CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Apr 6, 2018 at 4:47 PM Post #8,836 of 31,831
It would be interesting to measure the iems with different kinds of tape and different arrays of holes added with a needle. What does tape do, generally? When I tried micropore tape on the Tennmak Dulcimer once, the sound was totally muffled.

We know that wide bore tips increase treble and possibly remove a bit of midrange, we know that taping vents increases bass, we know that adding metal screens adds treble and textile screen remove some. But what does tape do? I would like to see the respective frequency response curves.

The tape causes a restriction/resiatance (as well as providing a filtering effect).

So as it pertains to driver vents on IEMs and headphones, it in effect makes the vent hole 'smaller' because there is less surface area (like putting a coffee filter over a bath drain will cause the water to drain much slower because the water has to get through the small holes of the filter. When used on the magnet vent of full size headphones, it does the same thing (causes resistance/makes the area of the 'hole smaller'), which on most drivers tunes out some bass and/or makes the midrange more forward (it varies by driver and other factors).

You can also use it over BA drivers to filter out some of the output (ie reducing the sound and/or filter some frequencies).

Apr 6, 2018 at 4:57 PM Post #8,837 of 31,831
ED9 loser of the bunch

All four buds came alive with amp support and nothing cold help the ED9 ($13.79) even changing filters and tips. Reminded me of the Soundmagic E80s.which cost $49.95

The ED9 have a titanium driver, which is too harsh for a lot of people. I also think they shoud not have been open-backed. It did not help the sound - it just wasn't a good match for the driver.

I did some mods to my ED9, and improved them tremendously.

Apr 6, 2018 at 5:12 PM Post #8,838 of 31,831
Is there still any buzz around the DZAT then? I find the bass too boomy and details too rare to enjoy the sound longer amount of times.[/QUOTE
Now you have made me want to listen to mine today. I love them. Have you tried different tips? I am looking at the online photos of the DZAT DF-10 and it seems that I am not using the stock tips. I have no idea what they are though. We have boxes full of tips here. I will put a photo at the end of this post

It's very nice to just put them in without having to fiddle with an over the ear type cable. they are very comfortable. I am hearing details and nothing is too boomy... seems like the right amount of bass to me. I do know what you mean about not being able to listen long when it is sounding as you describe. Listener fatigue.

While I was looking for them, I saw others I want to use more.... Another photo included (showing two of the five bags I have for iems and buds). I
First, sorry for your loss. It shows how unimportant earphones are.

The DZAT-DF10 were my first order ever from aliexpress. And, although factory sealed, the large stock tips were missing. I see from your picture that the have a wide bore. My third-party standard tips (blue and red) have a slightly narrower bore. When applying the white Tennmaks whirlwind, the bass becomes a bit slimmer but the mids and treble stay approximately the same. But this is minor.

The doing the same to the Urbanfun Hifi hybrids, the Tennmaks make them sound tinny.

I have the yellow DZAT DF-10 purchased earlier this year. With the original tips they were boomy but with a wide bore i get much better fit without the extreme bass. They have a v signature with no harshness on the highs. Love the wood but hate the cable don't believe they will last.

Apr 6, 2018 at 5:16 PM Post #8,839 of 31,831
The ED9 have a titanium driver, which is too harsh for a lot of people. I also think they shoud not have been open-backed. It did not help the sound - it just wasn't a good match for the driver.

I did some mods to my ED9, and improved them tremendously.

Biocellulose actually, like the VSonic GR07.

Apr 6, 2018 at 5:27 PM Post #8,840 of 31,831
Love the wood but hate the cable don't believe they will last.

I like the cable on the Dzat... it feels comfortable and I like the color. I am very careful with my things though. I have never stuffed an iem into a pocket.

Apr 6, 2018 at 5:35 PM Post #8,841 of 31,831
I like the cable on the Dzat... it feels comfortable and I like the color. I am very careful with my things though. I have never stuffed an iem into a pocket.
They are really comfortable and yes very pretty. My wife likes the design and feel a lot as well. But very fragile for me.

Apr 6, 2018 at 6:17 PM Post #8,842 of 31,831
Biocellulose actually, like the VSonic GR07.

Really? When the nozzle is removed I always remembered seeing a shiny silver metal-coated diaphragm (not a metal cover, but the actual diaphragm). I'll have to take another look at the ED9 next time I have access to them. Maybe I'm thinking of another KZ...

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2018 at 6:21 PM Post #8,843 of 31,831
Out of curiosity and following the same brand, how are the Toneking Nine Tail? Are they old, are they outdated?

They are neither old or outdated, came out less than a year ago I think.

Unfortunately I believe people don't take a chance with them because of the odd shape and fit. If you don't have big ears I suspect you might have issues with that. Stock cable doesn't help either as it's springy and without ear guides so it tends to mess with your fit. After changing the cable with a more ergonomical one which also has preformed ear guides it's a dream - they snap right in and stay there.

Build is very good, filters are well made and to my ears offer good variety ranging from mid forward A shape type to mild U curve with a close to neutral intermediate.
Initially my only gripe with them was the lack of bass impact which surprinsigly I achieved with KZ whirlwinds wide bores - counterintuitive and cannot explain why but I thank to @dhruvmeena96 who advised this to a T2 owner with a similar issue - that's why I constantly read this forum and it delivers. I would have never tried this combo.

For me, this is now an amazing iem: very quick and textured bass (now with impact while using wide bores), excelent mids with lot of details and tunable treble from polite to very energetic. Details and resolution more than good, very wide soundstage that go beyond your ears (+180 degrees) and also good depth - all of these helping with the great separation, layering and imaging. Presentation is more like small size concert hall instead of first row intimate club stage.

All of these might seem pointless and come subjective as I don't have a proper iem reference besides my ZS5v1 (unavailable for most now) but vis-a-vis those they are better in every department but not by much. I still have my ZS5 in rotation (which I consider a $50 champion and a worthy $100 challenger next to TNTs) which is different mainly in the way that is presenting the intimate club stage feeling, nice with lots of details close to you.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2018 at 6:22 PM Post #8,844 of 31,831
Really? When the nozzle is removed I always remembered seeing a shiny silver metal-coated diaphragm (not a metal cover, but the actual diaphragm). I'll have to take another look at the ED9 next time I have access to them. Maybe I'm thinking of another KZ...

Certainly possible they changed it, but all the old/original documentation for them states they use biocellulose.

Apr 6, 2018 at 6:35 PM Post #8,845 of 31,831
Certainly possible they changed it, but all the old/original documentation for them states they use biocellulose.

Amazon and Aliexpress listings state them as PEK:
HTB1iCiFIpXXXXXcXVXXq6xXFXXXp.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2018 at 6:42 PM Post #8,846 of 31,831
They are neither old or outdated, came out less than a year ago I think.

Unfortunately I believe people don't take a chance with them because of the odd shape and fit. If you don't have big ears I suspect you might have issues with that. Stock cable doesn't help either as it's springy and without ear guides so it tends to mess with your fit. After changing the cable with a more ergonomical one which also has preformed ear guides it's a dream - they snap right in and stay there.

Build is very good, filters are well made and to my ears offer good variety ranging from mid forward A shape type to mild U curve with a close to neutral intermediate.
Initially my only gripe with them was the lack of bass impact which surprinsigly I achieved with KZ whirlwinds wide bores - counterintuitive and cannot explain why but I thank to @dhruvmeena96 who advised this to a T2 owner with a similar issue - that's why I constantly read this forum and it delivers. I would have never tried this combo.

For me, this is now an amazing iem: very quick and textured bass (now with impact while using wide bores), excelent mids with lot of details and tunable treble from polite to very energetic. Details and resolution more than good, very wide soundstage that go beyond your ears (+180 degrees) and also good depth - all of these helping with the great separation, layering and imaging. Presentation is more like small size concert hall instead of first row intimate club stage.

All of these might seem pointless and come subjective as I don't have a proper iem reference besides my ZS5v1 (unavailable for most now) but vis-a-vis those they are better in every department but not by much. I still have my ZS5 in rotation (which I consider a $50 champion and a worthy $100 challenger next to TNTs) which is different mainly in the way that is presenting the intimate club stage feeling, nice with lots of details close to you.

Thank you very much for your great description about TNT.

Two things I worry about them:

- I don't think I have big ears although I've never had problems with any IEM. Still the adjustment will be an unknown.
- That you think that the TNT are not much better than the KZ ZS5v1, (or so I understand, correct me if I'm wrong).

Apr 6, 2018 at 6:43 PM Post #8,847 of 31,831
Apr 6, 2018 at 6:48 PM Post #8,848 of 31,831
Which tuning nozzle to people like to use on the ED9? You have made me want to listen to mine agan soon. I remember loving it.

I always liked the bass filter.

People always said the dull brass (ie the wider one) one was "more harsh", but according to the FR graphs the treble is 100% identical (with the only difference being <500Hz):

ED9.fr.png

ED9.fr.wide.png

Apr 6, 2018 at 6:52 PM Post #8,849 of 31,831
That you think that the TNT are not much better than the KZ ZS5v1, (or so I understand, correct me if I'm wrong).

They are better and feel more organic due to the single driver coherency.

But to put it in numbers they are 5-10% better sq wise vs $80 price delta ($20 vs $100) - for you to decide what matters most.

Given that ZS5v1 is nowhere to be found now again this is not a proper comparison.

Apr 6, 2018 at 7:02 PM Post #8,850 of 31,831
I always liked the bass filter.

People always said the dull brass (ie the wider one) one was "more harsh", but according to the FR graphs the treble is 100% identical (with the only difference being <500Hz):

ED9.fr.png

ED9.fr.wide.png

That's a very common thing because you perceive the whole response differently and if you are comparing one to the other it might appear to sound harsher. Take a bit more time with both of them and then you get a better picture, unfortunately, most people don't.
I think that I've noticed this same thing (I mean from people's impressions) with Etymotic ER4XR and ER4SR where some people are reporting more details from SR version yet they only have a couple of dB of different bass response and identical mids and treble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back