1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread

1. hakuzen
    i've been checking my notes about nx1 hiss.
    check them at https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...utorial-in-post-2.800208/page-6#post-12994430
    "In low gain, the hiss is maximum (and clearly noticeable) at minimum volume, and goes lower when raising the volume (it is low at 3/4 volume, and it disappears at maximum volume).
    In high gain, you get maximum hiss at minimum and maximum volume, less hiss at medium (12h) volume."
    after measuring it, decided to only use low gain mode. in that mode, you'll probably set high volume, and hiss is minimum there.
    i got the nx1a for longer battery autonomy. it's very affordable, and i think it would be suitable for zs5 and other low impedance.
    i dunno about its power (limits of current regards of load) and distortion. i should measure it with zs5. will do it.

EDIT: nah, forget it. low current capable. higher distortion than desirable. not suitable for ZS5.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
  2. HerrWallen
    Ofcourse, why didn't I think of that?! I'm so used to it being more of distorted kind of whistle.
    I have mostly been dealing with head-phones, these are the second pair of IEMs that I actually liked and the first one with armature drivers so I'm new to the specific sound it produces (was thinking electriostatics before I got them).

Sure, but it'll have to wait until the weekend. I'm absolutely swamped atm, it is 2AM here in Sweden and I should be sleeping.. hours ago :D

Superluc likes this.
  3. Slater
    I'm not convinced that the ZST and ZS6 have identical insertion depths. I'll measure it with calipers to verify, and update this post. But I'm fairly certain that I get a deeper insertion with the ZST (before the shell bottoms out against my ear).

Also, I forgot to list age as an important factor in my previous post a few posts ago. I'm over 40, and high frequencies are the 1st to go as we age. So maybe it would be helpful to list approximate ages when we post impressions (or if it's uncomfortable, maybe list "under 20", "20-30", "over 40", "in my 60s", etc).

I'm in my early 40s, and in sweep tests my maximum audible frequency is 16-17k.

Of course that's well above the treble spike of 10k seen on the ZS6 FR graphs. But since I'm not an audiologist, I don't know if:

1. as we age we ONLY lose high frequency (like a sharp cutoff filter),
    or
    2. as we age we lose high frequency (like a sharp cutoff filter) AND at the same time we ALSO lose a few dbs of lower high frequency ranges (like a smooth decline, followed by a sharp cutoff).

If it's #2, that could explain some of the differences in what is being reported.

Does anyone know? Maybe next time I run into an audiologist I'll ask for clarification.

Here's a generic guide of age-based high frequency hearing loss:

hearing loss over time - Edited.jpg

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
  4. Wiljen
    I'll second that. The ZST fits way more flush on my ear than the Zs6.

5. Superluc
    I was talking about the reversed opinions on ZS5v1 vs ZS6 :worried:

6. mbwilson111
    Yes the ZS6 has a beautiful midrange. Listening again now...I hope I have the sense to go to sleep sooner than I did last night!

7. mbwilson111
    Eek! I am not saying anything...

groucho69 and skajohyros like this.
  8. Francisk
    Not to worry Superluc, there are many people in this world who refuse to accept the truth. To me, the ZS6 is definitely peakier in the high frequencies region than the ZST and I'm glad that you have the graph to prove it.

9. Slater
    Oh, I gotcha.

I think at least 50% of the complaints with the ZS5 (v1 anyways) is some issue with source matching - something with impedance (and how it pertains to voltage/current), amping vs non-amping, and possibly the cable used (stock vs upgrade; or in other words cable impedance's effect on the sound).

I know the ZS5 (v1) sounds poor when I use my iPhone vs xduoo X3+amp. And it also sounds poor when I use the KZ bluetooth cable.

I don't have ZS5 v2 (yet), so I can't comment on v1 vs v2.

The ZST sounds great no matter what cable or source I use.

I've only used the ZS6 with xduoo X3+amp and the 6-braided SP cable.

There has been a lot of discussion about the ZS5 lately as it pertains to impedance, and I think this is the key to unlocking it's best sound.

loomisjohnson likes this.
  10. Slater
    Just to clarify - you're saying that you know what I hear better than I do, correct?

Because I just want to make sure I'm understanding you properly.

And it's good to know that FR graphs show sibilance too. I'm learning a lot of new things today!

carnac_the_magnificent.png

groucho69 and mbwilson111 like this.
  11. Francisk
    I'm over 50 and I definitely can hear way past 12kHz....I'll consider that a bonus gift from God...LOL.

mbwilson111 likes this.
  12. SomeGuyDude
    Age matters, but it's also not a one-size-fits-all situation. If you blow your ears out at concerts you can have shot treble sensitivity in your 20s and it's possible to have sharp hearing well into middle age and past.

13. Francisk
    What I'm saying is that graphs don't lie as long as comparative measurement of 2 IEMs are done by the same equipment and environment by the same person.

14. mbwilson111
    OK, I am apparently in denial or deaf. Oh well... enjoying my music anyway through these SZ6s connected to my Opus#1 right now, Happy to have them.

They sounded good out of the box but I have been burning them in for around 30 hours now...whether they need it or not.

15. Slater
    Well, in addition to normal aging, I definitely have some hearing loss and tinitus.
    • DJing in a night club in the 90s
    • Running my own DJ remix subscription service (headphones blasting every free minute of my spare time producing remixes)
    • Attending hundreds of clubs and concerts for years with zero hearing protection (ears would ring for days sometimes)
    • Had a ~10 year job where I used a giant industrial rotary tool for 8 hours/day similar to what dentist's use when they drill (called a Foredom Flexshaft).
    It's a wonder I have any hearing left at all LOL.

Young and dumb, young and dumb. I'm definitely ultra careful now - hearing protection when using any power tool, when mowing the lawn, at every concert, loud bars, headphones/IEMs at low volumes, etc. I have to protect what I have left (especially the tinnitus which is really annoying and I'd pay just about anything to get rid of it).