Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Oct 25, 2017 at 8:05 PM Post #24,106 of 63,922
Thanks a lot. Tbh an amp looks optimal, I was looking into prices as well. I'm honestly just gonna get a nx1 cuz it's very cheap and another sets of buds. But since u mentioned it hisses a lot, are there any better alternatives? I won't mind a slight bump in price, thanks as usual ^^. Also learning a lot from these graphs u and others are posting, man I just realized i got a lot to learn
i've been checking my notes about nx1 hiss.
check them at https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...utorial-in-post-2.800208/page-6#post-12994430
"In low gain, the hiss is maximum (and clearly noticeable) at minimum volume, and goes lower when raising the volume (it is low at 3/4 volume, and it disappears at maximum volume).
In high gain, you get maximum hiss at minimum and maximum volume, less hiss at medium (12h) volume."
after measuring it, decided to only use low gain mode. in that mode, you'll probably set high volume, and hiss is minimum there.
i got the nx1a for longer battery autonomy. it's very affordable, and i think it would be suitable for zs5 and other low impedance.
i dunno about its power (limits of current regards of load) and distortion. i should measure it with zs5. will do it.

EDIT: nah, forget it. low current capable. higher distortion than desirable. not suitable for ZS5.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017 at 8:20 PM Post #24,107 of 63,922
And the “s-ing” you’re talking about is sibilance.

Ofcourse, why didn't I think of that?! I'm so used to it being more of distorted kind of whistle.
I have mostly been dealing with head-phones, these are the second pair of IEMs that I actually liked and the first one with armature drivers so I'm new to the specific sound it produces (was thinking electriostatics before I got them).

Can you make a photo of this ?
Sure, but it'll have to wait until the weekend. I'm absolutely swamped atm, it is 2AM here in Sweden and I should be sleeping.. hours ago :D

Oct 25, 2017 at 8:30 PM Post #24,108 of 63,922
They are, but we are talking about two models with same insertion depth and tips but reversed opinions on highs response between some users...
The only abnormality someone have pointed out is the different impact of impedance output between different source, but we can say for sure that is only that ?

If is that is better... no one want to toss a coin hoping to receive the corrected one. We can say the same between ZS5 v1 vs v2 discussion, that is very confusing.

Can you make a photo of this ? :pray:

I'm not sure to have understand how you have folded the foam on them :sweat_smile:

I'm not convinced that the ZST and ZS6 have identical insertion depths. I'll measure it with calipers to verify, and update this post. But I'm fairly certain that I get a deeper insertion with the ZST (before the shell bottoms out against my ear).

Also, I forgot to list age as an important factor in my previous post a few posts ago. I'm over 40, and high frequencies are the 1st to go as we age. So maybe it would be helpful to list approximate ages when we post impressions (or if it's uncomfortable, maybe list "under 20", "20-30", "over 40", "in my 60s", etc).

I'm in my early 40s, and in sweep tests my maximum audible frequency is 16-17k.

Of course that's well above the treble spike of 10k seen on the ZS6 FR graphs. But since I'm not an audiologist, I don't know if:

1. as we age we ONLY lose high frequency (like a sharp cutoff filter),
or
2. as we age we lose high frequency (like a sharp cutoff filter) AND at the same time we ALSO lose a few dbs of lower high frequency ranges (like a smooth decline, followed by a sharp cutoff).

If it's #2, that could explain some of the differences in what is being reported.

Does anyone know? Maybe next time I run into an audiologist I'll ask for clarification.

Here's a generic guide of age-based high frequency hearing loss:

hearing loss over time - Edited.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017 at 8:34 PM Post #24,109 of 63,922
I'm not convinced that the ZST and ZS6 have identical insertion depths.

I guess I need to go measure it with calipers to verify, but I'm certain that I get a deeper insertion with the ZST (before the shell bottoms out against my ear).

I'll second that. The ZST fits way more flush on my ear than the Zs6.

Oct 25, 2017 at 8:35 PM Post #24,111 of 63,922
These IEMs actually have a great mid-range, it doesn't nearly get the praise it deserves!

Yes the ZS6 has a beautiful midrange. Listening again now...I hope I have the sense to go to sleep sooner than I did last night!

Oct 25, 2017 at 8:41 PM Post #24,112 of 63,922
Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017 at 8:46 PM Post #24,113 of 63,922
:smile:

Who knows...

I just find strange that, for Slater, the ZST is damn sibilant but not the ZS6.

See this graph:

KZ-ZST-web.jpg

Ok that is better to do comparison between graphs taken with the same stuff, but seeing this the highs seem even more pronounced on ZS6, at 8khz, and just the same after...

Oh well...

...this is what is important. Than anyone can find it's personal better balance between foam, EQ and/or adapters :thumbsup:
Not to worry Superluc, there are many people in this world who refuse to accept the truth. To me, the ZS6 is definitely peakier in the high frequencies region than the ZST and I'm glad that you have the graph to prove it.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017 at 8:48 PM Post #24,114 of 63,922
I was talking about the reversed opinions on ZS5v1 vs ZS6 :worried:

Oh, I gotcha.

I think at least 50% of the complaints with the ZS5 (v1 anyways) is some issue with source matching - something with impedance (and how it pertains to voltage/current), amping vs non-amping, and possibly the cable used (stock vs upgrade; or in other words cable impedance's effect on the sound).

I know the ZS5 (v1) sounds poor when I use my iPhone vs xduoo X3+amp. And it also sounds poor when I use the KZ bluetooth cable.

I don't have ZS5 v2 (yet), so I can't comment on v1 vs v2.

The ZST sounds great no matter what cable or source I use.

I've only used the ZS6 with xduoo X3+amp and the 6-braided SP cable.

There has been a lot of discussion about the ZS5 lately as it pertains to impedance, and I think this is the key to unlocking it's best sound.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017 at 8:53 PM Post #24,115 of 63,922
Not to worry Superluc, there are many people in this world who lives in denial and refuse to accept the truth. To me, the ZS6 is definitely peakier in the high frequencies region than the ZST and I'm glad that you have the graph to prove it.

Just to clarify - you're saying that you know what I hear better than I do, correct?

Because I just want to make sure I'm understanding you properly.

And it's good to know that FR graphs show sibilance too. I'm learning a lot of new things today!

carnac_the_magnificent.png

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017 at 8:57 PM Post #24,116 of 63,922
I'm not convinced that the ZST and ZS6 have identical insertion depths. I'll measure it with calipers to verify, and update this post. But I'm fairly certain that I get a deeper insertion with the ZST (before the shell bottoms out against my ear).

Also, I forgot to list age as an important factor in my previous post a few posts ago. I'm over 40, and high frequencies are the 1st to go as we age. So maybe it would be helpful to list approximate ages when we post impressions (or if it's uncomfortable, maybe list "under 20", "20-30", "over 40", "in my 60s", etc).

I'm in my early 40s, and in sweep tests my maximum audible frequency is 16-17k.

Of course that's well above the treble spike of 10k seen on the ZS6 FR graphs. But since I'm not an audiologist, I don't know if:

1. as we age we ONLY lose high frequency (like a sharp cutoff filter),
or
2. as we age we lose high frequency (like a sharp cutoff filter) AND at the same time we ALSO lose a few dbs of lower high frequency ranges (like a smooth decline, followed by a sharp cutoff).

If it's #2, that could explain some of the differences in what is being reported.

Does anyone know? Maybe next time I run into an audiologist I'll ask for clarification.

Here's a generic guide of age-based high frequency hearing loss:

I'm over 50 and I definitely can hear way past 12kHz....I'll consider that a bonus gift from God...LOL.

Oct 25, 2017 at 8:58 PM Post #24,117 of 63,922
Age matters, but it's also not a one-size-fits-all situation. If you blow your ears out at concerts you can have shot treble sensitivity in your 20s and it's possible to have sharp hearing well into middle age and past.

Oct 25, 2017 at 9:02 PM Post #24,118 of 63,922
Just to clarify - you're saying that you know what I hear better than I do, correct?

Because I just want to make sure I'm understanding you properly.

And that's good to know that FR graphs show sibilance too. I'm just learning a lot of new things today!

What I'm saying is that graphs don't lie as long as comparative measurement of 2 IEMs are done by the same equipment and environment by the same person.

Oct 25, 2017 at 9:05 PM Post #24,119 of 63,922
there are many people in this world who refuse to accept the truth

OK, I am apparently in denial or deaf. Oh well... enjoying my music anyway through these SZ6s connected to my Opus#1 right now, Happy to have them.

They sounded good out of the box but I have been burning them in for around 30 hours now...whether they need it or not.

Oct 25, 2017 at 9:08 PM Post #24,120 of 63,922
Age matters, but it's also not a one-size-fits-all situation. If you blow your ears out at concerts you can have shot treble sensitivity in your 20s and it's possible to have sharp hearing well into middle age and past.

Well, in addition to normal aging, I definitely have some hearing loss and tinitus.
  • DJing in a night club in the 90s
  • Running my own DJ remix subscription service (headphones blasting every free minute of my spare time producing remixes)
  • Attending hundreds of clubs and concerts for years with zero hearing protection (ears would ring for days sometimes)
  • Had a ~10 year job where I used a giant industrial rotary tool for 8 hours/day similar to what dentist's use when they drill (called a Foredom Flexshaft).
It's a wonder I have any hearing left at all LOL.

Young and dumb, young and dumb. I'm definitely ultra careful now - hearing protection when using any power tool, when mowing the lawn, at every concert, loud bars, headphones/IEMs at low volumes, etc. I have to protect what I have left (especially the tinnitus which is really annoying and I'd pay just about anything to get rid of it).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back