Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Apr 18, 2018 at 2:15 PM Post #30,932 of 63,917
ZS10 vs. ZSR

Fancy setup
(this is not just a phone and the music used was flawless): iMac + audioquest jitterbug + audioquest dragonfly/Schiit Fulla

Dug into audiophile recordings (Chesky Records, lossless). Burn-in of the ZS10 (just in case...): 25 hrs so far.

There was not much between the two iems with this setup - they are rather similar. Really difficult to say which one has the more emphasized bass - but none of them is particularly tight. Overall, the ZS10 resolves slightly better. The biggest difference I found was in the voice department. The ZS10 renders the voices wider and therefore more recessed (and distant)...going back to previous models such as the ZS3 and ZS5. The ZSR reproduces voices slightly narrower which sets them a bit forward and adds some depth. Some prefer the former, some the latter.

I find the ZSR's sound more natural...again, that's why it is perceived to do reasonably well when compared to more expensive iems (ZSR = "iBasso IT0! light")?. The Fidue A65 plays darker, more relaxed, and with a more focused bass.

As to the ZS10's fancy stock cable: looks good, feels good...gets stuck everywhere and tangles up like crazy. Long live spaghetti...time for lunch! It will be a Bolognese.

Photos.jpg
kz.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2018 at 2:19 PM Post #30,933 of 63,917
@Otto Motor can you do a comparison between kz zs6 and the kz zs10... which one is better.. of the two... is it worth upgrading .. or is the kz zs6 still better then kz zs10.. and can you plz compare the soundstage, vocals and instrument accuracy ... which one is better?.. thanks

Apr 18, 2018 at 2:24 PM Post #30,934 of 63,917
@Otto Motor can you do a comparison between kz zs6 and the kz zs10... which one is better.. of the two... is it worth upgrading .. or is the kz zs6 still better then kz zs10.. and can you plz compare the soundstage, vocals and instrument accuracy ... which one is better?.. thanks
I think I did this already. The ZS10 is similar to the ZSR. If you have the ZSR already, I would at least wait for some more opinions and reviews [anxious what B9 will come up with]. The ZS6 is possibly more technically accurate sounding than the ZS10. ZS10 and ZS6 are totally different.
The ZS6 is also special because of its design and metal body. Voices sound better to me in the ZS6 if you can handle the 10K peak.

If I had tested all three in a store, I would have taken the ZSR for sound and the ZS6 as a collector's item but would have left the ZS10 for somebody else and blown the money on beer :)

But I am just one guy and others may assess them differently.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2018 at 2:39 PM Post #30,936 of 63,917
I think I did this already. The ZS10 is similar to the ZSR. If you have the ZSR already, I would at least wait for some more opinions and reviews. The ZS6 is more natural and more technically accurate sounding. ZS10 and ZS6 are totally different.
The ZS6 is also special because of its design and metal body. Voices sound better to me in the ZS6 if you can handle the 10K peak.

If I had tested all three in a store, I would have taken the ZSR for sound and the ZS6 as a collector's item but would have left the ZS10 for somebody else and blown the money on beer :)
There we have it. The ZS10 is the most pricey KZ to date, but it definitely isn’t the best. Couldn’t describe it better.

Apr 18, 2018 at 2:43 PM Post #30,937 of 63,917
There we have it. The ZS10 is the most pricey KZ to date, but it definitely isn’t the best. Couldn’t describe it better.
Depends on how you define "best". I would say it is not the miracle earphone everybody had expected from the 5-driver design. The ZS10 is technically up there with the ZS6....but, sonically I still prefer the "inferior" ZSR. And the $33 I paid was ok.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2018 at 3:00 PM Post #30,938 of 63,917
Thanks. After the first impression, I'll now take my time to have a longer look at the ZS10. For that purpose, I will not only use the dragonfly but also the Schiit Fulla and Montblanc FiiO E12 amp.

There are contrasting comments in that others think the bass of the ZSR is stronger. Some of my impressions could be owing to source, fit etc.. And I also put high expectations into a 5 driver earphone. Let's see whether others will love the ZS10 more.

Your "spoilers" and comments generated my desire to find the perfect standard music pieces for testing, subdivided into categories such as bass, soundstage, vocals etc.
One that is extremely useful for testing (overemphasized) treble is "Build" by the Housemartins (hi hats; also a good baseline towards the beginning; remaster needed, youtube version is not good enough).

Good one for identifying boomy bass is Sade - Smooth Operator.

Below is the start of a playlist subdivision...

That's quite the list you have there. Just be mindful that orchestral recordings and jazz recordings prior to the digital revolution introduce an endless set of variables that can skew ones interpretation of what sounds "natural"(microphone used, placement of microphone, recording equipment, etc.). Then of course there is the supposed same track released on different compilations but the dynamics differ from one release to the next.

Examples:

......and with the "loudness wars" in full bloom, to my ears, remastered tracks aren't always "better" than the unmolested original track. Just an observation to be considered when one is seeking recorded tracks to serve as a "control".

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2018 at 4:08 PM Post #30,941 of 63,917
Which color are they?

Take out the silicon tip and look for the end of that little tube to have a part coming out to hold rhe silicon tip in place.

I'm sure Slater fixed you up but here is my last ZS6 Gray shell, tip ridge is clearly there:wink:

ZS6 Nozzle Has Ridge.JPG

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2018 at 4:10 PM Post #30,942 of 63,917
2 x 5 = 10?

And now the fight of the giants: ZS5 v1 against ZS10.

Setup: iMac + audioquest jitterbug + audioquest dragonfly

Whoa, the ZS5 v1 kicks ass - can I believe it? It is less thick sounding than the ZS10 because of its less inflated bass. The whole image of the ZS5 is more transparent and fluffier. Diana Krall's voice gets some wonderful sparkle.

Coil, no need for you to "upgrade". Here you have it:" the ZS5 v1 is a classic.

Note: with the iPhone 5S the ZS5 sounds unbalanced and Diana Krall's voice is nasal and hollow. Most other iems sound just fine with the iPhone.

zs5-1.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2018 at 4:10 PM Post #30,943 of 63,917
15240822597871327895924.jpg 1524082280625271585402.jpg Just received the ZS10 as a gift from a friend. While I'm not proficient in terms of Audiophile lingo, I will give my impressions of the IEM when I return home from school today.

Apr 18, 2018 at 4:11 PM Post #30,944 of 63,917
How do the ZST compare to the ZSR? Also, anyone got the ZS6 recently? Green?
Mine (green) delivered today to mailbox, I will report back later after work.

Apr 18, 2018 at 4:49 PM Post #30,945 of 63,917
How do the ZST compare to the ZSR? Also, anyone got the ZS6 recently? Green?
ZST + massive controlled amount of bass + warm sound - piercing highs = ZSR.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back