XVXXq6xXFXXXD-1.jpg

Whatever......I like them.......a lot!

20160727_132739.jpg

There's a lot going on at KZ so this thread should be popping for months.

Still waiting on this one, though!

YafbXEADazHBl96t3M6c9Pb4iHgoWX5QcAtWFQVfCpUexhzkEbK70ttd5x25dkK6Do06ha7Nzg=w260-h260-n-1.jpg

I wonder if all ATE-S models have beryllium drivers. My ATE-S sounds tight from top to bottom, just very punchy mid-bass.

41WakOHw1uL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

7831e4f8-cfae-40be-84f0-4950d2ea5950.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2018 at 12:25 PM Post #32,951 of 63,836
Hello guys!
I have been reading this thread for at least 500-600 pages, when I bought KZ ATE (transparent black), through 2 pairs of ZS3 to ZS6.
Now i'm fairly happy with ZS6 (red) but still ZS3 are far more comfortable for daily use so i'm looking into some new KZ models.

I've been eyeballing KZ ZSR/ED16/ZS10 and some TRN like V20 or V60. What i enjoy is deep bass (i'm a basshead) with large amount of sub rather than mid bass and i don't mind mids that are just a bit recessed but not overwhelmingly recessed. I have ZS6 and sibilance is there but it's not a dealbreaker for me. I'm looking for those things and comfort, how they sit in ears, cause i don't have any problems with eartips.

If You know that someone will fit better for me than those listed than i'll be happy to check them of course :)

EDIT: I haven't mentioned the source, for most of the time it's xDuoo XQ-23 (bluetooth DAC/Amp)

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2018 at 12:28 PM Post #32,952 of 63,836
Hey, anyone happen to notice any upgrade that has similar sound sig as ZSRs? Maybe a $50-$149 iem that has similar sound signature in terms of brightness? I really love the sound of it and wanting an upgrade hehe

Pioneer CH9T is a comparable upgrade IMO. I'm sure there are others, as that seems to be a very crowded (and competitive) price range lately.

BTW, there's a gently used CH9T for sale in the for sale section right now for a great price.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2018 at 12:35 PM Post #32,953 of 63,836
Haha I didn't know KZ is supposed to realease a purple one.. I'll leave it for my girlfriend :)

I expect that the purple will not be quite as bright in real life. It better be good!

upload_2018-6-1_17-35-7.jpeg

beat around the bush' comments

People can read and write reviews on amazon for some products...

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2018 at 1:14 PM Post #32,955 of 63,836

Users who are viewing this thread

Back