Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Feb 2, 2018 at 10:56 AM Post #27,781 of 64,037
The "High Mid-range BA" and the "Treble BA" on these "new" graphic for ZS5 were only introduced when the ZSR came out. The smaller DD is also the one used for the ZS6's sub bass. So no. It's not a mistake

Before things get out of hand I think I will contact the seller I usually order from. I will ask him if KZ sent him new images to publish for the ZS5. If you typically order from the same seller (for some of you it's George@GearBest) then please ask your seller if KZ has issued new images for the ZS5. This will put the controversy to bed once and for all, but do note that all of the images in my original post were sourced from the same seller on three separate occasions.

Hope this was helpful.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2018 at 11:07 AM Post #27,782 of 64,037
Last edited:
Feb 2, 2018 at 11:09 AM Post #27,783 of 64,037
Don't know all the history that KZ has releasing changed IEM's only what i have skimmed off these few pages but given what Doc just said, if it was the same I would have expected the grey color to appear in the same link as the red,black, and green where you just pick the color. A whole separate link seems to be be the third sing it is different.

1) Different poster
2) Comparison for a member saying they hear an obvious difference.
3) Separate link/product description

A measurement between two would seal the deal.

yeah but if you're referring to Gearbest links they also carry different suppliers so there will be different links.

Feb 2, 2018 at 11:53 AM Post #27,784 of 64,037
No harm in considering that possibility, but given KZ's history

[ATE(i), ATE(ii), ATE(iii), ATE(iv), ATE(v), ZS1(i), ZS1(ii), ZS5(i) & ZS5 (ii)]

At any rate, if KZ has given a ZS6(ii) more bass and replaced one of the ultra-high frequency BAs with a midrange BA then the added bass will likely force some of those abundant highs found in the ZS6(i) into submission. I'll also venture a guess that a ZS6(ii) bass will not be as clean and tight as the ZS6(i). We'll just have to wait and see.

I'm not trying to persuade anyone, or cause an Argument, they don't need to swap the Armatures because the armatures they use are Wideband and will produce the required frequencies, they just needed to modify the x-over (if they actually have modified the IEM in any way) and if they have modified it in any way, meaning if they've had to reconfigure the x-over this late after the release then you'd have to fire the Engineer for not designing it properly in the beginning, Unless the EE had no experience with Sound X-Overs or phonics.. it honestly doesn't make sense, they already went to all the trouble, they wouldn't have designed the xover incorrectly.. unless they rolled the upper mids off a bit late causing some issues in the higher frequencies which would have been corrected with a few proto trial units. It would be almost a certainty they made a few and tested them first. All they would have to do - IF they have changed anything it is Tweak the X-over to Tighten up the Slopes where one driver drops off and the next responds. no need to change drivers, but they can change the poster which is keep it the same and just point to the other BA in the poster and give it a name like "Mid driver" that is essentially just saying "that now has more mid emphasis" the reason I think they just Changed the poster and not the IEM itself is because The first poster is Ambiguous. what the new poster looks like to me is what the the original poster should have been. if i'm not making sense.. let me know. Cheers :D

Feb 2, 2018 at 12:57 PM Post #27,785 of 64,037
I'm not trying to persuade anyone, or cause an Argument, they don't need to swap the Armatures because the armatures they use are Wideband and will produce the required frequencies, they just needed to modify the x-over (if they actually have modified the IEM in any way) and if they have modified it in any way, meaning if they've had to reconfigure the x-over this late after the release then you'd have to fire the Engineer for not designing it properly in the beginning, Unless the EE had no experience with Sound X-Overs or phonics.. it honestly doesn't make sense, they already went to all the trouble, they wouldn't have designed the xover incorrectly.. unless they rolled the upper mids off a bit late causing some issues in the higher frequencies which would have been corrected with a few proto trial units. It would be almost a certainty they made a few and tested them first. All they would have to do - IF they have changed anything it is Tweak the X-over to Tighten up the Slopes where one driver drops off and the next responds. no need to change drivers, but they can change the poster which is keep it the same and just point to the other BA in the poster and give it a name like "Mid driver" that is essentially just saying "that now has more mid emphasis" the reason I think they just Changed the poster and not the IEM itself is because The first poster is Ambiguous. what the new poster looks like to me is what the the original poster should have been. if i'm not making sense.. let me know. Cheers :D
agree 100%, i also guess that the differences, if any, will reside in the crossover. time will tell us..
and yes, the audio engineer, or the testers, or all of them should be fired.. or forced to improve their methodology

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2018 at 1:31 PM Post #27,786 of 64,037
In defense of the poor Engineers/Testers maybe upper management has told them in no uncertain terms no change until current back stock is sold:thinking: Just sayin'

Feb 2, 2018 at 1:33 PM Post #27,787 of 64,037
Must be the QC issue in the early ZS5 V1 batch. I had terrible QC issue with ZS5 V1 as well

Happens with ZST and ZS6 as well. I didn't have the ZS5's when I first brought it up. They pan correctly and each side is wired correctly.

Feb 2, 2018 at 2:33 PM Post #27,789 of 64,037
In defense of the poor Engineers/Testers maybe upper management has told them in no uncertain terms no change until current back stock is sold:thinking: Just sayin'

Solid possibility too. ahhh yes... upper management... it still exists.

agree 100%, i also guess that the differences, if any, will reside in the crossover. time will tell us..
and yes, the audio engineer, or the testers, or all of them should be fired.. or forced to improve their methodology

I hope they don't Fire those guy and yeah, time will tell, I was just thinking to myself, there's no reason why they couldn't refine the x-over as time went on and Doing it so close to a new models release is smart as they can refine it and treat it like an opportunity to test run a few things while they transition to the next design. they would be learning every day too. I did exaggerate with the whole job Canning thing It was joke as I think they've done a great job and I think others would agree, we wouldn't be here discussing it if it didn't stir something within.. it's my favourite sound company, IEM's anyway, i've put my other purchases on hold, i want to see what the response from other companies will be in the wake of the next Line up. Exciting times for the consumer.

Feb 2, 2018 at 3:36 PM Post #27,790 of 64,037
I just checked and found a number of HDS3 on both ebay and Aliexpress.

I only found a handful of HDS1 on ebay, and they are stupidly expensive.

My word: grab the cheapos first while they last. The EDR1 and EDR2 are still available cheaply, but probably not for long anymore. They also constitute the best value of all KZ earphones.

The ZS series does not run away right now.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2018 at 4:14 PM Post #27,791 of 64,037

Solid possibility too. ahhh yes... upper management... it still exists.

I hope they don't Fire those guy and yeah, time will tell, I was just thinking to myself, there's no reason why they couldn't refine the x-over as time went on and Doing it so close to a new models release is smart as they can refine it and treat it like an opportunity to test run a few things while they transition to the next design. they would be learning every day too. I did exaggerate with the whole job Canning thing It was joke as I think they've done a great job and I think others would agree, we wouldn't be here discussing it if it didn't stir something within.. it's my favourite sound company, IEM's anyway, i've put my other purchases on hold, i want to see what the response from other companies will be in the wake of the next Line up. Exciting times for the consumer.
about firing employees.. it pretended to be a (unfortunate) joke, or an statement about kz could do even better.
my experience as a worker in companies also tells me upper management uses to be technical ignorant and uses to decide based on pure marketing uniquely. thanks god there are exceptions somewhere..
can imagine it: engineers: "alpha version is ready to start being tested, it uses a crossover now and there are not buried drivers.." upper management: "no alpha version, let's deploy it now! we are on a wave, let customers test it while you plan another upgrade. graphic designers, prepare the posters right now, emphasizing everything that the customers want to see, although it is false"
i'm also fond of KZ. their quality-price ratio is superb. we can understand that their prices don't allow them to be too finicky with details or QC. no problem, while their iems sound well enough for the budget. i've had 2 qc issues (one zs5v1, one zs3) from 45 kz purchased iems. gearbest refunded 100% of the zs5, and i didn't notify about the broken zs3. i can't complain.

Feb 2, 2018 at 4:23 PM Post #27,792 of 64,037

Great idea!

I would recommend being very careful heating the shrink tubing, so nothing gets damaged (like the BA driver diaphragms or the plastic nozzle on the ZS5 v2).

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2018 at 4:31 PM Post #27,793 of 64,037
Back in the day when ZS5 came out, I discussed with people how it's a bit weird that small dynamic was used for sub. Turns out that it was just a mistake in promo material. This "new" photo is actually the oldest one. Sorry for killing the fun...

So are you saying that the bottom line is that there's no ZS5 v3 after all?

Feb 2, 2018 at 4:40 PM Post #27,794 of 64,037
I think that is still open for debate Slater but we are waiting for replies from vendors on whether KZ sent update image files for the Zs5 recently that would indicate a change.

Feb 2, 2018 at 5:20 PM Post #27,795 of 64,037
KZ ZS3 will be here in a couple days.

I'm looking for suggestions for Tips. Want to do a little tip rolling.
Are there some rules of thumb regarding tips and sound signature ?
Do certain types or sizes tend to produce a certain signature ?
Also any brand recommendations ? I'm in the States and use Amazon mostly.

These will be my first IEM.
Excited after following this thread and reading up on KZ and other budget IEMs for quite a while.
The more I read the harder it was to pull the trigger on something.
So many options.
And of course new KZ stuff coming out making me want to wait.

It sounds like I should just get myself banned from here as this seems to be quite addictive.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back