Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Feb 8, 2018 at 3:17 PM Post #27,991 of 63,936
dc resistance and pics of the cheap (<$10) "upgrade" cables for kzs:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/kno...essions-thread.698148/page-1785#post-13964853

Great post and keep up updating! :wink:
Btw, I just bought that silver-transparent-white 2-pin with black rings jack cable You measured lowest impedance. Hopefully will get same good one.
Will measure mine when I get it and post results. NiceHCK one with white rings really isn`t good when it comes to numbers (too high & uneven impedance), maybe will try to make it into custom (wooden plugs&bits) and resolder, maybe helps.

Feb 8, 2018 at 3:18 PM Post #27,992 of 63,936
Btw, don`t want to be rude but those music preferences and video links are kind of annoying (please put them into spoiler at least).

Another thing... I got my latest ATR from GB and I might be wrong, but it sounds closer to ATE 5th gen and not so "dry" sounding as 1st gen (early ones). To me, latest ATR sounds slightly better and refined/natural. Maybe it is just batch difference or KZ QC but they are darn great IEMs for just 4$ ....insane! ;P

I suspected that they might be a slight annoyance, but I've no clue how to hide them under the spoiler heading. A brief "how to" and I'm good to go.

BTW, anyone can chime in on how to do this.

Also, good to know about the current ATR. I have two fresh pairs on the checklist and look forward to hearing them. It's one of the best all-around inexpensive IEMs IMHO.

What are the differences that are immediately noticeable between the ATE(v) and ATR(ii)?

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2018 at 3:23 PM Post #27,993 of 63,936
Has anyone found any cheap/good 2.5mm balanced cables with 2 pin connectors for KZ IEMS? I bought one of their 3.5 MM silver "upgrade" cables , and could re-terminate with a 2.5 MM TRRS, but I'd like to confirm if all 4 wires go all the way to the connector. Given that it's pretty cheap to start with it's no big loss, but it would be nice if someone has already gone down that path..

Feb 8, 2018 at 3:54 PM Post #27,994 of 63,936
What are the differences that are immediately noticeable between the ATE(v) and ATR(ii)?

I have removed nylon grills from nozzles on my ATE 5th gen... so, I removed them also from ATR to compare and used exactly same wide-bore smallest tips, both without mic, same song looping few mins before change ( Lifesigns - Cardington - Different , 16/44 FLAC, iBasso DX5X HO with HW&FW mods ), with Y-splitter, changing IEMs fast as possible (with song @ pause).
These are most noticeable differences I could detect on 1 song basis:
* ATE sub-bass/bass is slightly more present
* ATR soundstage depth layering/positioning is slightly closer to headroom center point
* ATR has maybe slightly better soundstage width but this maybe due to previous notice

overall, differences are very small and when not concentrating on details, one may not tell the difference.
But with good source gear and great mastered song - ATR is probably more "neutral" sounding and refined.
Personally I think I still prefer ATE due to seemingly slightly larger soundstage and slightly more distant presentation/imaging/layering.
Need more burn-in time as ATE is well behind 200h and ATR just about 5h playtime.

Let me remind You that ATE 5th gen nozzle inner diameter went larger slightly and to me seems has exactly same physical build as ATR.
Tomorrow will open both up and see if drivers are same looking or different as previously (ATE = red shell with tiny "tube" in front of diaphragm, ATR = blue shell without tiny "tube" and same hole size in front of diaphragm).

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2018 at 4:30 PM Post #27,995 of 63,936
I suspected that they might be a slight annoyance, but I've no clue how to hide them under the spoiler heading. A brief "how to" and I'm good to go.

Also, good to know about the current ATR. I have two fresh pairs on the checklist and look forward to hearing them. It's one of the best all-around inexpensive IEMs IMHO.

like this

[sp oiler]like this[/spo iler]

without the extra spaces of course

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2018 at 4:54 PM Post #27,996 of 63,936
Man I love little black Thongs:confused::rolling_eyes::scream:

OK, back on track, look what just blew into town:yum: I've been reading everyone talking about this thing having the blue rubbery upgrade cable and I've got like three of them already! If this bass is all that on these with the tri-braid I'm ordering that better SP cable for them and the Red's/Black's may be taking a backseat:worried:

ZS Graybeard 6.JPG

ZS6 Blue Upgrade.JPG

Feb 8, 2018 at 5:03 PM Post #27,997 of 63,936
Just received the ZSR. Sounds like a softer version of ZS6 with a wider soundstage. Of course, clarity-wise, ZS6 still a step further. Nevertheless, love the differences. Will let them burn in for couple days and update my impressions after.

Feb 8, 2018 at 5:34 PM Post #27,998 of 63,936

Give this a little listen

Feb 8, 2018 at 6:13 PM Post #27,999 of 63,936
Just received the ZSR. Sounds like a softer version of ZS6 with a wider soundstage. Of course, clarity-wise, ZS6 still a step further.
To my ears that is what the CM5 sounds like, although it retains the clarity.

Feb 8, 2018 at 6:28 PM Post #28,001 of 63,936
Feb 8, 2018 at 6:35 PM Post #28,003 of 63,936
Last edited:
Feb 8, 2018 at 6:51 PM Post #28,005 of 63,936
Has anyone found any cheap/good 2.5mm balanced cables with 2 pin connectors for KZ IEMS? I bought one of their 3.5 MM silver "upgrade" cables , and could re-terminate with a 2.5 MM TRRS, but I'd like to confirm if all 4 wires go all the way to the connector. Given that it's pretty cheap to start with it's no big loss, but it would be nice if someone has already gone down that path..
Not sure if you're a handy type person or not…

I got this upgrade cable which was popular a bit back:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Lat...e-0-75mm-2-Pin-2-PIN-Upgrade/32823059586.html
Then this 2.5mm TRRS jack
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Sal...dio-Adapter-Converter-Solder/32663266504.html
Had some of these from before but a bit of shrink wrap would do the trick if you don't:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Sal...e-For-Sennheiser-Clear-Black/32718680699.html

Took seconds to unscrew the 3.5mm jack on the cable noting which was the left and right positive line, lots longer to find my stupid multimeter and again seconds to figure out left and right negative. I spent the most time finding a diagram of the wiring for the 2.5mm balanced jack. A minute or two with the soldering iron and I was done.

I went this route because the cheapest 2.5mm balanced cables I could find were $25 and didn't seem as nice to me as the $10 KZ cable.

I'll even save you from having to hunt down the wiring
For the AK 2.5mm wiring:
9936956_l.jpg

For the HiFiMan 3.5mm wiring:
9936957_l.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back