Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Feb 1, 2018 at 5:15 PM Post #27,751 of 63,929
Has anyone seen the recent picture for the KZ ZS5? It looks different.
5141o88mZlL._SX466_.jpg

Feb 1, 2018 at 5:21 PM Post #27,753 of 63,929
Yep, Standard TV fare of the day. Nice bikes BTW. I'm a mountain biker, never did BMX.

Yep and those were just grazing the surface as we had , Danny Thomas, Petticoat Junction (some of my earliest crushes, the Joe girls), Flipper, F Troop, Addam's Family, Munsters, Gomer, Jeannie, Avengers, Lost In Space, Get Smart, Andy G, Those Hillbillies, Wild Wild West, My Three Sons, Hazel, Dennis the Menace and how about Dobie Gillis, that broken record guy is back :rolling_eyes: You know is was years after the Big Valley went off the air that I saw a picture of Barbara Stanwyck and I just thought Linda Evans was beautiful, Babs was a stone cold knockout in her teens! Am I fading here, sure seems like I've lost track of time and where I am:open_mouth:

Hope this makes up for my errant ramblings!

KZ Lovin'.jpg

Feb 1, 2018 at 5:29 PM Post #27,754 of 63,929
Yep and those were just grazing the surface as we had , Danny Thomas, Petticoat Junction (some of my earliest crushes, the Joe girls), Flipper, F Troop, Addam's Family, Munsters, Gomer, Jeannie, Avengers, Lost In Space, Get Smart, Andy G, Those Hillbillies, Wild Wild West, My Three Sons, Hazel, Dennis the Menace and how about Dobie Gillis, that broken record guy is back :rolling_eyes: You know is was years after the Big Valley went off the air that I saw a picture of Barbara Stanwyck and I just thought Linda Evans was beautiful, Babs was a stone cold knockout in her teens! Am I fading here, sure seems like I've lost track of time and where I am:open_mouth:

Hope this makes up for my errant ramblings!

HA, that's a great amp, btw take a close look at my profile picture lol!

Feb 1, 2018 at 6:00 PM Post #27,755 of 63,929
5141o88mZlL._SX466_.jpg
Isn't that a picture of the configuration of the original ZS5 V1? With one of the 2 high frequency BA in the body in the molded cavity instead of both stuck in the nozzle. Although I note that the body mounted BA is described as a mid treble vs high treble in the nozzle? Or have they gone and created a ZS5 V3 since they seem to have, although yet to be seen in person, gone with 2 different frequency range BA in the ZS6?

Feb 1, 2018 at 6:17 PM Post #27,756 of 63,929
To answer your question, you're not the only one, but once I get my ES3 replacements I'll compare the ATR to the ES3 and let you know if the ES3 is precisely what you're asking for (upgraded ATR with removable cable and better build). I'm kind of going from memory at this point since my backup ATR is dead on one side and my ES3 needs replacing as well. Stay tuned and I'll get back to you.

BTW, to anyone else in the community who has both the ATR and the ES3, please chime in.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/cr/B01MDMCQSH/ref=mw_dp_cr
i've got some ATR and ES3. i'll measure them when my new setup is completed (still mounting and installing a new computer).
pewter zs6 are in transit, will measure them and compare to the rest of zs6s, to check differences, if any.

THX @Drumkrunk , here's the family stable, everyone else in the house ride 24 cruisers as well as the guest red Diamondback:wink:

Really taking me back @mrmoto050 , earliest shows I remember watching were Real McCoy's, Gunsmoke, My Favorite Martian, Bonanza, Twilight Zone, Dragnet, Rawhide, The Beaver, Have Gun, Lassie, Wagon Train but I loved the 60's shows like Hogan's, I-Spy, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea:grinning:

Yep, Standard TV fare of the day. Nice bikes BTW. I'm a mountain biker, never did BMX.
i can't enjoy MTB or BMX in real life (backache), but use to ride virtually while listening music (zs6) in the cell. these are the games we (my nephew, his friend and myself) developed:
http://www.tactilarts.com/landing/
MTB downhill.. velocity madness..

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2018 at 6:44 PM Post #27,757 of 63,929
5141o88mZlL._SX466_.jpg

Looks like ZS5 v1 driver placement to me. Someone else double check the driver labelings.

Feb 1, 2018 at 7:28 PM Post #27,758 of 63,929
i've got some ATR and ES3. i'll measure them when my new setup is completed (still mounting and installing a new computer).
pewter zs6 are in transit, will measure them and compare to the rest of zs6s, to check differences, if any.

i can't enjoy MTB or BMX in real life (backache), but use to ride virtually while listening music (zs6) in the cell. these are the games we (my nephew, his friend and myself) developed:
http://www.tactilarts.com/landing/
MTB downhill.. velocity madness..

Thanks hakuzen. My going from memory is probably the least reliable way to confirm or negate my suspicion regarding similarities in sound signature. Looking forward to your findings.

In memory of my dying ATR (no speaker phone for this one folks. IEMs are a must).

Feb 1, 2018 at 8:50 PM Post #27,759 of 63,929
hate to be the fun police but has anyone considered the the Poster information was updated instead of the IEM itself ? not trying to ruin the fun, I just want to explore the possibilities before we all get our Underwear in double knots (without even taking our pants off).

Don't know all the history that KZ has releasing changed IEM's only what i have skimmed off these few pages but given what Doc just said, if it was the same I would have expected the grey color to appear in the same link as the red,black, and green where you just pick the color. A whole separate link seems to be be the third sing it is different.

1) Different poster
2) Comparison for a member saying they hear an obvious difference.
3) Separate link/product description

A measurement between two would seal the deal.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2018 at 9:08 PM Post #27,760 of 63,929
Am I the only one who would like an upgraded ATR with removable cable and better build?
Why? They are sturdy, well built and $7 CAD. Just buy two. Even the $800 USD Sennheiser IE800 don't have a detachable cable.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2018 at 9:17 PM Post #27,764 of 63,929
The only KZ I regret buying is the ATR lol

Bad fit, lacks clarity across the whole spectrum, terrible rubbery cable that doesn't stay behind your ear, and a boring sound signature.

:shrug:
The rubbery cable is KZ standard. And with minor cosmetic surgery, they will fit better :).

Feb 1, 2018 at 9:41 PM Post #27,765 of 63,929
In your opinion what's the best KZ model to try for the first time?
Thanks again.
Best?

I'd start with the HDS1 or HDS3 and EDR1 or EDR2...or all of them...they are $5-6 each and very good.
See here: https://thecontraptionist.blog/2016...-place-to-begin-your-audiophile-journey-pt-1/

The ATR are also well-tuned earphones at $7 and much better than the ATE. I also like the ZSE.

I find the following fatiguing and quickly tiring: ED9, ZS3, ZST.

The dual driver ES3 are somewhat ok.

If you like window dressing and want to spend real money on looks, go for the multidriver ones such as the KS ZS5 and/or ZS6. But they have their sonic quirks. In this category, you fare much better with other brands imho (for example Sony M1HC, Tinaudio T2, and Brainwavz B100).

Haven't tried the ZSR yet.

In summary, the cheaper 2015 single-driver models mentioned above do nothing wrong and are highly recommended. And they offer superior value.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back