Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Oct 25, 2017 at 9:09 PM Post #24,121 of 63,834
What I'm saying is that graphs don't lie as long as comparative measurement of 2 IEMs are done by the same equipment and environment by the same person.

But that graph still does not tell us how our individual ears will interpret the sound.

Oct 25, 2017 at 9:13 PM Post #24,122 of 63,834
What I'm saying is that graphs don't lie as long as comparative measurement of 2 IEMs are done by the same equipment and environment by the same person.

Here's a test.

Using the exact same IEM, glue a 1" long hard plastic or copper tube to the nozzle of an IEM, and attach the eartip on the end of the extended nozzle. Take a listen, and compare it to the stock IEM without the extension tube.

Does it sound the same? No you say? But how is that possible? They both have identical frequency graphs - it's the same identical IEM!

There's more to what we hear than a FR graph.

Maybe it's 1 specific frequency or reflected wave that is different between the ZST and ZS6 that I was interpreting as sharp? Like 9.8kHz? Maybe it's a difference with impedance/voltage/current matching between the ZST and ZS6. None of those things show up on a FR graph either.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017 at 9:14 PM Post #24,123 of 63,834
Well I am 19 and have definitely not destroyed by hearing by going to any music concerts and I found the ZS5 v2 harsh at first but having them for almost 1 month I have gotten used to them. I still find some track harsh but I just avoid them because they were just recorded that way.My previous iem were the ZS3 which were way more bassay and much darker that may be also a reason why I interpreted the ZS5 to be too bright and took a while to appreciate their bass.

Oct 25, 2017 at 9:14 PM Post #24,124 of 63,834
OK, I am apparently in denial or deaf. Oh well... enjoying my music anyway through these SZ6s connected to my Opus#1 right now, Happy to have them.

They sounded good out of the box but I have been burning them in for around 30 hours now...whether they need it or not.

Admit it - you're in denial with what you hear! ;0)

Oct 25, 2017 at 9:16 PM Post #24,125 of 63,834
Well, in addition to normal aging, I definitely have some hearing loss and tinitus.
  • DJing in a night club in the 90s
  • Running my own DJ remix subscription service (headphones blasting every free minute of my spare time producing remixes)
  • Attending a hundreds of clubs and concerts with zero hearing protection (ears would ring for days sometimes)
  • Had a ~10 year job where I used a giant industrial rotary tool for 8 hours/day similar to what dentist's use when they drill (called a Foredom Flexshaft).
It's a wonder I have any hearing left at all LOL.

Wow that is a lot of abuse for your poor ears. I have taken pretty good care of mine. I have always liked to have some quiet time and have never listened at very high volumes. I did go to a few arena concerts in the 80s that were too loud but most of my live music has been in smaller more intimate venues. I do remember one night when the guitars were too loud for the room. Quite a few people actually walked out.

I am not sure if iems themselves could be worse for the the ears than headphones or speakers. I actually have listened with speakers for many more years than headphones. I have only been using iems for a few months.

Oct 25, 2017 at 9:20 PM Post #24,126 of 63,834
Admit it - you're in denial with what you hear! ;0)

Sure... why not... it is late and I am tired so I will just admit I am in denial. Back to the music now...

oops... Opus is at 12%,,,, and I just tried to insert a C connector into the micro usb port :)

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017 at 9:22 PM Post #24,127 of 63,834
I think at least 50% of the complaints with the ZS5 (v1 anyways) is some issue with source matching - something with impedance (and how it pertains to voltage/current), amping vs non-amping, and possibly the cable used (stock vs upgrade; or in other words cable impedance's effect on the sound).

I know the ZS5 (v1) sounds poor when I use my iPhone vs xduoo X3+amp. And it also sounds poor when I use the KZ bluetooth cable.

I've only used the ZS6 with xduoo X3+amp and the 6-braided SP cable.

Thanks. When and if you want, let us know how the ZS6 perform also on your phone and, eventually, if you feel some difference with your sources using the stock cable.

Bye... :sleepy::zzz:

Oct 25, 2017 at 9:27 PM Post #24,128 of 63,834
:smile:

Who knows...

I just find strange that, for Slater, the ZST is damn sibilant but not the ZS6.

See this graph:

KZ-ZST-web.jpg

Ok that is better to do comparison between graphs taken with the same stuff, but seeing this the highs seem even more pronounced on ZS6, at 8khz, and just the same after...

Oh well...

...this is what is important. Than anyone can find it's personal better balance between foam, EQ and/or adapters :thumbsup:

For sibillance, you want to look at both the frequency response and the impulse response. More specifically, does the impulse show a ringing nature? The ringing indicates that percussive of sharp high notes continue to have energy released after the note or sound is supposed to end. That's the sound we hear and denote as sibillance.

Oct 25, 2017 at 9:30 PM Post #24,129 of 63,834
For sibillance, you want to look at both the frequency response and the impulse response. More specifically, does the impulse show a ringing nature? The ringing indicates that percussive of sharp high notes continue to have energy released after the note or sound is supposed to end. That's the sound we hear and denote as sibillance.

How do you (or can you even) measure/verify impulse response? Do you need an oscilloscope, or do you use use specific waveforms or something?

Oct 25, 2017 at 9:35 PM Post #24,130 of 63,834
Is not also true that a sibilance presence on a recording can be more noticeable and unpleasant on brighter headphones with peaky highs ?

Oct 25, 2017 at 9:39 PM Post #24,131 of 63,834
No, it's measured by the same methods that are used to measure the frequency response. There are several ways to do it - one way is to generate a sharp sound and measure the decay trace with an oscilloscope. The common way is to mathematically derive it from spectral Fast Fourier Transform methods like how REW does it. So all the guys who have done measurements in REW already, just click on the impulse response tab. Display the % scale and click step response. This shows both an impulse response and a step finxduon response.

@Superluc: yes, the sibillance in a recording can be made worse by a headphone (or speaker) that has a ringing response. The ringing response is more common on speakers with aluminum cone drivers. Not always true as certain manufacturers have solved it by adding a rubber dampening coating at strategic points. It can also be fixed by mechanical geometry. Adding pentagonal symmetry seems to help as that doesn't support drum head modes of resonance on the diaphragm.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017 at 9:44 PM Post #24,132 of 63,834
No, it's measured by the same methods that are used to measure the frequency response. There are several ways to do it - one way is to generate a sharp sound and measure the decay trace with an oscilloscope. The common way is to mathematically derive it from spectral Fast Fourier Transform methods like how REW does it. So all the guys who have done meaidements in REW already, just click on the impulse response tab. Display the % scale and click step response. This shows both an impulse response and a step finxduon response.

Hmmm, a lot of what you're saying sounds like when the adults speak in Charlie Brown shows haha ;0)

Do either of these ZST graphs show what you're referring to?

waveform1.png waveform2.png

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017 at 9:45 PM Post #24,133 of 63,834
definition of sibilance:

Sibilance is a manner of articulation of fricative and affricate consonants, made by directing a stream of air with the tongue towards the sharp edge of the teeth, which are held close together; a consonant that uses sibilance may be called a sibilant, or a strident.

Oct 25, 2017 at 9:53 PM Post #24,134 of 63,834
Speaking of sources.... last night I used my Cayin N3 with the ZS6 and everything sounded great. Tonight I was using the Opus#1...also great... maybe even better but I don't know if it was a bit of burn in on the ZS6s or the Dap itself or just me. Now the Opus is back on the charger and the lowly Ruizu A50 has taken over.... ZS6 still sounding great. I cannot test with a phone because I don't have one. My mobile phone is just a plain emergency only thing. I could try it out of my iPad or android tablet with some youtube videos but I expect it would sound horrible. I have not bothered to try them with my desktop setup. I don't want to be tethered by an iem.

Oct 25, 2017 at 10:14 PM Post #24,135 of 63,834
They are both cables advertised for the ZST (ie with the bent 90-degree ZST plugs at the 2-pin ends).

The one I’m using on the ZS5 and ZS6 is the one with the silver aluminum 2-pin plugs where people chop off the translucent plastic tips to get them to fit flush on the ZS5 and ZS6. It also has a straight silver aluminum 3.5mm plug, not the molded 90-degree rubbery plug you usually see on all of the other KZ cables. And yes it’s braided with 6 individual wires, with what appears to be braided shielding on each individual wire. An absolutely beautiful cable and cheap price for what you get.
Can you post a link to the one you bought? I've seen it on the thread a few times now and I like the look of it more each time.

Related but different question for anyone's opinion...
Does having a 90° or 45° bend in the jack end of the cable make an actual difference in terms of cable survival? Or is it just marketing and a appearance?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back